PDA

View Full Version : Dr. HaHa Lung??

LaterthanNever
07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
He's listed on google as a "well known martial arts master". Oh?

Well known by WHOM?

And how come there is no biographical info on him? What is he a "doctor" of?

I think that he's probably Ashida Kim in disguise..

donjitsu2
07-02-2011, 02:12 PM
They both have written books with very similar titles and about VERY similar subjects.

Other that I know nothing about him.

mooyingmantis
07-02-2011, 02:54 PM
He's listed on google as a "well known martial arts master". Oh?

Well known by WHOM?

And how come there is no biographical info on him? What is he a "doctor" of?

I think that he's probably Ashida Kim in disguise..

Here is what Ashida Kim has to say about Ha Ha Lung:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6a1BuEB38w&feature=related

cerebus
07-02-2011, 05:01 PM
LOL! Well... having glanced at some of "Haha Lung's" books on psychological warfare at a local bookstore, I will say: No, he's definitely NOT Ashida Kim. He's far more intelligent and his books (at least the two I looked at) seemed at least somewhat interesting (don't know anything about his other stuff).

Judging by his writing style and the traditions he references, and how he references them, I'd say he doesn't seem to be Asian. And hey, the word "lung" being "dragon" in Chinese, his name would seem to be an inside joke, possibly meaning "laughing dragon", or at least that's what I get from it.

doug maverick
07-02-2011, 09:57 PM
and your point being? does your post have to do with martial media and popular culture? i dont think so.

LaterthanNever
07-02-2011, 10:41 PM
doug maverick,

First..re-read the title of the forum "martial MEDIA and POPULAR culture". Last I checked..books are a form of written media. Second, he seems to enjoy some form of POPULARITY (notice the similarity of terms). Hence..I have every right to post about him..

Second..don't you have anything better to do? Either contribute or say nothing..

SimonM
07-03-2011, 06:10 AM
LaterthanNever, ultimately it will be Gene's decision if this post has gone off topic but, generally we use this thread to talk about Kung Fu Movies, Kung Fu Comics, Kung Fu TV Shows, Wuxia novels, music with some tenuous connection to martial arts, and save the sifu-bashing for the general forum. :)

Generally this sub forum has avoided flame wars though and I'm sure many of us would like to keep it this way so, enjoy your thread by all means, but if you are looking to stir up CONTROVERSY you may be better served elsewhere.

;)

doug maverick
07-03-2011, 11:26 AM
LaterthanNever, ultimately it will be Gene's decision if this post has gone off topic but, generally we use this thread to talk about Kung Fu Movies, Kung Fu Comics, Kung Fu TV Shows, Wuxia novels, music with some tenuous connection to martial arts, and save the sifu-bashing for the general forum. :)

Generally this sub forum has avoided flame wars though and I'm sure many of us would like to keep it this way so, enjoy your thread by all means, but if you are looking to stir up CONTROVERSY you may be better served elsewhere.

;)

what he said!! please take your negativity else where. unless you are critiquing his book which you are not, instead you are bashing the person.

LaterthanNever
07-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Simon M,

Go back and re-read my questions. They were in QUESTION format. Hence..it is by definition an INQUIRY. I asked what kind of doctor he was..there is certainly nothing wrong with that. I guess some could view my ending comment about HaHa Lung and Ashida Kim being the same person as "controversy"..but that was not my intention. And in the end , if you and Doug Maverick want to accuse me of being controversial in knee jerk fashion, that is up to you, but I have better things to do. When you state:

"Kung Fu Comics, Kung Fu TV Shows, Wuxia novels,.."

That's an interesting double standard you've got there. So..am I to understand that one can bring up a comic (which last I checked is a printed form of entertainment..just like a BOOK)..and a "wu xia" novel ..but if a book mentions another form of martial arts(ninjitsu)..that it's somehow off limits?

And if as you say that the forum is a place to discuss martial arts media..and then thereby list what is considered media..then..the answer is..YES..I AM WELL WITHIN the limits of this forum.

As for negativity..I'd suggest going back and reading Doug Mavericks response. Seems pretty negative to me.

GeneChing
07-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I hear what you are both saying, Simon & Doug. I have engaged a few of the books of Ha Ha Lung (his publishers were kind enough to send me review copies) and I actually believe that LaterthanNever is correct in posing his question here, as his work seems more entertainment oriented. I also think that having Ashida Kim dis your ninja book on youtube is quite a compliment. Now I kind of wish he would do the same with my book (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1). :eek: Simon, Doug, if you check out Ha Ha's books, I think you'll understand why they fit here alongside kung fu comics. ;)

SimonM
07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
See, now I'm somewhat intrigued. :D

LaterthanNever
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
A-HAAA!!

"I also think that having Ashida Kim dis your ninja book on youtube is quite a compliment."

ah-ha!! And the truth shall set you free!!:cool:

So I see!!

Simon and Doug are in fact the infamous Dr. Ha-Ha Lung all along!! It seems they together.. co-share his moniker!! ;) :p

GeneChing
07-06-2011, 09:11 AM
That being said, I was thinking about this last night and decided the thread should be moved to ORA. All our ninja stuff is in ORA except NinjaStar (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58511), and we gotta keep those ninjas where we can see 'em, right?

Jimbo
07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Shouldn't it actually be Lung Ha-Ha?

Admittedly, all I know about Haha Lung are the books I've spotted and occasionally browsed here and there. It's obvious that Haha Lung is a horribly fake, "Asianoid"-sounding pen name created by a (most likey) Caucasian guy.

Then again, he (or they) could be someone with very real knowledge in spite of the nom-de-plume. I've read a couple of (non-MA) books written by people with equally odd pen names that seemed to contain at least some legit material in them.

GeneChing
07-06-2011, 03:05 PM
...and you'd expect a ninja to use a nom-de-plume, right?

LaterthanNever
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Gene,

You ARE?(proud that is). If so..interesting indeed. Your comment about "we need to keep the ninjas where we can see them" made me chuckle..thank you!

I guess what I don't get is..to digress to my original thread:

Alot of people who have some noteriety(both bad or good) in the martial arts(all MA..chinese, japanese, korean).

Some are famous: Bruce Lee, Morihei Usheba, GM Doc Fai Wong. Steven K. Hayes, Grandmaster Hee Il Cho,etc.

Some are infamous(or maybe just funny as hell): Sin Kwang The, Ashida Kim, Simon Olaf,etc.

And yet?

This HaHa Lung claims to be an actual person..yet noone knows who he is..or where he is!

Maybe he really IS a ninja :p

GeneChing
07-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Seriously. I know some people that are professional ninjas. They make their living at it. They are all very unique.

I also know plenty of ninjettes. :cool:

LaterthanNever
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Actually..

from what I remember it used to be just Steven Hayes and Dr. Massakki Hatsumi. Then Prof. Ronald Duncan claimed to have ignited ninjitsu in the USA. Which is odd..b/c I thought that Hayes was the one who really "broke the mold" and went to Japan to study it. Wasn't he the first non-Japanese to formally study it?

Then you have Richard Van Dunk(spelling?) and others..all of whom are claiming to be ninja grandmasters now!

It would be great to see what Steven Hayes thinks about these other folks.

How about an article Gene?

GeneChing
07-07-2011, 09:38 AM
I still have an autographed copy of his first book somewhere. I've not interacted with him since.

Our company has its own 'in house' ninja: Harunaka Hosino (http://www.martialartsmart.com/dvd-hh00.html). And we accept applications for new ninjettes before Halloween (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=922). ;)

jdhowland
07-15-2011, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=LaterthanNever;1112450]Actually..

from what I remember it used to be just Steven Hayes and Dr. Massakki Hatsumi. Then Prof. Ronald Duncan claimed to have ignited ninjitsu in the USA. Which is odd..b/c I thought that Hayes was the one who really "broke the mold" and went to Japan to study it. Wasn't he the first non-Japanese to formally study it?QUOTE]

My friend Quintin Chambers was studying under Hatsumi Sensei long before Hayes. He still teaches some of the bojutsu of Kukishin Ryu. In the '70s it bothered me that Hayes claimed to be the only American representative (although I give him some slack because Chambers may still have held UK citizenship at the time).

mooyingmantis
07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
IMO, Hayes' main trump card was that his wife was related to Hatsumi. Hayes later broke off and formed his own art.