PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Training

TenTigers
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
anyone here do any specialized training, light skillz, iron palm, moi fa jong, special gungs? Special apparatus? jongs, babmboo rods, rings, etc
What have been your results?

David Jamieson
07-05-2011, 05:40 PM
anyone here do any specialized training, light skillz, iron palm, moi fa jong, special gungs? Special apparatus? jongs, babmboo rods, rings, etc

yes.
IP
IB
I use brass heavy rings
...and other stuff ;)

results= I'm petty sure i the average guy messes with me I will fuk him up.
If a martially trained guy messes with me, I'll give him a go. :)

YouKnowWho
07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Not sure it's a good idea to let people to know on the internet what special training that you have.

拳打兩不知(Quan Da Liang Bu Zhi) - Your skill will work better if your opponent doesn't know you.

Lucas
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Special apparatus?

Apparatus you say? I happen to specialize in the traditional Italian Iron Fist.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Rain_Megami/My%20Weapons/Brass_knuckles.jpg

lkfmdc
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Not sure it's a good idea to let people to know on the internet what special training that you have.

拳打兩不知(Quan Da Liang Bu Zhi) - Your skill will work better if your opponent doesn't know you.

You know, I think you have stumbled onto something, but not what you think

This is the TCMA mind set - keep it secret - let no one know what you do

But the reality is, what you think is "secret" and "special" to your school, most likely the other school knows as well

If you continue 拳打兩不知 mentality you have those who live in their own special box, like so many of the trolls here

tradition, maybe, good for the tradition? probably not

EarthDragon
07-05-2011, 09:29 PM
IP
rooting
speed training,
I find these skills are the best at defending yourself in real life or death, all other training is just for excersize or the practice the art in which you study

SPJ
07-05-2011, 09:35 PM
each style has its own special skill sets to develop.

in tong bei

1. relaxation or softing exercise or ruo gong.

for wrist, elbow, shoulder, waist-- a lot of stretching and swinging or swaying

2. deng ta exercise, we stand on front toes and lean forward as much as we can before we fall to our front

we stand on heals and lean backward as far as we can before we fall to our back

we bend our knees and repeat deng and ta exercise

---

SPJ
07-05-2011, 09:38 PM

yes we only give away a tidbit info at a time to stir or stimulate interests

we do not need to type out or give away the whole deal for free.

as an extension of the saying

actually whatever your left hand does, do not let your right hand knows

--

:D

YouKnowWho
07-05-2011, 11:03 PM
This is the TCMA mind set - keep it secret - let no one know what you do ...
If this forum has only TCMA guys, it won't matter to share training information among our TCMA lovers. Unfortunately, in this forum, if you say that you train XYZ, our MMA friends will say that you are wasting your time and it won't work (because our MMA friends don't train it). If you say it works, our MMA friends will ask you to prove it by youtube. Why do you want to give our MMA friends a chance to argue against you?

To prevent an argument from starting is much easier than to argue some troll to death.

we do not need to type out or give away the whole deal for free.
魯肃: If you have the solution for our 東吴, why didn't you tell 吴侯 in our meeting?
孔明: He didn't ask me.

JamesC
07-06-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm still in the early stages of IP, Iron Fist, Iron Forearm, and Iron Shin training. Hopefully in a couple years i'll be able to say that I "have" these skills.

As I mentioned in the makiwara thread, I do these things because they give me comfort with the type of sparring we do at my school. Whether or not it actually helps is debatable.

Now I wish I could just condition my thighs to take those **** round kicks. I just don't know if i'll ever get used to them...:o

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2011, 05:47 AM

IP is the only TCMA specialized training that I do.
I used to do some more "exotic" mentalization skills but found what they did to my personality to NOT be what I wanted.
I use the modern versions of many of the TCMA jongs-
I use a steel staff and steel sticks and keetlebells and so forth.
The results have been what I expected them to be.

Ray Pina
07-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Many people train the same thing... they just don't call it "light skill." They call it plyometrics.... jumping onto four foot cubes. Jumping weighted rope. Training with weight vests. Dumb bells.

This type of training is incorporated into 1/3 of every single training session. Doing shoots or even bear crawls while someone holds you back with a rubber cord.

This is the biggest thing I try to get into "Kung Fu" people's heads.... I don't think they really understand how people who train to fight really train. How hard it is. This type of thing is not special. It's the warm up.

SPJ
07-06-2011, 06:39 AM

cao cao was too big/strong.

alliance with east wu was necessary.

however, zhou yu was the brain and muscle for east wu.

kong ming/zhu ge liang was the minister aiding liu bei.

if east wu is too strong, it will not want alliance

it is a tricky balance of 3 kingdoms.

---

TenTigers
07-06-2011, 06:41 AM
If this forum has only TCMA guys, it won't matter to share training information among our TCMA lovers. Unfortunately, in this forum, if you say that you train XYZ, our MMA friends will say that you are wasting your time and it won't work (because our MMA friends don't train it). If you say it works, our MMA friends will ask you to prove it by youtube. Why do you want to give our MMA friends a chance to argue against you?

To prevent an argument from starting is much easier than to argue some troll to death.

since this is a TCMA forum, the MMA TCMA Haters don't really count, and should be simply ignored. If you let them influence your postings and conversation, then you have succumbed.

Ray Pina
07-06-2011, 06:52 AM
You can't be so sensitive... this is a forum. People will share their thoughts.

My major thoughts concerning this thread: It's important to do focused training, to develop attributes: coordination, explosivity, etc.

All athletes, combat sport enthusiasts included, utilize this. It's nothing special. One group may use kettle bells another dumb bells or iron rings.... its weight resistance training. Jumping out of a hole or jumping onto a four-foot-tall box is the same.

Now, how does TCMA apply the results of this training?

For instance, last night at MMA, we had to squat, grab the heavy bag, put in on our shoulder, explode up, squat back down, gently place the heavy bag on the mat: Sets: 10, 8, 6, 4..... that power will be used when we do shooting into double leg takedown drills.... one man in the middle, team mates keep coming until 20 double legs are performed. Then someone else in the middle.

After 45 mis of polymetrics, 45 mins to an hour of drills, then you bang when you're tired for 30 mins. Complete circle: develop the coordination and power. Practice using it against cooperating partners. Try applying it for real against full resistance while tired.

Mattador
07-06-2011, 07:33 AM

My major thoughts concerning this thread: It's important to do focused training, to develop attributes: coordination, explosivity, etc.

All athletes, combat sport enthusiasts included, utilize this. It's nothing special. One group may use kettle bells another dumb bells or iron rings.... its weight resistance training. Jumping out of a hole or jumping onto a four-foot-tall box is the same.

For instance, last night at MMA, we had to squat, grab the heavy bag, put in on our shoulder, explode up, squat back down, gently place the heavy bag on the mat: Sets: 10, 8, 6, 4..... that power will be used when we do shooting into double leg takedown drills.... one man in the middle, team mates keep coming until 20 double legs are performed. Then someone else in the middle.

After 45 mis of polymetrics, 45 mins to an hour of drills, then you bang when you're tired for 30 mins. Complete circle: develop the coordination and power. Practice using it against cooperating partners. Try applying it for real against full resistance while tired.

I would much rather train IP than cardio as it would help to end a fight sooner.

TenTigers
07-06-2011, 07:46 AM
I would much rather train IP than cardio as it would help to end a fight sooner.
cardio is more than physical, it is also mental conditioning.
In many cases, the difference between winning and losing a fight is your mental toughness, and the will to not fold, succumb, and continue to fight.
Iron palm is useless without an iron will.

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

What will end the fight sooner? Internal Power of Cardio? :confused::confused:

In many cases, the difference between winning and losing a fight is your mental toughness, and the will to not fold, succumb, and continue to fight.

If you can't last 3 full out minutes, you should be doing tons more of cardio. I don't care how good someone's hands are, if you have no conditioning you are gonna lose when your tank empties no matter how deadly your IP may be.

Mattador
07-06-2011, 07:56 AM

You gain plenty of mental toughness by doing IP training. Having to stand at a table hitting bags for long hours...over years...now that is what I call tough mental training.

Mattador
07-06-2011, 07:57 AM
I believe this is all lien gong training you need. Going into horse stance over and over again is good training to resist a takedown.

TenTigers
07-06-2011, 08:01 AM
(stands by and watches in horror as his poor little thread nosedives...helpless):(

faxiapreta
07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I believe this is all lien gong training you need. Going into horse stance over and over again is good training to resist a takedown.

The 90's would disagree with you.

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
"bridge, we've got another one on the radar, incoming...."

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 08:03 AM
The 90's would disagree with you.

about 3000 years of Shuai Jiao would also disagree with him :D

not to mention western wrestling

Ray Pina
07-06-2011, 08:05 AM
My No. 1 issue with Kung Fu..... everyone thinks they have single strike stopping power.

This happens in all disciplines, but its the exception not the rule. You don't train for violence with the assumption that one kick or strike ends things.

Major things to consider: Can you generate that/enough power while moving? While the target is not only moving but also striking back?

What if the other's Iron Chin is better than your Iron Palm?

Basic structure, mechanics, fundamental technical principles and conditioning determine the outcome... I was breaking bricks in Issin-Ryu when I was 13 years old. Not much of that ability translates into real fighting.

Mattador
07-06-2011, 08:07 AM
My No. 1 issue with Kung Fu..... everyone thinks they have single strike stopping power.

This happens in all disciplines, but its the exception not the rule. You don't train for violence with the assumption that one kick or strike ends things.

Major things to consider: Can you generate that/enough power while moving? While the target is not only moving but also striking back?

What if the other's Iron Chin is better than your Iron Palm?

Basic structure, mechanics, fundamental technical principles and conditioning determine the outcome... I was breaking bricks in Issin-Ryu when I was 13 years old. Not much of that ability translates into real fighting.

My hips are very strong from horse stance training. I have yet to be taken down and stopped before applying my IP skills.

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
my hips are very strong from horse stance training. I have yet to be taken down and stopped before applying my ip skills.

incoming!!!!!!!!!!!

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
my hips are very strong from horse stance training. I have yet to be taken down and stopped before applying my ip skills.

beeeeeeeeeeepppppp

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 08:11 AM
incoming!!!!!!!!!!!

beat me to it :mad:

faxiapreta
07-06-2011, 08:11 AM
My hips are very strong from horse stance training. I have yet to be taken down and stopped before applying my IP skills.

Hi Troll. Try better next time.

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 08:12 AM
incoming!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.thesamaritaninn.org/Portals/0/Event%20Photos%20and%20logos/Run%20for%20Cover/Run%20For%20Cover%20Logogrn.JPG

SimonM
07-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Next you will be telling us about how your sensei Andy leant you his Judo Katana. :rolleyes:

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/incoming.jpg

JamesC
07-06-2011, 08:17 AM
*sigh*

Ross, you have my respect for putting up with this for years and years.

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 08:18 AM
*sigh*

Ross, you have my respect for putting up with this for years and years.

that which does not kill us, makes us stronger

and it takes up the extra minutes from time to time :D

Ray Pina
07-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Who tried to take you down?

Go to your local BJJ gym and ask a purple belt -- intermediate level -- to start with you standing up. They won't take it badly. It's what they do every day.

This is another issue. Who have you tested your technology against?

Be fair about it. If you think you have exceptional skill in one area, test it against others who are at least intermediate to advanced.

I've walked into enough kwoons where I could have determined that I am a martial god! I could do whatever I wanted while preventing everything anyone tried. See my videos below.

Then you go to competition. Those videos look different.

TenTigers
07-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Stop It! Just STOP IT! I can't Stand it!!
(needs a pic of some 60's housewife with her hands over her ears screaming...)

donjitsu2
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Many people train the same thing... they just don't call it "light skill." They call it plyometrics.... jumping onto four foot cubes. Jumping weighted rope. Training with weight vests. Dumb bells.

This type of training is incorporated into 1/3 of every single training session. Doing shoots or even bear crawls while someone holds you back with a rubber cord.

This is the biggest thing I try to get into "Kung Fu" people's heads.... I don't think they really understand how people who train to fight really train. How hard it is. This type of thing is not special. It's the warm up.

Exactly.

I mean, technically, I train to achieve similar skills these special "gongs" were meant to build, but I use different training and methodology.

As I said in the Makiwara topic I practice my "style" of iron hand with a heavy bag and a telephone book.

I do a lot of burpees, plyo-jumps, hill sprints, and agility drills. This helps me with what would be considered "lightness skill".

What I do just seems less special because I'm not jumping out of hole or slapping a special bag.

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

TenTigers
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
alas, poor thread...I knew him well...(sigh)

TenTigers
07-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Exactly.

I mean, technically, I train to achieve similar skills these special "gongs" were meant to build, but I use different training and methodology.

As I said in the Makiwara topic I practice my "style" of iron hand with a heavy bag and a telephone book.

I do a lot of burpees, plyo-jumps, hill sprints, and agility drills. This helps me with what would be considered "lightness skill".

What I do just seems less special because I'm not jumping out of hole or slapping a special bag.

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

do I sense a reprise...? Thankyou donjitsu! Thank You!

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 08:23 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dTWWiSwNYBU/TbiqId8oZfI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/i8ev6ohc_Wo/s1600/not_listening.jpg

Ray Pina
07-06-2011, 08:26 AM

This explains a lot.

I have over 30 years of training. Have competed in everything from point sparring to full contact to San Da to Kick Boxing to MMA... Issin-Ryu, Wing Chun, Hung Gar, Hsing-I, E-Chuan, BJJ, MMA

I GET TAKEN DOWN ALL THE TIME!!!!!! And I train like mad with sprawls, positioning, under hooks, over hooks, sweeps, throws, transitions, guard... I train with competitive fighters.

If you're training and don't get hit and taken down and tapped.... you're not really training. You're fu(k!ng around with bags in horse stance like a tool. Probably buying the worlds supply of magic jow for your special hands:)

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 08:26 AM
It isn't so hard to go out and get some experience in wrestling you know

If you want it to be more "real" with clothing, there is this thing called JUDO

Want to do it "in Chinese" find some Shuai Jiao

You will also pretty much learn pretty quickly how much there is a food chain

those who can't wrestle < those with some skills < Those who wrestled in college < Div 1 < All Americans < international level

by the time you get to the third group, you are sitting on your butt most of the time, trust me

Mattador
07-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Sorry for messing up your precious thread.

How do you measure the results gained from these special types of training? I hope you are not going to say that your forearms, which were hardened from bamboo rods, did not get hurt when swung you arm into a rail by accident.

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 08:43 AM
How do you measure the results gained from these special types of training? I hope you are not going to say that your forearms, which were hardened from bamboo rods, did not get hurt when swung you arm into a rail by accident.

Stop Signs and parking meters fear my presence for if my forearms banged into them it would be THEY who scream out in pain. :D

Lucas
07-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Troll. Try better next time.

pot, meet kettle.

Mattador
07-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Stop Signs and parking meters fear my presence for if my forearms banged into them it would be THEY who scream out in pain. :D

Good thing you spent so much time on the gong training.

SPJ
07-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Stop It! Just STOP IT! I can't Stand it!!
(needs a pic of some 60's housewife with her hands over her ears screaming...)

I remember vividly LBJ presidential campaign video clip

a girl was counting and then the nuclear bomb exploded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExjDzDsgbww&feature=related

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Good thing you spent so much time on the gong training.

Yeah, so now, when some pyscho wants to swing on me, i just put out my arm and watch as your arm crumbles due to the awesome hardness of my forearms. not even IP can break my forearms.....just sayin.

SPJ
07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-VzZQGWOqA&NR=1

I like this one better.

democrat daisy.

I was about her age in 1964.

dun know much about nuclear bomb

but I wanted the ice cream she is enjoying

--

:cool:

Mattador
07-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Yeah, so now, when some pyscho wants to swing on me, i just put out my arm and watch as your arm crumbles due to the awesome hardness of my forearms. not even IP can can break my forearms.....just sayin.

I bet your arms are so tough that a bat would not even hurt them. You are my hero.

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I bet your arms are so tough that a bat would not even hurt them. You are my hero.

Bats? i go through gauntlets of bats. been there done that. :D

still, that doesn't make me batty.....

SPJ
07-06-2011, 08:54 AM
this thread needs some ice cream

to cool down or chill

there is an intense heat in so cal.

ice cream

you scream

I scream

---

:)

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
We ALL scream for ICE CREAM.....

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 09:07 AM
One thing i've learned from this forum is its best not to be full of bull-shido..........

http://www.epidemicfun.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/matadoe-gored-499x322.jpg

Mattador
07-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Someone was complaining about this board not being moderated enough. That is a lie. Faxiapreta and I are doing a great job moderating the larpers away from putting up dumb threads.

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 09:11 AM
specialized training so secret no kung fu school does it :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Az3Ub5NCs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshQJfi3BNM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtK7HDkZTSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gVFwsxzqvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyHki0AZWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Uvvldz9A4

Mattador
07-06-2011, 09:14 AM

I would much rather imagine myself attacking a fake attack. It keeps my confidence high as I never get hit.

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I would much rather imagine myself attacking a fake attack. It keeps my confidence high as I never get hit.

ahh come on, the only reason you don't get hit is because you don't fight. :rolleyes:

if you were to compete you'd understand this. :D

Mattador
07-06-2011, 09:22 AM
ahh come on, the only reason you don't get hit is because you don't fight. :rolleyes:

if you were to compete you'd understand this. :D

Speaking of not fighting were you not one of the guys defending the prowess of black doaist?

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Speaking of not fighting were you not one of the guys defending the prowess of black doaist?

I don't even know who that is. so......

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/FM1461~Wipe-My-Butt.jpg

Mattador
07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
My mistake

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
My mistake

Its not your first. No problem. I'm there for ya man. :)

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Mattador
07-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Its not your first. No problem. I'm there for ya man. :)

You must have gained all this wit from imagining the energy going up your cosmic orbit.

Snipsky
07-06-2011, 09:38 AM
You must have gained all this wit from imagining the energy going up your cosmic orbit.

NO FOOL....the Cosmic Orbit is not where the energy enters. however, the energy travels down and not up.

If you knew anything about cosmic orbits you'd understand this :p

Ray Pina
07-06-2011, 09:41 AM

I like the second link drill the best. Good stuff.

Playing Kung FU advocate though, I would say a lot of those drills don't carry over to the strategy or goals of kung Fu fighting.... especially internal.

What I mean is, a lot of that stuff is "boxing", attribute related. A lot of if this then that... a lot of "trading" or taking a shot and then returning. That's not what Ba Gua or Hsing-I or Taiji is interested in doing.

When I was teaching in NY I had contact/live drills for E-Chuan training. One can develop customized live drills.

All in all though, those links demonstrate live training vs dead training methods.

YouKnowWho
07-06-2011, 12:07 PM
since this is a TCMA forum, the MMA TCMA Haters don't really count, and should be simply ignored. If you let them influence your postings and conversation, then you have succumbed.

A: I train ...
B: Go to your local BJJ gym and ask a purple belt ...
C: Stop It! Just STOP IT! I can't Stand it!!

This is why I want to stay out of this discussion. I was the 1st one to response to your thread. I then deleted it. In RSF forum everybody know what I train. It's not a secret. But in this forum, every discussion will always end like this. :(

pateticorecords
07-06-2011, 12:45 PM
beat the trees in the backyard, wrestle blind-folded, practice "full contact" push hands, fight with one arm tied behind your back, practice speed drills with a partner while your back is against a wall, run up and down steep hills with a 100 pound weight vest on:)

YouKnowWho
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I only train how to use my d!ck to knock my opponent out cold. This forum only deserves this kind of post.

SPJ
07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
We ALL scream for ICE CREAM.....

I am like half century old

but I get all excited when ice cream truck comes by

"pop goes the weazle"

me always like vanilla, plain one

I am in heaven.

totally chilled and cooled.

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Good stuff Ray !
Of course one needs to state the difference between that training which is oriented towards being effective under extreme conditions with training used to develop attributes and skill.
ALL are needed to make one a well rounded and effective MA.

Ray Pina
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
A: I train ...
B: Go to your local BJJ gym and ask a purple belt ...
C: Stop It! Just STOP IT! I can't Stand it!!

This is why I want to stay out of this discussion. I was the 1st one to response to your thread. I then deleted it. In RSF forum everybody know what I train. It's not a secret. But in this forum, every discussion will always end like this. :(

I also wanted to quote the quote you were referring to, about "succumbing to haters."

Trading ideas with other martial artists, particularly with an apparent different mindset and approach, is a great opportunity. If I hear something that doesn't sound reasonable or doesn't suit my needs or wants, I quietly brush it off.... but I certainly like to hear and see. I wish I could see everything.

With that said, it's not fair to mix and match ideas from different threads. My point of this thread: don't mystify training. There's no secrets. And if there were they wouldn't be giving them away at the strip mall kwoon.

My point in the other thread is don't say "never." If you've never been hit or taken down... if you've never been stressed past your abilities and, imagine this, lose.... then you aren't really training.

I have bad news for a lot of people: You're not the best. If you go out and compare within competitive circles you're already high level if you have more wins than loses.... nobody never loses.

Lucas
07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
you're not the best.

wtf!?!?!??!

Yum Cha
07-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I only train how to use my d!ck to knock my opponent out cold. This forum only deserves this kind of post.

Ai-Ya!

Don't give away the secrets!

JamesC
07-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Just a little FYI, my old instructor(Sifu Marc McFann) taught Erik Paulson his first leg lock back in the day.

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Just a little FYI, my old instructor(Sifu Marc McFann) taught Erik Paulson his first leg lock back in the day.

then he's got to be as old as dust :D

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
You're not the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho says otherwise! :mad:

JamesC
07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
then he's got to be as old as dust :D

lmao.

Yeah...he's pretty old, lol.

lkfmdc
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
lmao.

Yeah...he's pretty old, lol.

you realize, I wasn't insulting him

Frost
07-07-2011, 04:50 AM
I don’t use many old school special skills training methods these days I find personally modern methods easier, more specific and more quantifiable

In the past I have used metal rings to train forearm conditioning and fa ging, I have done muscle changing jongs, iron body work using bundles of chop sticks before progressing to bags filled with beans. I have done iron palm work progressing from telephone books to bags filled with different beans and shot, now I personally feel my body conditioning is better because of actual sparring, taking kick and punches as well as using medicine balls for impact training etc. My hands seem to still have the same power from doing the bag and thai pads and actual sparring

Previously I used heavy weighted weapons, partner drills// jongs to work strength and conditioning and power is usage , these days I use barbells, dumbbells to achieve what I see as better results when it comes to building strength( I am stronger, have better endurance etc) and for training power I find indirect methods such as sprints, bounds, jumps, medicine balls throws to be more effective, and direct methods such as band resisted throws, band resisted takedowns, pad and bag to be more time efficient as well

Sudden shock explosive strength was trained my using rings on the forearm, partner drills, movements in the air short range strikes on various objects and special sets. Now I train my short power on pads and bags (these I used back in the day as well) and through alactic explosive exercises but I no longer use the rings, specific jongs , moves in the air or actually specifically work on it like I used to for hours on end week after week, which means now I cant do the stunts I used to be able to, break boards from little or no distance, dropping compliant training partners with my hand resting on them and just using body explosion to hit with no space etc (actually I have not tried this stuff for years so am assuming I cant do it lol) but to be honest what I have now I can actually use in a fight whilst moving and my opponent resisting me, before I could only demo it when the opponent was helping me

I personally feel that your training should go from the general to the specific, ie building general strength, general explosiveness and power, general endurance and conditioning and then it should become sports/fight specific and for me whilst I can see some of the benefits of the special skill work people are talking about I find there are better ways to build general strength, power and endurance, and much better ways of making those abilities sports specific

Now this is my personal journey, which some will understand and some reject out of hand,

sanjuro_ronin
07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
I personally feel that your training should go from the general to the specific, ie building general strength, general explosiveness and power, general endurance and conditioning and then it should become sports/fight specific and for me whilst I can see some of the benefits of the special skill work people are talking about I find there are better ways to build general strength, power and endurance, and much better ways of making those abilities sports specific

QFT.

I will say this, most specialized training is what makes "kung fu", "kung fu", take that out and you really are just doing a type of KB or MMA.
I know the time is finite and if one MUST choose then choose what is proven to work best and quickest BUT sometimes there is more to it than just that.
TCMA tend to favour specialized training that is long term as opposed to short term, IP and IB for example.

The old time manuals show practioners hitting sand bags and lifting weights and doing endurance work, just like modern practioners do now, the point is doing IT not WHAT it was being done with.
Modern times have given us better equipment and more scientific approaches to better "get there".

ginosifu
07-07-2011, 06:23 AM
My specialized training regemin includes:

I work on finger tip strength by doing finger tip push ups and my IP includes Wing Lam Sifu's Claw hit onto the IP bag. I used to do a lot of SC Belt Cracking for grip strength. I lift and catch large family size mustard or mayonaise jars filled sand for claw strength.

You can say I do a lot of Finger and grip strength. When I grab someone I want to able to control them well.

I also have noticed sine I started IP, have never had those finger busters in sparring class. You know when your finger gets bent backwards or jammed. Since IP, Nope never had it again.

ginosifu

Mattador
07-07-2011, 07:20 AM
My specialized training regemin includes:

I work on finger tip strength by doing finger tip push ups and my IP includes Wing Lam Sifu's Claw hit onto the IP bag. I used to do a lot of SC Belt Cracking for grip strength. I lift and catch large family size mustard or mayonaise jars filled sand for claw strength.

You can say I do a lot of Finger and grip strength. When I grab someone I want to able to control them well.

I also have noticed sine I started IP, have never had those finger busters in sparring class. You know when your finger gets bent backwards or jammed. Since IP, Nope never had it again.

ginosifu

How often do you spar and what kind of sparring is it? Kickboxing,wrestling, both?

ginosifu
07-07-2011, 08:50 AM
How often do you spar and what kind of sparring is it? Kickboxing,wrestling, both?

I teach morning, afternoon, evening and weekend classes, 6 days a week. I usually fight with each class, so it could be anywhere from 10 to 15 times a week.

We spar with open finger gloves, so grabbing is possible. Sparring for beginners is just light contact learning how to move and create combos. Sparring with intermediates can get a little rougher with more contact and some take downs and sweeps. Sparring with advanced students usually includes everything (sweeps, take downs, chokes, armbars etc) until tap out.

Shuai Chiao for beginners is the same as sparring light fighting. Intermediate is the same. Advanced is the same, wrestle until tap out.

ginosifu

SPJ
07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
there are specialized or functional trainings with common household items and nothing fancy.

you may grab the handle of the bucket, empty first; 3 pound of water ; 5 pound of water etc (idea of kettle bell)

you may turn your wrist and grab a rope, then a staff and then a wider pole etc

these are to practice the wrist turning and gripping power of your hands/fingers

good for qin na

good for shuai jiao

good for mantis hand

good for tiger, dragon, and eagle claws

---

SPJ
07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
jump rope 100 loops or 500 loops

etc good for your wrist rotation.

etc etc

JamesC
07-07-2011, 08:58 AM
you realize, I wasn't insulting him

I didn't take it as one.

I had just never really given it much thought until you said something. ;)