PDA

View Full Version : Sanda vs Muay Thai MMA match

donjitsu2
06-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Wim Demeere just posted this on Facebook:

Sanda vs Muay Thai MMA match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N96erkjuKiI&feature=player_embedded)

Pretty cool.

I'll definitely say the striking and takedowns on display in this video seem much better than a lot of MMA fighters here in the US.

The grappling/ground 'n pound however, meh....

I guess it's because more grapplers/wrestlers tend to move towards MMA in the US, while the Muay Thai/Knockdown Karate/San Shou guys have more diverse outlets for their talents.

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

mjw
06-19-2011, 08:49 AM
THe sanda dude dominated for the most part in that video.....nice:D

Frost
06-19-2011, 10:17 AM
some nice striking from the sanda guy very impressive throws as well.....

having said that wearing a pair of thai shorts does not make one a thai boxer, i have seen better striking at the local rugby match.... that guy might have been a bjj guy (his takedowns sucked so not a wrestler) but he was not a thai boxer, he had weak kicks, bad punches and his chin so high it was embarrassing

Water-quan
06-19-2011, 10:31 AM

having said that wearing a pair of thai shorts does not make one a thai boxer, i have seen better striking at the local rugby match.... that guy might have been a bjj guy (his takedowns sucked so not a wrestler) but he was not a thai boxer, he had weak kicks, bad punches and his chin so high it was embarrassing

Oh my, you're not issuing the immortal words 'Yes, but he wasn't a real [kung fu, wing chun] muay thai guy', are you?

Look, if they get dominated, then no matter what style they do, they're not the [real] thing - that's the common rule of internet martial arts double think.

Hebrew Hammer
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with leading with your chin! He wasn't great but he did all right...everyone just loves to criticize. He was a gamer, he got some shots in the Sanda kid was clearly better technically...I would have loved to train in Sanda.

goju
06-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Could have been a beginner thai boxer

Frost
06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Oh my, you're not issuing the immortal words 'Yes, but he wasn't a real [kung fu, wing chun] muay thai guy', are you?

Look, if they get dominated, then no matter what style they do, they're not the [real] thing - that's the common rule of internet martial arts double think.

i said he got dominated, but tell me one thing he did that made him look like a trained striker in any style? he comes out with his hands down chin up and rus in reaching for the clinch .......none of which a thai guy or any one with good striking would do...his first punch is thrown like a push no power and his chin was high as anything.....all this was before he got overwhelmed

I have no problem with sanda beating thai boxing.cung le has done it as have david rosses guys but he was either very new or not a very good striker, that dosnt change the fact the other guy beat him but its hardly a sanda v thai match

Frost
06-20-2011, 12:11 AM
There's nothing wrong with leading with your chin! He wasn't great but he did all right...everyone just loves to criticize. He was a gamer, he got some shots in the Sanda kid was clearly better technically...I would have loved to train in Sanda.

im not critizing him, im saying he wasnt a striker maybe a BJJ guy, his hands were down from the start and his chin up from the start, way before he got overwhelmed those are things you see with people not trained in striking thats all

If someone can post the guys thai camp and record ill admit im wrong but from where i was it looked like sanda v bjj

Frost
06-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Could have been a beginner thai boxer

you have trained stiking, how long was it before you started keeping your hands up ad cin tucked?

pazman
06-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Where are you guys getting the Muay Thai from???? Clearly says in the title, "Sanda vs. BJJ."

YouKnowWho
06-20-2011, 01:42 AM
TFKC-2_散打vs巴西柔術.DAT

散打 = Sanda

巴西柔術 = BJJ

From the throw "蹩(Bie) - leg break" that red guy did at 3.00, it's easy to tell that he is a Chinese wrestler (or a Judo guy) and not a western wrestler.

donjitsu2
06-20-2011, 06:18 AM
you have trained stiking, how long was it before you started keeping your hands up ad cin tucked?

If it were one of his first fights he may have been nervous and simply forgot.

During my first fight I forgot everything...even to breathe.

I think it is pretty likely he's just a noob.

Plus there's no way he's a BJJ guy. Guys with as little as six months of consistent training look WAAAYYY better than that on the mat - even in their first competitions.

Novice (0-6 months training) N.A.G.A. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOghSEVsXbU)

donjitsu2
06-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Where are you guys getting the Muay Thai from???? Clearly says in the title, "Sanda vs. BJJ."

people who label youtube videos are stooopid.

Frost
06-20-2011, 06:42 AM
If it were one of his first fights he may have been nervous and simply forgot.

During my first fight I forgot everything...even to breathe.

I think it is pretty likely he's just a noob.

Plus there's no way he's a BJJ guy. Guys with as little as six months of consistent training look WAAAYYY better than that on the mat - even in their first competitions.

Novice (0-6 months training) N.A.G.A. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOghSEVsXbU)

BJJ changes when punches are allowed lol

He didnt even look like he knew how to strike though, i know your forget stuff, but no stance, bad hands rubbish strikes etc....it was a mis match to say the least

pazman
06-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Title says BJJ. The announcer says BJJ. Anything the white guy does is on the ground. Not Muay Thai.

Anyways, the youtube user has a whole bunch of similar videos. including a few with a clueless taiji guy. Worth a laugh.

Water-quan
06-20-2011, 07:46 AM
i said he got dominated, but tell me one thing he did that made him look like a trained striker in any style? he comes out with his hands down chin up and rus in reaching for the clinch .......none of which a thai guy or any one with good striking would do...his first punch is thrown like a push no power and his chin was high as anything.....all this was before he got overwhelmed

I have no problem with sanda beating thai boxing.cung le has done it as have david rosses guys but he was either very new or not a very good striker, that dosnt change the fact the other guy beat him but its hardly a sanda v thai match

Yes- but remember that 'kung fu master' v one of the Gracies? Not once did the kung fu guy iron palm that Gracie.

Actually, my point is more general- and more the other way round - that, obviously, low level guys from various arts get beat all the time - but there's this game everyone plays where, depending on which art you think you are a part of, you either big up or poo poo the person who got beat.