PDA

View Full Version : Good WC schools in Los Angeles?

Miguel
06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I recently moved into Koreatown, sort of central LA, and have been trying to find a good WC school in the area. I only trained for 3 months under a Sifu that I really liked, but unfortunately live too far to commute now. So basically I don't know what to look out for with what makes a not-so-good school.

I'm closest to CAMA with Todd Shawn Tei who doesn't seem to have good reviews on here. I know there are a lot of other schools in the area but am having a hard time tracking them down. Too far from Gary Lam so that one's out, so far all I've found are Eric Oram and Hawkins Cheung, and I don't know too much about either of those places although I do hear good things about Hawkins' school. Are there any others in the area?

Buddha_Fist
06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Just sent you a PM....

Eric_H
06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Are you anywhere near Ernie Barrios? I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.

couch
06-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Are you anywhere near Ernie Barrios? I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.

Second that. http://www.abmvt.com/

Even if you could only make it out for the weekend sessions here and there - do it!

sihing
06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
A recent posting on the ABMVT page on facebook from Ernie regarding new students :
"Starting the interview process for a few new prospective members applying to join up with the ABMVT LA crew ..Unlike most schools we don't just take anyone and everyone in . A person has to have the right elements [Good heart No Ego open mind ''not some Sifu-itus robot '' ] and a willingness to train hard and train smart ,
So needless to say not many make it , but better to have a few with great energy personalities and like mindedness then a school full of lost souls."

just a heads up for anyone interested in training with his group in LA.

As someone that has trained with E and his crew there in LA (all of them are very giving with the info), it's a great opportunity and experience, one wouldn't regret it, as I always leave with some great lessons learned and lots to work on when back home.

James

Violent Designs
06-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Hawkins Cheung is an old man now, I recommend you learn from him while he's still in our world.

rindge
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Miguel, please keep me abreast (either pm me or via this thread) of what you find.

If Gary Lam is too far - Monterey Park - then the other teacher I know of in that area is also probably too far. There is a TWC guy over in the West LA area: http://www.lawingchun.com/. I have never visited their school.

There are a group of guys that teach over in Glendale where I am. They teach out of the YWCA.

There are a couple of guys I met who do their own training down in the Venice area. I think their background and skill is excellent. One of them used to read this board. If he still reads this board he might pm you. I couldn't train with them due to the commute to Venice, but they are really good.

I visited Hawkins school about 1.5 years ago. He was not teaching at that time and his health seemed very poor.

Ernie is a great guy, his fees are kind of pricey, but his WC skills are top notch.

Like I said keep me abreast of what you find or PM for more info.

Rindge

Buddha_Fist
06-12-2011, 04:58 PM
There are a couple of guys I met who do their own training down in the Venice area. I think their background and skill is excellent. One of them used to read this board. If he still reads this board he might pm you. I couldn't train with them due to the commute to Venice, but they are really good.

Done. :)

Hope things are going well Rindge! :)

Emil