PDA

View Full Version : Double Hooks & Double Daggers

mooyingmantis
07-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Recently I started teaching my students our double daggers (shuang bi shou) form.

I was privileged to have learned a Seven Star double dagger set passed down to my past Sifu, Mike Biggie, from Lee Kam Wing via Brian Bateman of New York. In the past, Sifu Biggie also taught a double dagger form taken from the CCK TJPM system.

We also have a different double dagger set in our Nuhouquan system. My student, Gino Belfiore (Ginosifu) will be producing a DVD on the set soon I believe.

Anywho....

Have you ever noticed the relationship between the hook hands employed in Beng Bu (movements 26 and 27 Double Hooks, Left & Right Seize Legs) and the overhead hand flowers found in many double dagger forms? Though the footwork is quite different, the hands move in a similar fashion.

I teach the double dagger hand flower like this:

1. Stand in a left Tiger Riding stance and swing the right forearm across the front of the body to block a thrust to the abdomen (the left arm swings to the left side).
2. Quickly hook the shaft of the opponent's weapon between the right dagger and the right forearm near the wrist.
3. Pivot into a Horse stance and swing the left arm in a horizontal clockwise arc in front of the body.
4. Step the right foot behind the left foot to form a Twist stance and continue the left arms clockwise arc to strike the trapped opponent in the chest or neck.

I teach the Double Hooks, Left Seize Leg like this:

From the Horse Pattern, Left Insert Strike

1. Pivot into a right Hill Climbing stance and execute a right hook hand to the opponent's wrist.
2. Simultaneously, swing the left foot forward to trip the opponent's forward leg while swinging the left hand in a small clockwise motion in front of the body to end in a hooking sweep to the opponent's neck.

IMO, a near perfect example of how hand techniques and weapon techniques flow out of one another. :)

ginosifu
07-03-2011, 10:49 AM
We also have a different double dagger set in our Nuhouquan system. My student, Gino Belfiore (Ginosifu) will be producing a DVD on the set soon I believe.

Yes Richard I will be coming out with Angry Monkey Double Dagger set, Heart Piercing Spear and Fearful Monkey Steals the Peach this summer.

Thanks for the preliminary advertizing !

ginosifu

ps. Richard, you got a clip of this Mantis double dagger set? I wanna see it.

mooyingmantis
07-03-2011, 02:18 PM
ps. Richard, you got a clip of this Mantis double dagger set? I wanna see it.

No, I don't have it on video for my students yet.