PDA

View Full Version : shin conditioning

xiao yao
06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi guys

Im doing body conditioning training and Im wanting to get some opinions of shin conditioning. Ive been lightly kicking trees and rolling my shins with a wooden baton. if theres bruising i use yunnan baiyao on it.

Ive read and heard different points of view on this. Some people say its safe, some say its unsafe, Im thinking if I just do it once a week, its probably ok.

YouKnowWho
06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
lightly kicking trees and rolling my shins with a wooden baton.
Find a small tree with smooth surface and press your shin bone against it will give you good result plus some other benefit. If small tree is not available, put a PVC pipe on the ground will work too.

If you have training partner, you can ask him to give you below the knee low roundhouse kick. You then turn you shin bone into the kick.

sanjuro_ronin
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Most Thai guys just kick the bag, the denser, bottom part.
Of course they do LOTS of kicking, LOL !
If you want to kick a tree or post, make sure it is lightly padded and has give.

JamesC
06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I know some kenpo guys that take a package of wooden chop sticks, break them up and put them in a bundle. They come in packs of 2, so you take one and turn it around so they fit together, hold the bundle together using rubberbands and roll them up and down your shins.

sanjuro_ronin
06-08-2011, 12:25 PM
The rolling thing just desensitizes it.
You want to "IP" your shins, build the density BUT keep the sensitivity.

JamesC
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Mine USED to be conditioned from all the bag kicks.

Found out the other night that this no longer applies. :( Ouch.

YouKnowWho
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
BUT keep the sensitivity.

It's pretty hard to keep the shin bone sensitive after a while. Sometime you won't even feel that your leg is breeding from cutting.

JamesC
06-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Birth control, John. Birth control.

sanjuro_ronin
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Mine USED to be conditioned from all the bag kicks.

Found out the other night that this no longer applies. :( Ouch.

Don't confuse sensitivity with lack of conditioning.
If I ever lost some time, like a month for example, it stings when I get back to kicking that bag, but after a round or so, the sting is gone and I hit just as hard as ever.
Then, after a few sessions, the "sting" is gone again.

JamesC
06-08-2011, 12:41 PM
That's encouraging.

I'll have to kick the bag for a few more days and see if it improves

sanjuro_ronin
06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
That's encouraging.

I'll have to kick the bag for a few more days and see if it improves

You'll see.
Unless you do WC or some internal crap, then you'll be weak and pussified for life.
:D

Iron_Eagle_76
06-08-2011, 12:52 PM
If you want to kick a tree or post, make sure it is lightly padded and has give.

Hey now, I thought you were a Kyokushin guy with manly shins who didn't believe in those "Thai Shin Guards":eek: Pick a side, man!:p

sanjuro_ronin
06-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Hey now, I thought you were a Kyokushin guy with manly shins who didn't believe in those "Thai Shin Guards":eek: Pick a side, man!:p

LMAO !!
Indeed.
But even kyokushin guys kick a makiwara, which is PADDED !
Hey, here's one for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKv4GzeI9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKv4GzeI9E

bawang
06-08-2011, 01:24 PM
start with light tapping just like any other iron body training

wolf3001
06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
I have heard of different methods of doing it. I have yet to try this because I don't have the space but someone said to me years ago a Wing Chun Sifu was using a bag filled with sand. I think the way he was doing it was he used an old heavy bag or something. Im no expert on the subject but I think kicking a larger surface area would be better. I would like to set up a bag but have no space for one right now. I have seen many roll a bar or wood from a broom or something up and down the shin using light taps.

David Jamieson
06-08-2011, 01:43 PM
start with light tapping just like any other iron body training

holy crap!!! Bawang gave some good advice! :eek:

no, really he did. :D

bawang
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
one time i hit too hard in iron shirt training and i shat blood for 2 weeks

monkey mind
06-09-2011, 04:52 AM
I spent 1.5 years at a Muay Thai camp in Thailand. We kicked the heavy bag, over and over, and got a decent level of shin conditioning just from that. For those who wanted more, we had a stack of car tires with a concrete post in the middle. We'd kick (and punch, knee, elbow) the tires, 25 times each leg per day. Started out with little power but after a couple months I could kick those tires with my shin at about 80% power with no pain at all. The conditioning I got out of all this was definitely sufficient for fighting in the ring. And this was without a loss of sensitivity to light touch on the skin. My theory was that with increased bone density, my body knew that the heavier impacts were no longer potentially dangerous. Therefore, there was no need to trigger the pain (i.e. danger) feedback loop.

I have a stack of tires at my house now, but don't get around to kicking them much. Mostly they just remind me of what a badass I used to be! :D

David Jamieson
06-09-2011, 06:06 AM
My theory was that with increased bone density, my body knew that the heavier impacts were no longer potentially dangerous. Therefore, there was no need to trigger the pain (i.e. danger) feedback loop.

...actually, you have killed some nerve endings and that's why they're not firing anymore.

neuropathy is common in repetitive strikes with a given surface. You don't kill em all, but you have likely damaged a lot of them. You have also increased the density of the bone through the vibrations and you have thickened the skin somewhat.

monkey mind
06-09-2011, 06:53 AM
...actually, you have killed some nerve endings and that's why they're not firing anymore.

neuropathy is common in repetitive strikes with a given surface. You don't kill em all, but you have likely damaged a lot of them. You have also increased the density of the bone through the vibrations and you have thickened the skin somewhat.

Well, I don't know the details of innervation to the lower leg, but I definitely didn't perceive a loss of sensation. At the time I was getting lots of reflexology & I would have noticed if things felt differently as my training progressed. I could still feel touch, even very light touch, to my shins. I just didn't feel pain with heavy impact. That was then though. These days I definitely can't kick hard surfaces like that.

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Well, I don't know the details of innervation to the lower leg, but I definitely didn't perceive a loss of sensation. At the time I was getting lots of reflexology & I would have noticed if things felt differently as my training progressed. I could still feel touch, even very light touch, to my shins. I just didn't feel pain with heavy impact. That was then though. These days I definitely can't kick hard surfaces like that.

You can't kick them because it hurts or because you can't?

Frost
06-09-2011, 09:51 AM

this kick the bag and pads a lot, you dont need to do anything stupid conditioning wise for the shins...and this goes for most other parts of the body too

donjitsu2
06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Wooden roller for your shins + shin kicks to a dense, Thai-style heavy bag =

Tough ass shins!

monkey mind
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
You can't kick them because it hurts or because you can't?

Because it hurts. I do kick the tires from time to time but with much less force than I used to. Mostly these days I kick the Thai pads.

sanjuro_ronin
06-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Because it hurts. I do kick the tires from time to time but with much less force than I used to. Mostly these days I kick the Thai pads.

That's a sensitivity issue, that's all.

goju
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
I have a wave master in my garage i like using for this.Ive filled it all the way to the top with sand so its solid Its essentially like pole conditioning but the light padding wrapped around it keeps the training sensible.

Lee Chiang Po
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I never could understand a person using such a delicate spot as an impact weapon. Beating all the hide and meat off your shin bones so you can use it as a weapon. Makes about as much sense as slamming a tree over and over with your face so you can just face butt your opponent to death. The instep, and right where the ankle joints to the leg is also full of nerves and can offer you some real misery if struck just right. And you guys are beating it against stuff? It is a good thing you guys spend all your time here talking crap instead of out getting into fights. You would just beat yourselves to death.

goju
06-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I never could understand a person using such a delicate spot as an impact weapon. Beating all the hide and meat off your shin bones so you can use it as a weapon. Makes about as much sense as slamming a tree over and over with your face so you can just face butt your opponent to death. The instep, and right where the ankle joints to the leg is also full of nerves and can offer you some real misery if struck just right. And you guys are beating it against stuff? It is a good thing you guys spend all your time here talking crap instead of out getting into fights. You would just beat yourselves to death.

Well we cant all be former hung gar assasins for the triads

or was it the legion of doom ? i cant remember?:D

monkey mind
06-10-2011, 07:25 PM
That's a sensitivity issue, that's all.

Right. And wouldn't that suggest that I didn't suffer extensive nerve damage as a result of my training?

Lee Chiang Po
06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Well we cant all be former hung gar assasins for the triads

or was it the legion of doom ? i cant remember?:D

I am sorry. I am not familiar with hung gar. Or the triads, or the Legion of DOOM?

charp choi
06-21-2011, 11:36 AM
In Chow Gar SPM we use another person's shins for conditioning. You can use a metal bar to roll up and down your shins as well. Also use plenty of jow.

similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chowgartonglong8#p/a/u/1/sB3E59Fjbdc