PDA

View Full Version : leg raises

rubber legs
01-10-2001, 02:07 AM
Many wushu practicioners have been know to be able to hold their foot above their head. Can any body on this forum do this. how can It be accomplished!!!

Tekarius
01-10-2001, 02:15 AM
Hi rubber Leg I personally cant do that but one of my SiHings can. He is a Wushu Champion in Canada and he's only 16 years old.
Well in our school when we stretch, we would put our left hand on the wall and have a partner raise our right foot as high as we can.

UberShaman
01-10-2001, 02:19 AM
Sure, practice, and I stretch all the time. Heres another one . Standing, hold your right foot in your left hand about waist level, then jump up with your left leg,so that your left foot goes up and over the right leg ,landing on your left foot which should now be in front of the right leg. makes a great party trick. Especially when someone else trys after you do it!!

Budokan
01-10-2001, 04:10 AM
UberShaman, I have no doubt that this is a good stretching exercise, but for me (I'm afraid) it would only turn out to be a good way to bust my a$$.

K. Mark Hoover

UberShaman
01-10-2001, 06:54 AM
its not a stretching exercise its just a little dexterity thing my sifu taught me. I busted my a$$
quite a few times learning it.

Mr. Nemo
01-10-2001, 07:53 AM
I've been trying to work up to that too - I've just been lifting my leg as far up as I can and trying to hold it there - I've been gradually getting higher.

You could try doing that but with weights on your ankles or shin. However, I've heard that this can damage your joints (unless you do it a certain way?) If anyone has any info on this I'd be interested in it too.

I assume you mean you want to hold your leg above your head without any support?

Tekarius
01-10-2001, 08:37 AM
Well at first you need lots of support and then you will improve.