PDA

View Full Version : Legend of a Rabbit (兔侠传奇)

GeneChing
07-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Oh man, I so want to see this. An evil CGI Kung Fu Panda (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56148)?! Priceless, man, totally priceless.

Follow the link to a YouTube...errr, YouKu vid. :cool:

Watch: 'Legend of a Rabbit' a shamelessly shanzhai Kung Fu Panda (http://shanghaiist.com/2011/07/08/watch_legend_of_a_rabbit_a_shameles.php)

Here's the pitch: An action-comedy CG animated children's film set in ancient China, where the hero is a likable and somewhat roly-poly talking animal who subverts the traditional notion of more rotund members of society being less coordinated. He's sort of bumbling, but ultimately has a good heart and succeeds in the end with whatever quest he's found himself saddled with. Oh, and he's a cook that works with flour starch products! Yeah, because overweight characters loooove their food to the extent that they're unsuitable for any other profession.

Plus, there's Kung Fu involved. The comic visual aspect of such a portly protagonist doing his best Jackie Chan impersonation works like cinematic catnip on moviegoers, and is pretty much irresistible for kids and kidults alike.

Why didn't anyone think of this earlier? It sounds like it'd be a hit!

'Legend of a Rabbit' (兔侠传奇), a new film from Tianjin North Film Group and Beijing Film Academy, in conjunction with the Beijing Century Colorful Butterfly Animation Design Limited Company, takes this sure-fire winner of a concept to theaters on July 11th across theaters in China. Hollywood, are you paying attention? The original ideas for family films are coming out of China now!

One thing we do find strange is that the main protagonist, Second Grandpa Rabbit (兔二爷), besides being dull, generic and a little annoying, has the beadiest little eyes. Is this what counts for sinicizing an animated character? Making the eyes as little as possible, and thus occluding the expressive possibilities available with a larger-eyed figure? It might be appropriate for a comic relief sidekick perhaps, but definitely not for your main woodland creature that the audience is expected to relate to.

And strangely enough, the main evil oppressive bully in the film is a panda. Huh, now why would that be? We thought pandas were loved the world over, and why a panda would be depicted negatively in 'Legend of a Rabbit' is an enduring mystery that we'll have to sleep on for the time being.

If the filmmakers thought that they were able to achieve a truer depiction of Chinese culture than others, they can rest assured that they did in fact succeed. However, they might think they've done so simply by adding in a few rhyming wordplay sequences that will amuse only if you're fluent in Mandarin, amongst other assorted flourishes of Chineseness, but they would be wrong.

They most represent contemporary Chinese culture in that they've taken something already successful and simply concocted an uninspired knock-off version of the original, all the while underestimating their audience's ability to sniff the difference.

Which, at least in the context of films, is a heartening sign that China's creative industry is maturing, if they're now following in Hollywood's footsteps in producing unnecessary derivative remakes of foreign hits. Whoop-dee-doo.

ShaolinDan
07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Wow. I think that was the most sarcastic article I've ever read. ...still haven't seen "kung fu panda," myself...totally irresponsible, I know, I know. Sometime in the next year I'll get to it.

JamesC
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Communism is awesome.

GeneChing
07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
The animation doesn't look that good in the trailer.

China's answer to 'Kung Fu Panda 2': Kung Fu rabbit (http://www.cnngo.com/shanghai/play/chinas-answer-kung-fu-panda-2-kung-fu-rabbit-232362)
"Legend of a Rabbit" reckons it's China's first world-class animation film, but Chinese netizens think it looks almost a bit too familiar
12 July, 2011

http://i.cdn.cnngo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_large/2011/07/12/kungfu-rabbit.jpg

Is it about kung fu? Check. Is it about a fluffy animal? Check. Is it set in ancient China? Check. But this time, it's "Legend of a Rabbit."

China's first 3D animation film -- "Legend of a Rabbit" -- hit Shanghai cinemas yesterday.

The 90-minute, RMB 12 million flick was produced and directed by Sun Lijun (孙立军), dean of the animation college at the Beijing Film Academy, and has been in production for the past three years.

Sun Lijun expects "Legend of a Rabbit" to cash in RMB 15 million, breaking China's animation film box office record set by "Pleasant Goat and Big Bad Wolf."

The controversy

Set in ancient China, the plot follows Tu'er the rabbit, a pancake cook in Beijing, who is trained by a dying kung fu master, a monkey named Laoguanzhu, and later sent on a journey of revenge to battle with his master shifu's enemy -- Xiongtianba the panda.

Sound familiar?

http://i.cdn.cnngo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/inline_image_240x240/2011/07/12/xiongtianba.jpg
Legend of a Rabbit -- inline 1
Xiongtianba (熊天霸): The panda villain in "Legend of a Rabbit."

Since "Legend of a Rabbit" released its first trailer on Youku.com six months ago, Chinese netizens have been quick to list similarities with "Kung Fu Panda." Some even called it a straight rip-off.

One Youku user named “slingbb” said: “If this came out before ‘Kung Fu Panda,’ I would praise, but now [I won't].”

Another netizen “Shenlanxiaohao” said he would support the film, but wouldn’t watch it because it looks too shanzhai (fake).

In an interview with Xiaoxiang Morning Herald, Sun denied that "Legend of a Rabbit" is shanzhai and said he was very puzzled by netizens' feedback.

"If 'Legend of a Rabbit' were really a shanzhai version of 'Kung Fu Panda,' why didn't Dreamworks come to us for copyright [fee]?" Sun asked.
Essence of Chinese animation

Sun explained that 62 countries have already purchased "Legend of a Rabbit."

"Overseas buyers are not idiots -- they've watched 'Kung Fu Panda', haven't they?"

State-run People.com.cn posted an article on July 10, praising "Legend of a Rabbit" as a succesful example of the essence of the "Oriental animation genre" and capturing "authentic Chinese kung fu flavor."

After its launch in China, "Legend of a Rabbit" will be shown in the United States, Russia, Australia, Thailand, Singapore.

It is the first Chinese animation to be screened worldwide.
Going international

The Mandarin version of "Legend of a Rabbit" is voiced by Chinese celebrities like Fan Wei, Yan Ni and Zhang Fengyi. The Cantonese version is garnered with stars like Tse On Kei and Cheng Yee-Kin.

One anonymous insider revealed to Sohu that the film is currently planning its English-language version and is targeting Hollywood A-listers.

According to various Chinese media, the list of candidates includes Daniel Craig, Robert De Niro, Ralph Fiennes, Huge Grant, Madonna, Shaquille O'Neal and Michael Tyson. I would be impressed if they got any of these people as voice actors....well, maybe not as impressed with Grant or Tyson.

GeneChing
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
This may have to split into its own independent thread some day.

Hopes of Chinese Animation Ride on 'Tofu Boy' (http://www.voanews.com/content/china_animation_hopes_hinge_on_tofu_boy/1207892.html)
Stephanie Ho
June 12, 2012

BEIJING - Popular western movies like Kung Fu Panda are presenting a challenge for Chinese animators, who have yet to produce a hit among international audiences.

But for Director Sun Lijun, creator of Legend of a Rabbit, a 3D film about a clueless rabbit who doesn't know he's inherited awesome kung fu abilities, raising China's animation standards is critical.

Prior to its 2011 release, which was preceded by a massive international marketing campaign, Legend of a Rabbit was expected to be a Chinese-animation masterpiece. Although Sun says he was not completely satisfied with the film, it nonetheless drew attention to China's burgeoning role in the feature-length animation industry.

“What made me proud is that The Guardian had an article that was titled 'China Picks Cartoon Fight with Hollywood,'" he says. "It means that, as a Chinese, I am competing with the United States. It's just like Liu Xiang competing in the 100 meters - this is definitely a proud thing for Chinese.”

Because "Rabbit" received mixed international review -- both the U.S.-based Hollywood Reporter and the Kuala Lumpur's Sun Daily cited technical strengths and plotline weaknesses -- the hopes of Chinese animation are riding on Sun's newest character, Tofu Boy, a good-hearted, but naughty young lad made of bean curd.

Arguing that a good story is not the most important thing in feature-length animation, Tofu Boy's storyline, says Sun, won't be critical to its success.

“A good cartoon first of all has to have a good character that arouses people's emotions," he says. "Years later, we forget about the story, but the characters remain in our consciousness."

One of Sun's collaborators on Tofu Boy, which is set for release in 2014, is American Kevin Geiger, head of Magic Dumpling Entertainment, a Beijing-based animation-content development company with branches in Taipei and Los Angeles.

Tofu Boy's character, says Geiger, will be loosely based on Pinocchio.

“It's not an adaptation of Carlo Collodi's Pinocchio, but inspired by the story of a good little boy who makes bad decisions and learns about life the hard way," he says.

Geiger, who spent 12 years working for the Walt Disney Company in feature animation and visual effects, now prefers to be part of a Chinese entity.

“The advantage we have by having Magic Dumpling in the mainland, being a wholly-owned Chinese company, is that the quotas that apply to Chinese television, to Chinese films, don't apply to Chinese content that we are creating in the Magic Dumpling's headquarters in China," he says.

Historically protective of its own film industry, China recently relaxed annual quotas on the number of foreign films allowed -- from 20 to 34, a gesture welcomed by industry counterparts in the West.

U.S. animation heavyweights Disney and Dreamworks have long been eager to reach Chinese audiences, and recently set up cooperative arrangements with Chinese partners to start taking advantage of what Geiger calls the country's “red hot market.”

Kymus
05-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Appologies if this was already mentioned in the story you posted, Gene, but for those gwai lo like myself that do not speak or read the language of the Middle Kingdom to save their lives, you can find Legend of a Rabbit with subtitles :D. I'll have to check it out!

GeneChing
12-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Wow. This is even more bad than you think it would be. It's almost worth watching because it's such a blatant rip-off of KFP (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?39752-Kung-Fu-Panda) that it becomes funny.

Unfortunately, Jon Heder of ND (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?30868-Napoleon-Dynamite) fame voices Fu the Rabbit in the English translation, and Heder is now on top of the 'actors-I'd-like-to-punch-in-the-nose' list. His voice work just made my more angry. :mad:

I found myself rooting for the evil Panda.

I'm not even going to count this as a 'first review by a forum member' post. It's more like an 'I jumped on a grenade to save you all' post.