PDA

View Full Version : Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut

BukSing
07-16-2001, 04:23 AM
I am interested in contacting anyone who has had training or has knowledge of the Buk Sing system of Choy Lay Fut.

Nope

nospam
07-16-2001, 06:20 PM
I teach Bak Hsing (Choy Lee) Fut Gar. See my bio for more info..

nospam.

BukSing
07-17-2001, 03:42 AM
I recognize a web-site that was entitled Bak Hsing Fut Gar, which explained some background history that Tam Sam the founder of the Buk Sing system of Choy Lay Fut, apparently intended to call the system "Bak Hsing Fut Gar." The web-site buksing.com is a very comprhensive site in regards to this system of Choy Lay Fut. In it there is an extended history about Tam Sam which explains that he used to say that his system was "Fut Gar." Inspite of this, he eventually called it Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut. I just find this intriguing, not that a name should be such a huge subject matter, but rather attemtping to discover the influences which evolved through the system, besides the obvious being the Bak Sil Lum system from Ku Yu Cheong.

Nope

aussie1981
07-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Has there ever been an article or will there ever be an article on this branch in the magazine? only ever seen Hung Sing. Would make for a great read as there is alot of top rate masters on the West coast of your country eg, Lacey's, Lai hung.....:cool:

GeneChing
07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
There's this one from our e-zine: Sifu - The Hong Kong Perception: Exploring the depths of a man's kung fu ability (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=396) by Phil Duffy

aussie1981
07-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Can BSCLF write.... ha ha, i'm not to sure about that one mate. Cheer's for the link.

Dr.Rob
07-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I know I was surprised as well.?

Phil can write fine.:D He is quite the marvel, that man.. He is one of my brother Sifu Wan Kei Ho students.

GeneChing
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I met them only once face-to-face in China. See Shaolin Trips: Episode 4 - A Hero Watching the Formation: Chapter Two (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=580). :cool:

GeneChing
09-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Interview with Grandmaster Chiu Kwok-Chung (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=996)by Len Epp

hskwarrior
09-22-2011, 12:01 PM
where's the article.....the link shows a blank white section

extrajoseph
09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
There's this one from our e-zine: Sifu - The Hong Kong Perception: Exploring the depths of a man's kung fu ability (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=396) by Phil Duffy

"Sifu took the lesson further and produced a wooden chopstick, passing it to me. I checked it and it seemed genuine enough. He then asked me to try and break it by placing each end of the chopstick into my two palms and forcing my hands together. I pushed hard, but it wasn't going to break. Before that happened I was convinced it would spear through my palms. He told me to press harder, but the pain stopped me. He took the chopstick from me, added a second and placed them both against his throat, his palm held flat against the other ends. I could see what was going to happen and feverishly tried to convince him it wasn't necessary on my behalf. Sifu just smiled and continued talking in a relaxed manner, ignoring my protests. Again no obvious tension existed as his free hand came up and smashed the back of his supporting hand, the chopsticks instantly caved under the stress and fell to the ground in splinters, his throat remained undamaged. I stood there transfixed, unable to believe that someone had risked becoming a living Shish Kebab in order to demonstrate the power of this thing called qi."

Ahhh, that chopstick to the throat trick, another Gweilo bites the dust!

GeneChing
09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
where's the article.....the link shows a blank white sectionSorry, there was a little technical glitch. Try it now.

Dr.Rob
09-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Thank you Mr Ching, for printing the interview with my Sifu. In it's entirety.

hskwarrior
09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
works now :D

Doc Rob,

was that your sifu with the Bench? Man i like the size of that bench too.

Dr.Rob
09-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Yup, should see him with a Kwan do. He is like fighting a fire hydrant. Solid.

Fut Gar Phil and I are related. His Sifu, Wan is one my oldest brothers. Loads of respect.

hskwarrior
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Yup, should see him with a Kwan do. He is like fighting a fire hydrant. Solid.

no video??????

Dr.Rob
09-22-2011, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bumK7tppEuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmg9hq7XyM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

hskwarrior
09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
now thats what im talking about .....very nice.

Dr.Rob
09-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Not sure how your Cantonese is...
Here is an interview with my dragon Sifu Lai Wing Yuk and Chuu Sifu together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&hl=zh-TW&v=fdD9uc9ekww

hskwarrior
09-22-2011, 03:42 PM
all i can say in cantonese is Ngoh Hei May Gwok Yahn....lol

and Chee Saw :D

Northwind
09-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Do you any of you guys have any detailed info about the Gu Yu Cheong/Ku Yu Chang (whatever spelling) from BSL's notoriety connection?

I know a lil bit, but considering I teach BSL, but my bro teaches Hung Sing CLF literally at the same time and place as I, it would be nice to know more :)

jdhowland
09-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Do you any of you guys have any detailed info about the Gu Yu Cheong/Ku Yu Chang (whatever spelling) from BSL's notoriety connection?

No detailed info. My teacher, a student of Tam Fei Pang, suggested that Tam Sam and Ku were friends and that they shared students but it's difficult to see the influence in Tam's Bak Sing style. Lai Hung might have a different opinion as he teaches both styles.

Northwind
09-23-2011, 07:09 PM
No detailed info. My teacher, a student of Tam Fei Pang, suggested that Tam Sam and Ku were friends and that they shared students but it's difficult to see the influence in Tam's Bak Sing style. Lai Hung might have a different opinion as he teaches both styles.

Thanks for the reply jdhowland. Yeah, that's about all I have for info too.

I'd love to learn what crossover there was. For example, in our system our Tan Tui is kinda grandfather, so you see pieces of it scattered throughout even "pure" bsl forms, plus there are some movements (with apps of course) that are basically "shout-outs" to other styles due to...? respect, training, friendships, history, etc.

But since I know zero clf, I can tell whatsoever. :(

CLFNole
09-23-2011, 08:50 PM
I believe there was an exchange of 5 students each. I can't recall all the names but I know Kong On was one of the buk sing students and Lung Tse Cheung one of the buk siu lum students.

Dr.Rob
09-24-2011, 04:08 AM
The "version" I heard? Got to try and remember where I read it??

Tarm Saam set up a school with a banner at the front door. " all styles of martial arts, sit under the foot of Choy Lay Fut!" Ku Yu Cheung did not like that at all. So he showed up and challenged.

The fight was apparently quite involved and time consuming. Or horribly exaggerated? It ended in a draw, regardless. Both sides felt there was something to learn from the other. So an exchange program was set up. 6 students from either school traded spots.

That is the explanation why Buk Sil Lum is taught before the 3 CLF hand forms.

I will go digging...I have the book somewhere in my pile and see if I find the details. But in reality none of us were there, and martial history doesn't age well.

CLFNole
09-24-2011, 08:33 AM
The challenge from what I was told was a story and that the two had mutual respect for each other and actually never fought. Who knows really; however your story would have made for a good Shaw Brothers movie :D

Dr.Rob
09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
too true...