PDA

View Full Version : breathing and reverse breathing in forms

Razaunida
06-15-2011, 11:51 AM
This regards both forms and in bag work.

When do you reverse breathe (kiai) or regular breathe? If exhaling constantly one gets out of breath. Some say that Taiji charges people up, while external martial arts use up qi. This is clearly garbage as there is no true distinction.

Looking in my forms practice that means that I need to severely slow down the transitions so that I have time to breathe in.

Obviously in combat you are doing both quickly, but I am looking at making it smooth so that I do not get winded. (Yes cardio is important and king) but balancing intake and expression may be important.

I am also looking at this with regular breathing and reverse breathing, on giving more peng buoyancy and the other collapsing.

sanjuro_ronin
06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Reverse breathing is actually quite natural when you are exerting yourself.
Weightlifters do it all the time, people do it instinctively when they are going to push or lift something they know is really heavy.

MightyB
06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
my Sigung said breathe naturally and only sick old people gulp air through their mouths.

Razaunida
06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
true, it is natural, but the in breathe is often hard to find and makes you open to attack. I believe that this must happen during deflecting/transitions.

Razaunida
06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
my Sigung said breathe naturally and only sick old people gulp air through their mouths.

Also a good point. I was taught that the motion will tell your body how to breathe, what it is teaching me is that I am hyperventilating by focusing more on the yang movements than on the yin.

taai gihk yahn
06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
This regards both forms and in bag work.

When do you reverse breathe (kiai) or regular breathe? If exhaling constantly one gets out of breath. Some say that Taiji charges people up, while external martial arts use up qi. This is clearly garbage as there is no true distinction.

Looking in my forms practice that means that I need to severely slow down the transitions so that I have time to breathe in.

Obviously in combat you are doing both quickly, but I am looking at making it smooth so that I do not get winded. (Yes cardio is important and king) but balancing intake and expression may be important.

um, don't know what you are talking about, but classical "reverse" (or Taoist, according to some) breathing has nothing to do with breathing out or in at a given time per se; it has to do with what happens actively at pelvic floor, anterior abdominal wall and thoracic diaphragm during inhalation as opposed to when engages in "natural" (or Buddhist) breathing(there I go again w those ridiculous biomechanics that can['t explain anything about qigong :rolleyes:), and the subsequent impact it has on the sympathetic chain / autonomic nervous system in general; this last aspect is why u can feel "charged up", because you are modulating sympathetic tone by increasing the relative tension of the sympathetic chain;

don't you have some luv affair with your pre- and post-natal bagua charts? don't you understand the relationship they have to this practice specifically? or how the Nine Palaces (the ones in the body, not the number boxes) relates to this all? oops, there I go again, all "hating" on classical Taoist Alchemical practice; really now...

I am also looking at this with regular breathing and reverse breathing, on giving more peng buoyancy and the other collapsing.
ok, well, you have at least redeemed yourself somewhat with this last statement...
so, when you do your "peng" bouyancy (and I like this word, it describes it to a tee), where does that "upward thrust" start? what activates it?