PDA

View Full Version : Who's got skills?

baji-boy
01-19-2001, 11:53 PM
All of these discussions are really interesting! Thanks!

Anyways, I was wondering, what kind of "skills" or "enhanced abilities" has everyone aquired due to your training? This topic has probably come up before, sorry if it has.

Since I've just started my training recently, I haven't really noticed any differences. The only things so far for me are better concentration, I'm more "calm", a little stronger, more flexible, and have noticed that I now react much faster than I have before my training had started.

So, how about everyone else?

Scarletmantis
01-20-2001, 03:22 AM
Sounds to me like your doing well already. Most of your immedeate progress i.e. instant gratifiacation in the arts occur during the first few years of training. You'll probably exceed your current limitations many times over in these early years.
Once you've been training for awhile, you might find your progress slowing somewhat. While you'll get better at learning new material, it might start to take longer for your conditioning to catch up.
For example, I began training Iron Palm within the first six months of my education. I was a teenager at the time, very resilient and quick to recover. Within two months, I was cracking stacks of three boards, something I never thought I could do.After a couple of these "little victories", I thought I was gonna be a master in no time!
Little did I know! It took me four years, count 'em, four years to break a single cieling tile. I felt like the biggest fool ever. My fellows had been breaking all kinds of stuff for a long time. In fact, intrest in breaking skills in my school had pretty much waned to nothing by the time I got good at it.
My advice Ba-Ji Boy, is to keep your sights on the little victories. As long as you continue to train, the skills of the master will sneak up on you when you least expect it. You will be surprised to find they are really no big deal. :D
What's really important is that you just keep walking the path. The true "magic" comes from keeping ones feet in motion.

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."

BIU JI
01-21-2001, 01:46 AM
Of all the things one comes to mind and that is being able to read situations better. Because we are always training with others and sparing you start to read body postures and how it gives away an attack when it comes at you so you start to read body language that much better and begin to spot people who are likely to start something if you're out and and about. I've found because of the concentration in training that on the street I tend to spot and keep an eye on those that come across as dodgy. When I walk down the street or enter a building there is always apart of my mind that is aware of those around me and how they are behaving.
So your level of awareness is hightened(if you pay attention).When your are training and your holding the kicking bag for your traing bro take note of how his body advitises his kick or punch or whatever. Thats one area that has developed.
Peace....

BIU JI
01-21-2001, 01:51 AM
Oh and our 1st level iron palm is breaking a coconut, I passed, also left a hand print on my sifus stomach after a back hand palm through a phone book, benefits of internal training.

J
01-21-2001, 08:18 AM
Biu Ji,

If I recall correctly, you're a student of YKM under FT located down under. Does YKM do coconut breaking similar to BFP with their iron palm?

Curious,
J

BIU JI
01-21-2001, 03:10 PM
Well not really a level training only I wanted to test my iron palm after time developing it . Didn't know BFP has that in it's system, I don't know much other than what I've read on the forum about BFP system.
I asked my sifu if I could try it he said go for it, since then a couple of other guys tried it and passed so it was type of unofficial level test.I've been doing my internal form and iron palm for awhile and am impressed by what it developes. After a time of breaking boards, tiles etc looked for something else to break, figured it had to be my hand or it. Until you do something like that or hit someone you don't realise how much conditioning hardens the bone and gives more confidence .