PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Tiger/Crane form...

Brule
06-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Anyone live in Austin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=198g7HTNCW8

Release the hounds......

hskwarrior
06-13-2011, 06:36 PM
wtf........

TenTigers
06-13-2011, 07:00 PM
the Kenpo guys do it better...

David Jamieson
06-13-2011, 09:11 PM
some pretty good judy chops there i thought...

banditshaw
06-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Urrghh 1 minute of my life I can't get back.

Eric Olson
06-14-2011, 03:11 AM
I just about spit out my toast through my nose.

EO

David Jamieson
06-14-2011, 05:22 AM
They had:
-step drunk
-judy chop
-ninjy chop
-the craw (several craws actually, lots of craws.)

Craws are super advanced!

TenTigers
06-14-2011, 08:24 AM
"Not craw, CRAW! "

step...

wtf is that "step" shiet?

Brule
06-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Type in the Master's name in youtube. You can probably spend countless hours watching it. You hung gar die hards might enjoy some of the poison hands demos, although i have not watched them...step!!

Not sure why all the...step!! But i guess it's a way used to show a separation in between...step...s. so the students can remember it.

I just found it a bit creepy listening to it more than watching it. Reminded me of some type of cult where the "Master" has their students repeat after them.

TenTigers
06-14-2011, 10:46 AM
so, I'm watching it with my student, and she says, "Nobody would ever buy into this. The public's not that stupid."
And I replied,"Look at his school! Look at all the students. The public IS that stupid!"

So, I'm watching his Lao Ja video-apparently 2nd degrees doing Tai-Chi.
Ok, first the "step.." thing.
Now, Why are they all wearing sunglasses?

I just don't get any of this.

step...

CLFNole
06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
So, I'm watching his Lao Ja video-apparently 2nd degrees doing Tai-Chi.
Ok, first the "step.." thing.
Now, Why are they all wearing sunglasses?

I just don't get any of this.

To keep the glare at a minumum from all the GLOWING the ADVANCED STUDENTS will be doing when practicing. ;)

bawang
06-14-2011, 03:48 PM
wow man

this is fuked up

Mulong
06-15-2011, 04:09 AM
The blind leading the blind...

Violent Designs
06-15-2011, 02:01 PM
anyone notice the huge 300-lb guy sitting in the back just chillin? he's like in all the videos.

Violent Designs
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.mastergohring.com/apprentice.htm

scam artist 101

TenTigers
06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
What are you kidding? This guy is certainly legit. Just look at his qualifications.

24+ years Experience
• President of National Black Sash Association as a 6th degree black sash in Shaolin Hung Gar Tiger-Crane Kung-Fu and Tai Chi
• Second-degree black sash in Internal-External Kung-Fu
• Sanctioned by world renown Grandmaster Cheng Jin Cai
• USA Chen Tai chi Federation Member
• Certified Yoga instructor in 1991
• Demonstrated several times on network TV
• Starred in his own series professionally produced and nationally distributed Tai Chi dvds.

Brule
06-15-2011, 07:08 PM
So, is this person teaching kung fu?

YouKnowWho
06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Anyone live in Austin?
When I had my "Peishaolin Kung Fu Institute" in Austin, Tx back in 1973, there were only 3 other MA schools in Austin.

- TKD (Mike Arthornton)
- Soryu Karate (Joe Alvarado)
- Kempo Karate (Tony Martin)

TenTigers
06-15-2011, 09:34 PM
So, is this person teaching kung fu?
depends how you define Kung-Fu....

lkfmdc
06-15-2011, 09:53 PM
depends how you define Kung-Fu....

he's being true to "da real stuff" so it must be real kung fu... he didn't sell out (or use groupon)

David Jamieson
06-16-2011, 04:58 AM
What are you kidding? This guy is certainly legit. Just look at his qualifications.

24+ years Experience
• President of National Black Sash Association as a 6th degree black sash in Shaolin Hung Gar Tiger-Crane Kung-Fu and Tai Chi
• Second-degree black sash in Internal-External Kung-Fu
• Sanctioned by world renown Grandmaster Cheng Jin Cai
• USA Chen Tai chi Federation Member
• Certified Yoga instructor in 1991
• Demonstrated several times on network TV
• Starred in his own series professionally produced and nationally distributed Tai Chi dvds.

30+ years of experience and accumulated knowledge
-I'm the president of "Dave's basement of incredible martial arts deeds.
-I have 2 instructor certifications
-I have rank in 3 different martial arts black-kf / black-tkd / brown -IRKD
-I am sanctioned by the gods themselves
-I am a member of several and various Kung Fu organizations
-Star in my own dreams, sometimes I wear a cape!
- I've appeared a few times in various martial arts publications, and have had articles on Kung Fu process cited in masters and doctoral thesis (yes it's true, I couldn't believe it either, but there you have it!)

So, is it ok If I run a school that has not very physically articulate beginners who look a little silly trying to do a form together?

Brule
06-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Serious question. Would you consider this guy a kung fu instructor? I didn't think there were many definitions of kung fu. What does kung fu mean to the martial artist and what does it mean to the avg person?

Northwind
06-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Okay. Holy. Cr@p. Step.
Grad..u..frigging...ation????
This is the future of TCMA? Blech!

Step.

David Jamieson
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Okay. Holy. Cr@p. Step.
Grad..u..frigging...ation????
This is the future of TCMA? Blech!

Step.

future? more like the continuation of one dark corner of it. I call it "the America effect".

No offense America, but as much good as you have brought to asian martial arts is balanced against all the monumentally stupid stuff.

so....step!

Violent Designs
06-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Serious question. Would you consider this guy a kung fu instructor? I didn't think there were many definitions of kung fu. What does kung fu mean to the martial artist and what does it mean to the avg person?

No. I would consider him to be a mother****ing scam artist.

David Jamieson
06-16-2011, 08:11 AM
No. I would consider him to be a mother****ing scam artist.

A couple of points -

That is not tiger/crane (fu hok) in any sort of recognizable sense to ANYONE who EVER has practiced Hung Kuen / Hung Gar

ergo it can be determined that this school is NOT legit.

Or at least, not honestly presenting itself.

Brule
06-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I'll say that it is a *******ized version of tiger/crane yet still recognizable as tiger/crane. I didn't review his website but i think he advertises as kung-fu/tai chi place of wellness. So, it bring me again to the question, is it kung fu? Or is it just exercise. I know the definition of kung fu is skill obtained by hard work through time.

bawang
06-16-2011, 11:02 AM
he has a sexy student instructor. her name dixie cokrane. her first and last names have penus

im masterbating to her tai chi page right now

David Jamieson
06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I'll say that it is a *******ized version of tiger/crane yet still recognizable as tiger/crane. I didn't review his website but i think he advertises as kung-fu/tai chi place of wellness. So, it bring me again to the question, is it kung fu? Or is it just exercise. I know the definition of kung fu is skill obtained by hard work through time.

It is completely wrong. the opening is incorrect and it is missing all the initial hand work at the beginning, no 2 sidedness.

this is not recognizable as Tiger/Crane at all.

Here is a tiger/crane clip, please compare. (thanks Frank B)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7U2raBoUs

Bear in mind this is an old man performing this set. There are much more powerful expressions of it available.

I can show you several other iterations and I assure you, that clip of the beginners doing it was not that form. It was... well, I don't know what it is.

lance
06-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Anyone live in Austin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=198g7HTNCW8

Release the hounds......

Brule , the Sifu in the Youtube video clip , do you know who his sifu is ?
There is no such thing as advance Tiger / crane form , this sifu subtracted some moves , from the original tiger and crane set . Other Hung Gar Sifus might be laughing already .

taai gihk yahn
06-17-2011, 04:08 AM
he has a sexy student instructor. her name dixie cokrane. her first and last names have penus

im masterbating to her tai chi page right now

the other female instructor's name is "Grabhorn", lol...

well, I also once knew a TKD instructor named Mike Hunt (just say it out loud...)

Brule
06-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Brule , the Sifu in the Youtube video clip , do you know who his sifu is ?
There is no such thing as advance Tiger / crane form , this sifu subtracted some moves , from the original tiger and crane set . Other Hung Gar Sifus might be laughing already .

Lance,

No, i don't know who he or his sifu is. Just posting the video i saw at another forum. I also wanted to hear what others views were in terms of what kung fu means to them and using this video as a showcase of what the avg person might think kung fu is compared to what an experienced MA feels.

Step!!

TenTigers
06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
yeah..(sigh) that is the Tiger/Crane form of Hung-Ga...although performed incredibly poorly.
and, Yes...we are laughing.

It seems that he learned from a book-knows all the names by heart...step.
But all the movements are performed incorrectly-structure, alignment, power issueing, etc all wrong.
The kay-lin bo is especially entertaining.

"one hand asks a question?"
I have a question.
WTF is THAT?!

taai gihk yahn
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
I have a question.
WTF is THAT?!

perhaps it might be a GROSS misunderstanding of the movement "gihk jeung maan faht" - "clap the palms to question the Buddha" ( I guess you did that instead of raising your hand back then?); I don't know...it's the best bone I can throw the man...

edit:

oops, sorry, forgot:

...step!

A Joyful Proces
06-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Here's my hypothesis: I'm guessing that school's main instructor learnt from Jerry Cook. Looks like it. From stumbling across Jerry Cook's comments on youtube it seems that years back he managed to learn fu hok from Buck Sam Kong (as to why he didn't seem to learn gung gee or other groundings first who knows)... Doesn't seem like a prolonged learning practice. Seems JC then took what he knew of fu hok & watered it down into sections, calling them such as "poison hands", errr... ;seems he probably got names translated from those Lam Sai Wing books & there you go... a lack of understanding of the full hung kyun system watered down, stretched out from one form, filled out with translated "poem names" to make it seem substantial to the layman, & then spread badly without foundation to whoever, result in what we have there today...

CLFNole
06-17-2011, 10:28 AM
You don't need to be a hung kuen sifu to be laughing at this one, all you need to be is breathing. :D

Brule
06-17-2011, 11:38 AM
You don't need to be a hung kuen sifu to be laughing at this one, all you need to be is breathing. :D

Apparently not because he does have a number of students there.

CLFNole
06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Apparently not because he does have a number of students there.

Sad when you think about it. They probably don't know any better. At least I hope they don't know any better.

pazman
06-17-2011, 07:50 PM
"Master" Gohring's website lists his teachers and it's clear that, though he's studied with many people, he hasn't trained in any one thing too extensively. By the marketing style of the website, it seems like a "gongfu for normal people" type of school. I don't have a problem with people "casually" practicing gongfu, but I think you can still have the expectation of quality instruction. My girlfriend practices chen taiji extremely casually but her taiji is way better than the **** on Gohring's youtube channel.

David Jamieson
06-18-2011, 12:07 AM
yeah..(sigh) that is the Tiger/Crane form of Hung-Ga...although performed incredibly poorly.
and, Yes...we are laughing.

It seems that he learned from a book-knows all the names by heart...step.
But all the movements are performed incorrectly-structure, alignment, power issueing, etc all wrong.
The kay-lin bo is especially entertaining.

I have a question.
WTF is THAT?!

really. well, you would know better than I. :)