PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar in MMA

Golden Arms
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Saw this on another forum, its from one of the early UFC's.

http://youtu.be/PO_b5lP6Blo

Razaunida
06-17-2011, 10:00 AM
it might be a trick...that link isn't really youtube.

hskwarrior
06-17-2011, 10:11 AM
LMAO....it happend so quick i didn't see the Fu Jow till i watched it a second time. hahha "I can't see! I can't See!!!"

Golden Arms
06-17-2011, 10:23 AM
it might be a trick...that link isn't really youtube.

It is a Youtube link Razaunida,

Go search for Philipino Arts & Hung Gar in MMA on Youtube if you want to find it without using the link.

faxiapreta
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Saw this on another forum, its from one of the early UFC's.

http://youtu.be/PO_b5lP6Blo

Demo before the match = hung gar movements.

Actual fighting in the match = Muay Thai standing to BJJ on the ground.

cerebus
06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
The CRAW!! :D

Golden Arms
06-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Hung has a very similar feel to Muay Thai when in use (its what I generally compare it to when I explain what it is, only we use the forearms like the Thai's use the legs as well).

sanjuro_ronin
06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Hung has a very similar feel to Muay Thai when in use (its what I generally compare it to when I explain what it is, only we use the forearms like the Thai's use the legs as well).

Outside of specialty hand forms, yes, HK looks quite typically like MT.
The "muay Thai" guard that is taught by some ( where you cover up to protect and extend on of the hand to clinch), is very similar to the one used in HK ( except we don't extend it so much).

TenTigers
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
no doubt. It's our own Subitai-Onasis Parungo.

JamesC
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM

I can't watch it at work, but I figured it was a video of O.

One of Wing Lam's guys, just FYI.

David Jamieson
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Indeed that is "O".

And yes, he is a kickass Kung Fu man. :)

faxiapreta
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Outside of specialty hand forms, yes, HK looks quite typically like MT.
The "muay Thai" guard that is taught by some ( where you cover up to protect and extend on of the hand to clinch), is very similar to the one used in HK ( except we don't extend it so much).

Where is the part that is like Muay Thai?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1079665/hung_gar/

http://vimeo.com/12480347

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCgXZJnhKs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shh54_AkWZ8

Ben Gash
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM

He used the exact same punching combo in the demo and the fight :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
06-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Where is the part that is like Muay Thai?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1079665/hung_gar/

http://vimeo.com/12480347

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCgXZJnhKs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shh54_AkWZ8

Well, in HK you have:
jap, cross, hook, uppercut, elbows and knees.
:p

oh and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuI3sRvt5eA&feature=feedrec_grec_index

faxiapreta
06-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Well, in HK you have:
jap, cross, hook, uppercut, elbows and knees.
:p

Methinks the people who think hung gar is like Muay Thai need to check this out:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60878

faxiapreta
06-17-2011, 01:16 PM
oh and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuI3sRvt5eA&feature=feedrec_grec_index

So which is hung gar, this one that you posted or the one's I posted with all the "masters"?

Golden Arms
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
I love Muay Thai, but if you want to talk about badass, try some Burmese Bando. Same thing but with headbutts and in some cases, no rule on the number of knockdowns allowed per round.

If you want something badder than that, get a gun or come train Hung Gar :D.

bawang
06-17-2011, 02:02 PM
.... you do know burmese always lose to thais

muay thai thai rules favor thais

Golden Arms
06-17-2011, 02:16 PM
.... you do know burmese always lose to thais

muay thai thai rules favor thais

In Thailand, yes. In Burma its usually the opposite from what I recall. Likely both grab disadvantaged fighters to fight their own. Nonetheless, having seen Burmese arts in action, those guys are tough as nails as are the Muay Thai guys at Lumpini and Ratchadomneon.

bawang
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
letwei looks more energetic and fast paced but i really enjoy watching both kinds.

sanjuro_ronin
06-20-2011, 07:46 AM
So which is hung gar, this one that you posted or the one's I posted with all the "masters"?

All the masters ??

David Jamieson
06-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Methinks the people who think hung gar is like Muay Thai need to check this out:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60878

Methinks the people who don't know anything about Chinese martial arts yet volunteer scads of bs about them should go find a quiet corner, take a rope with them and hang themselves. :p

goju
06-20-2011, 09:40 AM
.youtube.com/watch?v=EuI3sRvt5eA&feature=feedrec_grec_index[/url]

this was noice.Always had an interest in hung gar

Ray Pina
06-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Have to give credit where credit is do... it was definitely the tiger claw to the face (illegal strike) that disoriented the other guy... a finger probably got into his eye and teared soft tissue.

Judging by the fighter's build and how he took the back, I would guess he also trains wrestling.

To me, this demonstrates more the effectiveness of eye strikes, especially when they're not expected because they're illegal in that venue, than of Hung Gar... that was one of the most fit and fighter built Hung Gar guys I've seen.

Street fight scenario I'd have to say well done.

If he got away with it in the cage, racked up a win... good for him. But, he'll always know it was a win by cheating, and that will always leave doubt.

Sport makes things tougher if you're honest and fair.

GeneChing
06-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm moving this to our MMA forum (I was going to move it to our southern forum but then thought better of it). Maybe he'll chime in on this thread. He's not as active here nowadays as he used to be.

Subitai
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Gene Si Hing!
Only for you man...do I come out to play. :)

I had thought that my description in the "Show More" section of the actual YT vid. would pretty much sum up my feelings.

As to Ray,
I have to say that you saying that I'd feel like a cheater was never a concern for me. It was an open hand palm strike to the side of the face at best...Meant only to dissorient. That is not illegal not even in modern MMA. So Please don't assume anything.
Trying to use animals or some strange sh!T like that was never on my mind. Only the Kung fu basic of just setting the guy up and getting to the target was all that was important at the time.

Rather, it was more the "Cross-Back Fist" (pinoy combo) & after a simple left reverse punch (with rear foot flat on ground of TCMA) to the EAR that helped the most. Once a guy is hurt he's obviously easier to take down.

Once down it was just ground and pound...nothing fancy.

I make NO dilusions of trying to say that a TMA like Hung Gar has ground fighting. IMO it doesn't, but it to me it has good stand up if you know how. At least I feel I do.

It was 16 yrs ago, i've never shown it to anyone untill recently. Like most people I guess I didn't like what I saw in my earlier days. I thought I could do better. But just like the sport of MMA has matured, I believe so have I. My understanding of how to fight with Hung has improved allot. I don't consider myself a forms junkie. I like to apply, it's what I believe i'm good at.

But as I said in another forum: "The funny thing is, the better a person gets...the LESS they have to prove"

wiz cool c
06-20-2011, 10:51 PM
that back fist was identical to the one i just learned in the hung chuan from my teacher. you know that referee is bruce leeroy from the last dragon?

Ray Pina
06-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I certainly didn't want to imply that you are a form junkie.... even if I didn't see the footage of you in the cage, just by seeing your build I know you're a fighter.

The footage I saw was misleading. I saw one engagement, a guy go down, you follow him down well.... and then everyone on their feet. I see everyone walking around (obviously no choke out or KO) but don't see the ref raise anyone's hand.... in the slow motion, from what I saw, I saw fingers curled in, claw like... from all that data I assumed the other fighter claimed foul/finger jab.

So, how did it end? Did I miss something on the video? Was that a KO? Or did the ref stop it?

Ray Pina
06-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Went to check the link again, to refresh my memory, but the video has been replaced.

David Jamieson
06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
I certainly didn't want to imply that you are a form junkie.... even if I didn't see the footage of you in the cage, just by seeing your build I know you're a fighter.

The footage I saw was misleading. I saw one engagement, a guy go down, you follow him down well.... and then everyone on their feet. I see everyone walking around (obviously no choke out or KO) but don't see the ref raise anyone's hand.... in the slow motion, from what I saw, I saw fingers curled in, claw like... from all that data I assumed the other fighter claimed foul/finger jab.

So, how did it end? Did I miss something on the video? Was that a KO? Or did the ref stop it?

I believe the fight was done after the GnP.
Subitai..who just posted is the individual we are talking about here.

I understand he now harpoons snow whales with giant icicles.
Hard man.

lol :p

lance
06-24-2011, 12:31 AM

faxiapreta , now you know it all depends on how good the fighter is , the hung gar man over the other fighter .

hasayfu
06-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice clip Si-Hing. Surprisingly, this is the first time I've seen this entire clip.

I wanted to comment on the Muay Thai comparison. I don't know MT so I can't say how close or not it is but what O does is 100% TCMA up until he goes to the ground. Let's break it down.

Opponent charges, he counters with a front thrust kick. Done in TCMA style with body weight centered (not leaning back). This prevents the forward force from knocking O over.

O subtly shifts to the outside gate. He does not make a big movement that would allow his opponent to follow. Classic Hung Gar strategy.

O attacks the base and IMMEDIATELY follows up with a strike to the head. The kick is not meant to kill the leg. Notice he doesn't have a complete follow through on the kick. It is meant to disrupt the root (which it did). Again, classic Hung Gar strategy.

O then does gwa choi, ping choi. He calls it the pinoy combo but it is also the exact combo repeated many times in the first HaSayFu set. I don't think I have seen MT throw this the way it is thrown but as noted, I can't speak for MT. It's this combo that dazes the opponent. The claw did not strike the eyes. It's arguable that it didn't connect with much force. So for the cheating comments, take a closer look. Nothing there was illegal or even unsportsmanlike.

At that point, O goes to MMA mode and uses his wrestling training to take him down, mount and GnP to tap out. If O had thrown him to the ground without going down, that would would have been TCMA style but not suited for the competition.

I also want to comment on something that always comes up on these "hung gar" fighting clips. "Where is the bridging Hung Gar is so famous for?" or "See, you can't bridge in a real fight" This fight was short but the bridging concept was there. That's the real reason you disrupt the base and attack high. You expect the opponent to block but now with a compromised base. That would be the bridge. It's also why you don't fake the bridging attack. If he doesn't block and build the bridge, you hit him and make him pay for it.

Whew, I haven't posted in a while and I come out with a long one. I just got excited to see a clip of brother O. I will note, while I'm not a forms junkie, I don't think Ray would look at me and say I'm a fighter. I have sparred many times outside of TCMA (with O even) but never in competition. My comments are my own and may differ from what O thinks.

Look forward to any discussion this causes. Not sure how relevant it is to MMA. I think this belongs in the southern forum.

GeneChing
06-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Admittedly, it could go either way, but the MMA forum needs a little more traditional luv than the Southern forum, which is drenched with it, so I'm leaving this here for now.

Hey Gene Si Hing!
Only for you man...do I come out to play. :)
Good to know, bro, good to know. :cool:

hasayfu
06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I defer to your greater wisdom, si-hing. Let's give the MMA forum a little traditional love.

Looks more like a one night stand though.

TenTigers
06-29-2011, 11:28 AM
I prefer to look at it as, "Friends with Benefits."
(dieu pung-yao):D

TenTigers
06-29-2011, 11:31 AM
I also want to comment on something that always comes up on these "hung gar" fighting clips. "Where is the bridging Hung Gar is so famous for?" or "See, you can't bridge in a real fight" This fight was short but the bridging concept was there. That's the real reason you disrupt the base and attack high. You expect the opponent to block but now with a compromised base. That would be the bridge. It's also why you don't fake the bridging attack. If he doesn't block and build the bridge, you hit him and make him pay for it.

That's the thing. Too many people thing that the bridge is extending the forearms.
There are many ways to bridge, and many types of bridges. Anytime you connect with your opponent, for any period of time, (a milisecond is a period of time) you bridge.

Lucas
06-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Looks more like a one night stand though.

I knew it!!!!!