PDA

View Full Version : is my training good enough?

EasyNow
10-23-2001, 12:03 AM
I do 100 benche presses and 5000 sit ups in the space of about 30 mins every 2 days. The rest of the time i spend improving my kicks and forms.

Is this good enough to build muscle mass and strengh to the torso??

IronFist
10-23-2001, 01:39 AM
I was going to give a sarcastic responce, but then I thought he might actually be serious.

5000 situps is way too much.

100 bench presses?

This has to be a joke...

Iron

EasyNow
10-23-2001, 01:46 AM
what?

EasyNow
10-23-2001, 01:49 AM
also, I am offended by the fact that you speak of me in 3rd person form.

Kumkuat
10-23-2001, 02:52 AM
Actually, 100 bench isn't that bad. bench around 60% of your 1RM, and do 10 sets of 10 reps. Rest 1.5 minutes between sets. But yeah, 5000 situps is a waste of time.

Oh yeah, add some pull ups. Try doing 10 sets of 10 of those. And add some deadlifts and squats.

Water Dragon
10-23-2001, 03:34 AM
Sounds like a good program. Just make sure you are doing at least bodyweight on the bench. If your doing 4 sets of 25 w/ bodyweight you should be OK.

Instead of 5000 sit ups, you should do 5 sets of 200 rep squats, start off with 150 % body weight and go from there. That will work both your abs and your legs.

good luck

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

honorisc
10-23-2001, 07:11 AM
Not good enough.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

ElPietro
10-23-2001, 03:23 PM
Ok if easynow=noknow=ralek then get the fu(k out of here. If you aren't going to be serious then just stfu. You do 100 bench presses...that's BS, 5000 situps that's more BS. If you want go talk to yourself with your multiple logins in other threads. You cannot physically do 5000 situps in 30 minutes and you can't do 100 reps of bench your muscles would be done way before then...unless you are just using a bar. If you are going to be serious fine...if not...like i said...stfu.

High rep exercises will decrease your power and speed and give you endurance instead. So 100 reps of anything is just wasting your time if that's your goal.

tigerking
10-24-2001, 04:38 AM
Being a personal trainer, I would have to say that 5000 sit ups would be way to much (i don't think that's even possible) Even if you were B.S.ing, I would still say, and many would agree with me that it would be more benefial for your abdominals and lower back if you limited your range to sets of 25-50, done at moderately slow pace with FULL contraction. As for 100 presses on the bench - exactly how much weight are you pushing each rep? and are you talking about 100+ in a row? That really wouldn't do anything but warm up your muscles on ridicoulously light weight. You must train your muscles in accordance to the goals you want to acheive - size? definition? speed? endurance?

IronFist
10-24-2001, 05:47 AM
also, I am offended by the fact that you speak of me in 3rd person form

Whoa, excuse me, turbo. I wasn't talking TO you, I was talking ABOUT you. Therefore, 3rd person was the only appropriate form to use.

Iron

Don't ever challenge me when it comes to linguistics :)

Johnny Hot Shot
10-28-2001, 07:51 PM
Try doing a million Crunches and 100,000 bench presses with at least a ton of weight. Superman. Who are you kidding?

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

CD Lee
10-28-2001, 09:22 PM
If you could do one sit up every single second, never taking a rest, or never getting behind, it would take you 83.3 minutes to actually do the sit ups. Shut the h@ll up and go play on the main forum.

EasyNow
10-29-2001, 08:50 PM
Why did you all start dissing me? I meant to say 500 instead os 5000. I do 10 bench presses with 24kg (You all may find this funny but this is the highest amount i can handle I am only 15 and not well built). Then i do 50 situps to give my arms a rest. I continue this for ten reps.

10 x 10 = 100

10 x 50 = 500

I come to this forum as a total beginer and you just start attacking me. I feel sorry for other beginers like me who come for advice.

As for you IronFist: I think you should start building the muscles in your brain because it's clear to me how much of a ******* moron you are.

oh by the way, I said "of", which means about.

talk of me = talk about me

then you say never challenge your lingustic skills. That just proves how ******* retarded you are.

As for the rest of you that dissed me, I just have two words for you:

"Johnny" and "Bravo"

honorisc
10-29-2001, 09:35 PM
And what since, "easynow=noknow=ralek " =Not True?

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

IronFist
10-29-2001, 10:14 PM
As for you IronFist: I think you should start building the muscles in your brain because it's clear to me how much of a ******* moron you are.

I'm a moron? Which one of us thinks there's muscles in a human brain?

Since you're only 15, I won't be too hard on you.

then you say never challenge your lingustic skills. That just proves how ******* retarded you are.

Ok, 15 year old, "linguistic" means "of and or pertaining to language." Since you accused me of speaking in the wrong person, I gave you proof that I was not, in fact, wrong, which was most definately an issue of linguistics (there's your new word again).

oh by the way, I said "of", which means about.

I know that "of" can mean "about" in some cases. However, my direct quote was: I wasn't talking TO you, I was talking ABOUT you. Therefore, 3rd person was the only appropriate form to use. I wasn't saying you were wrong to use the word "of," I was simply illustrating that I was not talking TO you. It would sound awkward for me to say "I was talking OF you," so I therefore said "I was talking ABOUT you."

As for the rest of you that dissed me, I just have two words for you:
"Johnny" and "Bravo"

What the Ć’uck does that mean? I think you better go back to studying for 9th grade.

If you have serious questions about fitness, please ask them in a serious manner.

Iron

IronFist
10-29-2001, 10:26 PM
Actually, I tell you what. Because you are young and I don't want you to be mislead, I will give you advice anyway.

In my professional opinion, 15 year olds should not be lifting weights. I know a lot of people think and say otherwise, but it's pretty well accepted that those who aren't fully developed yet should stay away from near maximal weights (1RM, which stands for "1 Rep Max", or a weight that is so heavy you can only lift it once). And if you're staying away from near maximal weights, there's not much benefit to be had from lower weights that you couldn't get from or even surpass by doing bodyweight exercises. Here is a sample routine for you that doesn't use weights at all.

Chest, Triceps, Shoulders
Pushups: vary your position. Do, for example, 10 diamond pushups (with your thumbs and index fingers touching directly under your xiphoid process (where your ribs come together). Then, rest a minute or so and do 10 more with your hands at shoulder width apart, rest, and do 10 more with your hands wider than shoulder width. If 10 is too easy, to 20 or 30 in each position.

Back and biceps
You said you are "not well built." I assume that means you're skinny. If you're skinny, you should be able to do pullups without much trouble. Even if you can only squeeze out 1 or 2 or 3, just do a few sets of that many until you improve. You can do them two ways: 1) hands a bit closer than shoulder width apart, with you palms facing you. 2) hands wider than shoulder width, palms away from you. Don't mix those two up. The first way is more biceps, the second way is more back (lats).

legs
I would say Hindu Squats, but I don't know how those would work on someone who hasn't finished growing yet. I guess you could do them, just don't go to failure (failure is when you can't do any more reps).

You can find a description of Hindu Squats here (http://www.mattfurey.com/conditioning_book.html)
And a pictureHere (http://www.mattfurey.com/exercises.html)

Iron

CD Lee
10-29-2001, 11:18 PM
Ok, ok...Easynow, easydoesit.

There is a friggin TROLL invasion going on here, and then you come onto a pretty serious forum and state you can do 5000 sit ups + 100 benchpresses in 30 minutes. WTF are we supossed to think???

YOU are the one who posted the bad information, which if you look at it in our shoes, is like calling us all morons who can't do math. Let me give you an example. One sit up a second, nets you 1800 in a 30 minute time frame. Think about your posted claim. What were we really supposed to think about that? Plus, RALEK all of a sudden was nowhere to be found on the forum. Hey, give us old ****s a break.

Now, I'll give you the befefit of the doubt. Don't run away with your football to mommy. Post your quesiton again accurately and see if these guys do not have your best interests in mind.

Water Dragon
10-29-2001, 11:38 PM
Johnny Bravo Rocks!!!!

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Kumkuat
10-30-2001, 04:14 AM
actually, as I mentioned eariler, 100 bench presses in 30 minutes is possible. 10 sets of 10 reps. This is known as German volumn training. It is used mainly for hypertrophy. 60% of your one rep max, rest 1.5 minutes between each set. Try it, it's pretty fun. Here are some websites about it

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/gvt.html
http://www.sover.net/~timw/gvt.htm
http://www.stumptuous.com/training.html

CD Lee
10-30-2001, 06:34 PM
When I was a scrawny 7th grader, 14 or 15 yrs old, I remember benching 70 lbs on a weight machine. I was about the weakest kid in football. I started lifting weights, and I became a lot stronger very quicly. Withing a year and a half, I could bench press the entire machine at 290 lbs. I don't think that is too young to start lifting wieghts. I became the strongest guy in school that next year, and did some bodybuilding for years afterwards. I have never lost my muscular build even now at 35. I do not look like a bodybuilder either.

I know it can be overdone, but if you are lifting weights at a younger age, and you start getting good results, then I think it is ok, as long as you don't go crazy. I was a scrawny wimp! I had to do something, and I did. I could run 1.5 miles in 7:15 at the same time (ok, I ran track too).

My point is that I was fast and strong, and I felt great about myself. That is when I got into martial arts, and nobody messed with me after that. Plus, I was not an @sshole.

ElPietro
10-30-2001, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>actually, as I mentioned eariler, 100 bench presses in 30 minutes is possible. 10 sets of 10 reps. This is known as German volumn training. It is used mainly for hypertrophy. 60% of your one rep max, rest 1.5 minutes between each set. [/quote]

I dare you to even try doing what you just said. Hypertrophy?...more like atrophy. I didn't go to the websites because some things you just know and no matter how professional a website may appear there is still so much crap on the net that I don't know why people quote verbatim so much. All you'd be doing with that exercise is overtraining and you'd have almost no gains after your 4th or 5th set, so the other five which you couldn't do anyway at 60% of your max would just be pointless and a waste of time.

Sorry this isn't a flame just some common sense. Don't use that form of exercise unless you want to be wasting triple the time you'd normally take to workout. If you think about it, most people will do 2-3 exercises per bodypart, if you combine 2 musclegroups than that's 4-6 exercises, which equates to about 3 hours if you allow time for moving weights around loading bars etc. Also it would mean you are doing 40-60 sets and 400-600 reps. I think if you suggested this to a serious bodybuilder they would just slap you. :D

IronFist
10-30-2001, 09:28 PM
I know it can be overdone, but if you are lifting weights at a younger age, and you start getting good results, then I think it is ok, as long as you don't go crazy. I was a scrawny wimp!

CD Lee, what I said was younger people should avoid lifting near maximal weights. Therefore, they will be lifting lighter weights, which when younger, relatively speaking, is no more effective than bodyweight exercises a la the routine I provided above.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Iron

IronFist
10-30-2001, 09:31 PM
El Pietro, I think German Volume Training is only on muscle group at a time. You don't to 10x10 for each muscle per workout. It would be something like this:

Get to gym,
Bench 10 x 10
Done with chest,
some optional tricep work, which they suggested as 2 or 3 sets of 10-12.
Go home from gym.

There's no 300 reps or whatever you were talking about.

I don't know tho, I've never done GVT before.

Iron

CD Lee
10-31-2001, 12:13 AM
Opps! Looks like I got away with it, but I would take your advice as well on doing heavy weight work if I were a teenager. I did get stronger and stronger, but I only did a few big max weight things. I could never avoid shoulder injuries when I was weight training. Besides, when I could bench press 280 lbs and squat 300 with Olympic style free-weights, I had a friend who was 6'4, 255, who could not bench or squat all that weight or even close. He used to get so mad about it. I can assure you this guy was much stronger than me! I was 5'9 162 lbs at the time...He could pick me up in the air, and throw me around like a rag doll!!

In all honesty I do not recommend power training as a heatlthy practice. I tried it and I don't think it gains you very much as a person. Today, all I do is push-ups,sit-ups,body squats and running/tennis. I am going to add the Kung Fu forms soon enough. Right now I am practicing stancework and stepping, which takes more energy than I thought originally

ElPietro
10-31-2001, 04:23 PM
GVT still seems dumb in the extreme to me.

soy
11-04-2001, 12:31 AM
you all = owned

IronFist
11-04-2001, 12:43 AM
what are you talking about soy?

Iron