PDA

View Full Version : The dao of nature

8stepsifu
01-14-2001, 08:14 AM
In the Book Of Wen Tzu chapter 142 3rd paragraph...."To imitate the four seasons means to grow in spring, develop in summer, harvest in autumn and store in winter, giving and taking in moderation, dispensing and collecting with measure."

This is what I came up with.
1. Boost physical fitness in spring
2. Refine your techniques in summer
3. Teach/fight in autumn
4. qi kung and learning technique in winter

Does anyone regulate their training in accordance with nature? Any other thoughts on this?

If your not bleeding, your not having enough fun.

Robinf
01-14-2001, 03:57 PM
Actually, I agree with this philosophy and follow it as much as I can (but seminars run when seminars run).

In the spring, the days are longer, but not too long, and it's warmer, but not to warm, so it's optimal to learn new things and make gains in physical fitness.

In the summer, it's too hot, and the muscles get warmed up very quickly and run the risk of getting overheated. Flexibility and fine motor skills are at the ready and can really be worked on during these months.

In the fall, as the earth cools off, so does the body from the summer. Great for sparring. The friendly competition we go to every year is held in the fall for partially this reason.

In the winter, it's harder to get warmed up and to stay warm, so to maintain what you've gained is reasonable. To make new strides takes more effort, and sometimes isn't probable.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

nowhesings
01-14-2001, 04:02 PM
That's actually a good idea! I don't know where you're from, but in Sweden (where I live) there's a big difference in season. And for me this'd be it:

Spring is the booster
Summer I fight and spar and have fun
Autumn+Winter is for refining techniques and more internal.

I do however find that in a warm summer day, when training outside in the forest perhaps, the training'd sometimes be very internal, sort of like praying. And in the winter I sometimes need the energy-kick of a good sparring!

HuangKaiVun
01-26-2001, 05:13 AM
Being a Chinese guy, the first thing I did when reading that quote was read it "metaphorically".

Any of the "seasons" can be applied at any given point in one's training regardless of the weather.

joedoe
02-08-2001, 02:08 PM
In our style, we tend to focus on flexibility in Summer, and conditioning in Winter.

This is a wide generalisation though.

Fu Manchu
02-08-2001, 03:26 PM
I'll be honoured to train with you when you visit my Chi Realignment Clinic in New Orleans.

We have a courtyard overlooking the natural wetlands where there is room for form training and sparring.

We get quite alot of overseas visitors as well as studnets from the local dojo. However, I've been on the road for most of last year giving seminars on natural health, stress management in the work place and improving one's self esteem.

Look forward to meeting you someday.

joedoe
02-10-2001, 11:58 AM
I was in the US just over the Christmas break - down in Memphis for a day or so too.

Wish I'd known before 8-(.

Fu Manchu
02-14-2001, 05:00 PM
I train mostly in gentle art of Tai Chi. The new students begin their training because they want to learn to fight. But after a few meditation and relaxation classes they lose all desire for aggression.

Other students prefer my herbal brew which helps clear the mind and see things in a new perspective. But against my advice, some students are taking far too much for their own good.

The greatest harmony in Kung fu is embodied in the famous Shaolin Monks. Even as the their temple was burned to the ground they remained so at peace with the world that they offered no resistance to the soldiers and did not bother to escape. Instead, the remained in passive meditation till they were consumed by the fire.