PDA

View Full Version : Jump training

Hicho
01-04-2001, 10:28 AM
Hi There

I was woundering are some good exercise to improve your jumping skills such as: vertical leaps, distance leaps, explosive leaps, quick leaps, stretches, the right way/wrong way to jump and so on.

Thank Yous

Kristoffer
01-04-2001, 11:56 AM
"I was woundering are some good exercise to improve your jumping skills"

well, the magic answer to this is: JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP, JUMP

LoongShin13
01-04-2001, 06:28 PM
Here's a good idea for practicing your jumps.

Get a shovel, go into your back yard, and dig a hole just deep enough for you to barely jump out of. Then, jump out of it until you can't jump out anymore. Once jumping out of the hole becomes quite easy, dig it 6" deeper. When you can jump out of a 6' deep hole, you should see some improvement in your jumping skills :)

-J

Ironpig
01-04-2001, 06:38 PM
recently I was compaining about my jumping skills and Shifu looked at me and just smiled.

"you are only jumping with your calves...use those legs to jump!"

make sure that you are actually using the big muscles of the leg, rather than the smaller muscles of the calf.

also I found that squat leaps seem to help.

Squat down and jump "like a frog" till you can't. I am doing this right now. I have been motivated to be a thinner pig this year....

Just a few pennies from a pig...

IronPig

Taijimantis
01-04-2001, 07:49 PM
Plyometrics...

8stepsifu
01-04-2001, 09:14 PM
Criss cross will make ya JUMP JUMP a daddy mac will make ya JUMP JUMP.

If you want to jump high strengthen your trunk and legs. And yes lots of plyometrics. It's also about timing between your muscles. Kind of hard to explain. Everything in kung fu should make you jump higher.

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-05-2001, 03:21 AM
but i have a real bada$$ vertical and long jump. i am only about 5'4'' and can vertical jump about4 feet .. right around my clavical. im not sure if my butt would clear a pole as i jump onto walls to test myself, but my point is that i feel every succesful jump in my stomach. it makes my legs weightless which then send me soaring. maybe im imagining things . . but i am a white boy that can jump so probably not. i know that this doesnt work the strenght you are probably wanting to get from doing this but i have also noticed that half of the jump is phycological. you have to believe you can make it. start with walls that look a little higher than you can jump . . .one that you can make but not land. keep doing it until you sucessfully land it. work up.

jade_lotus
01-05-2001, 03:36 AM
If you're interested in more specifics on plyometrics, check out "The Martial Arts Athlete" by Tom Seabourne. There's a decent section on the subject, as well as a lot of physiologically sound stretching exercises.

It's not anything you couldn't figure out yourself, but at least you get a bigger variety of exercises listed and it's specifically geared toward martial arts.

The best way to win a fight is not to be there in the first place.

GeneChing
09-20-2018, 09:16 AM
This thread popped up when I searched 'frog'.

Chinese schoolboy dies during frog jumps punishment for talking (https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2165016/chinese-schoolboy-dies-during-frog-jumps-punishment-talking)
Education authority investigating teachers after 16-year-old falls unconscious and is found to have bleeding in his mouth, ears and nose
PUBLISHED : Thursday, 20 September, 2018, 3:42pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 20 September, 2018, 10:33pm
Mandy Zuo
mandy.zuo@scmp.com

https://cdn3.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980x551/public/images/methode/2018/09/20/cc5e0216-bc70-11e8-8bc4-fc59ff6846aa_1280x720_160025.jpg?itok=wl8nb4u-

Authorities in central China are investigating several teachers over the death of a 16-year-old boy who died at school on Sunday while being punished for talking during nap time.

The boy, who was a boarder at Xinshao No 2 Middle School, was told by his teacher to do frog jumps up a 20-metre (65-foot) slope, which he did before falling unconscious, the government of Xinshao county in Hunan province told the South China Morning Post.

He was taken to hospital, where he was declared dead and found to have suffered bleeding in his mouth, ears and nose, Thepaper.cn reported on Wednesday.

The police found no offence had been committed, assessing that no physical contact was made by the teacher, but he and three other members of staff are being investigated by local authorities for any misconduct at work, the county government’s spokesman said.

The boys were ordered to frog-jump up this slope. Photo: Thepaper.cn
“The police have not filed the case, but the party committee and education bureau are investigating,” he told the Post.

According to the family of the boy, surnamed Zhang, he was found talking to a classmate during nap time on Sunday afternoon and both were ordered to go to the playground to do the frog jumps as a punishment, Thepaper’s report said.

Chinese school to punish pupils if parents break ‘no parking’ rush-hour rule outside campus

The teacher, surnamed Xie, told the pair to put their arms behind their back while jumping, and both boys jumped up the slope, according to Zhang’s family, who saw surveillance footage, the report said. It said Zhang, described by his family as strong and active, fell over upon reaching the top and lost consciousness.

Xie, the school principal and deputy, and the head of moral and political education were being investigated, the spokesman said.