PDA

View Full Version : TAe Kwon Do a viable add on?

Mattador
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
EveryOne always makes fun of tkd. Does anyone here believe tkd is a good add ok for Kung Fu or mma even?

Do full contact tkd matches equal mma full contact?

Lucas
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
well since they are tdk matches and not mma matches no. they arent the same thing. and yes tkd is a viable option for striking as long as you remain realistic to your goals. ive met some seriously tough tdk guys with lightning fast kicks that hit very hard.

sanjuro_ronin
07-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a 3rd degree BB in ITF TKD, loved every moment of the training.
It was fun, great exercise and you got kicks like no one elses business, lol !
Too bad for the WTF crap.
My TKD was old school TKD, while it was point sparring for white and yellows and padded "semi-contact" for all others, for red belts and BB it was full contact.
Good times.

goju
07-12-2011, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=597lM_vYNxU

MightyB
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
EveryOne always makes fun of tkd. Does anyone here believe tkd is a good add ok for Kung Fu or mma even?

TKD is NOT RECOGNIZED as a legitimate fighting art by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, and therefore is not a martial art. Henceforth all TKD practitioners should be publicly tea bagged by Turkish Oil Wrestlers (Which was noted as viable in MMA by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, in August of 1998). It is not a viable martial art by definition unless it involves rubbing, groping, dry humping, and being extremely comfortable with your head near another man's p3nis or anus in an inverted triangular position.

Sheesh, why would you even ask such a silly question?

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

sanjuro_ronin
07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
TKD is NOT RECOGNIZED as a legitimate fighting art by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, and therefore is not a martial art. Henceforth all TKD practitioners should be publicly tea bagged by Turkish Oil Wrestlers (Which was noted as viable in MMA by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, in August of 1998). It is not a viable martial art by definition unless it involves rubbing, groping, dry humping, and being extremely comfortable with your head near another man's p3nis or anus in an inverted triangular position.

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

Well done Sir !!
I will get the villagers, torches and pitchforks !!

HumbleWCGuy
07-12-2011, 01:28 PM

Yes, I started in TKD and My buddy got up to brown in it before switching. When he came over, we made very minor tweaks to his kicking to add power. He still had great control so it ended up being really awesome for him.

MightyB
07-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes, I started in TKD and My buddy got up to brown in it before switching. When he came over, we made very minor tweaks to his kicking to add power. He still had great control so it ended up being really awesome for him.

You sir are wrong! Next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me Wing Chun is a martial art!!! Everyone knows that Wing Chun did not exist until the venerable Bruce LeeŽ invented it -

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

JamesC
07-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I liked it.

Didn't make me a better fighter, though. Again, it is always about the training methods.

HumbleWCGuy
07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
You sir are wrong! Next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me Wing Chun is a martial art!!! Everyone knows that Wing Chun did not exist until the venerable Bruce LeeŽ invented it -

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

LOL you are killing me.

MightyB
07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Bas Rutten: No More TKD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1rPCfWAYAg)

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

wenshu
07-12-2011, 01:44 PM

BURN DOWN THE TEMPLE!!!

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0912/joe-rogan-tyrone-biggums-tattoo-crack-rocks-chappelle-demotivational-poster-1259733917.jpg

MightyB
07-12-2011, 01:48 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0912/joe-rogan-tyrone-biggums-tattoo-crack-rocks-chappelle-demotivational-poster-1259733917.jpg

Poor Wenshu... you are now on the list.

http://chungswingchun.com/images/wing-chun-kung-fu-shaolin-temple.jpg

Jimbo
07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
TKD can be a good MA to include in your studies, but it depends on the school and how it's taught.

I trained for some time in Tang Soo Do, then switched to a TKD school, and the teacher allowed me to keep my TSD ranking at his school, since they were similar enough (TSD emphasizes more hands than TKD). I eventually discontinued TKD as a brown belt. Both were good schools.

As for kicks, the TKD gave more movement/footwork/competitive training, but the TSD gave a better basic foundation. Did these arts make my kicks better? Yes and no. Prior to TSD, I'd already done Kenpo (black belt), and I was already a good kicker at the time. I'd say TSD/TKD emphasized kicking more, and added a few more kicks/kick variations than I already had. The TSD improved the form of my kicks, and the TKD helped with emphasis on speed of footwork and kicking combinations. It was a good experience.

Lucas
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Well done Sir !!
I will get the villagers, torches and pitchforks !!

i got the tar!

Dale Dugas
07-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Joe Rogan has a legit BB in TKD.

My wife used to train with him at the same school years ago here in the Boston area where he grew up.

Nothing wrong with old school TKD schools.

The modern schools, let's just say they are seriously lacking.

Lucas
07-12-2011, 02:52 PM
TKD is NOT RECOGNIZED as a legitimate fighting art by his Majesty of MMA, Joey Rogan, and therefore is not a martial art. !!!

is kungfu?

goju
07-12-2011, 03:00 PM
The tkd i have came from a South Korean Military instructor. He was around a 7th or eight degree when i was born so i would say he was pretty much there at the start of TKD or close to it so what i got looked closer to shotokan than the kangaroo foot fencing we have now.It had the "fancy" kicks but the emphasis was still on punching.

Jimbo
07-12-2011, 11:13 PM
The old-school TKD is very much similar to Tang Soo Do. In fact, a lot of the instructors of old-school TKD were actually TSD teachers who went along with the name change around the 1960s or so. Although the kicks in TSD are highly-developed, it's still at least around 50% hand strikes (or at least was when I trained it 30 years ago).

The TSD I learned was also closer to Japanese style than the 'modern' TKD. TSD (Tang Soo Do) actually means 'karate-do', when it originally meant 'China hand' as opposed to 'empty hand' (referring to Tang Dynasty). My TSD teacher was also very old-school; was around 7th or 8th degree as well, and had come from Korea and opened his school in 1962 (Chuck Norris had even trained at his school for a while in the early '60s; one of his old trophies was still in the school when I was there). Unfortunately, he passed away from an illness back in the 1980s.

The Koreans who reformulated the "Olympic-style" TKD clearly wanted an Olympic sport, but even more, to eliminate as much Japanese influence as possible. But in so doing, they watered it down and lost a lot.

MightyB
07-13-2011, 05:17 AM
is kungfu?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Reread the definition of Martial Art in your official Joey Rogan Guide to Good Martial Arts and Obscure Ganja. It reads and I quote:

"It is not a viable martial art by definition unless it involves rubbing, groping, dry humping, and being extremely comfortable with your head near another man's p3nis or anus in an inverted triangular position. "

Kung Fu does not have enough Man on Man crotch to face action to be a true martial art.

http://www.fighting-mma.com/images/eddie-bravo-joe-rogan.jpg

David Jamieson
07-13-2011, 05:25 AM
TKD was created in the 50's. I don't think there is such a thing as old school. there's wtf and itf.

It's not a bad martial art overall. It is the most popular martial art in the world to this day with the largest amount of people practicing.

Also, Bas did TKD in his youth, so take that for what it's worth. :)

aussie1981
07-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Does tkd have the Sanchin training that Karate has?

sanjuro_ronin
07-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Does tkd have the Sanchin training that Karate has?

No, not really, but it does have body conditoning.
I trained under a 2nd generation ITF teacher - Dino Hennings, 1St generation TKD- Jong Park and under Choi and Choi's son himself.
The original ITF TKD was very similar to kyokushin, but with more emphasis on lead leg kicking.
Many may not know this but hand techniques were the core of TKD, namely the ridge and knife hand and reverse punch.
The olympic TKD of the WTF is truly a case of "something else", think olympic Judo vs pre-war judo and it is a very similar situation.
Politics suck and from what I have been told, ITF now is overly "point oriented" and the hard and FC sparring that was typical in the red belt and above levels is a thing of the past (typically).

donjitsu2
07-15-2011, 11:13 AM
No, not really, but it does have body conditoning.
I trained under a 2nd generation ITF teacher - Dino Hennings, 1St generation TKD- Jong Park and under Choi and Choi's son himself.
The original ITF TKD was very similar to kyokushin, but with more emphasis on lead leg kicking.
Many may not know this but hand techniques were the core of TKD, namely the ridge and knife hand and reverse punch.
The olympic TKD of the WTF is truly a case of "something else", think olympic Judo vs pre-war judo and it is a very similar situation.
Politics suck and from what I have been told, ITF now is overly "point oriented" and the hard and FC sparring that was typical in the red belt and above levels is a thing of the past (typically).

I agree.

When I first started TKD it was very different. I remember sparring full contact (no punches the the head or face though) and doing a lot of impact conditioning.

We trained this way until my late teens then the instructor started adding ground work and head cages (so we could punch to the face).

That was a great school that used TKD as its base.

TenTigers
07-15-2011, 12:47 PM
no, even in an art as young as TKD, there have been so many drastic changes, that there is indeed an "old school" era. (chon-ji, palgue as opposed to tae geuk)
I trained in TSD and before that, Ji Do Kwan TKD. Bare knuckle sparring was the norm, and we used alot of hands as well. My TKD teacher also taught boxing, and that was incorperated into our training as well.

TKD gives you tools. Great kicks, kicking combinations, and the ability to kick effortlessly.
"Arms like legs, legs like arms"

HumbleWCGuy
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
no, even in an art as young as TKD, there have been so many drastic changes, that there is indeed an "old school" era. (chon-ji, palgue as opposed to tae geuk)
I trained in TSD and before that, Ji Do Kwan TKD. Bare knuckle sparring was the norm, and we used alot of hands as well. My TKD teacher also taught boxing, and that was incorperated into our training as well.

TKD gives you tools. Great kicks, kicking combinations, and the ability to kick effortlessly.
"Arms like legs, legs like arms"

It's like anything. I think. If you find a half, legit school, you will learn to defend yourself. Personally, I am not a fan of the TKD fighting shell and all the lead leg and hand techniques, but I think that the training really can add something to one's abilities.

HumbleWCGuy
07-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I think that learning to kick properly requires a solid instructor. You can't just watch youtube to learn to do the, "fancy" kicks. Before you even start kicking, you need to develop a proper warm up and stretching routine. After that, you need to learn to kick in a way that won't cause you hip injury. I am seeing a lot of videos on youtube of kicking practices that only work if you have normal hips.