PDA

View Full Version : Double Handed Dao-Teddy Lai

Xian
06-18-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdKLxNbd6c

In my view a rarely seen weapon in public demonstrations. The Demonstrator is Teddy Lai Sifu.

Kind regards,
Xian

YosefC
06-18-2011, 11:34 AM
..But many of the over hand cuts in your video begin over the shoulder and below the ear. In my art this promotes bad cutting angle, and only uses the forearms, whereas a cut beginning from above the center of the head to the ear adds the power of the shoulders to the cut.

Also, using a two handed weapon without proper body alignment can do serious damage to your elbow joints, which is why our downward angle cuts end at the knee. This allows for better control of the of the end of a powerful cut.

SimonM
07-07-2011, 04:40 AM
This is one of the better demo videos I've seen for a blade form. I want to preface my statements that way because I do have some small critiques.

I'll start with the good - the form concentrates on the basics. Never does it descend into sword dance disconnected from the purpose of a bladed weapon. The form seems solidly rooted in practical techniques.

I'm comfortable with the angle of approach on most of the downward cuts though I would concur with YosefC that ending a cut abruptly at waist level isn't the greatest form. Then again, my da-dao practice is coloured with hints of Gumdo so that could be influencing me there.

The demonstrator does pause for considerable periods of time between each move. That isn't a great habit to get into although I'd be willing to concede he might be doing it to make the techniques on the video more distinct for the viewing audience.

Other than that I'll reiterate my usual line about the importance of practising techniques with a partner and wooden swords in order to develop combat timing and the considerable guile needed to rock a bladed weapon.

Still, overall, good find. :D

bawang
07-07-2011, 05:28 AM
teddy lai knows over 9000 forms

he is human dvd player

Xian
07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
teddy lai knows over 9000 forms

he is human dvd player

:-D :-D

Indeed he knows a lot. I think his Tang Lang Master Tse Sifu knows even more. Some seem to be really rare ones. Like this one.

Kind regards,
Xian