PDA

View Full Version : People who name their kids stupid uncommon names...

tallmike
06-23-2011, 04:51 AM
should be sued.

Your leaving your kid to get made fun of for the good amount of his childhood years.

I knew a guy from college whose name was Meechelle. After saying that people would look at him and he would say, "Or Michael if you prefer."

Violent Designs
06-23-2011, 05:15 AM
I'm planning on naming my son Dwight K. Schrute and my daughter Ophelia.

tallmike
06-23-2011, 05:17 AM
I'm planning on naming my son Dwight K. Schrute and my daughter Ophelia.

The only way they would survive is if they turn out super hot. I am talking about David Beckam and Anna Kournikova hot. Otherwise they are fuked

CFT
06-23-2011, 05:23 AM
The only way they would survive is if they turn out super hot. I am talking about David Beckam and Anna Kournikova hot. Otherwise they are fukedWhat's wrong with the names David or Anna?

Or even Dwight and Ophelia?

tallmike
06-23-2011, 05:25 AM
What's wrong with the names David or Anna?

Or even Dwight and Ophelia?

David and Anna are common names. I was saying that if you are going to name your daughter Ophella she had better turn out head turning hot.

Rule 1 for names: No asian names if you are not Asian.

SPJ
06-23-2011, 08:18 AM
should be sued.

Your leaving your kid to get made fun of for the good amount of his childhood years.

I knew a guy from college whose name was Meechelle. After saying that people would look at him and he would say, "Or Michael if you prefer."

michel is like mike in french

saveit

comprande

--

David Jamieson
06-23-2011, 08:19 AM
this belongs in off topic

tallmike
06-23-2011, 08:21 AM
michel is like mike in french

saveit

comprande

--

I know that. My point was that the guy was embarrassed about this name. He mentioned "Michael" almost immediately. Unfortunately even though Meechelle translates to Michael his actual name is Meechelle. I spell it that way so people know how to pronounce it. In France it might be fine but here it is a girl's name. He mentioned his parents were immigrants but he is not.

Snipsky
06-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Rule 1 for names: No asian names if you are not Asian.

Whats wrong with asian names yo? :confused:

TenTigers
06-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Whats wrong with asian names yo? :confused:

like Augustine Fong, Quentin Fong, Shakespeare Chan, Duncan Leung..
Hong Kong Chinese, possibly due to the British influence have the coolest names.
You never see HK kids with names like Travis, Dillon, Cody....what are we, cowboys?
Next I suppose we'll be seeing Jeddedia, Jethro, and such.
I'm gonna just name my kid, Wild Bill, or Blackie....maybe, Mad Dog...

Snipsky
06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I think i'm going to name my son "Fu Jow Smith" or "Black Smith" i like that one too. I've known this one woman who named her children after cars: Porche, Audi, Mercedez. I think she had child with a mexican and names her son Pinto. :o

BJJ-Blue
06-27-2011, 07:06 AM
should be sued.

And it actually can hurt then professionally as well. There was a film out recently (I'll look for the title) that showed that kids with those ridiculous Ebonics-type names actually do worse at getting jobs/interviews/etc as adults than those with Americanized names.

MasterKiller
06-27-2011, 07:09 AM
And it actually can hurt then professionally as well. There was a film out recently (I'll look for the title) that showed that kids with those ridiculous Ebonics-type names actually do worse at getting jobs/interviews/etc as adults than those with Americanized names.

That's from Freakonomics.

It also has a great chapter on how Roe vs Wade led to massively reduced crime rates in America. ;)

BJJ-Blue
06-27-2011, 07:31 AM
That's from Freakonomics.

It also has a great chapter on how Roe vs Wade led to massively reduced crime rates in America. ;)

Correct. it was also made into a film. Morgan Spurlock (the Super Size Me guy) directed the chapter we're talking about. http://www.namecandy.com/celebrity-baby-names/blog/2010/10/11/super-size-me-director-explores-names-in-freakonomics-film

The chapter is called "A Roshanda by any other name". Here is a written excerpt of that chapter:

http://www.slate.com/id/2116449/