PDA

View Full Version : HeavyBag Training

HitWah
01-13-2001, 05:19 PM
How many times per week & for how long should you train on the heavy bag?

GinSueDog
01-13-2001, 09:09 PM
At least two to three times a week, or if you have your own, four to five times a week. You also want to work your way up and increase bag size to keep developing power. The thai banana bags work great.-ED

Taijimantis
01-17-2001, 07:01 AM
Too is to get yerself a water core bag. You can ajust the weight as you increase your power, thus adding resistance.

Plus I have found a reduction in my wrist oriented soreness with a water filled bag.

jacob360
01-26-2001, 05:12 PM
Do you guys train with gloves or bare knuckled?

GinSueDog
01-29-2001, 02:41 AM
Gloves, either bag gloves or normal boxing gloves. You do not want to hit the heavy bags without some type of hand protection. A friend of mine works out without gloves on a Thai banana bag and his hands shake uncontrolably for at least an hour afterwards, that can not be a good thing.-ED

ninja turtle
01-29-2001, 04:08 AM
could repetetive striking of objects mess with your chi flow- thus shortening your life? or is chi projected at your target while striking, even if you aren't concsious of it?

i've seen an add for a "gel" bag- "with life-like fleshy fat jiggle"- says it's better for you long term- lasts longer- and you don't have to use gloves cuz it's like hitting a fat guy......
just wondering if they're worth it.

bean curd
01-29-2001, 04:15 AM
you should always use some sort off protection when doing heavy bag work.

the idea behind heavy bag work is it tells you what you are doing wrong and how to correct it.
eg. not punching correct - allignment of the body.
it also assists in your mind becoming familiar with this type of force placed on your body.

don't use heavy bag work to toughen your hands etc, this isn't really what you should use it for.

if splitting of the skin starts, especially between the little finger and the ring finger (webbing) you should stop immediatly, and not continue until it heals.

SilentShadow
02-01-2001, 06:48 AM
Actually, repeatedly striking objects increases your chi. What do you think iron palm is? ;)

"The way lays claim to no merit, therefore merit never deserts it." - Lao Tzu

JWTAYLOR
02-01-2001, 06:15 PM
My prize peice of training gear is my heavy bag. 210lbs and covered with horse hidd leather. It's an Everlast bag that's supposed to only weigh in at 180lbs, but it's 210 on my scale at home. Maybe it's the chains, maybe it's not using the reccomended sand. Anyway, I POUND on this thing. It is my humble opinion that, with the exeption of another human being, nothing teaches you how to strike hard like a really heavy bag. And the bag never ruptures a kidney. Advantage, bag.

I work out with just the bag only for about 45minutes to an hour at a time, 3 times a week. I work punches, hand strikes, knees, elbows and kicks. I tried headbutts once...once.
Personally, I'm a big believer in bare knuckled. I've never had any kind of problem with it. And it reinforces perfect hand and foot position. However, I had been in the martial arts and hitting focus mitts and light bags for about 15 years before I got into heavy bag training. So I already had hand and foot position and conditioning down pretty well. I would not reccomend no gloves and really heavy bag work for a beginner. But heavy bag work IS vital. IMHO

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

qeySuS
02-01-2001, 07:51 PM
John Wayne Tailor: I aggree with the bare knuckles, however i find that having some kind of cloth straps on your hands to be useful. I like the conditioning i get from hitting heavy bags (if only it wasnt for my overly swollen knuckle,,,,**** you!) But i get burn marks on my hands if i accidently hit the bag badly (which is bound to happen if i strike it long enough) So i got like some of them cloth straps to wrap around my knuckles and hands.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

nospam
02-02-2001, 03:18 AM
Personally speaking (and perhaps traditionally), heavy bags are good for cardio work. That's about it. My opinion is that it cab breed bad form. Use a training partner whenever possible. It is like th saying..boards do not hit back..neither do bags.

Although I like using a bag for kicks. Then again, with that said..how much bag work does a front snap kick require?

Give me a training partner any day over a bag.

My $5 Canadian worth. Gee, aint they sooo pretty nowadays?

nospam
02-02-2001, 03:19 AM
Personally speaking (and perhaps traditionally), heavy bags are good for cardio work. That's about it. My opinion is that it can breed bad form. Use a training partner whenever possible. It is like the saying..boards do not hit back..neither do bags.

Although I like using a bag for kicks. Then again, with that said..how much bag work does a front snap kick require?

Give me a training partner any day over a bag. Sooner or later that person will step or eitherwise move wrong and you will find out how well you plant a kick or extend a fist.

My $5 Canadian worth. Gee, aint they sooo pretty nowadays?