PDA

View Full Version : Makiwara

Turiyan
09-05-2000, 09:11 AM
There was talk awhile back about makiwara's. I forgot to add some more details. Interestingly enough, the best info on makiwara's I came across was in book form. _ Goldfinger _, I never saw the movie.

But he talks about how they strike the makiwara. The one oddjob used was a board wrapped in cord. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When you strike, at the moment of contact, you tense your whole body up, transfering the power of the punch fully into the target.

I havent really seen "real" makiwara training explanied or demonstrated properly myself. In sonny chiba's _ street fighter _ the guys hit makiwara's but their punches are executed in a grossly

Their fists just kind of obliqely bounce of the makiwara... Which didnt move much.

Those with knowlege of iron body could figure
out how to use the makiwara in a more internal manner. Think of a combination of hung breath, dynamic tension, and punching.

But dont think that your fist is hitting the object. The objects hitting your fist. Your fist hits, You take in shock, and put it back and then some.

I dont know, kind of hard to explain. Chinese kungfu isnt too up on makiwara type devices.

Its a shame.

Personally, I wont touch them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'd play around with something more soft and springy. But there's a rhythm even I cant get. I prefer swinging bags.

Like iron palm level 1, you need a strong base to use it. I'm more counter intuitive. Like when you walk up behind someone, put your fist by their ear and tap them on the shoulder.

They turn and WACK. Thats hilarious. You cant just horse and strike a makiwara. It doesnt feel right to strike inward into the makiwara.

The stance that feels the best for a makiwara is where you horse with it to one side. Then turn. You can then strike with both fists alternatly but you should change from right to left.

Those ones with cords and wooden planks are really hard. Go to an auto shop and get those big sponges and some canvas cloth.

Wrap sponge with the cloth, folding over the long ends and wrap the rest of the canvas around sides and around the back of the board and nail or staple it on your board.

The softer ones will work your wrist more than your fist. The tension is the most dangerous part. Exspecially when you combine it with the voice.

I wont go too much into it. But take a small breath and hold it. Now do a slight, quick crunching movement with your abdomen like your doing a situp.

You should feel a ungh sound and sensation. Now try it with your arm out turned about 3/4 from from the verticle fist.

Thats about where you would start to apply tension and the full breath. You dont HAVE to yell. Just grunt.

Take anything at your own risk. Never apply the breath THROUGH tension. It comes slightly before. Try to drop the breath down. Most will keep it up high near the thyroid. You'll FEEL the difference.

Enough rambling. I have to take care of my credit card account online right about now...

DrunkenMonkey
08-30-2001, 06:08 PM
I posted a similar topic in the Kung Fu forum, but I just wanted to hear more opinions from other people who possibly train in this a lot. What do you think about it? I keep hearing stuff about how it can give you arthiritis.

What are the hazards? Also, what kind of routines do you do on it.

An Art is any form of expression or task that has been honed to near perfection.

Budokan
09-01-2001, 06:42 AM
People who have joint trouble later in life tend to be the same people who misused the makiwara in the first place. --Instead of realizing it's a tool to perfect the biomechanics of a punch (or kick or block or whatever) they view the maki as just a board to slam as hard as they can.

Of course that's not what it's for, as I'm sure you already realize. Used properly, a karateka shouldn't be inducing arthritis just because he's practicing with a maki.

K. Mark Hoover

TenTigers
07-05-2011, 05:37 PM
How many TCMA guys also train the makiwara as part of your regimen? WHy?
I personally do use the makiwara. I naturally have a weak wrist structure (don't make fun of me. I'm frail!) Makiwara is just one of the ways I like to strengthen it.

David Jamieson
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
How many TCMA guys also train the makiwara as part of your regimen? WHy?
I personally do use the makiwara. I naturally have a weak wrist structure (don't make fun of me. I'm frail!) Makiwara is just one of the ways I like to strengthen it.

I was a user back when I was doing the Okinawan.

I get all that from heavy bag now, my hands seem to have become hard...lol

donjitsu2
07-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I used to use a phone book on a tree.

Now I just use a heavybag and, occasionally, a telephone book like it's a iron palm bag.

(Un)Caged Fighter's "Iron Hand" (http://www.uncagedfighter.com/2010/10/this-article-is-re-write-of-another.html)

Train Hard,

Josh Skinner

GeneChing
07-05-2011, 06:27 PM
I keep thinking I should mount one somewhere in the office here. It would be a good thing to strike as I passed by every day. I recall hearing some tale that Bruce Lee did that when he worked at a restaurant or something, and it sounded like such a good idea, if for no other reason to get out your work frustrations.

Canvas Makiwara (http://www.martialartsmart.com/20-8485.html)

Clapper Makiwara (http://www.martialartsmart.com/20-86.html)

TenTigers
07-05-2011, 06:34 PM
the canvas ones don't absorb enough and you can damage your wrist/hand. The clapper has more give, so if you're going to mount it on the wall or a beam, I would go with that. Get the large one, the small one is too narrow.

JamesC
07-06-2011, 03:28 AM
I use a makiwara. I have been for years off and on. I used to practice Shorin Ryu so it is a carry over from that. I've gotten more serious about it within the last few months at my new martial arts school. We spend the last 30 minutes doing sparring without any pads(other than a cup) so it just makes me feel better to condition. Think kyokushin type of sparring.

Anyhow, I also hit my IP bag 1000 times in the morning. Plus, I have a new leather wallbag from everythingwingchun that i've added to my morning work.

All-in-all I do about 1500 strikes every morning with my hands. I also do the 3 star drill on a small tree in my back yard and I do some shin conditioning.

I think of it as my coffee. Helps to wake me up every morning since you have to concentrate.

JamesC
07-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Just to add to my last post.

I can see how many of the Okinawan Karate guys find it a very Zen activity. Once you've been doing it for a while it can be very meditative. Just like any other ritualized practice, I suppose.

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2011, 05:49 AM
I used to use a few types of Makiwara but I broke them all and haven't replaced them, LOL !

Brule
07-06-2011, 06:12 AM
....... Plus, I have a new leather wallbag from everythingwingchun that i've added to my morning work.

All-in-all I do about 1500 strikes every morning with my hands. I also do the 3 star drill on a small tree in my back yard and I do some shin conditioning.

I think of it as my coffee. Helps to wake me up every morning since you have to concentrate.

you just broke the code. If you're going to buy a piece of equipment from someone other than Martial Arts Mart, don't mention it here. Gene will be sending his minions of nacho greased ninjas to carve up yo azz.

JamesC
07-06-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't think they sell wallbags at martialartsmart...

JamesC
07-06-2011, 06:31 AM
I used to use a few types of Makiwara but I broke them all and haven't replaced them, LOL !

Btw, didn't you practice kyokushin or enshin karate for a while? If so I could use some tips and such from you as far as conditioning goes for the sparring.

I've only ever sparred with gloves so it's all a bit new to me.

GeneChing
11-02-2017, 11:18 AM
I don't think they sell wallbags at martialartsmart...
MAM used to sell them but they were very unpopular so they were discontinued.

It only took me six years to respond...:o