PDA

View Full Version : Opening up the hips

Razaunida
06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
This is an important idea in martial arts and it seems to contain many layers. The traditional view is of opening the liver channel and improving the kidney. The liver channel seems to go along the psoas. This seems to be an important muscle to keep loose in order to maintain proper mobility in the lower back.

What exercises do you practice to open this? Of course everyone stretches, but I have noticed masters who can drop effortlessly into low postures with their back strait and can also jump up from these low postuers to deliver power have a very good "internal" understanding of the muscles around the hips and lower back particularly with regard to breathing.

I have found Matt Furey's combat conditioning exercises to be good and I also picked up some Chen Taiji kua opening exercises.

What is your opinion on this? What do you practice to help with this?

bawang
06-10-2011, 06:44 AM
you need to do some squats and deadlifts

David Jamieson
06-10-2011, 06:47 AM
toes in, toes out, repeat.
take a yoga class, move. :)

CLFLPstudent
06-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Eagerly awaiting Sanjuro Ronin's posts to THIS thread!

-David

Cdr.Instigator
06-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Thread title perverted my thoughts...

Eagerly opened thread and found no girl pictures.. :eek:

Scott R. Brown
06-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Ballet!

No internal training necessary!

pazman
06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Lift weights and take dance lessons. Latin dances if you want the ladies, ballet if you enjoy a world of pain and hard work.:)

Scott R. Brown
06-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Lift weights and take dance lessons. Latin dances if you want the ladies, ballet if you enjoy a world of pain and hard work.:)

This is TRUE! Ballet is for REAL Men!:p

hskwarrior
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
honestly,

I'm appreciating this thread right now cause i didn't know what muscle that was. i searched for a bit and found some good stuff. could very well be the cause of lots of my personal issues right now. thanks for starting this thread