PDA

View Full Version : University of Colorado admits to altering sea level data

BJJ-Blue
06-17-2011, 09:27 AM
"Is climate change raising sea levels, as Al Gore has argued -- or are climate scientists doctoring the data?

The University of Colorado’s Sea Level Research Group decided in May to add 0.3 millimeters -- or about the thickness of a fingernail -- every year to its actual measurements of sea levels, sparking criticism from experts who called it an attempt to exaggerate the effects of global warming.

"Gatekeepers of our sea level data are manufacturing a fictitious sea level rise that is not occurring," said James M. Taylor, a lawyer who focuses on environmental issues for the Heartland Institute.

Steve Nerem, the director of the widely relied-upon research center, told FoxNews.com that his group added the 0.3 millimeters per year to the actual sea level measurements because land masses, still rebounding from the ice age, are rising and increasing the amount of water that oceans can hold.

"We have to account for the fact that the ocean basins are actually getting slightly bigger... water volume is expanding," he said, a phenomenon they call glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA).

Taylor calls it tomfoolery.

"There really is no reason to do this other than to advance a political agenda," he said.

Climate scientist John Christy, a professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, said that the amount of water in the ocean and sea level were two different things.

"To me… sea level rise is what's measured against the actual coast," he told FoxNews.com. "That's what tells us the impact of rising oceans."

Taylor agreed.

"Many global warming alarmists say that vast stretches of coastline are going to be swallowed up by the sea. Well, that means we should be talking about sea level, not about global water volume."

In e-mails with FoxNews.com, Nerem indicated that he considered "sea level rise" to be the same thing as the amount of water in the ocean.

"If we correct our data to remove [the effect of rising land], it actually does cause the rate of sea level (a.k.a. ocean water volume change) rise to be bigger," Nerem wrote. The adjustment is trivial, and not worth public attention, he added.

"For the layperson, this correction is a non-issue and certainly not newsworthy… [The] effect is tiny -- only 1 inch over 100 years, whereas we expect sea level to rise 2-4 feet."

But Taylor said that the correction seemed bigger when compared with actual sea level increases.

"We’ve seen only 7 inches of sea level rise in the past century and it hasn’t sped up this century. Compared to that, this would add nearly 20 percent to the sea level rise. That's not insignificant," he told FoxNews.com.

Nerem said that the research center is considering compromising on the adjustment.

"We are considering putting both data sets on our website -- a GIA-corrected dataset, as well as one without the GIA correction," he said.

Christy said that would be a welcome change.

"I would encourage CU to put the sea level rate [with] no adjustment at the top of the website," he said.

Taylor’s takeaway: Be wary of sea level rise estimates.

"When Al Gore talks about Manhattan flooding this century, and 20 feet of sea level rise, that’s simply not going to happen. If it were going to happen, he wouldn’t have bought his multi-million dollar mansion along the coast in California.""

Sources:
http://sealevel.colorado.edu/content/new-web-site-new-sea-level-release
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/17/research-center-under-fire-for-adjusted-sea-level-data/

David Jamieson
06-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Go for a swim why don't you.

Global warming is real.
Throughout the solar system.
Throwing money at Nature does NOTHING.
We are our own worst enemies.

BJJ-Blue
06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Global warming is real.

But manmade global warming is a hoax.

Throughout the solar system.

So how can these "scientists" blame man when the rest of the solar system is devoid of man?

Drake
06-29-2011, 08:46 AM
But manmade global warming is a hoax.

So how can these "scientists" blame man when the rest of the solar system is devoid of man?

To refuse to believe that dumping trillions of tons of fluorocarbons a year into the atmosphere is not having an adverse effect on our climate... that is either naivete or stupidity. Or a mix of both.

David Jamieson
06-29-2011, 08:53 AM
But manmade global warming is a hoax. No, it's not, we are a definite contributing factor to not only the warming, but the slow destruction of ecosystems we depend upon through our unregulated consumption. We are ruining arable lands, killing huge swaths of forest, factory farming like mo fos, driving cars at a greater rate than ever before and we've doubled our planets population in the last 30 years. YOu don't honestly think that has no effect do you?

really?

You don't live on mars. But it's mean temp has risen by a degree in the last 20 years. the same is true to varying degrees of all planets in our system.

But that is not the point. Our planet is getting warmer as we produce and pump gases galore into our atmosphere.

I guess you could get all hillbilly and angry at people for telling you about it, but that doesn't mean that hundreds of thousands of acres of arable land across your country and mine won't be usable in another 35 years, because it won't.

In another 20 years, you, especially you people in the southern US will be looking at high costs for WATER!

You will also be looking at severely scaling back your electricity and HVAC usage mostly because it won't be available in abundance anymore.

Seriously, it is bad, it is getting worse and people who deny it or confirm it? It doesn't matter, we will all suffer from it whether we believe it or not.

That is an eventuality.

BJJ-Blue
06-29-2011, 09:53 AM
To refuse to believe that dumping trillions of tons of fluorocarbons a year into the atmosphere is not having an adverse effect on our climate... that is either naivete or stupidity. Or a mix of both.

So since we are not dumping trillions of tons of fluorocarbons a year into the atmosphere of the rest of the planets in the solar system, how do you explain the fact (presented by Jamison) that the entire solar system is getting warmer?

You don't live on mars. But it's mean temp has risen by a degree in the last 20 years. the same is true to varying degrees of all planets in our system.

But that is not the point. Our planet is getting warmer as we produce and pump gases galore into our atmosphere.

It's the point YOU made. So how is Mars getting warmer when there are no manmade gasses being pumped into it's atmosphere?

David Jamieson
06-29-2011, 09:58 AM
So since we are not dumping trillions of tons of fluorocarbons a year into the atmosphere of the rest of the planets in the solar system, how do you explain the fact (presented by Jamison) that the entire solar system is getting warmer?

It's the point YOU made. So how is Mars getting warmer when there are no manmade gasses being pumped into it's atmosphere?

Like our planet, it goes through cycles with the sun as well.
We have the added feature however of humanity and life in general.

So while Mars may jump a degree on average, Earth will jump 2 to 4 degrees in the same time. So we are ADDING to the problem.

we are essentially exacerbating the situation.

Not to mention the ridiculous pollution issues we create. We can curb our waste and begin reversing the process of our own destructive behaviours for one thing. I think it's important to aim at the level of individual behaviour as it becomes increasingly obvious that people simply cannot grasp the actual science.

SimonM
06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Don't bother engaging 1Bad65. Just block him. He contributes nothing, not even entertaining controversy. He's just a part of the Fox News echo chamber. Ignore him.

BJJ-Blue
06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
...but that doesn't mean that hundreds of thousands of acres of arable land across your country and mine won't be usable in another 35 years, because it won't.

In another 20 years, you, especially you people in the southern US will be looking at high costs for WATER!

I bet your predictions are no better than other Chicken Littles.

"The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. At this late date nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the world death rate ..." -Paul R Ehrlich, The Pupulation Bomb, 1968

“Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.” -Peter Gunter, professor, North Texas State University, Earth Day 1970

“Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….” -Life Magazine, January 1970

"“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’” -Kenneth Watt, Ecologist, Earth Day 1970

“Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.” -Sen. Gaylord Nelson, Earth Day 1970

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
There is something we need to understand, human nature is such that, without "dire warnings" nothing gets done.
I don't doubt for a minute that showing "worse case scenarios" is the bets way to get it through people because people are just that dumb.
So, while I disagree that "the ends justify the means", I do understand why those that know there are issues, sometimes do and say alarmist things.

SimonM
06-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Actually SR a friend of mine (Peter Watts, he's a local author, have you met him) had a great suggestion. Better than dire warnings - sex. We need to sex up the campaigns to get people to take environmentally sustainable lifestyle choices.

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Actually SR a friend of mine (Peter Watts, he's a local author, have you met him) had a great suggestion. Better than dire warnings - sex. We need to sex up the campaigns to get people to take environmentally sustainable lifestyle choices.

Like the nude PETA ones?

SimonM
06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Hadn't thought of that but, yeah, I suppose.

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2011, 11:20 AM
http://www.filehurricane.com/viewerthumbnails/8102008115329PM_globalwarming.jpg

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0801/global-warming-demotivational-poster-1201817441.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/its-not-the-size-of-the-iceberg-take-into-account-shrinkage-demotivational-poster-12630804671.jpg

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/1008/global-warming-can-you-feel-it-demotivational-poster-1281434157.jpg

David Jamieson
06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I bet your predictions are no better than other Chicken Littles. YOur bleating is no different than other dumb sheep.

"The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. At this late date nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the world death rate ..." -Paul R Ehrlich, The Pupulation Bomb, 1968 Millions of people starve to death every year. Each and every year. So, he's probably pretty close already.

“Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.” -Peter Gunter, professor, North Texas State University, Earth Day 1970

widespread famines have taken place across India, Africa and elsewhere. China suffers, North Korea suffers and many others, esp[ecially in Africa suffer and they suffer badly. You don't notice because you live int he richest country in the world and even if half of arable lands are in a drought, it doesn't matter because you can import and the sheep don't notice!

“Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….” -Life Magazine, January 1970 air pollution contributes to death and disease every year. In the hot months, smog starts killing people. This is actually accurate. You do realize that there is more to the population than healthy 20-45 year olds right? You've never gotten a UV alert or smog alert?

"“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’” -Kenneth Watt, Ecologist, Earth Day 1970 No new finds in 20 years really, rising prices and a huge trend towards electrics and hybrids. Yeah, it does appear the trend was correct, maybe not as quick, but getting there.

“Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.” -Sen. Gaylord Nelson, Earth Day 1970

Somewhat although not entirely accurate considering the greatest amount are insects, then sea life and not to mention we don't even KNOW how many species there are.

Also, I agree with SR's comment that sometimes it has to be painted as worse than it is or people will acttually do nothing.

I mean look at you. Still stuffing your gut with factory farmed cheeseburgers cruising around burning gas in yoru muscle car, living in a home that could probably hold a lot more than you and yours in it and to top it off, there's hundreds of millions of wasters just like you. even me.

sanjuro_ronin
06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0908/global-warming-there-is-no-better-way-to-warm-your-globes-demotivational-poster-1251106039.jpg

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/1012/global-warming-global-warming-demotivational-posters-1292737448.jpg

http://www.naughtyfake.com/pics/demotivational-poster/0810/global-warming-cause-demotivational-poster-1224130110.jpg

SimonM
06-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Sanjuro Ronin Har har.

MasterKiller
06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I bet your predictions are no better than other Chicken Littles.

How about these Chicken Littles?

The problem here is that there will always be some uncertainty about how quickly Saddam can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud.-- Condoleezza Rice

America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud. -- George W. Bush

BJJ-Blue
06-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Jamieson, you are a piece of work. After you've blatantly refused to EVER admit you might just actually not be right on EVERYTHING, I'm done with you. You're no longer entertaining and I can't read anymore of your diatribes trying to explain how the Federal Reserve is really a private corporation and some nutbars who said in 1970 we would be wearing gas masks by the 1980s and the world would be starving are really correct just because in your little world that's reality, I'm putting you on ignore.

Drake
06-30-2011, 01:46 AM

You are dodging the facts. You do not think that (not typing it again) is having an adverse effect on the environment?

Lay off the logical fallacy. That's like saying we should dump poison into our lakes and rivers because algae killed a lake in China.

And at any rate, given how little we really know about our solar system, how would we know if Neptune (for example) is getting hotter or not? And second, you are applying a causation fallacy, and a statistician wouyld be pulling his hair out right now.

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 05:15 AM
You're only putting me on ignore because when I throw truth at you, it makes you uncomfortable and you get that choking sensation.

lol.

Obi wan already told us it depends on your point of view.

so eat it. :p

Syn7
07-02-2011, 05:32 PM
why can't it be both? a natural phenomenon accelerated by man made technology. i mean we know the earth heats up and cools in cycles so it shouldnt be a suprise when keeping long term records you will start seeing trends. but there is a ton of evidence that shows that we are fukcing our planet in more ways than i can count. not just greenhouse gasses. there is a ton of horrible habits we need to change. prepackaged lifestyle will be the end of us, i have no doubt. we either change or die.

BJJ-Blue
07-05-2011, 06:55 AM
You are dodging the facts. You do not think that (not typing it again) is having an adverse effect on the environment?

How so? I even used Jamieson's facts to make my point.

Lay off the logical fallacy. That's like saying we should dump poison into our lakes and rivers because algae killed a lake in China.

Well I am using logic. ;)

And at any rate, given how little we really know about our solar system, how would we know if Neptune (for example) is getting hotter or not? And second, you are applying a causation fallacy, and a statistician wouyld be pulling his hair out right now.

I didn't say they were, Jamieson did. Ask him. I just went with his 'facts'.