PDA

View Full Version : Diet and nutrition...

Taijimantis
01-17-2001, 07:10 AM
I know a lot of people out there are "serious" athletes.
They know alot about strength training, cardio, and endurence. They know about suppliments and carbs and metabolic enhancers...
What are your ideas on these?
Does anyone do things naturally? What are your tips and ideas for maintaining a healthy body and spirit? Diet is as important as anything else!

Personally I have begun a month long cleansing. Fasting followed by organic whole grains and vegetables.
After this I will be eating macrobiotically (modified) thru at least the duration of my wifes pregnancy.

I lift weights three to five times a week (depending on my cycle week) and follow with cardio for 20 to 45 minutes.

Then I do the forms and techniques I know since my classroom studies and degree are priority right now and I cant get to Tai Chi, Kung Fu or Tang Soo Do.

But I am curios as to what the "panel of experts" thinks on maintaining energy levels and performance on rabbit food and seaweed :)
Or who out there is a meat and taters eater?

Robinf
01-17-2001, 04:52 PM
I've experimented with quite a few diets--low carb/high protein, low carb, low fat, and so on and on and on. The one I found that works best for me is the one recommended by the American Dietetic Association--the old 4 food groups. Everything in balance.

What I do, though, to make that work is count the calories, fat, carbs, sugar, everything that I'm getting so I'm sure to get enough of everything my body needs through food and I don't buy supplements. I also eat a bit differently--what I would have lunch I eat at breakfast time, lunch consists of what most folks consider dinner, and dinner is either a power bar (on the way to class) or breakfast food (homemade, lowfat pancakes and the suggested serving size of syrup--mmmmmmm). I personally don't like the taste of red meat, so there's very little, if any, in my diet (on occasion, steak tips at a restaraunt are good), so I substitute a veggie burger, and usually eat fish and poultry through the week, along with all my veggies and fruits and wheat rolls (the kind with 4 grams of fiber minimum). Nuts are thrown in to reach my need for protein and fat--yes, FAT. I found that when I got too little fat, muscle strains and pulls didn't heal, and even got worse. With the right amount of fat, I heal faster than ever. There have been a couple of studies done about the need for fat and runners, that's what gave me the idea that my problem was not enough fat.

I go to class 6 days a week, so I don't have a problem getting in a workout. I take the stairs at work (to the 6th floor), even at lunch time, and go for a 40 minute walk at lunch.

That's my daily routine.

Robin

danny from miami
01-17-2001, 06:03 PM
whatever u do, do NOT eat grapefruit for breakfast lunch and dinner.u wont get all the good stuff u need and u'd still end up breathing in all the cookies u get ur hands on by night time when ur body goes into an emergency feed me thing. eat good throughout the day - good carbs, good protein, low fat if u want. i usually eat all sorts of stuff - whole wheat pita, egg whites and at least one yellow,orange juice, skim milk, oatmeal, raisin bran, grape nuts, pasta-n-pasta sauce(with good vitamin A),veggies, tuna, low fat mayo(it has vitamin E and K),peanut butter(it has pretty good fat cause its mostly not saturated), fish, chicken, brown rice, lots of water, tea , all sorts of stuff....u need all that. also, i'd practice forms and technique before doing cardio and endurance, and a good book u might wanna look for is nancy clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook second edition

Hep Hwa
01-18-2001, 01:20 AM
As a former nutrition and gym nut I can tell you that there are so many different views on the optimum diet. I have tried so many different approaches to nutrition, from high protein diets to a Vegetarian diets, that I am literally sick of thinking about dieting. But, I will give you my 2 cents anyway just to give you some food for thought(no pun intended). I think that for someone who is working out fairly regularly and intensely, which it sounds like you are, should be eating several smaller meals throughout the day. I personally eat about 5 times every day and try to just eat things that are minimally processed. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, grilled chicken, eggs, oatmeal, whole grain breads, things like this. I don't think that you need to be taking all these protein powders or power bars unless you are too busy to prepare your own food. They make it easy to get the proper nutrients, but you need to eat whole foods to get some of the phytonutrients and fiber you can't get from a power bar. I have found that eating this way gives me sustained energy throughout the day and allows me to train hard everyday. Good luck Taijimantis with whatever road you choose, I hope I was helpful to you.

WongFeHung
01-18-2001, 02:41 AM
I'm not going to repeat what everyone here has already stated, but I will mention one thing (might rub some of you the wrong way) I like to avoid processed foods as much as I can, so although I eat red meat (in moderation)I prefer to eat wild game, deer, elk. It has no chemicals, super low in fat-because it doesn't sit in a pen and get forced fed, food, chemicals, growth enhancers, steroids, antibiotics. I and a few of my students hunt, so every winter,we stock up the freezer with game. Oh, yeah, it's free! Game meat requires a bit of culinary expertise, and sometimes has a stronger flavor,but in stews, chilis, roasts,bbqs, marinades, it is delicious. As far as anti-meat, anti-hunting activists go...they taste the best, but they make lousy coats.

Brian_CA
01-18-2001, 08:39 AM
Personally, I eat fairly clean. Plently of protien and greens. I try and stay over from too many sugars. ( Pastas, breads, too many desserts) However, I do like a good wine and cheese every now and again. If you go high protien, graze through out the day. Also in general, drink plenty of water. (at least 2-3 liters a day). If you are doing any kind of lifting, make sure you get proper protien. I generally do not recommend most vegetarian diets as after 10 years the body begin to eat away at itself on most of them (Believe it or not)

Brian Monnier
San Francisco, CA

Robinf
01-18-2001, 04:27 PM
TenTigers,

Have you ever had buffalo meat? I was wondering if that had the same kind of low-fat meat as wild game does.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

nowhesings
01-18-2001, 05:25 PM
One time when I stopped training for a period I continued to eat sort of macrobiotically (whole grains, beans, vegetables), and I actually maintained my form quit good, at least in a matter of physical form. Another time I stopped training and ate kind of bad food...NOT GOOD. So I'm rather convinced that the macrobiotical approach is a very good one!

Taijimantis
01-21-2001, 05:35 PM
I have seen firsthand some of the wonders macrobiotics can do.

I have just completed my cleanse and am now beginning to expariment with balance. I need to fully understand the concept of Yin and Yang in food, But I can saythat the quality of food that has gone into my body has improved phenominally!

All organic, natural whole foods. The best lunch I had this week was a Pink Lady apple and baked tofu!

I myself will not eat meat. I cant condone it. But I have found a lot of great ways to get my protein. I load up on it in the mornings before working out and then pace myself through the day with nuts, whole grains, cooked veggies and the like. Much like Robin I eat more heavily during the early hours and later I taper off and I try like hell to not eat at all four hours before bed. (unless I am studying.)

I am really interested in others who have tried an unusual approach to diet.

jediman
01-23-2001, 07:15 PM
I've tried a lot of dieting methods. My body type is rather thin, but getting older. Your height and age are gonna have a lot to do with what you need to do to accomplish your goals.

However, the only tried and true method I've found for weight loss and lean muscle gain is moderation coupled with exercise. I know it sounds silly and obvious, but it is true. Obviously, if you are body building you will need higher protein amounts, but you get the picture.

Just eat sensibly and burn more calories than you take in. I alos take vitamins and glucosimine/chondroiten for my joints. They do take a beating and the supplement helps considerably.

Just eat with common sense. But reward yourself one day a week. Eat well all week, and on Friday, or whatever day you wish, eat some junk. You'll be more apt to stick with your diet when you can take a break once a week

Godzilla
01-25-2001, 02:13 AM
Hello:
Breakfast:
Eggs, Fruit, Yogurt, Tea. (fruit you should try to eat alone, it processes thru the body within 30 minutes, then eat the rest)

Lunch:
Protein - beef, chicken, fish, etc.
Mix with veggies and salad. Do not mix with carbs (bread, pasta, rice, no bun with that burger, etc.)

Dinner:
Carbs – pasta, rice, bread, etc.
Mix with veggies and salad. Do not mix with protein.

Rice and beans mixed is an exception. Have that often. (don’t forget to soak the beans at least 8 hours or more to get rid of the fidic acid)

Make as much of this organic. Eat whole foods (whole milk, whole milk yogurt, apples, carrots, etc. Eat quality foods. Juice whenever you want. Snack on almonds, walnuts, raisins, etc. throughout the day. Make the vegetable more of the ‘primary’ part of the meal. Eat until you feel full but do not gorge yourself. Enjoy dessert now and then. Do not eat late at night. Your body will be working hard to process that meal instead of healing and strengthening your body. Enjoy your food. Don’t feel guilty if you eat a ‘bad’ meal. Just eat a good one next time and try to eat that way more often. Drink a lot of water (you will need to experiment with how much is right for you, damage to your kidneys can occur if you drink too much, pay attention to pain in that area, if you feel it cut down on the water). Avoid processed foods (almost everything in the super market, anything in a bag is like eating death – you want death, eat death, you want life, eat life – same with cans (like coffins) bottled juice is mostly sugar water, try getting more fresh juice into your body. Do not eat fruit with meats or carbs – this will slow it down during digestion – it begins to rot, yuk). Avoid sugar but more importantly, avoid sugar substitutes such as Sweet n Low, asparitame (sp), saccrine (sp), equal, etc. Cook with good oils like Grape Seed Oil or Sesame Oil. Do not cook with Olive Oil (low smoke point, turns it rancid) but do sprinkle it onto your pasta, veggies and salad whenever you want and dip your bread into it at he Italian restaurant. Enjoy ice cream with full fat and avoid anything that says ‘low fat’ on the label. Coffee is loaded with pesticides, insecticides, and other ‘ides’, drink less of it and more organic tea. Clean your system one day a month by drinking fresh juice from the health food store or juice it yourself (suggestions, carrot+apple+orange, or carrot+apple+parsely) for breakfast, lunch and dinner – have 10 large cups if you like. Do not eat too much meat (toxins, steroids, etc.) but don’t avoid it either. Eat plenty of garlic, ginger and red pepper. Do not diet, just eat properly. You will get to the weight your body should be and you will rarely get sick.

Enjoy,
Godzilla
(new forum member, really enjoying it here!)

joedoe
02-08-2001, 02:13 PM
Dunno about you guys, but I found you've just got to experiment and find out what works best for you.

Good rule of thumb is balance and moderation.