PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Workout Like?

A Simple Artist
01-08-2001, 05:39 PM
Just wandering what everyone's workout is like out there? How long do you practice for? How many days a week? And what type of exercises do you do for conditioning, strength, speed, and stamina. For those who incorporate push-ups and setups and so on into their workout, how many reps do you do?

DataMan
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Taijimantis
01-09-2001, 12:42 AM
If you mean strength training I do a five day split

Day 1: Chest, Triceps, upper abs and cardio.
Day 2: Legs, Lower abs, lower back and cardio
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Shoulders, biceps, upper abs and cardio.
day 5: Back, neck, lower abs, and cardio.

As far as MA goes I pick five techniques and do each one hundred times each day.
I will generally pick one weapon and work on two or three techniques a hundred times each.
Every other day I alternate between my Kungfu and Soo Bahk Do forms and do as many as I feel like as many times as I feel like.

When my scedule allows I go see Sihing Initiate at his school Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7 to 815 am, and when I can I go to Kungfu class Thursday night for a couple hours and or Saturday Morning for a couple hours. On Mondays and Wednesdays I go to my Soo Bahk Do class for an hour.

This is subject to change with exam schedules and childrens health and wife's pregnency.

Children are a whole 'nother workout...

Namaste ;)

Taijimantis
01-09-2001, 12:45 AM
To mention the fact that my cardio can consist of speed and or heavy bagwork.

8stepsifu
01-09-2001, 02:16 AM
half hour of stretch/warm ups while reading my notes. 600 frog jumps, 600 of 4 types of crunches and back arches. I'm working up to my old number of push ups which is 10 different kinds of push ups in sets of 50. Most of the push ups are "rocking push ups" that the navy seals do. There the ones they were doing on the beach in GI Jane. Thats physical fitness, then I go on to do throwing long forms, kicking combinations,sets or review techniques. A good solid workout usually takes at least 3 hours. It depends on the day and what I feel like working on. Otherwise, I get maintinence excercise just by teaching.

Sometimes my workout consists of chi kung, silk realing and Iron Palm training.

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

Mr. Nemo
01-09-2001, 02:36 AM
600 frog jumps? Good jesus.

I hear alot about Shaolin full-body conditioning, or even kung fu conditioning techniques that aren't necessarily shaolin. Are there any books that describe kung-fu style workouts? I don't mean iron palm or things like that (necessarily) but rather things to help improve strength, balance, or coordination. My problem is that I live in a small apartment with 4 other people and no room, and don't have easy access to things like weights or punching bags.

In fact, 8stepsifu, you once mentioned something like this that you mantis guys, or at least some of you, do, but I can't remember the name. It started with an "L", I think?

As for my workout, I work my joints and do Chi Kung and meditate in the morning, and then do squats (in sets of 40 - I can't even imagine doing 600 frog jumps), situps (in sets of 100) and pushups (in sets of 60). How many sets I do depends on the day. I also do dynamic stretches. I don't do these in any particular order, though I do wait until I've worked up a bit of a sweat to do dynamic stretches. I do static active and then static passive stretches at the end.

I do whatever I feel like and have time for in the day, and at night I do a hodgepodge of tai chi - walking, specific techniques, forms, and meditation. Sometimes I hold shot puts(only 6 lbs.) while doing forms. When you add everything up, I only exercise maybe an hour and a half to two hours a day, but I do it every day, and my lack of a car makes me walk a lot

[This message was edited by Mr. Nemo on 01-09-01 at 06:46 PM.]

Taijimantis
01-09-2001, 05:53 AM
Hey man, you almost sound guilty... dont.
Any time spent helping to shape this miraculous bit of engineering we call the human body is well spent!

All your walking is helping balance the huge amunt of gas my nearly antique Dodge Ramcharger uses up on all my trips to the gym :)

Something I have found for enclosed spaces and quiet exercise is leg lifts... add some ankle weights that will make a big difference way out there!

By the way... what the hell is a frog jump exactly... call me stupid, but I have two pictures in my mind. One is like kids playing leapfrog.

Good, better, Me
01-09-2001, 04:24 PM
Hey,

I usually practise 1-2 hours a day. I practise 30mins. with weapons. And the rest is basically unarmed practise. I'm very young so I can't practise for long. I usually practise different types of kicks, from single sidekicks to jumping spin-kick (they don't have the in taijutsu, but I practise them). I don't know many punching combos, so I just do single punches about a couple hundred times.
Everynight I do 50 pushups, 50 sit-ups, 40 back-muscle-moves, 10 mins. horse stance and I practise the crane stance (Hira ichimongi-nokamae)That's about it. Tell me what you think about my training? Do I train too little?

If there is fighting. There is me.

jediman
01-09-2001, 05:33 PM
I usually do three days a week with resistance training coupled with cardio. I work chest and back, arms, and shoulders. I also do a fair amount of cardio work on either a bike or tread mill after weights.

Kung Fu, I do two to three times per week, about 1-2 hours at a clip. Stretching for about 30 mins before class. Bai Fut Sow for 10 mins, basic exercises and warm-up movements. Straight punches, side punches, horse stances, eight punches, two man drills, five star drill, weapons and sparring at least once a week. Obviously this is changing depending on what Sifu decides, but we usually cover these movements on any given day

qeySuS
01-09-2001, 07:13 PM
i have basicly not moved an inch for a few months (kinda lost interest/finance/time to practice) but now i got money, good job, and well a gym close to me so im starting again. And i asked here previously about how to work out and found the one i liked the most was this one <A HREF="http://www.webfects.com/hea/routine.htm#" TARGET="_blank">http://www.webfects.com/hea/routine.htm#</A> to be the one most fitting for me, since i dont really like crowded weight lifting rooms, plus then i can do the forms i know in kung fu since im practicing TKD at the moment (hopefully Kung Fu during the summer).

Robinf
01-09-2001, 07:33 PM
I practice both my arts 7 days a week--6 in the school, Sunday on my own.

My workout varies from forms work, to technique work, to weapons, to sparring. I also teach about 1 - 2 hours a day, 6 days a week (that's a form of practice).

Outside of doing martial arts, I run windsprints for 20 minutes every other day, and resistance train (with dumbells) in between windsprint days.

jade_lotus
01-09-2001, 09:35 PM
I'm not as hard core as some of you all. On the wussy end of the spectrum: :)

My kung fu workouts last 1 hour, 3 days a week, with 1/2 hour of stretching prior and 5-10 minutes after. Most classes incorporate a push-up set (5 to 10 reps each: 3-layer palm, fist, and fingertip pushups, 10 reps each - 1 layer wrist/mirror hand, slants, and one-arm.) If they're not in class, I do them at home. Rather than doing a lot of reps of situps and crunches, I do several yoga/pilates type ab exercises, each held for 30s-1min, about 5-10 reps each.

Probably adding a taijiquan class once a week within the next couple months.

Every other Saturday or Sunday is usually a 3 hour workout with some friends from different styles on sparring, "self-defense" techniques. Plus my tang soo do forms and my kung fu hand and stance sets.

Used to do a 2 day a week weight training routine (upper/lower body split - legs + biceps + triceps; chest + shoulders + back. Plus abs everyday) But my work schedule changed and my husband started missing me, so until I get my weights set up in the garage...

Do squats/horse stance training while brushing my teeth and putting on my makeup, upper body stretches on break at work, and breathing exercises while I'm stuck in traffic.

Too much other stuff in my life to work out every day, but I still get to where I want to be...eventually!

The best way to win a fight is not to be there in the first place.

lungyuil
01-09-2001, 10:19 PM
Our training sessions usually go for 3hrs. We do the basic stretching first off. then we practice conditioning using the roller bar, claw bag, bamboo ring,iron palm, forearm strikes on the bag filled with pebbles etc.
We also train our horse stance for usually 20-30mins, depending on how my sifu feels. we practice stance work called 1-10's. crunches & pish-ups 1-10's.

our system has alot of cardio work involved in it just by working our stances. as mentioned above we also practice alot of conditioning especially our forearms. Yau Kung Mun has alot of hammer strikes and the conditioning of the forearms is essential.
So all in all we practice as much conditioning and stance work as possible. :)

MoQ
01-09-2001, 10:40 PM
or are you on the Infinite Deep Knee-Bend Plan?

Don't worry Jade you sound sane. It all takes TIME and overdoing it speeds up aging/death and thats about it.

Eight Diagram Boxer
01-09-2001, 11:37 PM
Mondays I practice Bagua and Hsing I from 7:30 to 9:30. Tuesday I practice Bagua from 6-7 with my class (like Monday). Wednesday and Friday and Saturday I practice san ti for 45 minutes followed by 45 minutes of circle walking and palm changes. Sometimes I substitute the Five Elements fists of Hsing Yi for the Bagua. Thursday nights is hsing yi for 1 hour. I'm just starting out, so I'm still trying to perfect a training schedule (plus it's cold outside :) ).

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

Arioch7
01-10-2001, 03:45 AM
Taijimantis, I will describe a frog jump for you.

To start, squat doen as far as you can go while keeping your back straight. Your heels will probably leave the floor.

Now, jump forward(Or straight up, depending on where you are and what you are trying to do.) as HIGH as you can... landing BACK in the squat position. You should use the momentum of the first jump to bounce out of the squat, performing another jump. In other words, you dont stop at any time while you are doing frog jumps, it is a continuous movement.

Come to think of it, I suppose you could say that Frog Jumps are a plyometric exercise.

Taijimantis
01-10-2001, 05:28 AM
Thats what I thought.
Those who have decent knees do this in a circle during class warm ups.
Personally, Sifu put my knee bac to where it was ten years ago, before the road rash and the wrecked motorcycle...
Ill stick to lower impact exercises thanx :)

Andrew
01-10-2001, 08:20 PM
Well when I first started trainng, Hung gar. I'd train six nights a week. I was quite lucky, I could run into the school, which took about 45 minutes. I'd do some of my own training i.e cardio work /sparring/form work before the lesson, then have lesson. This worked out between 2 hours and 4 hours. On sundays training would start at 11:30 and may have finished any where between 1:30 and 4:00.

When I was out of work I used to train between 2 to 4 hours a day i.e 2 hours in the morning 2 in the evening. This would be a whole collection of things, strength training, running, forms, ,stance training, drilling techniques.

When I started work this basically fell to at least an hour a day on stance/forms/strength training on a non-lesson day and 4 hours on a lesson day ( 2 days a week).

What I've learnt is that its not the hours that are important, its your mind set which is most important. The quality of your training is what's most important. If you only do 45 minutes,in which you truly concentrate, in which your mind only works on the techniques involved this is more benefical that the number of hours etc. Also the quality of your exercises, well executed techniques are far more important. You do not want to drill bad techniques or bad form, because you wish to fill time.

These are just my findings.

Paul DiMarino
01-10-2001, 09:06 PM
I wasn't going to post this, but I'm bored at work right now. Here it goes. This is my yearly training regimen.

Weights/Strength Training:

Week 1-2

sumo deadlift 2x5
side press 2x5
pull-ups 2x5
-do all exercises everyday M-F

Week 3-4

deadlift 2x5
bench 2x5
chin-ups 2x5

Week 5-6

clean 5x2
push press2x5
pull-ups 5x2

Week 7-8

squat 2x5
incline bench 2x5
chin-ups 5x2

Week 9-12

M/Th Bench 2x50
M/Th Squat 2x50
M/Th Seated Rows 2x50

Week 13

REST

Week 14-15

deads 2x5
side press 2x5
pull-ups 5x2

Week 15-17

sumo dl 2x5
bench 2x5
chins 5x2

Week 18-19

clean 5x2
push press2x5
pulls 2x5

Week 20-21

squat 2x5
incline 2x5
chin 2x5

Week 22-25

M/Th Incline Bench 2x50
M/Th Squat 2x50
M/Th Seated Rows 2x50

26 July 2-6

REST

Week 27-29

Scrapper's Bodyweight Workout/Combat Conditioning
<A HREF="http://www.webfects.com/hea/routine.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.webfects.com/hea/routine.htm</A>

Week 30-32

M/Th Bench 4x6-8
M/Th Push Press 4x6-8
Tu/F Deadlift 4x6-8
Tu/F Pull-ups 4x6-8

Week 33-35

M/Th Bench 6x2-3 1x8
M/Th Push Press 6x2-3 1x8
Tu/F Deadlift 6x2-3 1x8
Tu/F Pull-ups 6x2-3 1x8

Week 36-38

M/Th Incline Bench 4x6-8
M/Th D/B Press 4x6-8
Tu/F Squat 4x6-8
Tu/F Chin-ups 4x6-8

Week 39-41

M/Th Incline Bench 6x2-3 1x8
M/Th D/B Press 6x2-3 1x8
Tu/F Squat 6x2-3 1x8
Tu/F Chin-ups 6x2-3 1x8

Week 42

REST

43-50

Combat Conditioning/Scrapper Routines

REST

START PROGRAM OVER
------------------------------

Cardio/Endurance

I basically do straight up running on an Elliptical machine (easy on knees) for cardio. For muscular endurance, the sets of 50 and combat conditioning help, but I also do this routine twice per week. <A HREF="http://www.maxercise.com/Press/15_Grueling_Minutes.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.maxercise.com/Press/15_Grueling_Minutes.htm</A>

--------------------------------

You may have noticed that I didn't mention any ab training. When lifting weights I do 1 month of Janda Sit-ups on MWF for 3 sets of 5 reps, and alternate with 1 month of either Ab wheel exrecise/decline sit-ups or dragonflags/one-arm deadlifts on MWF for 3 sets of 5 reps. When doing the bodyweight exrecises, I do high rep routines consisting of good mornings, sit&tucks, crunches, etc.

That's it. I think. :)

eccesignum
01-10-2001, 09:12 PM
Taijimantis...

Think GREAT BIG circle-jumps

es

3BladesFighter
01-11-2001, 05:11 AM
Monday-
Push-ups- 100
Squats- 15 (1 minute on each squat)
Knuckle push-ups- 100 (50 vertical, 50 horizontal)
Calf Raises- 150
Weights- 100 repitition for freeweights
50 times on bench press
*squats-- 20

Tuesday-
Push-ups- 250
Sit-ups- 500
Squats- 50(30 seconds on each squat)
Calf raises- 600
Weights- 200 repitition for freeweights
75 times on bench press
*squats-- 50
calve raises-- 100
Knuckle push-ups- 500 (250 vertical, 250 horizontal)
Side-abdominal Raises- 400(200 on each side)

Wednesday-
Calve Raises- 100
Squats- 20(1 minute on each squat)
5-mile jog- goal(5 minutes better each time

Thursday-
Spar with friends- 30 minutes
Punching bag- 1 hour
Shadow-boxing- 45 minutes
Technique Training- 30 minutes

Friday-
(Double the Monday workout)

Saturday-
Tai Chi- 1 hour
Spiritual Training- 1 hour
Internal Training- 1 hour
Stealth Training- 30 minutes
Meditation- 2 hours

I hope i helped at least some of you to use at least one day from my training workout.

Build from the past, live in the present, and "ignore the future. What you do now determines what happens later" -Phoenix

Taijimantis
01-11-2001, 09:28 PM
Its about time you got here!
Where ya been?

Budokan
01-12-2001, 06:00 AM
I can tell you in one word what my workout is like: Painful.

Yet I keep doing it everyday. Go figure.

K. Mark Hoover

eccesignum
01-13-2001, 03:10 AM
where have I been?

PRACTICING! :D

Heh. Actually I just discovered this place. Kinda like it.

-----------------------
Do Not Enter the Dining Hall Until You Are Fully Cleansed

Braden
01-13-2001, 07:57 AM
Every day:
----------
Dawn: 20 minutes of bagua qigong, 10 minutes of bagua eight heavenly stretches.

Dusk: ditto.

Evening: 30 minutes of circlewalking, in various mixtures of dragon palm, 8 palm changes, and 64 palm changes.

Every even day:
-----------------
45 minutes of jiang rong qiao's original form.

45 minutes of single movement applications.

Every second odd day:
---------------------
3x12 lying tricep curls.
3x12 standing tricep curls.
3x12 incline bicep curls.
3x12 seated alternating bicep curls.
3 forearm roller sets
3x12 knee extensions
3x12 reverse knee extensions/leg curls
3x30 calf raises
3x25 raised leg crunches
3x25 leg raises
3x12 opposite side bend and raises (obliques)

Every other odd day:
--------------------
3x12 close grip bench press
3x12 lying flys
3x12 negative incline flys
3x12 deltoid raises
3x12 upright rows
4x12 seated lateral raises
4x12 military presses

When I wasn't crazy busy with school, there was a good chunk of CV work and plyometrics I did too. I superset all my weight-training, which both saves times and gives a decent CV workout. The bagua stuff is good for speed (and great for leg and abdominal strength), but I'm planning on finding a way to squeeze plyometrics in again soon.

[This message was edited by Braden on 01-14-01 at 12:23 AM.]

Fon
01-14-2001, 06:17 AM
I basically concentrate around Muscle Endurance.
So...two times a week, I do that sandbag routine that Paul posted (http://www.maxercise.com/Press/15_Grueling_Minutes.htm) but with a few changes. I'll just post the whole thing here.

o Bear-hug the sandbar, lift it and walk around for at least 30 seconds. When you pick up this bag, make sure you bend your knees. You'll quickly discover that sandbags force you to use a round-back style of lifting, just like in combat. If you are not used to this type of lifting, start lighter and progress gradually.

o Drop the bag and perform as many chin-ups as you can. Using an underhand grip, start every repetition with a hang and make sure you bring your chest up to the bar.
Move slowly and don't stop between reps. You probably won't be able to perform chin-ups for more then 30 or 40 seconds.

o Wrest the sandbag off the floor again for another grueling 30 seconds.

o Drop the bag and do a set of dips. Move slowly and do not rest between reps. By now your body should be in serious oxygen debt and you're probably sucking wind like a
vacuum hose. This is just the beginning.

o Grip the lighter bag by the canvas (like gripping a uniform) and walk around for 30 seconds.

o Reverse your grip and do a second set of chins. Right now you are asking yourself what kind of nut wants to work out this hard. The answer? The kind of nut who wants to be able to grapple all-out for six to 10 minutes with gas to spare while his opponent lies gasping at his feet.

o Grasp the lighter bag by the canvas and follow up with a set of push-ups. If you're not staggering by now, have a friend call Ripley's Believe it or Not. You're
reeling, but you can't quit now. Think of it as a life-and combat situation…you quit, you die. You are conditioning your will and your mind as you master your body.

o Pick up the lightest sandbag, or a set of dumbbells, and hold a horse stance for as long as possible.

o Drop the dumbbells. Hold the lightest sandbag to your chest, and do a set of crunches. At this point you are taping into your very mechanism. Don't stop now.

o Time for the Horse Stance again. Try to Hold it for at least 90 seconds.

o Now as every fiber in your body screams, finish this off by grasping the lighter bag by the canvas and continuously clean and press it from below your knees to over your
head for 15 repetitions without letting it touch the floor. Oh, I forgot to warn you, you may want to have a puke-bucket handy.

3-4 times a week, I do the Deck of Cards routine (Hearts = Push-ups Diamonds = pull-ups Spades = Squats The other black thingy = Bootstrappers)
There's an explanation to the Deck of Cards at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tbkfitness" TARGET="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/tbkfitness</A>

I tripped over those laces I never learned to tie, but I got up, and I'll keep getting up every time.
-Zebadiah Adam Zaharris

Boulder Student
01-14-2001, 06:30 AM
Daily:
-Tai Chi - short yang
-Meditation
Throughout the day...no problem since I work from home and have a yard:
Rattan Staff/forms practice
200 situps
25 Fingertip, 25 vertical fist, 25 horizontal fist, and 25 reverse fist pushups.
10 minutes on the heavy bag.
20 minute run/bike with the dogs.
Tai Chi - short yang
Class three times a week.

When I'm tired or I hike, bike, or snowboard I only do Tai Chi and Meditation. I never hike, bike, or snowboard on I day I have class.

I spend about 15 hours a week "training."

:D

One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.

silk
01-15-2001, 01:05 AM
I don't have much to do other than school and training so some of this might seems strange.

6:30 - 7:30 Jog
7:40 - 7:59 Hard sprint, non-stop

8:00 - 12:30 School
12:30 - 12:40 Lunch (I always eat a HUGE lunch...)
12:40 - 1:30 Jump rope
1:30 - 3:30 Back to class

3:35 Start working out

WARM-UP
Stretch with light kicking and traditional
500 chin-ups
500 push ups (thumb, tri, knuckle; vert and hor, wide - each 100)
500 Crunches (Full, leg lifts, and so on)
Half-an-hour of jogging
400 kness to chest jumps
400 frog

WORKOUT
-Kata for an hour
-All the basics and a few fancy-shmancy moves for an hour and a half.
-Hour or more of horsestance (not exactly traditional but... headphones really help pass the time!)

-Class 4 hour (4 different arts)
-Spar
-Bagwork
-Funstuff with friends(Cartwheels, backflips, fight with breakdancing moves, etc.)

-Eat some kind of supplement to resupply bodily fuels

-Swim (hardcore swimming!)
-Stretch
-Makiwara and Iron Palm training

Go home

-Stretch
-Dinner
-Sleep

I don't really weightlift since my 8+ hours of working out a day are usually enough. I train everyday of the week.

I hope this may be a helpful guide as well. And just so it doesn't look like I'm some kind of superman... there was a time I could do 10 push-ups max.

And if you want to jump high, jump a lot. That's all there's too it. Do a lot jumping. ;)

"Karate is like boiling water; if you do not keep the flame high, it turns tepid." - Gichin Funakoshi