PDA

View Full Version : Philipp Bayer article

k gledhill
07-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Siu Lim Tau
One starts with the 1st form and should round it out relatively good already. The main subject is the elbow. The idea about the usage of the elbow should be explained again and again, what you are thinking of while doing the form is important.

Dahn Chi
Next step is Dahn Chi - to go in a distance, in which one cannot touch each other, but not too far. In this phase the elbow is the most important subject. The arms of both practitioners do not apply any pressure in no direction.
Palm strike from the elbow.
Opposite does JamSau, elbow goes to the inside and lowers, but not the wrist! The palm-striker lets himself get deflected and stops after a full stretch with a slightly bent elbow. Fist strike from the opposite with a low elbow until fully stretched, other person with Bong Sau, rotation without big change in wrist positon...

Poon Sao
follows as next exercise. After Dan Chi runs super, coordination of both arms is no big problem anymore. The exchange of force is the most important in the beginning... here has to come structure into the body, so that a good training partner is being "created". Next procedure is the flowing change of sides whithout loosing any exchange of force...

With regular training 8hrs a week, there shouldn´t have passed more than 3 months!

Question from Eric Lornz to Philipp Bayer:

Does it make sense to mediate Chi Sao to a student who is not yet able to perform Dahn Chi?

Philipp Bayer replies:

Without Dahn Chi it is exraordinarily difficult to begin Pohn Sao and even more Chi Sao... there are always exeptions, but in this field very very rarely.

Training with the punching pad
When the elbow develops in the right way through SiuLimTao, the Dahn Chi and Pohn Sao one should begin training with the punching pad, so that also impulse-like force acts on the line of force (elbow, hips, leg, foot). Through training with the punching pad the body is given a feedback, which significantly improves striking force. The punches are not allowed to be "set up" but have to come out of the elbow and butt. Fequent mistake: Hitting from the upper body.

Chum Kiu and Mok Jan Chong
If Pohn Sao is good one starts with the Cham Kiu.. I teach it at once until just before the last kick.. so don't divide it in thirds.
Thus body rotations, turns with Bong Wu, synchronicity of Jat and Pak, steps and rotation of the Bong Sao.

The important points of the Chum Kiu:
At first, our "first idea" is everywhere: The chain of force from the ground to the punch.
Use your hip in the 180° turns and watch the foot positioning. Short turning durations, that means strong rotation around the axis of the body, train for balance which is necessary to have during changes in direction! Bong and Wu Sao have to become a unit, so that punching during Bong becomes possible (Kwan Sao). Through explosive turning around the axis, high accelerating forces will occur. Overshooting with the arms can happen quickly. Do not forget about the elbow. The 2nd form has many possibilities to minimize these errors... But without the wooden dummy that won´t suffice. Synchronicity of movement, of fist strike with the shock-like Jut and Pak, comply with the elbow positions and height of the arms is already included in the first movements of the Chum Kiu.

Question from 'rnr' to Philipp Bayer:

What do you mean by taining with the punching pad? Do you mean the wallbag or do you also work with paws as soon as Pohn Sao is working to some extent? Striking from more disadvantageous positions as they (can) occur in training with paws, is included, as far as I can survey this, rather in the Chum Kiu. What do you mean with "setting up" a strike? That the target is pushed (with action of the upper body) after contact with the fist is established?

Philipp Bayer replies:

I mean the wall punching pad. It´s hard to believe that in WT one almost only "bangs around" in the air. Countless bursts of chain punches in the air. If one thinks about how often we don´t really hit (which at the end is logical), in addition the strikes in the forms, one can calculate how little one really understands about real striking. To perform a strike in the form in order to maintain and to define a pattern in the brain is one thing - to use this pattern in reality is another. Body and mind are needed here, otherwise it stays castles in the air.

I had somebody here yesterday who practiced WT for 5 years (he quit today) and in the pure meaning of the way of speaking can not even hurt a fly. He wasn´t even aware of it.... how was that again with the self conciousness ?!? At least about one thing he became aware of, everyone who belongs to a boxing club and trains about as intense as himself can hit - why is that? Exactly, they hit aigainst sandbags and also elsewise, they hit for real! Their bodies have learned to develop the muscles needed to unfold force and even more, alongside the eyes have learned, a feeling about distance has developed just like that - namely through pratice!

You know the game of LatSao-CheckChung. Invest a little more time into exercise, go ahead and every once in a while almost exclusively train punching for a week... LatSauCheckChung to develop more precision and initial energy... guaranteed, from nothing there comes out even less!

Ok... so far to the extraordinarily important training with the punching pad.

Cutting off the way

is one of the objectives which passes over into the body through training with the dummy, in ChiSau and in the 2nd form. One of the big problems in fighting is represented by managing to safely pursue the opponent. The one who doesn´t have the cutting-off-the-way "in his blood" is in danger of running into the attacks of the evading opponent since he´s only chasing him - but not restricting him, respectively not being able to immediately shorten the distance. Until now I found out that in WT out of fear one even searches and wants to control the leg of the opponent. Exaclty this is the first step on the endless woodway. Through intending to stick to the leg one restricts himself far too much... the one who wants to control wil loose all!

If one wants to condition the right stepping technique, suficcient methods are being held ready in Ving Tsun. Only to name a few:

... almost all sections (exepting kicking sections) train this step. Attend to pertinently rush into the wooden dummy's leg... exactly as strong as the corresponding movement of the arm - AND! Full rotating in with the hip. Always think of the whole body having to be trained, so to speak the whole body has to arrive as one compact unit. Training of the first 5 sections is actually mandatory at each day of training, even if it is only once or twice!

Next there is the part in the ChumKiu (Bong/Wu sidestep), here again, finish up with everything alltogether, again this means Bong/Wu with step as a unit. Make yourself clear that Bong and Wu think in the same direction - not Bong forward and Wu backwards!

In addition, Wong taught me this step in an exercise much beloved by me in ChiSau or LapSau. He suddenly moved away sidewards while he lightly hit me in the lower side ... nevertheless only indicated. I had to close the gap through Jut, fiststrike and sidestep. This way you get rid of the on the one hand "natural" reaction to evade the punch and because of this only running after him, on the other hand this develops the focus which is necessary to attack and not to defend after all. As soon as one is fast enough and has success, he is becoming more and more secure. After some time, this practice of step technique implements itself into almost every exercise automatically... without thinking.

Besides that I saw some different stepping technique barely two hours ago which likewise impressed me.... it were lightly dressed brazilian legs indeed.... alas, the whole thing was called Samba Tongue.

Sean66
07-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Thanks for posting this, Kev. You beat me to it!

Here are a few more words from a German martial arts forum (Kampfkunstboard) where Philipp offers a clear, simple explanation of the Lap Sao/Chi Sao cycle, and why we should’nt attempt to integrate punching techniques from other styles in this ving tsun specific exercise. He also talks a bit about why we don’t focus on hitting our training partners with 100 percent force during the exercise.

« Lap Sao, for example, serves to improve the coordination between the Jut and the vertical punch. The coordination between hips, elbows and the pull, moreover, serves the goal of bringing the power of the entire body behind one’s punches….necessary training especially for people of « weaker » stature.

At the same time we are training the ability to change or switch…if our attack is met with an obstacle or diverted, we seek to continue it. We are also learning about Bong Sao, which must be able to deflect like a Pak or Jut and be ready to punch, like Wu.

During the transitions (from Lap Sao) into Chi Sao I exchange forces with my student…each uses the force issuing from the other and re-directs it toward the ground, thereby building the necessary muscle connections (structure) for punching. Simultaneously, the powerful influence of these forces trains the upright position and balance. Punching speed is also enhanced through the correct exchange of force – which is important for short-distance punching (Lat Sau Chek Chung). In other words, we are primarily training our « punching source/structure »….and this we can not do with punching methods from other styles…not that easy to hear !

In Lap Sao / Chi Sao we avoid punching at our partners with full force for a very simple reason. The un-natural quality of the Ving Tsun punch (referring to the position of the elbow), the short distance involved, etc., require constant repitition as a conditioned behavior can be lost again relatively quickly. Consider the fact that, 24 hours a day, one has the elbows out, in other words in an un-typical Ving Tsun position. Training the elbows 2x a week for 5 minutes in the first form isn’t enough. It's a simple case of repetition/conditioning and has nothing to do with punching someones face in, and can not be learned with attacks from other styles.
Attacks from other styles have, in this part of Ving Tsun training, no place. »

-Philipp Bayer

Frost
07-24-2011, 11:10 AM
any clips of Bayers guys fighting other styles as this seems to be what WSL advocated strongly?

Sean66
07-24-2011, 02:29 PM
I know that several of Philipp's students have entered mma events in Germany, but I don't know if there are any clips up on the web.
Ferdi Cakici, who is a student of Philipp's, put up a clip of one of his students in his first fight. I think the guy (in the red trunks) was relatively unprepared going into the ring, and he lost. But he showed a lot of heart and I'm sure he'll prepare harder for his next fight. Here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCv7ahamw7k

Frost
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
thanks and props to the guy...but thats it...all this talk about how superior Bayers system is...and thats the only clip

yes he was young but his punches lacked any bite, his chin was up and all he really did was run straight forward

Sean66
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Like I said, the guy had only been training for a short while and was unprepared. His trainer told him it probably wasn't a good idea to do the fight, but he insisted and did the best he could.

And I think if he continues to train hard and test his skills, he will be able to effectively use more of the subtleties of the system, instead of, as you said, running straight forward all the time.

I might add that he didn't step into the ring with the intention of "representing" a style, but of representing himself, which is in the end what it all comes down to.

anerlich
07-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I might add that he didn't step into the ring with the intention of "representing" a style, but of representing himself, which is in the end what it all comes down to.

True, but I predict that if he'd won, all the Bayerites here would be treating as absolute proof of their system's superiority, and go telling it on the mountain long and loud.

Though they wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

Frost
07-28-2011, 03:44 PM
True, but I predict that if he'd won, all the Bayerites here would be treating as absolute proof of their system's superiority, and go telling it on the mountain long and loud.

this............... i like how they push his style as the ultimate version, the real fighting art...yet go all quiet when asked for videos of sparring...let alone actual fights....i mean isnt that what WSL said to do, to go out and fight :confused:

Buddha_Fist
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM

Assumption and generalization. Philipp speaks for himself - just as you do. Kevin's thoughts and skills are his own. Same with Graham or any other.

anerlich
07-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Assumption and generalization.

No kidding. I guess we'll have to wait until after the first win (should it occur) to determine whether it was accurate or not.

Philipp speaks for himself - just as you do. Kevin's thoughts and skills are his own. Same with Graham or any other.

I am in awe of all these gentlemen's posting skills and even more so of your deep insights into the human psyche.

Graham H
07-29-2011, 04:59 AM
this............... i like how they push his style as the ultimate version, the real fighting art...yet go all quiet when asked for videos of sparring...let alone actual fights....i mean isnt that what WSL said to do, to go out and fight :confused:

....bit like you then really!! lol

GH

Frost
07-29-2011, 05:01 AM
....bit like you then really!! lol

GH

I grapple these days and ive posted a clip of me in comp doing that, i can also post clips of guys i train with in MMA comp all the way up to the UFC...so what about you let see your school in action......................:rolleyes:

Graham H
07-29-2011, 05:04 AM

Can you predict the lottery numbers for me mate? You seem to have a real talent for it. I'll share the winnings with you because I could afford to come to your school and stamp all over your head once the money has been handed over. On top of the pound notes of course! I wouldnt want to smudge you lipstick! He he he! :D

GH

Graham H
07-29-2011, 05:16 AM
I grapple these days and ive posted a clip of me in comp doing that, i can also post clips of guys i train with in MMA comp all the way up to the UFC...so what about you let see your school in action......................:rolleyes:

I dont have a school. I used to but WC schools seem to attract mostly muppets so I took the private route. Then I can weed out all the nonsense. If you are doing MMA then I would guess that your WC isnt too good. This is why people cross train. Wing Chun just generally cant stand up to women with handbags!

I admire guys that do MMA because they train to fight like boxers do. Doesnt mean all MMA fighters are tough. It all comes down to the individual! In my lineage the training is also tough. Havent seen any MMA guys in it though. Maybe they are all to tough for Ving Tsun. lol

I saw a local MMA guy get duffed up by a drunk monkey not so long back. He doesnt do MMA anymore because he thinks it dont work!

Styles mean nothing! In real life its the guys that dont mnd tearing peoples heads off and then eating them that can fight... MMA or WC makes no difference if you are a bum!

So one guy loses a fight....so what?? as long as he still wakes up with no serious life threatening injuries then maybe he will try harder next time or quit. We aint superheroes!

Why would I want to see you grapple dude??? This is a WC joke forum full of jokers and I like to joke!

GH

Frost
07-29-2011, 05:23 AM
Have you taken your meds today

All you do is argue style is important (or should I say bayers style is all important)

Ill make it very simply for you….. you and Kevin like to talk about how everyone else is training the wrong stuff and how great Bayers stuff is, how life changing it is to train with him….

Yet neither of you can put up a single clip showing why its so different when it actually matters IE in a fight, and the only clip we have been shown is of a newbie losing and not looking great

Now since Bayers lineage comes from WSL, a man known for fighting and saying you have to fight to learn how to use your wing chun, I find it a bit strange that all you guys can do is talk a good fight ……………

Graham H
07-29-2011, 05:43 AM
Have you taken your meds today

All you do is argue style is important (or should I say bayers style is all important)

Ill make it very simply for you….. you and Kevin like to talk about how everyone else is training the wrong stuff and how great Bayers stuff is, how life changing it is to train with him….

Yet neither of you can put up a single clip showing why its so different when it actually matters IE in a fight, and the only clip we have been shown is of a newbie losing and not looking great

Now since Bayers lineage comes from WSL, a man known for fighting and saying you have to fight to learn how to use your wing chun, I find it a bit strange that all you guys can do is talk a good fight ……………

Yes I had to take a Prozac after reading your posts! Arguing am I??? No just stating a fact. Another fact is that I consider you to be just another bag of wind because still to this date only one person has gone to PB out of curiosity from this forum. He left his old lineage as well like myself and Kevin did! You live in the UK right??? £60 return from Luton! Go make your own assumptions after experiancing it yourself or are you just going to carry on depressing me with your nonsense you mug!!

Toodle pip!

GH

Graham H
07-29-2011, 05:46 AM
I'll write your answer for you....................

"Why would I want to go to Germany? I'm happy with my style and training! If you and Kevin are anything to go by then I don't want to go!" wimper wimper boo hoo! :rolleyes:

GH

anerlich
07-29-2011, 05:46 AM
I'll share the winnings with you because I could afford to come to your school and stamp all over your head once the money has been handed over.

You're generous. Unreasonably confident, but generous.

Graham H
07-29-2011, 05:52 AM
You're generous. Unreasonably confident, but generous.

Unreasonably confident? :D

GH

Frost
07-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Bag of wind, coming from a guy who wont post a single clip of him or his teracher in action.. whats that old saying…pot and kettle?

Graham H
07-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Bag of wind, coming from a guy who wont post a single clip of him or his teracher in action.. whats that old saying…pot and kettle?

Loads of clips of my Teacher on t'internet and a few of me that don't contain grappling so you wont be interested! Maybe you can find it and say comment how bad it is below. I'll keep an eye out for you chilly! ;)

GH

Graham H
07-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Pot and kettle??? AAhhhh ya big racist! :D

GH

Frost
07-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Loads of clips of my Teacher on t'internet and a few of me that don't contain grappling so you wont be interested! Maybe you can find it and say comment how bad it is below. I'll keep an eye out for you chilly! ;)

GH

You mean actual sparring,. or even gulp fighting clips….not structure testing or chi sao stuff but actual honest to goodness full contact non compliant fighting clips………..if so please post a link would love to see :D

Graham H
07-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Ok you want to see me in "non compliant fighting"......no problem!!! I'm the one on the left btw!

Enjoy Frosty!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9pIuJ0gCgk

GH

Sean66
07-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Frost,

If you live in the UK then it would be well worth the travel expenses to actually go down to Menden and visit Philipp. Although a fighter by nature he's also a great guy and I'm sure that he'd be more than happy to explain and show his ving tsun to you.

The fact that there aren't any clips on the internet showing Philipp or one of his students defeating someone in a fight or fighting event can not be taken as "proof" that these people do not know how to use their ving tsun effectively for fighting.

Of course, in the Youtube Era people are constantly looking for validation in internet videos. How many times have we heard: "if you don't post a video, it didn't happen."?
It's a sickness, really.

Graham H
07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Frost,

If you live in the UK then it would be well worth the travel expenses to actually go down to Menden and visit Philipp. Although a fighter by nature he's also a great guy and I'm sure that he'd be more than happy to explain and show his ving tsun to you.

The fact that there aren't any clips on the internet showing Philipp or one of his students defeating someone in a fight or fighting event can not be taken as "proof" that these people do not know how to use their ving tsun effectively for fighting.

Of course, in the Youtube Era people are constantly looking for validation in internet videos. How many times have we heard: "if you don't post a video, it didn't happen."?
It's a sickness, really.

Good point Sean!!!

It amuses me how people try to make judgements via YouTube. Up until I met Philipp I was told bad things about him by my old teacher! So I did what people on this chat show will not do.....I made the journey to see for myself and PB turned my whole idea of Ving Tsun on its head just as WSL did to PB way back in the day when he began his journey.

So that video was just what people were waiting for and if its put people off then its a good thing because like Philipp says...we need to keep the fools away!! lol

GH

Frost
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Ok you want to see me in "non compliant fighting"......no problem!!! I'm the one on the left btw!

Enjoy Frosty!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9pIuJ0gCgk

GH

you know i got home from training and put this and an thought at last one of them has actually backed their mouth boxing up with some real proof....my bad :D

Graham H
07-29-2011, 01:38 PM
you know i got home from training and put this and an thought at last one of them has actually backed their mouth boxing up with some real proof....my bad :D

What proof are u looking for? Come round my yard for proof and lay off the internet!

Dave P
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Hey Graham, just quit trying to convince the guy that doesn't want to be convinced. It's a waste of time. Reading this threat, anyway proofs to me that the he doesn't even have the right attitude and mindset for WSL-PHBVT.

BTW.... Who let the dogs out?

anerlich
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Reading this threat, anyway proofs to me that the he doesn't even have the right attitude and mindset for WSL-PHBVT.

A point in his favour.

k gledhill
08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey Graham, just quit trying to convince the guy that doesn't want to be convinced. It's a waste of time. Reading this threat, anyway proofs to me that the he doesn't even have the right attitude and mindset for WSL-PHBVT.

BTW.... Who let the dogs out?

Dave P in da house ! :D

WC1277
08-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Well the choice of fraternity house white boy wannabe references definitely makes me glad I'm no part of WSL-PB! Truly the jocks of Wing Chun Gung Fu....... oh wait, I'm sorry, you guys have a cool slang name too, Ving Tsun Kung Fu...... :rolleyes:

k gledhill
08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Well the choice of fraternity house white boy wannabe references definitely makes me glad I'm no part of WSL-PB! Truly the jocks of Wing Chun Gung Fu....... oh wait, I'm sorry, you guys have a cool slang name too, Ving Tsun Kung Fu...... :rolleyes:

So how's your pak sao training going ? :D does it work yet ? :D:D

WC1277
08-02-2011, 02:20 AM
So how's your pak sao training going ? :D does it work yet ? :D:D

Works fine, Thanks!

k gledhill
08-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Works fine, Thanks!

A lot of people think otherwise....;)

WC1277
08-02-2011, 08:25 AM
A lot of people think otherwise....;)

Oh yeah, I forgot, you're the smart guy who for some reason thinks I'm in that video....

k gledhill
08-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, you're the smart guy who for some reason thinks I'm in that video....

No, you said it was not you when lots of guys replied it sux :D distanced yourself.....;)

WC1277
08-02-2011, 01:58 PM
No, you said it was not you when lots of guys replied it sux :D distanced yourself.....;)

You got me! You're so smart! No, that's ed and one of his students. I know you're wishing it was me though so that you can see the face that laughs at your ignorance...
. Better luck next time big guy....

k gledhill
08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
You got me! You're so smart! No, that's ed and one of his students. I know you're wishing it was me though so that you can see the face that laughs at your ignorance...
. Better luck next time big guy....

My ignorance, classic :D

WC1277
08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
My ignorance, classic :D

Should I rephrase? Ok.... the face of the guy who has no respect for you...
. I like the way that sounds better, you're right!

k gledhill
08-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Should I rephrase? Ok.... the face of the guy who has no respect for you...
. I like the way that sounds better, you're right!

Like your respect is worth ...? your ego becomes you ;)

WC1277
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Like your respect is worth ...? your ego becomes you ;)

Not ego, I'm tired of people, including chunners....

Dave P
08-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Dave P in da house ! :D

Hey there Kev.... WTH is going on here?
People are ignorant, but want to stay ignorant, so leave 'em ignorant....

Dave P
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
...you guys have a cool slang name too, Ving Tsun Kung Fu...... :rolleyes:

And, what planet are you from? :rolleyes:

Dave P
08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
BTW: That Pak Sau came from the hand... and is more applied like a Man Sau... It will never work if applied like this, thinking starts with the elbow....

Basic drill already is wrong thinking IMO. Pak Sau is not just waiting and a soft slap...

Graham H
08-07-2011, 04:06 AM
definitely makes me glad I'm no part of WSL-PB!

I'm glad you're no part of it as well! ;):p

GH

Sean66
08-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Hey Dave,

Didn't we meet at a workshop you gave in Belgium a few years ago?

Dave P
08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Yep, that's me ;-)

Sean66
08-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Cool! Nice to have you on the forum!
If you're ever in Lille swing on by....beer's on me!

Dave P
08-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the invitation. I will. I'm on this forum for a very long time and only sometimes I write something. Usually I find the interesting topics very tedious...and with a totally different attitude than Europe...

bennyvt
08-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Hey Dave
Hope that conference goes well one of our guys should be there.