PDA

View Full Version : Neck bridges are bad for your spine - Fact or speculation?

Sardinkahnikov
07-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Hi.

Sorry, I couldn't find any olds threads on this subject.

http://www.drdarden.com/forum_images/412117.1139170635924.mb-062.jpg

I've been doing a little online research to see if I can come across any substancial evidence that neck bridges are actually bad for your spine on the long run. Most of what I've found is just forum and youtube bickering.

I know that this exercises is important in grappling arts, but can someone here shed some light on whether it is hazardous to your vertebrae?

donjitsu2
07-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi.

I know that this exercises is important in grappling arts, but can someone here shed some light on whether it is hazardous to your vertebrae?

For the absolute beginner full neck bridges could be problematic to the cervical spine simply because they lack the strength in their neck musculature.

However, no one starts off with full neck bridges anyway. Virtually every learns the drill by using their hands to help support them, thus minimizing the pressure on the cervical spine. Over time the muscles of the neck get stronger and trainees need to rely on support less and less.

So, they aren't as dangerous as they may initially seem. In fact, I can see why they are beneficial to many, especially those who spend most of their day sitting:

http://www.clubsatcrp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Sitting.png

Sitting all day places the spine in a position that is the exact opposite of neck bridge. The problem isn't so much the position itself but, rather, how much time is spent in it. Holding that flexed spinal position for so much time places a lot of stress on the individual discs in our spine - particularly in the Lumbar spine. Overtime they can "dry out" (because they aren't getting the sinovial fluid they need) and they can even start to shift or bulge out - not a good thing.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs312.snc3/28251_412650921274_118739386274_4933756_2498634_n. jpg

That flexed spine position can also have negative effects on our musculature. Weak glutes, tight hip flexors and hamstrings, calcium deposits int the vertebral end-plates all wreak havoc on the balanced position and stability of our hips - which can further complicate and exacerbate spinal issues and low back pain.

The way I see it the Neck Bridge is a method trainees can use to help reverse the negative aspects of sitting all day.

The Neck Bridge position places the spine in an extended position which will help the spinal discs get the nutrient rich sinovial fluid they need (really it is the movement between spinal flexion and extension that caused this), reverse any movement of the disc (though the neck bridge may not be the best thing to start off with if you have actual disc bulging), stretch/relax the hip flexors, and strengthen the glutes.

Essentially the drill can help balance you out.

For sure, I would utilize other methods when dealing with any sort of sitting-related muscular imbalances/back pain. There are other joint mobility drills for the spine as well as doing some myofascial release on the soft tissue. But the neck bridge definitely has it's place in the program.

From a pure martial arts perspective the strength built through the use of this drill is definitely useful in grappling/throwing related training. And the neck strength build is helpful for anyone doing any sort of full contact training (preventing the knockout, ect...)

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

Sardinkahnikov
07-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Great reply, thank you!

Oso
07-10-2011, 07:51 PM
[ice cube]

neck bridges is bad for your health

[/ice cube]

gareththomasnz
07-25-2011, 04:26 AM
I used to train with a neck harness

I got very strong and was able to do over 100 reps with 80 lbs on my neck

On an army exercise a guy put me in a nasty head lock just playing around. he pressed much harder than he should have on the back of my head.

A couple of weeks later I awoke and was unable to twist my neck - there was extreme pain.

An x-ray at the chiro revealed I had zero curvature in my neck - straight as a broom stick.

It took about six years to come right with sporadic episodes every six months or so.

I have not had trouble with it for about 5 years now but your neck is both strong and delicate.

So proceed with caution.

HumbleWCGuy
07-25-2011, 10:24 AM
All exercise has a deleterious effect on your joints, especially at a high level. Serious results require serious training. Sure you want to train smart and be careful. When people ask about how they will feel when they get old, I say, "You can cut out all the core parts of training and be a 50 year-old never was, or a get serious and be a 50 year-old has been." I prefer the has been rather than the never was.

Kansuke
07-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Boy I hope not, 'cause I spent about 20 years of my life doing that every f-ing day.

Lee Chiang Po
07-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Neck bridges are not good for you. It is an un natural position and it puts extreme pressures on your neck bones. Your neck does good to hold the head upright anyway, and this can eventually cripple you. Pain in your golden years can ruin your retirement. Breaking stuff with your head is also not good for you.

donjitsu2
07-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Neck bridges are not good for you. It is an un natural position and it puts extreme pressures on your neck bones. Your neck does good to hold the head upright anyway, and this can eventually cripple you. Pain in your golden years can ruin your retirement. Breaking stuff with your head is also not good for you.

Karl Gotch would disagree with you.

Here's a video of him at about 70 years of age:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CreCOrf9ExM&feature=related

Still looks healthy to me.

The fact of the matter is: ANYTHING can be bad for you if you over do it. But you'd be surprised how strong the body can become.

The key to staying healthy is applying proper principles of overload and allowing adequate rest.

Train Hard,

Josh Skinner

Dragonzbane76
07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
one of the foundations of wrestling, the bridge. I'll go with don. on this one. It's not bad if you know how to develop it. Using the hands from a beginning level to build up muscle stren. and dexterity in the neck.

In grappling at any medium level and up you see a good bit of neck bridging on the mats.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://wrestling.isport.com/userfiles/Guide/image/Wrestling/Wrestling_Neck-Bridge-Drills_300x350.jpg&sa=X&ei=kQkuTvebGqTEsQLV2JyvCw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFsW3alcMLyJqIXd4O5OlUmcQ4dxQ

I'm sure you can hurt yourself doing it in an ill manner, but with experience it's an essential part of a good grapplers tools. Like anything else you need to work up to it, you sure don't start out doing throws without learning to fall first do you?

IronFist
08-24-2011, 12:07 PM
ifl

Kevin73
08-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Wasn't a couple of the exercises that the Shaolin taught for their "iron forehead" doing headstands and not using the hands to balance against a wall? Also, head butting basically a heavy bag?

donjitsu2
08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Wasn't a couple of the exercises that the Shaolin taught for their "iron forehead" doing headstands and not using the hands to balance against a wall? Also, head butting basically a heavy bag?

Yes.

though in Liang Shou Yu's "Qigong Empowerment" he advocates hitting yourself in the head with a bat.

I don't recommend either practice because even low level "subconcussive" blows to the head CAN (not will) lead to CTE.

3 Tips For Preventing Brain Injury (http://www.uncagedfighter.com/2010/12/3-tips-for-preventing-brain-injury.html)

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

SteveLau
08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
For staying with the topic, neck bridges are not bad for our spine, but for our neck. As some members have stated, the exercises are strong, and not very safe. If one wants to do it, make sure he is ready for it. I get a similar purpose exercise right off my head now - head press. Lean against a wall with our head with a pad between our head and the wall. Make sure our feet do not slip. Place our hands on the wall lightly just for injury prevention. Train on the four sides of our head, that means our neck muscles. Currently, I do static contraction on the four sides of my neck regularly.

KC
Hong Kong

bawang
08-30-2011, 06:22 AM
neck bridge is absolutely a must for traditional kung fu. in fact it is part of traditional iron head training.

Frost
08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
The question shouldn’t be so much are they good or bad, but are they necessary? in wrestling where you lose if your shoulders get pinned then bridging on your head/neck is a good idea, if your not competing in such a wrestling format why would you bother learning it if you are worried about the risks of doing it? There are other exercises you can do for the neck and back

SteveLau
08-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Very good point, Frost.

KC
Hong Kong