PDA

View Full Version : Obstruct/Intercept Mantis style?

LaterthanNever
06-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased a book by Sifu Stuart Alve Olson on PM. In it..he mentions that the first actual style of mantis was known as "Obstruct-Intercept" mantis and from there the second style developed was known as "crushing step" mantis.

Though I know that there is a form known as "crushing step'..I was not aware that there was an actual style of mantis w/ this name.

Anyway..does this resonate w/ anyone?(the Obstruct-Intercept mantis form being the first actual "style" of mantis? That is..after the style was originally called simply "praying mantis").

I've heard from some that 7 star was the first mantis actual named style..and from others that Plum blossom was the first.

The only thing I know with "certainty" is that families such as 6 harmonies, 8 step, tai mantis,etc. came later on.

mooyingmantis
06-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I also own this book. I believe he is referring to the Luanjie and Bengbu forms, though he may use the term "styles".

I believe most mantis practitioners would agree that tanglangquan developed at first along two different paths: the path that would become qixing tanglangquan and the path that would birth the greater meihua tanglangquan styles. As far as which came first, that will continue to be up for debate. Early Chinese illiteracy has left many holes in the verifiable historical record.

iunojupiter
06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
For praying mantis, which named style came first is the "chicken or the egg" debate.

It's generally accepted that Luanjie is the first mantis "form" developed, which is what your author calls Obstruct/Intercept.

(this is my understanding, i still consider myself a novice, especially when it comes to history)

Cheers