PDA

View Full Version : Request for information - Toronto Area

SimonM
06-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi gang,

Once again I've stupidly let myself go and need to get back into shape desperately. I'm interested in getting back into martial arts but relocated from London to Toronto.

My three prerequisites:

1) Live Sparring I do not want to end up somewhere where they think their art is too deadly for the ring.

2) Sword - particularly a school with resistance practice.

3) In the GTA.

A CMA school is of course preferred but not required. Any tips?

David Jamieson
06-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Where are you at in Toronto Simon?

Are you looking to get into competitions?

I can't think of any "traditional" kung fu schools that will have you live sparring off the bat or sword sparring.

However, I can think of several mma joints that will have you on the matt in a matter of months doing full contact if that's what you like.

For sword, join a fencing club. You'll get more practical sword use knowledge from that as opposed to waiting to learn a sword form, then apps, then resistent live sparring.

I can't think of a single club in the GTA that will offer you what you are looking for right off the street.

bawang
06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
martial arts wont get you back in shape. you need a gym membership

SimonM
06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
I need to get back into something vaguely resembling shape before I consider competition. Two years sitting on my ass writing a book were not kind to my waistline. :eek:

I won't lie: I just like stepping into the ring - it's fun. ;)

I am in Danforth Village.

Sad there isn't anywhere in t-dot for sword sparring and boxing; there is a school for that in London (my old one) and not a day goes by that I don't miss them. It's just life took me to a different place.

Thanks for the info anyway David.

David Jamieson
06-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I need to get back into something vaguely resembling shape before I consider competition. Two years sitting on my ass writing a book were not kind to my waistline. :eek:

Sad there isn't anywhere in t-dot for sword sparring and boxing; there is a school for that in London (my old one) and not a day goes by that I don't miss them. It's just life took me to a different place.

London has a crapload of martial arts schools. I think they have more per capita than anywhere else in north america.

millionaires too.

go figure.

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 10:32 AM

You may have to go to multiple places.
Of course if you are OK with the Japanese systems you can join the Japanese cultural center and get Judo and Kendo, I was there for a few years.
But TCMA ??
Nah, you won't find any COMMERCIAL school like that.

SimonM
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Judo and Kendo just might scratch my itch... if I can't find a CMA alternative...

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Judo and Kendo just might scratch my itch... if I can't find a CMA alternative...

Have you tried the JingWu academy?
Not sure if they have what you are looking for, but if anyone does, they might.

bawang
06-09-2011, 10:48 AM
i thought they closed a long time ago?

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 10:54 AM

That is a small deterrent for a real kung fu man !!
:D

SimonM
06-09-2011, 10:54 AM

I was operating under the same assumption. Also I didn't realize there was a Jing Wu in Toronto. If there is that would be very good.

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.martialartsclubdirectory.com/martial-arts/Canada/Ontario/Toronto/kung-fu-schools/

Maybe this can help.
I recall a "white tiger" school that did kung fu and MMA together, or at least I think that was their name...

David Jamieson
06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I was operating under the same assumption. Also I didn't realize there was a Jing Wu in Toronto. If there is that would be very good.

There's a big martial arts mishmash club on Queen street.
There is also the Japan cultural centre on the Danforth and...*sigh* a wing chun club..:p

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
There is also the Japan cultural centre on the Danforth and...*sigh* a wing chun club..:p

The Karate dojo is Okuyama's I went there for a bit, good old school shotokan under Kubota.

SimonM
06-09-2011, 11:07 AM

I think I've seen it. Twin Dragons?

Wasn't very impressed.

Shotokan is generally pretty respectable though...

David Jamieson
06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I think I've seen it. Twin Dragons?

Wasn't very impressed.

Shotokan is generally pretty respectable though...

shotokan won't have you free sparring and will have you dong mostly kata work, some drills and occasional kumite (what they consider sparring).

You will get out of anything what you put into it though.

If you check out Hong Luck on Spadina & Dundas I believe they offer san shou now as well as trad chinese martial arts.

http://www.hongluck.org

and you can get there via subway all the way! :)

SimonM
06-09-2011, 11:35 AM
If you check out Hong Luck on Spadina & Dundas I believe they offer san shou now as well as trad chinese martial arts.

http://www.hongluck.org

and you can get there via subway all the way! :)

I've been considering Hong Luck. I spend enough time in the neighbourhood that it could work out for location.

Have you trained with them at all?

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I've been considering Hong Luck. I spend enough time in the neighbourhood that it could work out for location.

Good school, good CLF.
Was there for a bit but found something more to my liking and left but that was like 90 or 91 from what I recall.

SimonM
06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys. I was kind of hoping the two of you could recommend a place and voila!

I'll check them out. :D

David Jamieson
06-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Nope. They are CLF, I'm Hung. :)
Still, I've trained with others who have experience there and have corresponded with a few others.

Paul has a good reputation as a teacher and I have actually never once heard anything bad about his club. Only good things and my impressions of those who studied in his school were always positive.

Also, he has a tremendously long track record, the oldest Kung Fu school in Toronto etc etc etc.

Probably right up your alley man. :)

SimonM
06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you kindly.

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I'd love to take you one myself dude, but I can't even manage time to meet up with David and Rob or Bawang !
Sucks to have such limited time but such is life.
Between running the business, two kids and training myself with a 1 hour window between 5 and 6...I have become a 6th degree BB in juggling !!

SimonM
06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
LOL Awesome comment. Yeah, life can get hectic, I'm working full time, have two volunteer jobs, am trying to sell my book, am going back to school in September, so I KNOW busy but I decided I needed to get back into martial arts and back into working out again.

David Jamieson
06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
...I have become a 6th degree BB in juggling !!

I sense a Uki challenge coming from this...lol

SimonM
06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Is Uki still around then? Most awesome troll ever.

Violent Designs
06-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Have you considered Toronto Buk Sing Kwoon.

SimonM
06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I haven't heard of them. What do they teach?

SimonM
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm also looking into the JiFeng Martial Arts Club. It's encouraging that their video footage is all sparring and they apparently specialize in BaJi (which I've wanted to learn for a few years now).

Violent Designs
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I haven't heard of them. What do they teach?

They teach Choy Lay Fut Buk Sing the third distinct line of CLF. Most of the focus is on applications, sparring and fighting principle as befitting of all Buk Sing schools.

But of course it is just a recommendation, and I am not familiar with Toronto CMA scene, that is the only place I know a bit of information on.

BDBSK who posts here trains at that place.

Brule
06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Some links for CMA in the GTA:

http://www.quocwaikungfu.com/
http://www.wix.com/torontobsk/toronto-buk-sing-kwoon
http://fightingfaction.com/

More internal stuff...:)

http://www.chiinnature.com/

David Jamieson
06-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure Glen Doyle teaches out of Milton. That's the fighting faction one.

Brampton is north of the city, past the airport. That's the quocwai one.

The CLF school doesn't say where it is on it's site.

Brule
06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Here another CLF i found, probably associated to the first link. This one is Richmond Hill.

http://torontobuksing.page.tl/

Ao Qin
06-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi Everyone - there will be a massive celebration of this club's 50th anniversary teaching kungfu there, in mid-August. Planning for 50 Lion's going through Chinatown. I'll be there with my Sifu and his senior students as well (they are related - both teach the art of Grandmaster Wong Cheun Yip). There will be many masters performing as well at the feasts which follow.

If you want traditional kungfu in Toronto, this might be a good introduction...although it may be invitation only, and it's not posted on their website.

Cheers - AQ

Ao Qin
06-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Any Dragoners / Bak Mei guys I could meet up there with at this time? Please contact me at dragon-kf@mts.net

Cheers - kevin