PDA

View Full Version : Broadsword pommel weights, and hilt wraps?

elainevdw
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I just got twin dao, and have gone off on a crazy customization tangent after Googling how to secure a loose hilt (answer was "tighten the nut at the end" -- who knew it would be so easy). I would love to add some counter weights into the butt-end of the pommel, but I'm not sure what's the easiest way to go. Can you find weighted nuts or bolts that can just screw right on to the threaded piece that goes through that hollow end-cap? Or should I find some fishing weights and superglue them in there? Or, should I leave it alone and just use it as-is?

I have no idea what brand the dao are, I got them from the local martial arts + weapons place. I think they're spring steel.

Also, if you use tennis racket wrap on the grip, how do you secure it? Are they adhesive like bike handlebar tape, or do you somehow secure it at either end? And should you start at the butt of the pommel or up by the hilt? I'd like to stay away from anything adhesive as some of the dao at our school have taped hilts and the tape is coming unglued and is gross and sticky. I was considering getting a spool of shoelace thread and doing some of that fancy hilt-wrapping stuff I've seen online.

Snipsky
07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Were you talking to me? :confused:

elainevdw
07-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Were you talking to me? :confused:

I just registered for this forum yesterday -- this is a general question. Did I post in the wrong sub forum?

Snipsky
07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I just registered for this forum yesterday -- this is a general question. Did I post in the wrong sub forum?

Ohhhh no. you're ok. i see you're a CLF'er. who is your teacher please?

David Jamieson
07-13-2011, 06:07 PM
1- Best swords have full tang.

2- Balance point on broadsword is (should be) one hand width from the guard on the blade side.

You can get liquid steel and pour it down the handle to secure the screw that is welded to the blade. A loose handle is indication of no full tang.

ps. full tang for those who don't know means the blade and handle are all one piece. the handle is then covered with a couple of pieces of something, wrapped up and secured to teh blade. sometimes with a rivet or two through the whole handle.

But, if you have lesser quality swords, then remove the pommel and pour liquid steel down there and make sure th handle is absolutely straight and right before it completely dries. It'll be solid after that. :)

jb weld has the stuff http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

taai gihk yahn
07-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Also, if you use tennis racket wrap on the grip, how do you secure it? Are they adhesive like bike handlebar tape, or do you somehow secure it at either end? And should you start at the butt of the pommel or up by the hilt? I'd like to stay away from anything adhesive as some of the dao at our school have taped hilts and the tape is coming unglued and is gross and sticky. I was considering getting a spool of shoelace thread and doing some of that fancy hilt-wrapping stuff I've seen online.

I always used tennis racket grip started the wrap at the pommel going around 1 1/2 to 2 times straight, then worked up towards the hilt on a shallow diagonal - never had a problem w the pommel coming undone; at the hilt, I used the adhesive that came w the racket grip, then overlaid it with, I think, some sort of surgical tape (this was a loooong time ago, lol) - but probably bike handle adhesive would work just as well, if not better; over time, sure it could come off, you can just re-secure it;

one thing I liked for counterbalancing was using a heavy material that at the end of the pommel, it created a sort of "drag" counter weight, which seemed to help the balance, IMPO;

taai gihk yahn
07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
jb weld has the stuff http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

I like any product that has a Tensile Lap Shear of 1040...

elainevdw
07-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I didn't realize you could get liquid steel. The tang is square, but the hole in the handle is round -- I had been planning on putting wooden spacers in there to keep it more secure, but a liquid sounds easier.

I trolled the hardware store this afternoon for more counterweight ideas. I was thinking about stacking a bunch of washers on the screw at the end of the tang and securing them with another nut before putting the pommel cap back on, but I got the wrong size.

Picked up the tennis racket grip too... whew, these things are almost ready for prime time, finally! ;)

David Jamieson
07-14-2011, 07:35 AM
I like any product that has a Tensile Lap Shear of 1040...

More importantly 0.0% shrinkage!

elainevdw
07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Turns out it was balanced pretty well already (one hand forward of the hilt), so no weights needed! The tennis grip was really easy to put on too. Looking forward to trying it out tonight, and maybe finally getting butterflies/reverse butterflies down.

brothernumber9
07-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Although kinda toxic in terms of smoke. I bought a roll of thick solder and melted it into the metal housing of the pommel, then with the handle seated, heated it up againt to get a tighter fit. I have a generic Lung Chuan spring steel dao. (the metal end for the pommel was hollow and did not butt to the end of the handle.) I may not even have gotten half a pound of weight extra but it was enough to effect the balance to a noticable degree. i did it outside and still felt slightly ill later from the fumes, so if you do this way DO NOT DO IT INDOORS.

TenTigers
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
the cheaper daos have a threaded rod welded (poorly) onto the short tang.
I use a rubber washer between the blood cup guard and the handle to keep it from rattling.
I also put washers under the pommel, as it is thin steel and tightening it too much will bend the steel. Sometimes I put a nut on the other end as a spacer so I can tighten it more.

ngokfei
07-20-2011, 01:48 PM
if you want to add weight and tighten the handle to the guard without bending the Pommel.

Just take the pommel off and put a washer & nut onto the threaded rod 1st.
next add as many washer's you need to balance it.
then just put on the pommel and tighten on the outside.

GeneChing
07-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I also mix and match parts. I remember a sword maker that I used to work with who found a nice solid bedpost cap that worked as a pommel. Mind you, that was for western theatrical rapiers and arming swords, not Chinese stuff, but you get the idea. It really depends on how craftsy you are, but there's a lot of sword modification options available, if you have the imagination and the skill.

Sword balance is completely subjective - depends on what you like personally.

David Jamieson
07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
pointy? check
sharp? check
got a handle? check

get ta stabbin!