PDA

View Full Version : How To for a good Side Kick

Iron_Eagle_76
06-23-2011, 08:47 AM
In CMA the side kick is a weapon used effectively by Kung Fu and San Shou fighters. This like most kicks can be a longer range outside fighting weapon.

Stepping Side Kick-From front or side fighting stance:
Back leg steps or shuffles up, front leg chambers tight to the body.
Kick is thrown straight out, hitting with the heel of the foot.
As the kick is thrown out, roll the hips over to extend through the target.
As with all power kicks, the surface is not the target but rather through the surface.

Skipping Side Kick-From front or side fighting stance:
Back leg steps behind, gaining distance and momentum.
Follow same steps as in Stepping.

Please feel free to add to or list another method if you have one. This technique is very powerful and can be utilized when set up right. One method in Pai Lum we used is to feint with a jab or backfist to throw the opponents guard high than sink the side kick into the lower body. We call this "Pull the Rope".

Thanks for viewing. Pic of me in full extension doing a side kick on the heavy bag.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't do rear leg side kicks anymore, though they were a staple in my TKD days.
I prefer to use, when I use, the lead leg side kick and typically as a "stop kick" to the waist/hip area, it does a great job of distrubting structure.
BUt on occasion I have found that a good "step-in" side kick to the chest or face ( catch them by surprise) works really well.
Knee is more of s stomping target and not a "true" side kick target.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Seeing your picture, can I ask you something dude?
Do you find that at times you are "turned away" from your target after your kick connects?

Iron_Eagle_76
06-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Seeing your picture, can I ask you something dude?
Do you find that at times you are "turned away" from your target after your kick connects?

At times, yes. When you fully commit to the kick and miss or overextend, you can be turned away. This can be dangerous for someone taking your back, which is why my teacher always trained us to re-chamber and get back to fighting stance fast to avoid this.

I do much more shuffling side kicks with the front leg than anything else, I find them the most useful, easier to connect with, and much less dangerous of exposing your back to the clinch if you overextend or miss your target.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 09:48 AM
At times, yes. When you fully commit to the kick and miss or overextend, you can be turned away. This can be dangerous for someone taking your back, which is why my teacher always trained us to re-chamber and get back to fighting stance fast to avoid this.

I do much more shuffling side kicks with the front leg than anything else, I find them the most useful, easier to connect with, and much less dangerous of exposing your back to the clinch if you overextend or miss your target.

I would suggest that your guard arm ( same arm as kicking leg) is too over your body, towards the inside.
That tends to cause Us to "turn" to the inside when we finish the kick.
See your pic for what I mean.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the advice, Ronin. I generally try to keep a higher guard throughout, but sometimes you overextend and power through so much you throw yourself off balance and "turn" as you said. Certainly something to work on.;)

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the advice, Ronin. I generally try to keep a higher guard throughout, but sometimes you overextend and power through so much you throw yourself off balance and "turn" as you said. Certainly something to work on.;)

I do the same too, even after decades of kicking, LOL !, such is the imperfection of human nature ( easy way).
:D
try to keep the hand up but the elbow outside, that may do the trick.
Some guys extend the arm as balance and as a nusience.

goju
06-23-2011, 10:31 AM
The biggest problem i see with people with the kick is the stance they used to set it up,They tend to stand to side ways when its thrown and keeping your stance like that limits your mobility and tends to telegraph what you are going to do before you do it.

Since i dont have a camera to record what i'm saying imade a very masterfully drawn picture set by step to how id throw mine :D

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd508/catzilla7/sidekickproper.jpg

I tend to throw it from a boxing style stance where the feet and the body are at an angle rather than the body being too side ways as the woman in is doing it in her stance.

I believe the only time you should be side ways is when the kick is launched As the 2nd foot position shows i achieve this by quickly shuffling my back leg in line with my front leg AS the front leg is being chambered to kick.

So basically from the first stance it's just a quickly shuffling of the feet as the leg is being lifted.This allows me to move around and attack with my hands easier in order to set up the kick rather than be restricted with the clumsy side ways stance.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Don't look to throw it, juts be in your preferred stance and when a person gets in its "zone", nail him.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
A valid point and good diagram, Goju. One thing I would add though is you don't want a true boxer's stance when throwing kicks because of how close the feet will be together as well as most boxers put most of their weight on the front leg to increase power for their jab.

A modified boxing stance is better with the feet a little wider apart and not so much weight distributed on the front. You will have a faster "shuffle" and faster kick all together.

wenshu
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.flashmavi.com/video/sanda_side_kick.shtml

Can be easy to catch, especially if thrown at the mid section and not retracted quickly enough.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.flashmavi.com/video/sanda_side_kick.shtml

Can be easy to catch, especially if thrown at the mid section and not retracted quickly enough.

Chuck Norris can knock Jupiter out of its orbit with his side kick.

wenshu
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM
I heard it was Uranus. . .

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM
I heard it was Uranus. . .

Sticky.....

wenshu
06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6302871328.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

YouKnowWho
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM

I train it daily but I don't think I'll ever use it in combat. It's against my principle of "using kick to set up punches". I want my opponent to come closer to me. My side kick will force him to move back which is not what I want.

wenshu
06-23-2011, 01:37 PM
If you are woefully out of your depth (like I am most of the time) it is an effective way to create distance.

A heel to the solar plexus is a great opening too.

Or an unsettling off color remark followed by a heel to the solar plexus.

Lucas
06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
flying sidekick to the lower back would be a great way to get someones attention. standing is ok too, but who doesnt like to fly?

HumbleWCGuy
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
The biggest problem i see with people with the kick is the stance they used to set it up,They tend to stand to side ways when its thrown and keeping your stance like that limits your mobility and tends to telegraph what you are going to do before you do it.

Since i dont have a camera to record what i'm saying imade a very masterfully drawn picture set by step to how id throw mine :D

I tend to throw it from a boxing style stance where the feet and the body are at an angle rather than the body being too side ways as the woman in is doing it in her stance.

I believe the only time you should be side ways is when the kick is launched As the 2nd foot position shows i achieve this by quickly shuffling my back leg in line with my front leg AS the front leg is being chambered to kick.

So basically from the first stance it's just a quickly shuffling of the feet as the leg is being lifted.This allows me to move around and attack with my hands easier in order to set up the kick rather than be restricted with the clumsy side ways stance.

Do you tend to use more snapping side kicks? I have had success with showing the sidekick from a side stance. Reason being is that I intend to deliver a crushing blow that hurts whether it is blocked or not.

Oso
06-23-2011, 04:59 PM
front leg as a 'lazy' stop...like, when they are being lazier than I am :D

back leg only when I think I made 'em think it was a high gate front kick then I switch to mid gate.

it's also fun to side kick off the front legs to the ribs if you happen to have succesfully grabbed their lead hand and can pull them in to the kick.

goju
06-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Do you tend to use more snapping side kicks? I have had success with showing the sidekick from a side stance. Reason being is that I intend to deliver a crushing blow that hurts whether it is blocked or not.

No i subscribe to the Bas Rutten theory of fighting where every strike is a full out power shot.I Keep my power side forward and side kick with the lead leg only so i get the most out of the kick.

Jimbo
06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I always retracted my side kick back to chamber after contact. Not only does it lessen the chance of the leg being grabbed, but helps to keep you from getting turned around. It also focuses the power into the target far better than simply thrusting the leg out then dropping it straight down, as some people will do. Kind of a thrusting side kick with a snapping retraction.

During the time that I did Tang Soo Do/TKD, the 'basic' side kick was off the back leg, but I stopped doing that decades ago. I only do/did the side kick off the lead leg, catching someone as they came in, or sometimes the skipping-in method. Occasionally shuffle/fade back or off-angle and catch them coming in. I think of it kind of like a 'foot punch' when used as a stop-kick. I figured if I can make contact with a stop-kick, might as well put some jolt in it instead of only a push/block.

Since my injury I haven't been able to practice my side kick (and round kick, etc., for that matter), but am planning to when(!!) my body recovers.

IMO, seemingly one of the LEAST useful kicks would be the "side snap kick" like in Shotokan forms, where the kicker puts the sole of his foot against his standing knee, then flicks his foot almost obliquely upwards/to the side and back. It doesn't seem like a kick that would inflict much damage.

YouKnowWho
06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
When your opponent applies side kick to you, that will be the best time for you to enter. As long as you can deflect the kick, you only have to worry about his leading arm since his back arm will be too far to reach you. If you can jam his leading arm, you will have a safe entry. This will not apply to the front kick or roundhouse kick situation because your opponet can still hit you with both hands.

Jimbo
06-23-2011, 07:08 PM
I would agree. The side kick is a tool that's good to have in your arsenal, but that's best not to overuse for those exact reasons. But when you land it properly, it can be devastating.

I remember some guys back in the day like Joe Lewis who had scary side kicks. These days it seems comparatively few people develop it.

TenTigers
06-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I always retracted my side kick back to chamber after contact. Not only does it lessen the chance of the leg being grabbed, but helps to keep you from getting turned around. It also focuses the power into the target far better than simply thrusting the leg out then dropping it straight down, as some people will do. Kind of a thrusting side kick with a snapping retraction.

IMO, seemingly one of the LEAST useful kicks would be the "side snap kick" like in Shotokan forms, where the kicker puts the sole of his foot against his standing knee, then flicks his foot almost obliquely upwards/to the side and back. It doesn't seem like a kick that would inflict much damage.

I don't know how to do multiple quotes, so I will answer both of those statements.
I also re-chamber my sidekick. I find that by not doing it, actually affects the trajectory and penetration of the kick. The fast retraction along the same line of the kick ensures that it tracks straight into the target, and adds that extra oomph at the end.
I practice kicking over a chair. It forces me to have a good, tight chamber.
This enables me to kick from a closer distance without the leg being jammed.

The "side snap kick" I see as really good for shins and knees. It's very fast and has zero telegraphing of the upper body. That's about all I use it for. Makes for a great set-up.

Also, someone mentioned grabbing the lead arm and pulling it into a sidekick to the ribs.
THAT was the first time I got my ribs broken. I was 17. I've been doing that kick and teaching it ever since.

YouKnowWho
06-23-2011, 08:14 PM
I grabbing the lead arm and pulling it into a sidekick to the ribs.
After that kick, you can do a beautiful 涮(Shuan) throw since your opponent's arm is straight at that moment. A twist on his arm will make him to flip forward.

At 0.47, 0.52, and 0.57 (This move may not work in your nearest MMA gym - if I don't say it, someone will).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM5orlabCFE

I used to train my side kick by putting a concret block vertically on a table. If I can break that concret block instead of pushing it away, I may have developed some kicking power. The problem is it just cost too much (a concrete block used to cost $1.20 each).

Lucas
06-23-2011, 08:17 PM
i also sometimes when im alone i like to practice my side kick on a concrete wall, to feel the impact with no give at all. maybe that is just me but i felt it helped me to develop snap. i line my distance perfect with either pivot chamber, or step in chamber and when i would get the wall to slap loud every kick until i started to lose my slapping then i am done. i dont really do this anymore, but when i first started i did this with my side kick and my turn back kicks. probably horrible for my knees..but that is wha tyouth is for!!!

Lucas
06-23-2011, 08:18 PM
After that kick, you can do a beautiful 涮(Shuan) throw.

I used to train my side kick by putting a concret block vertically on a table. If I can break that concret block instead of pushing it away, I may have developed some kicking power. The problem is it just cost too much (a concrete block used to cost $1.20 each).

if you can do that kick then throw and pull it off the fight is pretty much over...

YouKnowWho
06-23-2011, 08:35 PM
My TKD friend had help me a lot to refine my side kick. The longfist system has side kick. But the chamber part is not in enough detail. After I have learned to

- raise my knee vertically,
- make my lower leg to be parallel to the ground,
- bend my knee as far back as possible, and
- kick out my leg,

my kick was much better since then. TKD had helped me on my side kick as much as MT had helped me on my roundhouse kick.

TenTigers
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
that's pretty much the way I do a side kick as well. Like I said, I practice it over a chair. The closer I stand to the back of the chair, the more I have to lift my knee and lower leg. Great training, but a real pain to do well.
The throw you mentioned, is that a neck mopping throw? I can see that as being one possibility.

YouKnowWho
06-24-2011, 12:34 AM
The throw you mentioned, is that a neck mopping throw? I can see that as being one possibility.

It's not a neck mopping throw because if your side kick at your opponent's chest, his arm that you are holding must be straight in order to give you enough distance for your kick, it will be too far for you to move your hand on the back of his neck.

The force is not to pull your opponent's head down but to "pull and twist your opponent's arm sideway and backward". When you use your side kick to straight your opponent's arm, both of your hands are holding your opponent's right arm. If you step in your right leg (1st step) and then stealing step your left leg (2nd step), you will move yourself under your opponent's right arm and a bit behind his right shoulder. If you just pull his right arm toward his hand direction and twist it downward, you will create a "flip" force on him and throw him forward. I have never seen anybody be able to use this move in tournament. As Lucas had pointed out, if you can make your side kick work, the throw may work after that. If you can't make your side kick work, since you have to move 2 steps, that will give your opponent too much time to react. This will make the move a low successful rate. It's a good demo move but not a good combat move.

A realistic "solo" combat throw should be able to be executed within 1/2 second. Any throw that take longer than that, the successful rate will be lower. If you have to borrow your opponent's force, your speed will depend on your opponent's speed, that will be a different story.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
that's pretty much the way I do a side kick as well. Like I said, I practice it over a chair. The closer I stand to the back of the chair, the more I have to lift my knee and lower leg. Great training, but a real pain to do well.

I had forgotten that one. Thanks for the reminder.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
No i subscribe to the Bas Rutten theory of fighting where every strike is a full out power shot.I Keep my power side forward and side kick with the lead leg only so i get the most out of the kick.

Although I think that throwing too many snapping kicks will get you in trouble at times, I wonder if Bas was speaking more to the strategy that some people will use which is to hold back effort during early rounds of fighting?

sanjuro_ronin
06-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Although I think that throwing too many snapping kicks will get you in trouble at times, I wonder if Bas was speaking more to the strategy that some people will use which is to hold back effort during early rounds of fighting?

Bas' view is that, if you put your "all" into every shot ( make every shot count) even those that don't hit the spot will compromise your opponents structure and keep him honest.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Bas' view is that, if you put your "all" into every shot ( make every shot count) even those that don't hit the spot will compromise your opponents structure and keep him honest.

Which means what? Don't throw snapping techniques or always throw hard (whatever it is that you are throwing). I suspect that it is always throw hard within the structure of a technique. If you are throwing a snapping kick then throw a hard one rather than avoid snapping kicks.

wenshu
06-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Bas Rutten also knocks people out with a JAB!

sanjuro_ronin
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
bas rutten also knocks people out with a jab!

<<<<<this>>>>>>>

JamesC
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
And barstools.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 12:08 PM
<<<<<this>>>>>>>

The "Bas knocks people out with a jab comment," is of uncertain significance. Does Bas have Mike Tyson-like power? That's probably part of it, but does Bas advocate only throwing the stiffest and hardest jab or does he also like to throw more standard jabs. My point is that I think that what Bas was referring to was effort no necessarily avoiding a type or class of technique specifically. All I think that Bas was getting at was to avoid flicker and "feeling" techniques and put some power into whatever you throw even though it may not be the most powerful form of the technique that you could throw.

sanjuro_ronin
06-24-2011, 12:16 PM
The "Bas knocks people out with a jab comment," is of uncertain significance. Does Bas have Mike Tyson-like power? That's probably part of it, but does Bas advocate only throwing the stiffest and hardest jab or does he also like to throw more standard jabs. My point is that I think that what Bas was referring to was effort no necessarily avoiding a type or class of technique specifically. All I think that Bas was getting at was to avoid flicker and "feeling" techniques and put some power into whatever you throw even though it may not be the most powerful form of the technique that you could throw.

You just basically said what I and Goju said.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
You just basically said what I and Goju said.

I don't think so. Goju said that he avoids snap kicks to follow the Bas philosophy. A snapping kick is not a flicker.

What you said wasn't clear to me so I was asking for more clarification.

goju
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Well tbh to many people snapping= bad as its generally considered the quick type of attack that generally just irritates the opponent and is heavy on speed but not on power.

When i side kick my leg is thrusted out fast and retracted back fast so you could kind of consider that a snapping motion however i just call it a stomping action.When i've shown people how to side kick i tell them to essentially try to stomp through the bag or body of the person to get the most out of the kick.

When ever you lift your leg to kick you are at more of a risk so in my mind you should put everything you have behind the leg attack every time you do it.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Well tbh to many people snapping= bad as its generally considered the quick type of attack that generally just irritates the opponent and is heavy on speed but not on power.

I think that can be. I have always trained with an emphasis on full-contact so I typically think of snapping as something that uses limited hip power so that you can land back in your stance and follow up with my hands more readily if I miss rather than that old-school TKD slop like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlY3fKTV7w . However, I don't want to discount what Bill is doing there because it is to the head. I have seen plenty of head trauma from kicks just like that. The body, not so much.

sanjuro_ronin
06-24-2011, 01:12 PM
I think that can be. I have always trained with an emphasis on full-contact so I typically think of snapping as something that uses limited hip power so that you can land back in your stance and follow up with my hands more readily if I miss rather than that old-school TKD slop like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlY3fKTV7w . However, I don't want to discount what Bill is doing there because it is to the head. I have seen plenty of head trauma from kicks just like that. The body, not so much.

I've seen and KO'd guys with lead leg round kicks, the jarring effect on the head is quite something.
It's not just in TKD but Kyokushin as well.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I've seen and KO'd guys with lead leg round kicks, the jarring effect on the head is quite something.
It's not just in TKD but Kyokushin as well.

I prefer the the snapping style round to the head. The "Thai" style demands that you stay upright when you throw it. The angle is bad and it gets deflected a lot. Also, the "Thai" style limits the shorter man's ability to go to the head effectively.

Edit:
Obviously, I am just speaking about the Generic Thai method which clearly varies from school to school. I have seen some Thai fighters that have kicks as versatile as anything that I have seen anywhere. Duke Roufus being a great example. He calls himself MT but he really does a blend of MT and whatever brand of Larper-do that he learned as a kid. And, it is devastating.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
How do you guys prefer to kick to the head?

JamesC
06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Personally, I prefer not to.

Only time I will is if it is set up with a feint. Brazilian kicks work particularly well, ime.

wenshu
06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
however i just call it a stomping action.

god****right

Lucas
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM

i like inside crescent kick myself. i generally dont kick to head but if i do i like to set up for a inside crescent. most people probably like the roundhouse, with a crescent you basically dont altar from 'on guard' structure except for being on one leg...which i dont like being on one leg at all unless i fight a striker only,,,,too many wrestler will take instant advantage...

YouKnowWho
06-24-2011, 02:45 PM
No matter how good your higth kick may be when you were young, your high kick will not be good when you get older. The head kick is not some skill that you can keep for the rest of your life.

Will it be bettter to have some skill that you can still use when you are 80 years old?

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 03:46 PM
No matter how good your higth kick may be when you were young, your high kick will not be good when you get older. The head kick is not some skill that you can keep for the rest of your life.

Will it be bettter to have some skill that you can still use when you are 80 years old?

Kicking to the head requires and demonstrates a high degree of kicking skill. It's rare that someone who has truly developed their kick properly would not be able to kick at or above their own head height. It's just an expression of a well-trained kicking game not the extent of.

IMO, the best way to develop any kick is to practice it high as improving strength and dynamic flexibility. It's hard to imagine that someone has a highly trained kick and couldn't throw a decent high kick.

Also, if it won't work when your 80 so don't do it is the rationale. Just buy a gun and practice with that and avoid wasting time with martial arts. I doubt that many of us will have the ability to defend against a 17 year old when we are ourselves 80.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 03:48 PM
i like inside crescent kick myself. i generally dont kick to head but if i do i like to set up for a inside crescent. most people probably like the roundhouse, with a crescent you basically dont altar from 'on guard' structure except for being on one leg...which i dont like being on one leg at all unless i fight a striker only,,,,too many wrestler will take instant advantage...

The outside to inside crescent gets used a lot in MT. If you watch a good bit of the round kicks to the head in slow motion, they end up turning into crescents.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Personally, I prefer not to.

Only time I will is if it is set up with a feint. Brazilian kicks work particularly well, ime.

I don't know about this brazilian kick. It seems to me like it should just be a standard karate-style round house. When I see demonstrations of it though, it is usually just seems to be something with some additional movements that cause undue hip and knee stress. I am not convinced that the Brazilian kick is a real kick.

JamesC
06-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Well it isn't really a "new" kick. It's called that because of the brazilian kyokushin guys I believe. Perhaps SR can shed some light on it.

And you're right about the stress on the joints. You've got to have some flexible knees and hips for sure.

Essentially it is just a transition from a front to round kick. You chamber it like a front kick and then bring it around.

HumbleWCGuy
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
And you're right about the stress on the joints. You've got to have some flexible knees and hips for sure.

I think that it is just an incorrectly done kick that some people with unusual hip flexibility can do. I taught some college kids for a time. out of a group of 6, one developed a "Brazilian" head kick. He has very slender legs and flexible hips. I let him work with the other students on the kick while I went to the car. When I came back in the other students were trying to use his method and pulling up lame after the kick. I have worked it myself for experimentation's sake and I don't see it as a sound option that can be taught in mass.

YouKnowWho
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't do rear leg side kicks anymore.

If I train my rear leg side kicks 20 times in a roll, I'll get dizzy. Is that normal? Did you ever feel that? I don't get the same dizziness if I do 20 of my back hook kicks.

Lucas
06-24-2011, 07:03 PM
If I train my rear leg side kicks 20 times in a roll, I'll get dizzy. Is that normal? Did you ever feel that? I don't get the same dizziness if I do 20 of my back hook kicks.

ya, the only way i find to counter that dizzy is with head movement like in dancing....but that isnt how our head shold move lol so we get dizzy

Lucas
06-24-2011, 07:05 PM
The outside to inside crescent gets used a lot in MT. If you watch a good bit of the round kicks to the head in slow motion, they end up turning into crescents.

yep i have noticed that too...its funny because i first got into loving the crescent from watching jackie chan movies, he had some really fast crescent kicks he liked to do in close range in his movie choreography

TenTigers
06-24-2011, 09:46 PM
crescent kicks are funny things. When beginners first start they use the crescent kick alot, because it's relatively easy. Then at intermediate level, they start using side kicks, hook kicks, roundhouses, and drop the crescent kick. I was sparring a guy years back and he nearly nailed me with an inside crescent. I hadn't used it in so long, I forgot what it was like when it came at me. If thrown correctly (and this guy did) it comes from outside your peripheral vision and you can't see it coming.
Needless to say, after that, I started throwing crescents again.
I do Hung Kuen and SPM, and we don't throw alot of kicks, but I got my start in Northern and Korean style, so I developed good legs. I teach my students alot of kicks as well. Tool development. If you don't throw them, then how can you defend against someone who can?
I'm 54 (this July) and I can kick the head no problem.
"Arms like legs, legs like arms"

Jimbo
06-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I prefer the outside crescent over the inside crescent. I remember in the past, some "American karate" fighters used to say that crescent kicks weren't effective, but I caught people with the outside crescent to the head all the time. People really don't expect it, as it comes from a blind spot and with little telltale sign it's coming. It's also good after a feint, or as an end technique. The closest to the outside crescent most people expect are the axe or hook kicks.

Lucas
06-24-2011, 11:18 PM
lol ya i always loved the inside crescent since i was knocked out by it. never saw it coming until it was there.

i think for me i always felt my outside was too slow, just me personally, so i never developed it much to what it could be.

i think for me also the side kick and especially the turn back kick always held a level of respect just because of the sheer amount of force that can be delivered through them. i mean i dont know anyone that could honestly take a full force side kick to the solar plexus from a master heavy weight kicker without going down.

YouKnowWho
06-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I prefer the outside crescent over the inside crescent.

How do you train outside crescent kick on a heavy bag? Do you feel it may put too much pressure on your knee joint sideway? What will be your contact point on the heavy bag?

JamesC
06-25-2011, 05:53 AM
lol ya i always loved the inside crescent since i was knocked out by it. never saw it coming until it was there.

i think for me i always felt my outside was too slow, just me personally, so i never developed it much to what it could be.

i think for me also the side kick and especially the turn back kick always held a level of respect just because of the sheer amount of force that can be delivered through them. i mean i dont know anyone that could honestly take a full force side kick to the solar plexus from a master heavy weight kicker without going down.

On a similar note...

When I was a wee lad and in TKD, I fought(point sparring...not really fighting. I was young!) against a tiny little kid from a wing chun school. I knew what wing chun was so I knew he wouldn't be kicking me above the waist. Plus, he was like a foot shorter than me.

Mistake. I'm pretty sure he tried to kill me. Never saw the spinning hook kick the the adams apple coming. Very, very sneaky.

As I gasped for air, the judge didn't see it and kept telling me to get back on the line to restart. I almost performed "Monkey steals the peach" on him for vengeance.

Jimbo
06-25-2011, 09:55 AM
How do you train outside crescent kick on a heavy bag? Do you feel it may put too much pressure on your knee joint sideway? What will be your contact point on the heavy bag?

When throwing to make contact with the outside crescent on the heavy bag, and also during sparring, I used the "bent-to-straight-knee" method. Say you're facing 12:00 and you're kicking with your right leg. You raise your bent knee up to the inside and extend the leg to the outside anywhere between 10:00 to 11:00 and bring it out into the target. Even at "full extension," you can keep a very slight bend in the knee when the kick makes contact, though the leg looks fully straight. The contact point is the outside blade of the foot. This method requires less telegraphing, less effort, and is quicker than the traditional CMA version, which keeps a straight-leg throughout.

I never experienced any knee problems from it. If you kick the heavy bag with it, you're going to be kicking near the top part, which is less dense. Also, if you feel that it still puts undue pressure on the knee joint on the bag, you can alter it a bit by slightly pointing the knee a little more outwards, but this will put the contact point at the instep instead of the blade of foot. IMO, like the hook/spinning hook kick, it's generally better to train the outside crescent kick against kicking pads than the heavy bag, because they allow for follow-through.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Somewhere I saw a comment about high kicks and just wanted to add this. At 34 I am still very flexible and can head kick with ease. Now, when I was 20 I could do full chinese splits, not so anymore however proper stretching, proper stance training, and proper practice should allow someone to continue this practice. My Sifu is 62 and can still head kick with ease.

On the other hand, some people are just not built for these kind of kicks. Not saying that by working at them they could not do them eventually, a person's natural build is very indicitive of how well these kind of kicks can be done. The most important kick to learn is the power roundhouse thrown to the legs, which pretty much anyone at any level of flexibility can do. Donkey and stomp kicks as well as reeps and sweeps are very good to learn for those less flexible also.

I also believe that those who spout off about how high kicks don't work and can't be done are either not athletic enough to do them or have been brain washed by the MMA crowd who like to say these techniques don't work, when the reality is most of them have never trained with someone that experienced in kicking arts.

A friend and training partner who trains in and has competed in Muay Thai always used to tell me how TMA like Karate and Taekwondo had weak kicks and their "fancy" high kicks did not work and were uneffective. The first time we sparred and I nailed him with a hook and ax kick that put him down he told me he did not realize those kicks could pack so much power.

In the end, kicks, just like any other technique, will only be as good as the person working hard to perfect them.

Jimbo
07-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Joe Lewis side kick

vs. David Moon (1968):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJMDb8mjEBA

vs. Skipper Mullins (ignore the Enter the Dragon BL footage edited into this clip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5re7xB-Y4w

Joe Lewis vs. Arnold Urquidez (1970):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0SV1afbMLU

Seminar (2011):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f37Bfg-CF0s

Joe Lewis also helped pioneer kickboxing in the U.S. around the year 1970.

Dragonzbane76
07-09-2011, 09:57 PM
commenting on the crescent kicks on bag.

I agree with youknowho. I've tried crescents on the bag and it really is a strain on the joint. I prefer to do them on mitts with partner. More give and not so much weight involved for repetitive practice. Good kick and under used by many. I use it a lot for set ups or swiping motions to move persons hands or body.