PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good Kung fu teacher / Sifu

md1
06-29-2011, 11:50 AM
With all this talk lately about mma , tcma and whether you have spent time in the ring using moves at full force against resisting opponents is it important or necessary to have fought in the ring to be a good teacher?

I myself have had my share of encounters and fights through the years… some I didn’t fair to well and others came out better for me. I have fought a little in tournaments but a lot of that was B.S. and never in the ring and don’t have any of that on tape (who could afford a video camera back then). At 50 being in the ring is something for my dreams only but I still try to spar at least once a week, although with a new hip it has become very controlled with the kicks and sweeps.

At the end of the day I try to keep everything as real as possible with the students… the ones that want to fight, they can but I also don’t push the ones to fight that don’t want too.

Love doing and living my kung fu and love the mma for keeping it real

David Jamieson
06-29-2011, 11:57 AM
A decent teacher will:

- encourage you to take ownership of what you are learning

- will not treat anyone as more special than anyone else - the class helps each other.

- is patient and won't repeat an erroneous lesson and instead will find a different way for you to learn.

- understands alternate learning styles

- fully understands the subject matter and is well trained in it him/her self.

JamesC
06-29-2011, 12:00 PM
- Encourage you to cross train
- Admit that he/she doesn't have all the answers

Snipsky
06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
A decent teacher will:

- encourage you to take ownership of what you are learning

- will not treat anyone as more special than anyone else - the class helps each other.

- is patient and won't repeat an erroneous lesson and instead will find a different way for you to learn.

- understands alternate learning styles

- fully understands the subject matter and is well trained in it him/her self.

I agree with the above but will add that i believe whether its the ring or the street, having used their gung fu in real life situations (not just studio stuff) prior to teaching is important.

JamesC
06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
By cross train, I don't necessarily mean take up another art.

More like have experience at least sparring/rolling with people from other arts.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Martial Arts is about learning through self-discovery and although I had some great teachers, my accomplishments were of my own doing. The point being, a good teacher is essential but the student is the one who must sacrifice the time, effort, and work ethic outside of class to become great.

donjitsu2
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
By cross train, I don't necessarily mean take up another art.

More like have experience at least sparring/rolling with people from other arts.

This is incredibly important.

The more people, from different backgrounds, you can work with (in terms of sparring/rolling) the more chances you get to identify the "holes" in your own abilities.

JamesC
06-29-2011, 12:40 PM
This is incredibly important.

The more people, from different backgrounds, you can work with (in terms of sparring/rolling) the more chances you get to identify the "holes" in your own abilities.

And, on a related note to another thread, you'll most likely gain a lot of respect for other arts and the people that train in them. Sure helps to reduce all the martial art elitism.

Lucas
06-29-2011, 12:48 PM
knowing how to teach is very important imo. i think sometimes we find people teaching who dont know the art of teaching in itself. which can severly diminish your students ability to absorb what you are trying to transmit.

the best teachers are...well...teachers. this is different than coaching.

SPJ
06-29-2011, 01:04 PM
a teacher only guides/leads you thru the door

it is the student that will make most of the work for himself.

si fu lin jin men

xiu xing zhai ge ren.

a good teacher gives advices according to progression of each student individually.

--

at critical moment, a good pointer means night and day

--

:)

TenTigers
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
the signs of a really good Sifu"
1. long hair
2. plays guitar
3. rides a Harley
4. an incredible lover
5. humility

SPJ
06-29-2011, 01:13 PM
1. long hair
2. plays guitar
3. rides a Harley
4. an incredible lover
5. humility

second that

A + 1

:cool:

ginosifu
06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
1. long hair
2. plays guitar
3. rides a Harley
4. an incredible lover
5. humility

Hmmmm, I used to know a good Sifu like that out in New York somewhwere?

ginosifu

SPJ
06-29-2011, 01:38 PM
1. growing long hairs and keep them tidy

requires daily work, you mess up your hairs when you sleep

you have to comb every morning, this means the person is diligent and takes good care of himself.

2. play guitars, he knows music, he may express his emotions via music, he is smart or wise and emotionally calm--

3. ride harley or ride a horse, good at balance, power and speed--

4, a good lover, --- lots of love and compassion

5, humility, humble is very hard to do or not easy to keep

if you may learn these 5 things

you are a very good person already, you win already

or you avoid/solve a lot of preconditions that people fight.

remember fighting is a means and not an end.

---

wenshu
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
1. long hair
2. plays guitar
3. rides a Harley
4. an incredible lover
5. humility

1. growing long hairs and keep them tidy

requires daily work, you mess up your hairs when you sleep

you have to comb every morning, this means the person is diligent and takes good care of himself.

2. play guitars, he knows music, he may express his emotions via music, he is smart or wise and emotionally calm--

3. ride harley or ride a horse, good at balance, power and speed--

4, a good lover, --- lots of love and compassion

5, humility, humble is very hard to do or not easy to keep

if you may learn these 5 things

you are a very good person already, you win already

or you avoid/solve a lot of preconditions that people fight.

remember fighting is a means and not an end.

---

Nice eharmony profile.

Lucas
06-29-2011, 02:25 PM
i am being funny here ( or attempting to ) this in no way is to describe ten tigers...at least not all of it!! :D

1. long hair because he is into heavy metal and hard core death metal, its wild and out of control.

2. plays guitar because he is into heavy metal and hard core death metal, and it gets chicks.

3. rides a Harley because he is in a bad ass biker gang, and it gets chicks.

4. he is an incredible lover because he is a womanizer and sleeps with many women in one night stands, honing his sex skeelz.

5. humility comes into being after you lay down your first couple of Harleys and get into several biker brawls.

:D

donjitsu2
06-29-2011, 03:02 PM
1. long hair
2. plays guitar
3. rides a Harley
4. an incredible lover
5. humility

Crap.

My sifu is:

1. Bald
2. Plays the Kazoo
3. Rides a moped
4. Is a horrible lover (according to his ex-wife)
and
5. Is the biggest braggart I know.

I'm fukked.

(J/K btw, just in case Chuck finds this somehow :D)

TenTigers
06-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Crap.

My sifu is:

1. Bald
2. Plays the Kazoo
3. Rides a moped
4. Is a horrible lover (according to his ex-wife)
and
5. Is the biggest braggart I know.

I'm fukked
I think I saw him at the last tournament...

bawang
06-29-2011, 03:55 PM
this is a good teacher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsixfMLMUM&feature=related

JamesC
06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
this is a good teacher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUsixfMLMUM&feature=related

I agree with you on this one Bawang. If i'm training for a fight, he's exactly the type of coach I would want to have.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
1. long hair
2. plays guitar
3. rides a Harley
4. an incredible lover
5. humility

I guess 3 out of 5 aint bad!!:p

md1
06-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTigers
1. long hair
2. plays guitar
3. rides a Harley
4. an incredible lover
5. humility

That's some funny S*** lol

well i don't have long hair and i'm working on gettin the Harley...
Does air guitar count!? hahaha

bawang
06-30-2011, 07:01 AM
this is a good teacher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jICvEEqOtEg

HumbleWCGuy
06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I like working with people who have legitimately trained the material on a high level. Guys who have never truly been in shape or fought any full-contact whether that be in the ring or good sparing in the school aren't of much value. It usually goes back to having a full understanding. Guys who lack hard training often aren't fully aware of what the body is fully capable of and the particulars of techniques. People who lack those experiences usually end up hurting themselves in full-contact settings, forget about the opponents.

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
I like working with people who have legitimately trained the material on a high level. Guys who have never truly been in shape or fought any full-contact whether that be in the ring or good sparing in the school aren't of much value. It usually goes back to having a full understanding. Guys who lack hard training often aren't fully aware of what the body is fully capable of and the particulars of techniques. People who lack those experiences usually end up hurting themselves in full-contact settings, forget about the opponents.

wrong. sorry man, I can name a few top notch boxing coaches who never boxed themselves.

this idea is in essence and in truth incorrect.

how to train someone can be garnered from experience yes, but it is so much more than simply having done something and now you can teach.

guys like that are found here and there, but it's not true and the results can show that.

Angelo Dundee for instance, I love this example. Why? He started as a corner man and has since gone on to train 16 yes SIXTEEN WORLD CHAMPIONS.

That's one guy! Who didn't fight himself but obviously thoroughly understands the sweet science better than pretty much all and any boxer who is in there mixing it up.

Train with someone who can make you great. Not someone who might have been great themselves, unless of course they have trained champions I suppose, in which case....

...anyone like that measure up to little old Angelo?

Lucas
06-30-2011, 10:32 AM
rocky balboa!!!...oh wait...mike tyson...oh wait...george forman!!...oh wait..um gimme a few

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
rocky balboa!!!...oh wait...mike tyson...oh wait...george forman!!...oh wait..um gimme a few

1. is fictitious

2. never trained anyone

3. sells slanted grills

Lucas
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
so wait you're trying to tell me that rocky balboa is fake? i saw his documentary and he had a robot. totally real. he fought mr t

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 10:48 AM
so wait you're trying to tell me that rocky balboa is fake? i saw his documentary and he had a robot. totally real. he fought mr t

yeah, well Mr.Coffee pities that fool!

HumbleWCGuy
06-30-2011, 10:49 AM
wrong. sorry man, I can name a few top notch boxing coaches who never boxed themselves.

The exception and not the rule. Boxing is pretty simple compared to Kung fu or other martial arts as well. Also, Dundee could just be more of a gym manager, talent evaluator, and cut man rather than a boxing technician. Back when Dundee was starting out there was a lot of money to be made in running a "boxing camp." He could always bring in guys with technical knowledge of fighting, conditioning, and so on to fill in the gaps. The idea that he personally overseen every mitt and conditioning session for all of these champions just isn't the case. There are camps like that today.

I have heard the same thing about Master Toddy out in Vegas. He is a decent MT coach but his biggest strength is that he makes sure that he brings in the best trainers that he can. Hence all his champions.

pateticorecords
06-30-2011, 10:49 AM
one that doesn't shun you when you surpass his skills:D

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 10:52 AM
one that doesn't shun you when you surpass his skills:D

EXACTLY!

That is what ownership is about.

@Humble WC guy - he's (Angelo Dundee) not the exception and is in fact closer to the rule when it comes to good trainers.

A great deal of pro athletes in all disciplines are coached and trained by people who do not compete in those disciplines. It doesn't mean they are incapable of understanding or helping an athlete to progress.

To think that direct experience is the best teacher is true, but that applies to YOU only.

Your teacher could be an ace fighter but a crappy teacher, a crappy communicator and have no idea of how to be a good pedagogue.

But, maybe that's a mistake you need to make? I dunno, it's your life. :)

Iron_Eagle_76
06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Boxing is pretty simple compared to Kung fu or other martial arts as well.

I find this statement humoring. Boxing is simple in it's approach, this much I agree with. You have four main strikes, jab, cross, hook, uppercut and some variations of these techniques. However, to gain the necessary skill to fight at a high level takes years of hard training, conditioning, and experience.

Don't try and disparage boxing because you think it is simple, it is far from it.

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I find this statement humoring. Boxing is simple in it's approach, this much I agree with. You have four main strikes, jab, cross, hook, uppercut and some variations of these techniques. However, to gain the necessary skill to fight at a high level takes years of hard training, conditioning, and experience.

Don't try and disparage boxing because you think it is simple, it is far from it.

I love boxing at least as much as Kung Fu.

It truly has "the hands" and any Kung Fu person can benefit tremendously from boxing and vice versa.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I love boxing at least as much as Kung Fu.

It truly has "the hands" and any Kung Fu person can benefit tremendously from boxing and vice versa.

Agreed. My Kung Fu improved leaps and bounds after my stint in boxing, and of all arts I have trained in other than Kung Fu, boxing was my favorite and improved my overall game the most.

pateticorecords
06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Agreed. My Kung Fu improved leaps and bounds after my stint in boxing, and of all arts I have trained in other than Kung Fu, boxing was my favorite and improved my overall game the most.

totally in agreement here... :)

HumbleWCGuy
06-30-2011, 11:11 AM

How is the statement of such a brut fact a disparagement? The simple point being if a non-practitioner where to teach an art. Boxing would probably have to be it.

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 11:20 AM
How is the statement of such a brut fact a disparagement? The simple point being if a non-practitioner where to teach an art. Boxing would probably have to be it.

I don't agree with this.
Mainly because of some historical perspective.
Our natural way of interacting with each other in a physical conflict is to wrestle.
It's how we are built.
Striking is almost completely nurtured, especially technical striking.
Not saying there isn't technical wrestling, because there is, but it's more natural to wrestle than to box.

Power, speed, conditioning, will to fight, everything required to fight with just your hands is offered and gotten through the art of boxing. You just have to want to do it. Same with Kung Fu, or even mma or fencing or creative anachronism classical weapons fight clubs with armor and all. All physical disciplines are not readily acquired by anyone.

Everything takes time and effort. Even naturals will benefit from structured training within a given discipline. There are many disciplines. With Kung Fu, there are so many that it is said it would take 3 lifetimes to learn all that was available there (Shaolin).

Iron_Eagle_76
06-30-2011, 11:22 AM

The problem is you see this all the time. I see idiots all the time who think they can box and play around with their friends and think they are good, that is, until they spar against someone who has actually boxed and trained in a good boxing gym.

There are tons of douchenozzles out there who think they know how to fight, think they know how to box, and think they know a martial art. But without real hands on training from a good coach or teacher, they never learn correct methods, drills, and conditioning to be good at the art.

HumbleWCGuy
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
The problem is you see this all the time. I see idiots all the time who think they can box and play around with their friends and think they are good, that is, until they spar against someone who has actually boxed and trained in a good boxing gym.

There are tons of douchenozzles out there who think they know how to fight, think they know how to box, and think they know a martial art. But without real hands on training from a good coach or teacher, they never learn correct methods, drills, and conditioning to be good at the art.

I see. I have trained with some decent amateur boxers. I have to say that I was a little bit embarrassed early on. I stuck with it and trained it on their terms. It improved my game tremendously.

Edit: there is something to be said for mastery that a boxer has with his hands and the accompanying body motions.

HumbleWCGuy
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't agree with this.
Mainly because of some historical perspective.
Our natural way of interacting with each other in a physical conflict is to wrestle.
It's how we are built.
Striking is almost completely nurtured, especially technical striking.
Not saying there isn't technical wrestling, because there is, but it's more natural to wrestle than to box.

Power, speed, conditioning, will to fight, everything required to fight with just your hands is offered and gotten through the art of boxing. You just have to want to do it. Same with Kung Fu, or even mma or fencing or creative anachronism classical weapons fight clubs with armor and all. All physical disciplines are not readily acquired by anyone.

Everything takes time and effort. Even naturals will benefit from structured training within a given discipline. There are many disciplines. With Kung Fu, there are so many that it is said it would take 3 lifetimes to learn all that was available there (Shaolin).

I don't see how this makes the point that boxing is not simplistic compared to other arts. Boxing had roughly 16 techniques and other arts have hundreds.

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't see how this makes the point that boxing is not simplistic compared to other arts. Boxing had roughly 16 techniques and other arts have hundreds.

Others may have hundreds it is true, but often they are mere reiterative variations.
Take the time to sit down and count the techniques in your style.

Not the training methods, the actual techniques.

You will find that you can narrow it down.
Because each form you do is progressive into the next and each
lesson is progressive to the next.

The totality of the style has nothing to do with how long it takes a person to learn it.
Any discipline requires time and effort. A good boxer and a good kung fu player should develop at the same rate at a personal interest level like most are.

So, train hard, train smart. :)

md1
06-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I think what I have seen most times over the years whether it's in the arts or boxing or even sports in general, the guys who excel in teaching or coaching are the ones that didn't really excel in that sport but have a way of communicating and getting the most out of there people. It is rare to see someone who is a great teacher or coach that was great at chosen game.
I'm sure there might be a few but At least i can't remember any off hand.

HumbleWCGuy
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I think what I have seen most times over the years whether it's in the arts or boxing or even sports in general, the guys who excel in teaching or coaching are the ones that didn't really excel in that sport but have a way of communicating and getting the most out of there people. It is rare to see someone who is a great teacher or coach that was great at chosen game.

I agree. I think a lot of times it's the people who didn't have the athleticism to be the "champ," but had the smarts to get everything out of themselves end up being good coaches. Assuming that the communication is there.

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 12:02 PM

As time goes forward we'll see more of it because of the expectation for it.

These days pro fighters are coaching others to become fighters.
It's becoming common place and will likely grow to be more so.

Northwind
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
As time goes forward we'll see more of it because of the expectation for it.

These days pro fighters are coaching others to become fighters.
It's becoming common place and will likely grow to be more so.

Agreed.
Unhappy about it, but agreed.

faxiapreta
06-30-2011, 01:13 PM

16 techniques? You must be kidding

Boxing has hundreds, if not thousands of techniques.

In addition to all the punches and their variations, you have all the different types of footwork, head movement, body angulation, methods to absorb punches, clinch techniques, entry techniques, etc, etc, etc.

faxiapreta
06-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Most successful coaches competed in the sport sometime in their lives.

The majority of successful coaches weren't at the top in terms of competition. That's because, while one needs actual experience in the arena, coaching and competing are two different skill sets.

JamesC
06-30-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE7pQHJkMvY&feature=related

Lee Chiang Po
06-30-2011, 07:25 PM
In any fighting system there has to be lots of understanding when it comes to what you are doing and learning. This has to come one step at a time, and the steps must be in the perfect order to be taught effectively. I have a friend that went to a MMA gym and start learning BJJ. The very first day he was on the floor rolling around getting his neck wrung. He was taught a few arm bars and the likes, but then tossed into the matt to roll. This is poor teaching at the very best as he was not taught to take a fall, or even how to move into an entry. He still don't know how to take a fall, and he can only use a few arm locks or bars. He has been doing it now for close to 2 years. When I was learning JJJ I spent a long time just learning to take a hard fall. I would spend endless hours at home in my back yard slamming myself into the ground in order to practice breakfalls.
This all goes for any system you train. You have to know just how and what order you need to teach it in order to actually teach it. I find that most people today, in their exuberance, tend to put the cart in front of the horse so to speak, and when we do this, we fail to teach.
When I started training gung fu, I had to learn and practice each and every hand technique over and over and over again until I had a full understanding of it. It was not until I had them all pretty much down that I was then taught to put them into a form. Not a real fight form, but simply a form in which I could train them all, both left and right.
Unless you seek out other martial artists or hand out in gyms or kwoons, you are not going to regularly come up against trained martial artists. In most kwoons you will see most everyone training the same system of fighting. It is difficult to fight another person of the same system and same level of skill. And training against other systems is not a real necessity unless you intend to be a famous ring figher or some such. Most people you come against will attempt to fight you with a somewhat boxing style, or some type of karate that they learned in their youth. Usually not at a really serious level. If you have your system down well you should fare well if you do not take them for granted or underestimate them. Boxing is a system by which the larger and stronger you are, the better you will be at whipping others with it. This is usually the case with most systems.

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 07:39 PM
paragraphs are your friend!'

Snipsky
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
lmao...........

David Jamieson
06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
a good teacher will have you being a good teacher as well. that's another thing.

Lucas
06-30-2011, 08:03 PM
I like to be clear that I do not want to be a teacher. I want to spend all my time learning to fight, I don't want to spend time learning in a manner that will have me teaching. I have helped to teach, and i know methods by which to teach that have some universal cross over, but i will never want to be a sifu. I like to share and train with others but beginners bother me, i don't train full time, so i want to be selfish and train for me. When asked to teach or coach i will, but it will never be my goal. But i do agree with u DJ.

Iron_Eagle_76
07-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Patience, good training methods, and discipline go a long way into teaching anyone. Also, the student, not the teacher, will ultimately be the one who makes themself a good martial artist. Sure, there are bad teachers, but the best teacher in the world cannont make a lazy student better.

If you as a student are not willing to work hard, sweat, and bleed than you are wasting your time.

bawang
07-01-2011, 05:32 AM
if a teacher beat me like im his own son, then he is a good sifu.

David Jamieson
07-01-2011, 07:07 AM

I have no idea why you equate abuse and demoralization as good teaching models. lol
That's not an avenue to learning anything but how to be a slave.

useless. :)

SPJ
07-01-2011, 07:39 AM

yes. if he also loves you as his own kid---

not necessarily physically beating

but ask or demand more from you

train you harder

make you work harder so as to advance more

--

etc etc

Lucas
07-01-2011, 08:19 AM
i think if someone has many students and beats them, they are either treating them like soldier, or they like to beat them. if someone has few students and beats them, it is because he cares. :D

David Jamieson
07-01-2011, 08:26 AM
i think if someone has many students and beats them, they are either treating them like soldier, or they like to beat them. if someone has few students and beats them, it is because he cares. :D

Soldiers aren't beaten.

...they are made to beat themselves. :D

SPJ
07-01-2011, 08:48 AM
as a form of "punishment"

actually

there are many other options other than beating

1. standing in low horse stance for 30 min

2. wipe or mob the floor of a dojo or dojang or dao chang.

3. standing on your hands

4. 100 pushups

5. running around dojo 25 times

6. face the wall and think about your mistakes

---

or just leave the school for the day

--

a ticket, a warning,

---

buying the whole class ice creams

--

:D

bawang
07-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I have no idea why you equate abuse and demoralization as good teaching models.

make them learn mercy is for the weak

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE
--------------------------------
this is good encouraging song to play during class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gSJW3sHXE

HumbleWCGuy
07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
16 techniques? You must be kidding

Boxing has hundreds, if not thousands of techniques.

In addition to all the punches and their variations, you have all the different types of footwork, head movement, body angulation, methods to absorb punches, clinch techniques, entry techniques, etc, etc, etc.

Boxing has about 16 hand techniques (blocks and punches) depending on who you talk to. If you throw in footwork, you can only step in about 8 directions. Add to footwork steps for each direction and say for circling options. Add slip, bob, weave, duck, and slip and a few random clinch techniques and you are barley cracking fifty. Boxing is simple. The trick as with any martial art is learning to apply the basics in a meaningful way. How many techniques does TCMA have comparatively at least double as the most ridiculously conservative estimate, but realistically at least 2 to 4 times as much.

faxiapreta
07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Boxing has about 16 hand techniques (blocks and punches) depending on who you talk to. If you throw in footwork, you can only step in about 8 directions. Add to footwork steps for each direction and say for circling options. Add slip, bob, weave, duck, and slip and a few random clinch techniques and you are barley cracking fifty. Boxing is simple. The trick as with any martial art is learning to apply the basics in a meaningful way. How many techniques does TCMA have comparatively at least double as the most ridiculously conservative estimate, but realistically at least 2 to 4 times as much.

Box competitively for 15 years or so. Then come back. You'll have a lot more than just the "simple" techniques you have listed above.

Northwind
07-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Box competitively for 15 years or so. Then come back. You'll have a lot more than just the "simple" techniques you have listed above.

Any back-flips or chi blasts? :P
On a serious note, the xingyiquan instructor in our organization use to be a boxer for quite a while and did well for his division. So he brings some extremely interesting and useful things to the table! :)

Lee Chiang Po
07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
paragraphs are your friend!'

I was thinking I had it all paragraphed real good, but when I hit the submit button it all jammed together into one great big one. It is this puter of mine. I think I need a new one. Or at least learn this one so as not to let it do that. Besides, it took me a long time just to learn to sipher well enough to do this.

bawang
07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
The earliest conception of boxing-that it consisted of a system of tricks-is not dead yet in some quarters. I find that nearly every pupil who comes to me for first lessons is so impressed. The notion dies hard. A few months since the boxing master of one of the leading athletic clubs received a letter from the secretary of a country club asking him if he knew of a teacher who knew a hundred points whom he could recommend; "for," said the writer, "we have one who teaches sixty points, but should prefer one with more extended knowledge."

by Professor A. Austin
Outing magazine, February, 1891, No. 17, p. 447-452

Northwind
07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Don't call my bluff, Bawang! ;)

HumbleWCGuy
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM

You are just trying to count any little variation. If my count is so off then please elaborate. Either way, you want to count boxing is simple compared to a standard martial arts because boxing only has to take into account the contrived situation of the ring.

SPJ
07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
a good teacher is also a good student

1. he listens to his students and welcomes suggestions with an open mind.

2. he also learns things new

3. he also improves him self

---

donjitsu2
07-02-2011, 06:05 AM
You are just trying to count any little variation. If my count is so off then please elaborate. Either way, you want to count boxing is simple compared to a standard martial arts because boxing only has to take into account the contrived situation of the ring.

Simpler is better:

Hick's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hick's_law).

Fewer choices = Quicker response time.

Though I do agree that Boxing is a bit one dimensional when compared to other ring sports like K1, Muay Thai, San Shou, ect...

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Whew boy. Here we go again.

Jumping around in your pretend situations where you pretend to defend yourself on the street is way more contrived than boxing in the ring will ever be.

SPJ
07-02-2011, 06:35 AM
a good teacher is the one that knows when and where to leave you alone

and also knows when and where to give you an advice

or a nudge in the right direction

--

I missed my Kung fu teachers.

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Whew boy. Here we go again.

Jumping around in your pretend situations where you pretend to defend yourself on the street is way more contrived than boxing in the ring will ever be.

Bwhaaaaaahahahahaha, since you are obviously a pretend martial artist I will explain it. With real martial arts people strive to train everything in real time and hard. We will have matches where we allow hair pulling, groin, kicks, weapons, all done in real time. With enough equipment people even practice throat hits and eye gouges in real time and against resisting opponents. Have you every trained biting in a bjj environment? I doubt it. How many boxing gyms show you how to stop a knife attack?

Hard training can and often does go beyond the ring. Now having said that, there is something to be said for fighting in the ring. The process of getting into peak-shape and fighting a fighter unknown to you and so on is a huge deal. Likely, I have more ring experience than you do.

Now, why don't you start counting off those thousands of boxing techniques so that we can get a good laugh?

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Bwhaaaaaahahahahaha, since you are obviously a pretend martial artist I will explain it. With real martial arts people strive to train everything in real time and hard. We will have matches where we allow hair pulling, groin, kicks, weapons, all done in real time.

You should post a clip of those matches. It would be informative.

Have you every trained biting in a bjj environment?

Like most other things related to ground fighting, positional dominance determines the effectiveness of biting.

Likely, I have more ring experience than you do.

More than likely you don't.

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 07:21 AM
You should post a clip of those matches. It would be informative.

Like most other things related to ground fighting, positional dominance determines the effectiveness of biting.

More than likely you don't.

Sounds to me like you are a LARPER. Why don't you post some clips to show us how it is done. I bet that you will get on it after you list 1000 boxing techniques. I would like to see you using your gauntlet of Ogre strength (level 10) on someone. Judging by how much you lay on this board. Not much training is getting done your way.

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Sounds to me like you are a LARPER. Why don't you post some clips to show us how it is done. I bet that you will get on it after you list 1000 boxing techniques. I would like to see you using your gauntlet of Ogre strength (level 10) on someone. Judging by how much you lay on this board. Not much training is getting done your way.

You are right. I'm a LARPer and don't train.

You, on the other hand claim to be doing full contact, everything goes training regularly.

You are the one making the claims. It should be an easy thing to posts the clips of you training the way you say you do.

Please post them. That will shut me up.

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 07:28 AM
You are right. I'm a LARPer and don't train.

You, on the other hand claim to be doing full contact, everything goes training regularly.

You are the one making the claims. It should be an easy thing to posts the clips of you training the way you say you do.

Please post them. That will shut me up.

You claimed that boxing has 1000's of techniques. Why don't you post a list? You claim to have extensive competition experience. Direct me to your Sherdog page because you clearly aren't old/experienced enough to claim that you did undocumented fights.

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 07:31 AM
You claimed that boxing has 1000's of techniques. Why don't you post a list? You claim to have extensive competition experience. Direct me to your Sherdog page because you clearly aren't old/experienced enough to claim that you did undocumented fights.

I didn't say I had extensive competition experience. I said you probably didn't have more ring experience than I did. Please direct me to YOUR Sherdog page to prove otherwise.

As far as the boxing techniques, if I look into that, will you post the clips of your NHB sparring?

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 07:41 AM
I didn't say I had extensive competition experience. I said you probably didn't have more ring experience than I did. Please direct me to YOUR Sherdog page to prove otherwise.

As far as the boxing techniques, if I look into that, will you post the clips of your NHB sparring?

Don't change your story dude. You claim to be some kind of bad a$$ know it all on here. Pony up or shut up. You claimed that I needed to box competitively for 15 years to know what you know about it. The implication being that you boxed competitively for 15 years. Sounds to me like you had some intermediate mma player show you a couple things and now you are on this board claiming to be some kind of mma bad a$$.

You can convince me by at least acting like you know what you are talking about, and I don't even see that. You say that there are 1000's of boxing techniques. Well, list them. Oh wait... you can't because you are clueless. In your fantasy estimation of what boxing is, it seemed like there where 1000's, but when you spoke with someone who knew and thought about it, you realized that you don't have a clue. The problem with guys like you is that you don't even need to post a video because your B.S. rings so hollow that no one buys that you have anything to offer on any level.

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 07:42 AM

****Sound of crickets chirping in the background***

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 07:46 AM
As far as the boxing techniques, if I look into that

You have to look into it? LOL. You are nothing but a novice. I am done wasting my time with you. If you want to see people train, get a membership to a gym because you need a lot of help.

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Don't change your story dude. You claim to be some kind of bad a$$ know it all on here. Pony up or shut up. You claimed that I needed to box competitively for 15 years to know what you know about it.

I didn't claim to box for 15 years. I said go and box for 15 years then come back and talk about all the techniques you will learn over those 15 years.

You can convince me by at least acting like you know what you are talking about, and I don't even see that. You say that there are 1000's of boxing techniques. Well, list them. Oh wait... you can't because you are clueless. In your fantasy estimation of what boxing is, it seemed like there where 1000's, but when you spoke with someone who knew and thought about it. You realized that you don't have a clue. The problem with guys like you is that you don't even need to post a video because your B.S. rings so hollow that no one buys that you have anything to offer on any level.

As I said, I will start to categorize those techniques. Obviously, it's going to take a while to put them together.

In the meantime, you are claiming to do regular NHB type full contact training. If you really do this it would be simple to post the vid and prove that you do.

Meanwhile, it looks like you are simply the LARPer that you claim me to be.

Snipsky
07-02-2011, 07:50 AM
You have to look into it? LOL. You are nothing but a novice.

LOL...my first reaction was "why does he have to look into it?".......LMAO.

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 07:50 AM
You have to look into it? LOL. You are nothing but a novice. I am done wasting my time with you. If you want to see people train, get a membership to a gym because you need a lot of help.

Bwahaahaahaaa!!! Here we go again.

As I thought. Another CMA pretender.

WE SPAR FULL CONTACT EVERYTHING GOES IN ALL SCENARIOS, BUT NOW THAT I AM PRESSED INTO SHOWING SOME EVIDENCE OF THIS, I'M "DONE WASTING MY TIME".

Bwaaaahhhaaaa! Same story, different CMA bullsh!t artist.

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 08:07 AM
LOL...my first reaction was "why does he have to look into it?".......LMAO.

He doesn't know what he is doing obviously as I am sure you already know.

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 08:09 AM
And CMA practitioners wonder why so many people laugh at their claims.

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 08:11 AM
He doesn't know what he is doing obviously as I am sure you already know.

OK, I'll tell ya what. You claimed boxing had 16 techniques, did you not? You list those techniques and I will add on to that list, which will be demonstration #1 that you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Then, demonstration #2 will be you making claims about your training and the tucking your tail between your legs and backpedaling when challenged to provide evidence of that claim.

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 08:18 AM
And CMA practitioners wonder why so many people laugh at their claims. It should be obvious by now when people like myself are completely clueless about both the arts we claim to practice and the CMA we criticize
You are absolutely correct. It must seem mystical and unbelievable to someone like yourself who has only trained at a college BJJ club or maybe you had a couple of bag sessions with a guy who worked with a guy who worked with a guy... You must die a little inside with each chuckle of insecurity.

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 08:22 AM
OK, I'll tell ya what. You claimed boxing had 16 techniques, did you not? You list those techniques and I will add on to that list, which will be demonstration #1 that you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Just list 1000 like you said. Then show me your competition page.

Snipsky
07-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Then, demonstration #2 will be you making claims about your training and the tucking your tail between your legs and backpedaling when challenged to provide evidence of that claim.

LMAO....not with you.

there are millions of TCMA practitioners......are there millions of MMA people? just asking....i don't really know.

SPJ
07-02-2011, 08:43 AM
a good teacher is like a carpenter or a mason

they know where to look for

a good student is like a good piece of wood or rock

a good student/wood/rock is hard to come by

so sometimes so many good teachers are all looking for just a few good students

--

so the question is always

are you good enough a student to be worthy of your teacher?

--

etc etc

faxiapreta
07-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Just list 1000 like you said. Then show me your competition page.

LOL... weren't you the one who brought up the experience? Oh, yeah, that WAS you.

Where's that competition record page again?

Bwahqaahaaaa!!

SPJ
07-02-2011, 08:57 AM
marines are looking for a few good men

so are many kung fu teachers

---

HumbleWCGuy
07-02-2011, 02:02 PM
LOL... weren't you the one who brought up the experience? Oh, yeah, that WAS you.

Where's that competition record page again?

Bwahqaahaaaa!!

I doubt that you could name 20 boxing hand techniques let alone one more than I could name. You had better sign up to a boxing forum to come up with a list of more than basic punches.