PDA

View Full Version : Iron Body

qeySuS
01-14-2001, 12:22 AM
Since i have a bit of free time on my hands i would really like to get some training done at home. What sounds ideal is iron palm training or something equal. What i would REALLY want would be stronger forearms for blocking and knuckles+shins for striking, but there is no school or books on this subject here in iceland. Could you point out a book/video on this? I also read on <A HREF="http://www.wle.com" TARGET="_blank">www.wle.com</A> about that Iron Palm training kit (sounds ideal for me) With Dit Da Jow (although i have a formula of jow i like at the moment) 2 bags (sand and grain) and an instructional video for iron palm training. Although that is only iron palm and leaves out the shins :/ Any ideas? Perhaps a website with a graphical description of this?

Free thinkers are dangerous.

lungyuil
01-15-2001, 01:24 PM
qeysus,
in Yau Kung Mun we strengthen our forearms by using the roller bar, a taped bundle of chop sticks, 3 star conditioning drills, hammer strikes on bags filled with chick peas or pebbles.

with the roller bar you get a steel bar roll it on your forearms by pushing your arms out then in. this conditions the forearms as well as the shoulders (good for the chi). also try doing it in horse stance. this way you can get an allround workout.
the roller bar can also be used for the shins. roll it gently up & down the area you want to condition.

with the chop sticks, grab the taped bundle and start slapping them onto your forearms.
this can also be used for the shins by tapping away at the areas.

with the hammer strikes, same as iron palm only difference is that you strike the forearm.
remember use alot of jow.

hope this helps :)

[This message was edited by lungyuil on 01-16-01 at 05:38 AM.]

qeySuS
01-15-2001, 06:51 PM
hmm cool sounds like a plan :) Although i heard from some personal web site of a Muay Thai guy that the roller bar method was in some way not a good one... well who gives :P if noone posts here that its bad i'll go for it (think i read something about the greatness of this method on the general forum too so...) One question tho, whats a hammer strike? In my mind a hammer strike is when you drop our heel on someones head/shoulders from a 180° position with the leg. and im assuming this is not the strike your talking about :)

oh yes last minute update. Think escrima sticks will do the trick of the roller bar??

[This message was edited by qeySuS on 01-16-01 at 10:58 AM.]

lungyuil
01-15-2001, 09:47 PM
quysus,
believe me, the roller bar is one of the best conditioning methods considering the allround effect you can get andthe results are great.
A hammer strike is very popular in Yua Kung Mun. we tend to use it when striking, blocking, breaking & even bridging. it is the use of the inner or outer forearm to strike with a clenched fist.this can be very destructive.

and no, escrima sticks won't do the trick. you need to get a metal bar which is a little heavy and can grind into the bones.also tape up the bar so it has a smoother feel that way it can roll easier. :)

Kung Lek
01-16-2001, 12:30 AM
Hi-

Pick up a book called "Kung Fu, History Philosophy and Technique" by David Chow and Richard Spangler.

In the back you will find write ups on the various Kung exercises related to Kung fu training.

A good place to start the learning curve on this subject.

peace

Kung Lek

Scarletmantis
01-17-2001, 11:55 PM
Greetings everyone!
I have had the opportunity to practice the roller bar training mentioned on previous posts. I got good results, but I think I found somthing better. The roller bar can be difficult to find but almost everyone has access to a good rolling pin (the kind used to roll out dough for baking). I've used mine on my shins daily for about seven months. I can now execute shin kicks and sweeps against a medium sized sapling with little pain. As far as conditioning the forarms is concerned, I have been performing three star blocking against the formentioned sapling for three years (not daily however, I lacked the time), and no one in my school wants to do it with me anymore 'cause my forarms are "too hard". Be sure to apply liberal amounts of Dit Da Jow before, during, and after practice. Don't use either method for longer than thirty minutes,and wichever of these methods you choose to do, stick to it long enough to gage your results accuratly. Good Luck!

qeySuS
01-18-2001, 02:56 PM
hmm cool i was having problems finding a steel bar, and i tried the escrima stick i mentioned earlier and it well worked ok but i had problems making it roll on my shinds so it basicly got into rubbing wrather then rolling so i stopped it. Might try your way :) But the chopstick method i'm using and liking.

phantom
01-21-2001, 10:38 PM
Lungyuil what kind of tape should you tape up the rolling bar with? Mylar tape?

lungyuil
01-22-2001, 09:07 AM
Phantom,
just us normal duct tape because of the smooth face. it will allow the bar to roll smoothly. :)

WingLamStudent
01-22-2001, 06:47 PM
geySuS,

The Iron Palm training kit that you saw on wle.com is a good start. It provides all that you would need to start true iron palm training. They also sell Iron Body training bags. From the web site you can see that these bags are filled with the same material as the Iron Palm bags. If you do not want to do the whole Iron Body training, then these bags can be used for shin and forarm conditioning as well.

- Mark

Kevin73
01-23-2001, 07:23 AM
I learned this method from someone I used to talk with on a Kenpo Forum. Take a rubber mallet and pound on the shins and forearms. It's quick and easy to do while watching TV or something like that.

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

phantom
01-23-2001, 09:34 PM
I really appreciate it. However, I have to disagree with rubbing anything against your shins, for some Muay Thai kickboxers who have done that have gotten bone problems later on in life. I am not sure about banging chopsticks against your shins, either. I was told that you should not bang anything against your shins that is not padded. I suppose Wing Lam's method is safe, although I never have tried it myself. However, I do not think that it is a good idea to learn iron palm or iron body from a video, as I feel that you really need a live flesh and blood instructor to supervise you to make sure that you are doing it right. No offense to you or your sifu, WingLamStudent. I have a lot of respect for your sifu. I personally have used his Northern Shaolin videos to help me with my training. Aside from the fact that I think the videos are a little too fast to keep up with, I found the videos to be very helpful. I am just a little leary about learning any kind of body conditioning solely from a video. Just my opinion. Please do not take it personally. Peace

fiercest tiger
01-23-2001, 11:11 PM
phantom- you cannot get iron body from just doing nothing, you will have to hit you, toughen, strengthen you whole body through 2 man conditioning drills, training devices, herbs, chi kung, meditation.

depends on how far you want to go with your training and how you beat your body up. you must have internal and external dit dar for healing. there no other way around it to get tough.

thai boxers dont use proper chinese medicine for condition. i know they have something but its not like dit dar of kung fu.

remember its dont slowly and gradualy. :cool:

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

phantom
01-24-2001, 06:34 PM
I really appreciate it. However, is it really safe for everyone to take the internal dit da jow? Some people have died as a result of taking certain herbs, such as ginseng and triptophan. I know that with Golden Bell training, the medicine you take depends on your health and medical history. Does the same rule apply to iron body? Also, you have said in the past that you need internal jow for iron palm. Yet, I know of sifus who only use the external jow for iron palm. I fail to see why you would need an internal medicine for merely dropping your hand lightly onto a canvas bag.I do not mean to offend you by posting this. I am just trying to get to the bottom of the truth.Peac

[This message was edited by phantom on 01-25-01 at .]

phantom
01-24-2001, 09:22 PM
Also, do you have to follow a special diet when using the internal jow?

fiercest tiger
01-24-2001, 10:26 PM
all martial artist and people should try and have a decent diet! it doesnt matter because in china sometimes it was very poor and people at rats and sh!t. have a chinese doctor to check your pulses and do a full medical from your own personal physician before starting any training.

ginseng and royal jelly have been around since the year dot, it can have bad effects on people with asthma or breathing problems. for the amount of people that has died from chinese medicine compared to western medicne it doesnt even come close. people die in hospitals to allergic reactions to all sorts of western medicine and call it a mystery death.

my kung fu style uses internal and external medicine for iron palm, i cannot vouch for other styles cause i havent done anyone elses iron palm training methods. any injuries must me healed from inside and out, external isnt always the answer you have to take sometimes dit dar yun-pills or drink internal dit dar. some iron palm medicine is used for fung sup- dampness of the bones(arthritis).

hope this helps.

;)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

phantom
01-24-2001, 10:43 PM
I really appreciate it, friend. Peace, long life, and prosperity