PDA

View Full Version : I want to start working harder.

Scott
01-24-2001, 03:03 AM
After this Saturday. I've been slacking off for the last few months, time for a Kung Fu revival. I want to start more conditioning and alot more Chin Na/Wing Chun practice. What I want is for one of YOU to design for me a intense but not over 30/45 minute practice for me to do every day. If I design it myself I'll slack off. Sounds wierd, I know. Do it if ya want =)

-Scott

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

nospam
01-25-2001, 05:06 AM
Do about 15 minutes of stance work that includes both stationary and mobility drills. Then perform, not practise, perform your first pattern 4 different ways. First, do just the foot work of the pattern. No hand movements, place them on your hip or have them at ready. Second, do each move individually fast and powerfully, but wait on a 3 second count prior to engaging the next move. Thirdly, perform each line as one move or thereabouts, depending on the reasonableness, perhaps breaking long one-liners into several phrases, so to speak. Fourthly, sitting down immediately after performing the Third way, work on regaining your breath control (whatever means). Once you have, then start at the beginning, but this time go through the moves mentally. Here, you will most likely need to practise, not perform the movements of your pattern work.

Of course, because you are performing your pattern, you can not stop, nor correct your moves. Intensity and movement must be optimal, otherwise you are simply waisting your time and you might as well take up Chinese checkers or brew a huge pot of green tea and ponder the mystery of daily navel lint for 45 minutes each day for 45 days. Then..start over.

shinji
01-26-2001, 07:07 PM
That is a good workout. I would only add two things--practicing basics for 15 minutes or so. And two--during the second set, when you are holding, think about sinking. This a great way to start focusing on sinking your chi during forms. In my class, we start doing this at about 3 seconds and then increase to 5 or more seconds. Very good for stances, good for sinking chi too.

Kung Lek
01-26-2001, 07:15 PM
Scott-

If you want to solve a problem you have to solve it at the root and not on the surface or it will appear and reappear.

If you are slacking off, then what advice can be given you to stop this behaviour in yourself.
Laziness is self admittedly your issue here.

You have been given good advice from the above posters, but you must solve your problem outside of your training regimen and when you have done that your training and path will improve.

peace

Kung Lek

HuangKaiVun
01-27-2001, 04:24 AM
Kung Lek has great advice up there.

Scott
01-27-2001, 09:39 AM
Thanks Kung =) I know. I guess I'm still skirting the issue.

-Scott.

"You have to consider the possibility that god does not like you; he never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. It is not until we have lost everything that we can do anything."

Taijimantis
01-27-2001, 06:23 PM
What can we design?
Discipline is something you have to get for yourself. No one else can give it to you.

joedoe
02-08-2001, 02:05 PM
I understand your problem. I occasionally suffer from lack of motivation too 8^).

Self discipline is a major part of many kung fu styles. Beginners are given the discipline by instructors first, but once they have advanced are expected to have the discipline to maintain their level of proficiency.

Having said that, I know how hard that can be especially when you have other things you have to do as well i.e. work.

I don't know how long you have trained for, but I find that if I consider how much effort I have put into training in the past, and how much of a waste it is for me to sit there and not continue, it usually motivates me to get back into training. I also find a little bit of competetiveness helps too 8^). Try and be better than the next guy, or even yourself as you were when you were training before.

3BladesFighter
02-11-2001, 02:44 AM
I do this as much as I can.

First, get into a comfortable position and conjure up one reason to keep motivated, a reason for practice. Second, gather all emotional energies, good and bad into your Dan Tian, or 1 and a half inch below your navel. Finally, with all that, feel heat and allow it to flow through your meridians like Chi, but imagine it as a turbulent, but beautiful river, conditioning your internal body for discipline. ( My master taught me this exercise before he died.)

Hope you enjoy it!!!

"Build from the past, live in the present, and ignore the future. What you do now determines what happens later" -Phoenix

joedoe
02-11-2001, 06:21 AM
Might try that sometime.