PDA

View Full Version : Pride DVD recommendations

brainpan
10-02-2001, 09:55 PM
I wanted to check out some Pride dvds and found some at Sherdog.com, but I was wondering which one would be good?

Ginsue recommended Pride Grand Prix...are there any others?

I also want to check out some of the Dog Brother's videos but I'm unsure which one to get.

Any help would be appreciated.

<hr >
<font size=2 type="helvetica" color="blue">Hong Kong Phooey is a #1 superguy! </font>

ShaolinTiger00
10-02-2001, 10:17 PM
Pride 10

Vitor Belfort vs Daijiro Matsui
Vanderlei Silva vs Guy Mezger
Ricco Rodriguez vs Giant Ochiai
Gilbert Yvel vs Gary Goodridge
Mark Kerr vs Igor Borisov
Igor Vovchanchin vs Enson Inoue
Masaake Satake vs Murakami Kazunari (not included on this DVD)
Kazuyuki Fujita vs Ken Shamrock
Ryan Gracie vs T. Ishizawa
Kazushi Sakuraba vs Renzo Gracie

Spark
10-02-2001, 10:18 PM
Where do I know that phrase, "hong kong phooey #1 super guy"!?!?!?!?!?

Help me out!

DragonzRage
10-03-2001, 12:57 AM
You don't have to limit yourself to the available Pride DVDs. You can go on ebay and probably be able to get tapes of great MMA tapes and Pride events that haven't even been released yet! You can also go to the UFC homepage and order some great UFC tapes as well. The only reason I'm telling you this is because, IMO, most of the Prides released on DVD/VHS aren't really all that great. The GP Final is pretty decent and Pride 10 is stellar...but other than that you can do better. If you go on ebay, try to find someone who has a copy of Pride 13 (a great event with exciting fights and the new rule allowing kneeing and kicking a downed opponent's head, which you will see is Sakuraba's demise). If you go to the UFC site, the UFC Hits I and II are awesome...with some of the greatest fights and highlights in UFC history. I also highly recommend UFC 31, which IMO is so far the finest hour for the Zuffa UFCs. It includes epic title matches of Newton vs Miletich and Couture vs Rizzo and other great fights.

I recently went on ebay and ordered a compilation tape of Vanderlei Silva fights which some guy put together on his own. This isn't even an official tape or anything, but it was great. Had some of the older, rare Vale Tudo fights that lauched Silva's career (and boy, does he tear some up!). So anyway, there's a lot of options for you if you want to see the best of MMA. But if you want to stick with the Pride DVDs, definitely go with Pride 10. Or if you want to see a tournament and witness how Royce took a 90 minute beating, get the Grand Prix Finals.

Food for thought..

Jaguar Wong
10-03-2001, 01:17 AM
spark,
that's from the theme song for... of course ... Hong Kong Phooey.

Jaguar Wong

brainpan
10-03-2001, 01:20 AM
Great suggestions DragonsRage!

I didn't even think about going on ebay.

I wasn't that into UFC since it seemed to go downhill (the last one I saw was called Young Guns or something)

I will again check it out, but since my local video store has the UFC tapes I can just rent them. The reason I asked about Pride was that people have been talking about them and I wanted to check them out. I've never seen any of them for rent so I wanted to know which ones were good before I bought them.

Any other MMA events worth checking out? I've seen Extreme Fighting (or is that Extreme Combat)...didn't like it too much.

<hr >
<font size=2 type="helvetica" color="blue">Hong Kong Phooey is a #1 superguy! </font>