PDA

View Full Version : mantis aplicaciones

Xian
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPVd63aq67M&feature=related

I dont know much about the style but anyhow I liked the vid. Maybe it was because of this old oldschool training ground :)

Kind regards,
Xian

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Not a fan, sorry.

brothernumber9
07-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I don't know much about SPM but most of what I have seen, the elbows are not nearly that far apart, centerline is more guarded, and the posture is more like a tight coil (curved back) before extended on alot of techniques. Just the same, I am not trying to discredit what this guy is doing or that he can't fight. Just that it at least asthaetically, does not look like most SPM that I have seen publically out there, Chow Ga/Chu Ga/Jook Lum or whatever else.

charp choi
07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
I train in Chow Gar SPM. This is different to what I have been taught but I understnd that this guy is originally from the Steel Wire Mantis school (taught in London in the 80's & 90's by Sifu tony Leung and still taught in Birmingham, UK IIRC) that is a hybrid of Hung Kuen and Chow Gar SPM)

Xian
07-07-2011, 01:21 AM
I train in Chow Gar SPM. This is different to what I have been taught but I understnd that this guy is originally from the Steel Wire Mantis school (taught in London in the 80's & 90's by Sifu tony Leung and still taught in Birmingham, UK IIRC) that is a hybrid of Hung Kuen and Chow Gar SPM)

Hey charp choi,
thanks this could explain his different body structure. In my opionion the way he stands and moves is different from the other Southern Praying Mantis I have seen before. But I have to admit I dont know Southern Praying Mantnis.

Kind regards,
Xian

charp choi
07-07-2011, 09:30 AM
As far as I'm aware they play the spm differently to how I practice it.
I have since found out it has some Shaolin in the mix as well.
This site has more information:

http://www.tao-centre.co.uk/mantis/home.html

(This is the Birmingham, UK school)

sanjuro_ronin
07-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Spm fits very well with Hung Kuen.
It builds on the strong foundation of HK.
It won't look like "typical SPM" of course, nor should it, BUT the core principels are there.
That said, that video showed no applications.