PDA

View Full Version : Steroids in the MA

silk
01-16-2001, 10:58 PM
I was just wondering if steroids ever crossed anybody's mind. For some reason the idea never came to me until I saw kickboxer 2... and still don't see how they would help since bulk doesn't really help in the MA (would hinder more I think). I just wanted to know everybody's opinion on this.

GinSueDog
01-16-2001, 11:04 PM
As with just about anything size does matter, those that have size do have an advantage. Just look at the Lewis vs. Holyfield fight, Holyfield just never stood a chance against Lewis' size advantage. I personally would never juice up, but it has crossed my mind before although never seriously.

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

Paul DiMarino
01-16-2001, 11:12 PM
You can have a fair degree of bulk without hampering flexability, speed, or coordination if you train correctly. It can even aid those that naturally gifted athletes.

denali
01-16-2001, 11:43 PM
By the way, steroids don't just give you bulk, otherwise athletes like runners for example, wouldn't use them. They give your body an unnatural source of a testosterone, thereby increasing your muscles rate of recovery and endurance. A person can go longer and harder while training, which would obviously not only make you bigger, but also stronger and faster. It's the horrible side effects, though, that make steroid use completely undesirable.

qeySuS
01-16-2001, 11:46 PM
im pretty sure my old shifu used steroids for a year or so, and he just got really big, and then he stopped. He didnt take steroids for the MA tho, he's a power lifter too so... competes in bench pressing tournies and such, he can still do all the kicks and stuff, but some of his break moves he cant do any more because he feels his legs are too heavy. He was still one of the best fighters i've ever seen (never saw him before steroids).

just to add, to get it clear i've never treally thought of using steroids for a very simple reason, weightlifting bores me, and i find those REALLY big guys discusting. I'd wrather do many pushups and pullups.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

Kung Lek
01-16-2001, 11:56 PM
Steroids are dangerous and I would never recommend them to anyone.

They are false and to use them for enhancement in Kung fu defeats the whole idea of achieving Kung Fu.

You will not achieve Kung Fu in your art by using steroids. You will be a complete and utter fraud.

The natural way and path to achievment in kung Fu does not include steroids. maybe some yin or yang tonification herbs for internal illness or low energy.

In my not so humble opinion, if you are using steroids you are a complete idiot.

Also, I do not agree that size makes that big of a difference if your mind is developed to think strategically. I have used Kung Fu in Controlled settings and have outplayed men 50 mpounds heavier than me.(no eye gouges, no groin shots, just mechanics and the art)

I have used Kung Fu in a not controlled setting and outplayed larger men there also. I trust my art, I trust my Si Fu and I am secure that all of me and only me is enough in the Kung Fu I study.

peace

Kung Lek

BIU JI
01-16-2001, 11:58 PM
There is a guy at my work who is using the juice . He got alot bigger in a very short time but he is aggressive all the time and you can't talk to him without him looking like he wants to jump on your head, the uncontrolled aggresion that comes from it is scary , particularly in this guys case as he mixes a great deal of drink with it . He doesn't do MA that I know of but the roids are a shocker.

Knifefighter
01-17-2001, 12:06 AM
Anabolic steroids increase the strength and size of type 2 b, FG muscle fibers (fast twitch). These fibers are easily fatigued, so rather than increasing endurance, these types of substances usually decrease endurance. The only runners that use anabolics are sprinters, because their events require speed and power, but not endurance. Endurance runners juice with EPO which is not an anabolic steroid, but rather a chemical that raises the red blood cell count.

HuangKaiVun
01-17-2001, 12:09 AM
Short term gain, long term loss.

silk
01-17-2001, 07:54 AM
I totally agree with you, but I believe that using steroids goes against the philosophies of all MAs (asian ones anyway).