PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever eat dog?

BJJ-Blue
07-14-2011, 07:39 AM
"SEOUL (Reuters Life!) - Thursday was not a good day to be a dog in South Korea. That's because it was one of the three hottest days according to the Korean lunar calendar -- and dog soup is one way to beat the heat.

On "Chobok," people seeking to protect the body from overheating eat traditional healthy foods such as ginseng chicken soup, broiled eel, and "bo-shin-tang," literally "body preservation stew."

Dogs are bred to be eaten in South Korea, and advocates say bo-shin-tang, which consists of dog meat boiled in a mix of hot and strong spices and vegetables, is good for the health. It is considered a delicacy by some.

"The reason why I eat dog soup is because it boosts my energy, even when I'm most tired," said 56-year-old Shin Gwan-sup, sitting in a dog soup restaurant.

"Compared to other meats, it has more protein and less fat. I think it is healthy and clean, a more suitable meat for us."

The Korean practice of eating dog has drawn criticism from overseas for its cruelty, with French actress and animal rights activist Brigitte Bardot among some of the most vocal critics.

But Korean dog meat connoisseurs remain undaunted, with long lines forming on Thursday outside dog specialty restaurants.

Beating the heat was painful for diners this year, though, with the price of the ginseng chicken soup, or sangyetang, jumping. Severe rain has also pushed up the price of vegetables used in the soups."

Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/dog-menu-korea-beat-heat-094612304.html

So has anyone here ever ate dog? I know it's eaten in China too, and that some members here have travelled to China.

Drake
07-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Someone once made a good point. Dogs, for whatever reason, tend to empathize and bond with man more than virtually any other animal. True, you have domesticated versions of nearly everything, but the bond between man and dog is a particularly special one. Unconditional love and trust are traits we don't often display, even from human to human. Dogs offer it freely.

David Jamieson
07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
No offense America, but I'm laughing at two examples of you right now.

I've eaten dog. It was ok. Stringy, cause it was an older sled dog.

It is common in Arctic regions to have a little dog meat now and then.

Wassa matta 1badbj? You been reading up your propaganda on those terrible North Korean dog eaters again looking for more new ways to hate other people in the world that aren't like you?

lol AND :rolleyes:

p.s Drake, you're a bonehead romantic.

KC Elbows
07-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm told cat is better.

Snipsky
07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Filipino's eat dog all the time. especially the black ones because they believe a black dog out of all the others have a certain kind of power. if they eat it they would become strong.

Lucas
07-14-2011, 11:11 AM
nothing wrong with dog or cat meat...if it walks on all fours, slithers, flies or lives in water it is ok to eat.

:D

SoCo KungFu
07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Ummm...depending on what lists you look at, there's only 14-17 domesticated animal species

I've had dog. I was also too drunk to remember the taste

GeneChing
07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
DJ is right. It's a nasty, stringy meat. It was also very salty, but that might have been the soup. It did not give me any extra energy. That was back in the days when I ate stunt food.

bawang
07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
i eat dogs, and im fukin proud of it.

dog eaters unite

David Jamieson
07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
i eat dogs, and im fukin proud of it.

dog eaters unite

Is that a euphemism?

bawang
07-14-2011, 03:28 PM
little baby dogs taste the best, theyre like popcorn chicken.

Syn7
07-14-2011, 03:32 PM
not to my knowledge... but you never know...

Lucas
07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
little baby dogs taste the best, theyre like popcorn chicken.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC Elbows
07-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Is that a euphemism?

For a thread that is asking who here has eaten a dog, there is a suspicious shortage of euphemisms. Is this the buildup to the hairy dog story to end all hairy dog stories?

Syn7
07-14-2011, 04:02 PM
when you are hungry enough, you will eat anything... it always suprised me how people looked at the foods of other cultures... i always looked at it with wonder and when i was old enough i started to understand why people eat what they eat and all the socio-economic factors involved... ive never thought bad of anyone for doing what they haver to do to get by... well, thats not true... as a young teen i was vegan and pretty mouthy about it... but that was philisophical, not practical... to diss a korean for eating to stay alive and/or eating the foods that is culturally normal, for the reasons i already stated, is wrong... of all the reasons to knockj a korean, food choice wouldnt even make my list...

some people look at us and want to throw up as they imagine what a continent of fat unhealthy c0cksure a$$holes eat...

bawang
07-14-2011, 04:31 PM
dog lovers should be locked up with their dogs in a room with no food. dont be shocked when your "beloved" devours your meat and sucks out your marrows.

David Jamieson
07-14-2011, 05:08 PM
dog lovers should be locked up with their dogs in a room with no food. dont be shocked when your "beloved" devours your meat and sucks out your marrows.
creepy and weird.

why should dog lovers be locked in rooms with their dogs until they are hungry enough to eat them?

I like dogs, I have a great dog!
You'd probably love him. he's chubby.

check him out!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kunglek/DSCN0565.jpg

bawang
07-14-2011, 09:07 PM
creepy and weird.

why should dog lovers be locked in rooms with their dogs until they are hungry enough to eat them?

nope. during wars stray bands of dogs and cats always start to attack humans.

australian dingo is classic example of feral dog. wolves kill their prey first. wild dogs eat their victims alive.

nothing more pathetic than spending hundreds of hours repressing the instincts of a beast with sharp fangs and claws to act like a child.

JamesC
07-15-2011, 06:35 AM
I've never had it, but I would try it.

I like dogs, but I also like meat.

As for cats, well, I wouldn't eat them, but I don't mind killing them. They're foul little creatures that deserve punishment.

I think God made cats for sporting purposes for men. What else explains why it is so much fun to throw them up in the air repeatedly until you finally get them to land OFF their feet?

David Jamieson
07-15-2011, 08:13 AM
nope. during wars stray bands of dogs and cats always start to attack humans.

australian dingo is classic example of feral dog. wolves kill their prey first. wild dogs eat their victims alive.

nothing more pathetic than spending hundreds of hours repressing the instincts of a beast with sharp fangs and claws to act like a child.

You live a sheltered life in a dark room I bet...lol :p

survival mode says that I eat the dog before it eats me.
Yes, yes I would.

If I was a sailor, I'd also kill and eat the cabin boy if we were stuck like the raft of the Minerva.

bawang
07-15-2011, 10:44 AM
youve been living with beasts for too long. i would never eat another chinese person if i was stranded.

GeneChing
07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I've read a report (Lord knows where - I read a lot) about cases where owners died and no one discovered the body for a while. Meanwhile, the owner's dog was trapped in the house without food. The dog usually resorts to eating the body of its owner. Typically, it eats the hands and face, but that's probably because that's usually the flesh that is exposed and easily accessible.

I have no idea why I shared that factoid here. It's just that kind of Friday.

goju
07-15-2011, 03:33 PM
No but ive heard dog tastes like spam blech

Snipsky
07-15-2011, 04:30 PM
No but ive heard dog tastes like spam blech

SPAM IS GOOD! when you are coming home late from partying with your friends all night there's nothing better than fukkin up some spam, eggs and onions....mmm mmm mmmm good!!!!!

aussie1981
07-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Bawang you are a very disturbed individual lol, the dingo is feral but usually keeps away from people and eats small animals.

For the average Aussie eating dog is way taboo, just not done. Grew up in a farming town and they are an essential part of life. Kangaroo meat is supposed to be really good but I just can't bring myself to eat a national icon that's on the coat of arms.

TenTigers
07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
SPAM IS GOOD! when you are coming home late from partying with your friends all night there's nothing better than fukkin up some spam, eggs and onions....mmm mmm mmmm good!!!!!
slice the spam thin, like a little less than a half inch and fry it till crispy on the outside, but still soft inside. Then have it on bread or toast with a fried egg and some hot sauce.

gotta try it with onions-sounds great.

bawang
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I just can't bring myself to eat a national icon that's on the coat of arms.
you are a cowerd

Drake
07-15-2011, 09:59 PM
you are a cowerd

Cowards take advantage of trust.

Try hunting a wild animal instead of killing and eating something that trusted you.

bawang
07-15-2011, 11:09 PM
when i eat it i chew angrily like a tiger and imagine white peoples pain and anguish over their best friend. it temprarily calms my unending rage that i carry with me each day.

aussie1981
07-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Man you need help!!!!!:confused:

bawang
07-16-2011, 12:18 AM
you slaughtered millions of australian aboriginals, then stole their home. its YOU who needs help.

Drake
07-16-2011, 01:15 AM
you slaughtered millions of australian aboriginals, then stole their home. its YOU who needs help.

Custer killed native American women and children. That's my fault?

Maybe I should blame you for Mao?

Or maybe we should blame BJJ-Blue for slavery?

JamesC
07-16-2011, 05:56 AM
I'm Irish. Can you blame me for Micky Ward?

GETHIN
07-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Fragrant meat (xiang rou)... the smell was worse than the taste. I asked what sort of dog it was and was told 'brown dog'.
I once was given grilled rat in South China, that didn't smell too bad, but nevertheless should be avoided.

rett
07-16-2011, 09:16 AM
So has anyone here ever ate dog?

Not knowingly, but it may have happened inadvertently.

I did buy a package of dog meat at a supermarket in China and brought it home just for fun. At least it had the characters 狗肉 (dog meat) on the package. First I thought it might be dogfood but the serving suggestion on the back involved a plate and a glass of wine!

bawang
07-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Not knowingly, but it may have happened inadvertently.

I did buy a package of dog meat at a supermarket in China and brought it home just for fun. At least it had the characters 狗肉 (dog meat) on the package. First I thought it might be dogfood but the serving suggestion on the back involved a plate and a glass of wine!

you are a man of honor. respec.

anyone that eat dog is my brother.

aussie1981
07-16-2011, 05:20 PM
yeah it was a bad situation with the Aboriginals but "millions".... I don't think so mate. Iff you're playing the race card then have a look in your own back yard mate.

goju
07-16-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm Irish. Can you blame me for Micky Ward?

shh we get blamed enough for bono :D

aussie1981
07-16-2011, 05:27 PM
I seem to remember a little skirmish in the 1940's where the AUssies and the Yanks got the Japs out of China, iff it weren't for us white's you'd probably still be under there thumb. Maybe a change in attitude would be good for your character Bawang.........;)

David Jamieson
07-17-2011, 07:07 AM
I seem to remember a little skirmish in the 1940's where the AUssies and the Yanks got the Japs out of China, iff it weren't for us white's you'd probably still be under there thumb. Maybe a change in attitude would be good for your character Bawang.........;)

fwiw, racism is bawang's trolling line. you've been hooked you aboriginal killing murderous kangaroo eater!!!! :mad:

:mad:

:p

Lee Chiang Po
07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Eating dogs and cats gives westerners the shudders. But it is a common practice in the east. I have eaten both on many occasions, and rats taste like squirrel. My father and mother used to travel to the asian markets in New Orleans and buy things imported that you can not get in any grocery store. I have eaten horse on several occasions as well. Dog meat that is cured or smoked will naturally be salty and stringy, so has to be boiled and cut into very small pieces. Cat is very tender and considered as white meat. It fries up really good, but you have to be extremely careful in cleaning the cat as it will have anal glands that can taint the meat terribly. Both, if taken fresh, can be aged in the fridge like beef and marinated in soy sauce and a bit of wine vinegar, and any other spices you want to add. It grills well like that too. I never really cared for the soup though. To me it smells like arm pit on a very hot day. Eating animal proteins was probably a common fact of life way back when, and some cultures have maintained this habit even until today. I have an older brother that would not eat a chicken drumstick at gunpoint. He will puke just thinking about it. He says it is because of all the dark vains and cooked blood by the bone, but that is my favorite part of the leg.

bawang
07-18-2011, 08:33 AM
the anal gland is the best part.

when you stack cat intestines with layers of salt and leave them under the sun, a clear liquid forms and is great as flavouring enhancer for cooking or dipping.

GeneChing
07-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Dog is stringy, salty, tough and bland. You guys need to do your research.

Syn7
07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Custer killed native American women and children. That's my fault?

Maybe I should blame you for Mao?

Or maybe we should blame BJJ-Blue for slavery?

no, but you do reap the rewards of a very systematic and cruel genocide. and i doubt you or anyone you know that isnt native or always around natives thinks very much about how that has affected them today... there isnt enough money in the world to give them back what they lost... and we all know how fair the land claims have been.

im saddened by our history... but at least in canada we let a few live, unlike the near total eradication that happened further south... not that canada is much better, we closed our last residential school in like 1986... thats insane...

as long as that negative energy is ignored, and we pretend like its not our fault with a "whats done is done" attitude, we will always have that bad karma hanging over us...

a nation is responsible for the actions of its leaders... ive always believed germany got off pretty easy, all considering... it is your duty as a citizen, and as a man, to stand up against what is clearly wrong... if you dont, for whatever reason, you are guilty... just as i am guilty for everything my gov does right now...
also, it real easy to point at ancestors and say "it was them, not me" but the simple fact of the matter is that we still benefit from that robbery to this day and we dont go out and fight for the rights of the very few natives that are left... and for that we are GUILTY as fukc... me, you, all of us...

from a practical point of view, of course we cant fix everything... but really, how many of us are out there fixing ANYTHING? not many...

one could argue that being a soldier is being part of a solution, but it can easilly be argued that they are actually a problem... the strong arm of a policy that alienates billions and creates mortal enemies by the nano second...

Syn7
07-18-2011, 02:45 PM

bawang for the win... youve been played, son...

David Jamieson
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Syn 7 - There is no nation, no people that has not pressed down upon another. Killing them, taking their land and possessions.

The biggest genocides in recent history have been carried out in Africa by Black people on other black people over tribal differences. Prior to that, Asians with Mao and his genocides.

And people still whine about Custer?

Really?

Give your head a shake. Live in the today and take a look around. there's culpability for all!

Taixuquan99
07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Hitler greatly admired what the U.S. did to the Indian nations under Jackson.

The difficulty is, when a current generation in life's position would not exist without a past genocide, there will be difficulties justifying things or lecturing a moral path.

Fortunately, we can all agree to blame Africa and the Middle East on the Europeans. Thanks for drawing up borders to endorse non-functional dependencies, you **** Europeans!

bawang
07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
its really sad how soft and weak western europe has become. i think the amount of moral and spiritual decay is irreversible.

aussie1981
07-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Political corectness and the bleeding hearts are killing western civilsation. But as far as morals are concerned we're not doing to bad I suppose, I mean there's no soviet style gulags That I've seen here in Australia and the Tianinman massacre didn't happen here in perth........

aussie1981
07-19-2011, 02:47 AM
As far as spiritual decay then organised religion isn't popular anymore but more people have a stronger sense of"self" than under the Iron fist of the Church.

rett
07-19-2011, 02:54 AM
im saddened by our history... but at least in canada we let a few live, unlike the near total eradication that happened further south...

The US succeeded at and got away with the same thing Germany tried to do in the following century. Lebensraum. (or "Manifest Destiny", same thing). A bid for massive and rapid expansion built on genocide.

But it's time to move on. USA and Germany are both forces for good in the world today. And lots and lots of other countries, even what are considered colonized sufferers, did similar things in their history. Humans can be very nasty.

bawang
07-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I mean there's no soviet style gulags That I've seen here in Australia and the Tianinman massacre didn't happen here in perth........

you make it sound like its a bad thing.

USA and Germany are both forces for good in the world today.
theres no such thing as good. only stong

rett
07-19-2011, 07:54 AM
theres no such thing as good. only stong

dog eat dog

still, I do believe in good

SimonM
07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Political corectness and the bleeding hearts are killing western civilsation. But as far as morals are concerned we're not doing to bad I suppose, I mean there's no soviet style gulags That I've seen here in Australia and the Tianinman massacre didn't happen here in perth........

No, Australia has never committed a politically motivated massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians#After_ 1930) has it?

Just like Canada has never attempted cultural genocide. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system)

And the USA hasn't ever tried to actively (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Act)oppress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism) dissidents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_union_busting_in_the_United_States).

All I'm saying is glass houses... stones... and suggesting that people looking down on impolite and derogatory comments is killing western civilization hints at jingoism.

rett
07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Eh? Come on. Obviously the Soviet Union was WAY worse. You can't just relativize everything. Nobody's perfect. Doesn't mean everyone's equally bad.

SimonM
07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Eh? Come on. Obviously the Soviet Union was WAY worse. You can't just relativize everything. Nobody's perfect. Doesn't mean everyone's equally bad.

Well OBVIOUSLY, they didn't speak English after all. ;)

rett
07-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Well OBVIOUSLY, they didn't speak English after all. ;)

You're right, Britain was pretty incredibly horrid in the labour/union decades before Thatcher cleaned things up.

bawang
07-19-2011, 11:12 AM

the soviet and chinese reason for mass killings were political. they were wiling to shed blood to preserve the stability and unity of the nation. thats understandable, even admirable. that is ultimate patriotism, to kill for the greater good.

David Jamieson
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
the soviet and chinese reason for mass killings were political. they were wiling to shed blood to preserve the stability and unity of the nation. thats understandable, even admirable. that is ultimate patriotism, to kill for the greater good.

Truly, amazing... :eek:

Admirable? Yet you hate the japanese for doing the same thing more or less?
Or is it only ok when your dad kills you off and your population is kept in check and the unity is formed?

being controversial is often just being silly and nonsensical.

Chinese still imprison and murder their people on a regular basis for things we would never consider executing someone for or even thinking execution is an option.

the Chinese government is vile in my opinion. It would be nowhere without it's indentured slavery practices and it's fat contracts with evil billionaires who kill our jobs and give them to the chinese wage slaves instead.

we're weak for letting those jobs go.
we're weak for letting China continue her horrific punishments upon her people.

If any nation has dull minds it is the communist ones when it gets down to the general populace, willing to accept the horror and tragedy it's government throws upon it.

at least here I can call my PM an ass to his face and NOTHING will come of it except maybe a cool news story!

russia? pretty much the same.

these are general views and not total, but hey, ,we're playing the "white vs black vs yellow vs red game" after all.

bawang
07-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Admirable? Yet you hate the japanese for doing the same thing more or less?

i dont hate japan for invading china. i hate japan for cowardice after the war.

If any nation has dull minds it is the communist ones when it gets down to the general populace, willing to accept the horror and tragedy it's government throws upon it.

if you dare rebel against an established government, prepare to die. this is the rule of every single nation.

its unnatural for china to have a democracy. it is not the way of our people. those that fill their minds with the poison of democracy deserve whatever fate awaits them.

MasterKiller
07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
http://pics.livejournal.com/fragbert/pic/000xwyzd.jpg

bawang
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM
it is better to die for the emperor than to live for yourself.

SimonM
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I say execute all monarchs.

But then again I am a commie. :eek:

aussie1981
07-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Well then our oposition party better prepair to die, seriously!!!!:rolleyes:

Any decent form of government will allow critism, not drag people off never to be seen again. The gulag's were about power and controlling people with an iron fist, Stalin even threatened his own family with it.:(

bawang
07-19-2011, 07:54 PM
jesus said, a house divided will fall.

Lee Chiang Po
07-19-2011, 09:48 PM
the anal gland is the best part.

when you stack cat intestines with layers of salt and leave them under the sun, a clear liquid forms and is great as flavouring enhancer for cooking or dipping.

******!!! The anal gland? That is what makes cat S--t smell so bad. I have cut up fish and salted it some and let the sun cook out the yellow fats. Fish oil, like what we can buy at the health stores. I have used it for seasoning foods, but very lightly. It is actually good for you, but I don't know about the cat guts.

rett
07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Edit: never mind

BJJ-Blue
07-20-2011, 06:54 AM
The gulag's were about power and controlling people with an iron fist, Stalin even threatened his own family with it.:(

One of Stalin's sons was captured by the Germans. They offered to exchange him and Stalin refused. That son later died in a German concentration camp.

bawang
07-20-2011, 08:18 AM
One of Stalin's sons was captured by the Germans. They offered to exchange him and Stalin refused. That son later died in a German concentration camp.

thats ultimate patriotism. stalins love of his country was greater than his son

David Jamieson
07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Patriotism is rot. It's a feeling of superiority we give ourselves simply because of where we were geographically located when born.

I would kill an emperor before I died for one Bawang. My life is mine and no one else's to rule over, ever.

The history of Canada is rebellion, dissent, compromise, adjustment, co-operation, difficulty, struggle and success!

bawang
07-20-2011, 11:02 AM
The history of Canada is rebellion, dissent, compromise, adjustment, co-operation, difficulty, struggle and success!

like the vancouver riots?

SimonM
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Nawh, that was just hockey bumpkins acting up.

Try people like Louis Riel. Now there is somebody I wouldn't mind putting on our money.

David Jamieson
07-20-2011, 11:49 AM

more like dirtbags from surrey, richmond and burnaby coming into vancouver, getting drunk and wrecking it.

organized sports fans are idiots in crowds.

aussie1981
07-20-2011, 07:33 PM
At least they didn't get black bagged and were able to vent there frustration and know they could get up and get on with there lives the next day, could you imagine iff that happened in Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union? Even modern China, North Korea or Burma?

aussie1981
07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Iff collingwood go back to back in the AFL this year there may be similar scenes all over Oz, they are the most hated sports team in the land:cool:

rett
07-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Patriotism is rot. It's a feeling of superiority we give ourselves simply because of where we were geographically located when born.

I doesn't have to be like that. It can be a wholesome expression of self-esteem grounded on the accomplishments of our forbears, and kept down-to-earth by our humble acknowledgement that we must work hard to live up to their example.

Countries like Canada do have a lot to be proud of. I think that is healthy.

aussie1981
07-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Maybe it's the whole tribalism thing from our neanderthal past, a survival instinct????

David Jamieson
07-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Maybe it's the whole tribalism thing from our neanderthal past, a survival instinct????

mmm, I don't think so. It's done today in modern large cities.
NOt a hold over from the past...we used to eat goats too and we still do.

It's mainly western cultures that don't eat dog.

Here's an odd little fact, in Paris, France Dogs may roam where they like for the most part, stray dogs etc. This is because during WW2 the people nearly wiped out the dog population in Paris by eating them.

In many parts of India they will not eat Cattle and view us as infidels and practically savage and backwards for eating cattle!

Almost everywhere else except western societies eat insects in some form as well.

We need to understand that WE are the outliers as a society, that WE are the odd ones.

I'm more proud of that than where I was born along with some empty platitudes about founding nations. There is not a lot to be proud about as far as that's concerned in my opinion. A lot of people had to die and get displaced so that 100 years later I could have my 1 acre and house with a convenience store on the corner and roads to where I want to go. :p

Seriously, I don't feel terrible about it, but I'm not wearing blinders to that either.
Some things aren't worth celebrating.

bawang
07-21-2011, 06:09 AM
At least they didn't get black bagged and were able to vent there frustration and know they could get up and get on with there lives the next day, could you imagine iff that happened in Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union? Even modern China, North Korea or Burma?

modern china had two riots in the past 3 or 4 years which were resolved peacefully with minimum violence against chinese people.

BJJ-Blue
07-21-2011, 06:55 AM
modern china had two riots in the past 3 or 4 years which were resolved peacefully with minimum violence against chinese people.

And they also imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo for questioning the regime.

David Jamieson
07-21-2011, 07:22 AM
And they also imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo for questioning the regime.

Bradley Manning got jailed, beat up and not many have heard from him.
Remember that american citizen who questioned his government and exposed their own brand of terror they were spreading? yeah that guy.

So, each is a dissident. Neither is treated fairly. America is a better place to live than China on so many levels it is not worth addressing really, but could be done easily.

People across the states are being silenced and denied their constitutional rights AS Americans BECAUSE of the patriot act and the formation of Homeland Security which is not bound by the constitution.

I don't know if you noticed, But America is attempting to align itself with China and that will be a nightmare for America, but a boon for the average Chinese because they don't know any better.

bawang
07-21-2011, 07:52 AM

patriots dont question their country.

one vision, one purpose. peace through power.

Syn7
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Syn 7 - There is no nation, no people that has not pressed down upon another. Killing them, taking their land and possessions.

The biggest genocides in recent history have been carried out in Africa by Black people on other black people over tribal differences. Prior to that, Asians with Mao and his genocides.

And people still whine about Custer?

Really?

Give your head a shake. Live in the today and take a look around. there's culpability for all!

yah... ive noticed that most people use that excuse to bury their guilt... it is true, for sure, but it doesnt change anything... i see the affects every day... i see broken people in a broken and beaten culture which to a large extent has created nothing but idiots for the last few generations... we're talking like a 1% success rate... we had the luxury of having ancestors grow and cultivate their ways over a long period of time, gradually getting used to the ails of metro living... they had like three or four generations to absorb what took us 2000 years to learn and build a resistance to... just cause its common, doesnt make it a non issue...

Syn7
07-21-2011, 05:18 PM
The US succeeded at and got away with the same thing Germany tried to do in the following century. Lebensraum. (or "Manifest Destiny", same thing). A bid for massive and rapid expansion built on genocide.

But it's time to move on. USA and Germany are both forces for good in the world today. And lots and lots of other countries, even what are considered colonized sufferers, did similar things in their history. Humans can be very nasty.

i disagree... they arent forces for good??? theyu do some good things, but far more bad... western culture in general is pretty pathetic for the most part...

commercialism is the next great mistake in human history... aside from population growth being outta control, its the worlds greatest threat in the history of mankind... nothing has ever caused so much harm... the benefits do not outweigh the costs here... of course it will take waaay too long for everyone to get on board with that...

bawang
07-21-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5sANHYp_IQ

CORAGE DUTY HONER

Taixuquan99
07-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Industrialization requires an urbanized populace and overpopulation.

Without overpopulation, people have means to opt out of the commercial process by leaving the cities/centers, and without extra people to police all territory, they will not return. This is part of the reason that settlers in the states forbade joining the Indians, even when the tribes they were joining were not at war with the settlers. This is why the Indian wars occurred, because the native population was sheltering slaves, and thus giving an escape route to an important source of labor, as there weren't sufficient numbers of settlers to do the work themselves.

Democratic and fair modern systems provide equalized resource usage for everyone, which has tended to mean that the democratic nature of such countries is more domestic than international, and has meant that much of the peace and plenty they experience is not because of democracy at home, but favorable tyranny abroad.

The worst thing, economically, that could happen to any of the modern democratic great powers is that the entire world was populated by functioning democratic systems proposing liberal values and doing what was best for their citizens.

Overpopulation is, by its definition, unsustainable, and so industrialization in the modern sense is as well. Technological developments may have often allowed for sustaining larger populations, but the idea that that process is endless is magical thinking. Half the world is poor, and the other half benefits from this.

This is not to characterize the system or people as evil. It is an evolutionary safety on civilizations. Rome has no interest if making rival Romes, but needs allies, those allies have no interest in being allies forever, so they steal Roman ideas and add their own, each empire's citizens want payoff for the military efforts their state undertakes, for the mercantile processes their society welcomes into its ranks, for the constant effort empire takes, each leader must protect his or her position. What enriches us impoverishes us. We kill the soviets to train the islamic extremists, until the problem our solution created, at some date, has no solution that we are in a position to undertake, and new civilizations rise.

David Jamieson
07-22-2011, 08:17 AM
yah... ive noticed that most people use that excuse to bury their guilt... it is true, for sure, but it doesnt change anything... i see the affects every day... i see broken people in a broken and beaten culture which to a large extent has created nothing but idiots for the last few generations... we're talking like a 1% success rate... we had the luxury of having ancestors grow and cultivate their ways over a long period of time, gradually getting used to the ails of metro living... they had like three or four generations to absorb what took us 2000 years to learn and build a resistance to... just cause its common, doesnt make it a non issue...

I think I've made it pretty clear I do not feel any guilt whatsoever about the sins of my father.

People have to lift themselves up and stop blaming their plight on others.

I don't buy the whole story you're selling. It isn't serviceable when it comes to reality in many respects. If people don't want to be urban, it is not a requirement to be so.

We, all of us each only has a single lifetime to get used to anything. That applies to all the living. Saying that someone is held back because their grandfathers didn't prepare is ludicrous in my opinion.

My grandfather grew up without cars! Then there were cars! then rockets! then computers!

I grew up without computers, or televisions in the house and then there were computers and televisions! Stuff changes, humans don't.

Stupid and lazy is sadly fitting the bill with many.
Pressed down and held back by a force not their own is a smaller part and gets dealt with daily.

If we can break these dictators and oust them and get everybody up off their asses and stop the habit of stretching out the hand and have it pick up a tool instead, I think we'd get ****her.

As i grow older, I start to fall more in line with survival of the fittest thinking.

Taixuquan99
07-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Knowing how things got to be where they are is not an act of guilt, but acceptance of truth.

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Eating dog? BAH !!!

Now, eating kitty, that's the stuff !!

David Jamieson
07-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Eating dog? BAH !!!

Now, eating kitty, that's the stuff !!

as long as it's adult kitty and not the kind of pedobear treat that could be misconstrued as.

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
as long as it's adult kitty and not the kind of pedobear treat that could be misconstrued as.

Of course and short haired too, don't much care for long haired kitty eating.

JamesC
07-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Of course and short haired too, don't much care for long haired kitty eating.

I hate when food gets stuck in my teeth.

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I hate when food gets stuck in my teeth.

You dig where I'm coming from my Brother !

Syn7
07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I think I've made it pretty clear I do not feel any guilt whatsoever about the sins of my father.

People have to lift themselves up and stop blaming their plight on others.

I don't buy the whole story you're selling. It isn't serviceable when it comes to reality in many respects. If people don't want to be urban, it is not a requirement to be so.

We, all of us each only has a single lifetime to get used to anything. That applies to all the living. Saying that someone is held back because their grandfathers didn't prepare is ludicrous in my opinion.

My grandfather grew up without cars! Then there were cars! then rockets! then computers!

I grew up without computers, or televisions in the house and then there were computers and televisions! Stuff changes, humans don't.

Stupid and lazy is sadly fitting the bill with many.
Pressed down and held back by a force not their own is a smaller part and gets dealt with daily.

If we can break these dictators and oust them and get everybody up off their asses and stop the habit of stretching out the hand and have it pick up a tool instead, I think we'd get ****her.

As i grow older, I start to fall more in line with survival of the fittest thinking.

im not saying you should feel guilty... what im saying is that we, as a nation, should be more willing to admit the mistakes of our past... a lil understanding goes a long way... of course natives have a responsibility to pull themselves out of the gutter... but we shouldnt be holding them down either... im not saying that you should be doing anything for them, but you should aknowledge a few simple truths about their plight...

but i couldnt agree more about how most canadians are lazy fat wastes of untapped potential... greed and selfishness is a huge problem, the apathetic attitude only makes it worse... we are rockin out the slippery slope for sure... for example, our medical system is being hammered because most people eat chips and pop for snacks and never exercise... then me, somebody who actually does healthy things, ends up paying for their care... its no wonder our system is dying, its overloaded with fat asses and lazy retards...

GeneChing
07-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Dog meat for the summer solstice. :o

Chinese city dogged by criticism over dog-meat festival (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/18/chinese-city-yulin-dog-meat-festival?INTCMP=SRCH)

People of Yulin, Guangxi province, cherish summer solstice tradition but animal rights groups denounce event as inhumane

Jonathan Kaiman in Beijing
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 18 June 2013 10.36 EDT

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/6/18/1371565516649/Chinese-volunteers-rescue-009.jpg
Chinese volunteers rescue dogs destined for dog-meat restaurants. In China, dog meat is prized as a nutritious wintertime dish. Photograph: Quirky China News/Rex Features

Residents of a small city in southern China plan to hold an annual dog-meat festival on Friday amid intense criticism from animal rights groups, which have denounced the one-day event as unsafe and inhumane.

Residents of Yulin in Guangxi province consider the festival an ancient summer solstice tradition. Many cherish their city's dog-meat culture, which involves the mass consumption of dog-meat hotpot served with lychees and strong grain liquor.

Animal rights groups say 10,000 dogs are slaughtered during the festival each year, and that many are electrocuted, burned and skinned alive. Pictures posted online show flayed dogs, dogs hanging from meat hooks, and piles of dog corpses on the side of the road. In China dog meat is prized as a nutritious wintertime dish that doctors can prescribe to treat maladies such as impotence and poor circulation.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/6/18/1371566750736/Dog-meat-being-prepared-f-010.jpg
Dog meat being prepared for sale in Yulin, Guangxi province Dog meat being prepared for sale in Yulin, Guangxi province. Photograph: Quirky China News/Rex

Activists have tried to block the event on numerous occasions through open letters and street protests. Some have implored the UK and US governments to interfere with the festival via online petitions. "Please help us stop the Yulin Festival of eating dogs in Guangxi province. It is bloody and disregards life," a petition on the US White House website was titled.

"They use knives to kill the dogs which are alive," it said, according to the South China Morning Post. "Then people would like to burn the dogs, which are conscious, so they can eat them." The petition was recently taken down because it failed to meet the 100,000 signature threshold required to elicit a response from the Obama administration.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/6/18/1371566136796/Chinese-diners-tuck-into--010.jpg
Chinese diners tuck into dog-meat hotpot in a restaurant in Yulin, Guangxi province Chinese diners tuck into dog-meat hotpot in a restaurant in Yulin, Guangxi province. Photograph: Imaginechina/Rex Features

According to an open letter by the Hong Kong-based NGO Animals Asia, many of the dogs consumed during the festival are strays and abductees. Some are transported to the city on filthy, overcrowded trucks, significantly increasing the risk that they carry rabies and other contagious diseases. Yulin officials claim that the dogs are raised by local farmers.

"Stolen dogs without quarantine certificates are cruelly slaughtered and sold to restaurants at very low prices," Master Huici, assistant director of the Hebei Buddhism Charity Foundation, told the state-run Global Times newspaper.

Yulin officials did not pick up the phone on Tuesday afternoon, outside of working hours.

Last month Chinese border officials seized 213 bear paws – an expensive ingredient in traditional Chinese medicine – and arrested two Russian citizens for trying to smuggle them into the country in vehicle tyres.

GeneChing
10-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Now I'm wondering what other cultures still eat dogs. I know Koreans do. Anyone else know?

Experts warn about risk of rabies outbreak at Yulin dog meat festival (http://shanghaiist.com/2014/10/23/experts-raise-concern-over-rabies-outbreak-during-yulin-dog-meat-fest.php)

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/katienelson/dog-fest5.jpg

Chinese experts this month sent a letter to the government of Yulin, home of the annual and widely controversial dog meat festival, imploring that the traditional gathering of mass canine consumption be brought to an end, as it can increase the risk of contracting rabies.

The seven experts in the fields of veterinary medicine, law and animal welfare said in the letter that the long-distance transport of live dogs further aids the contraction and spread of the deadly viral infection.

In past years, more than 10,000 dogs were estimated to have been slaughtered for the festival, which falls on June 21 every year. Due in part to the barrage of activists and animal-lovers who arrived in Yulin to protest the event this past year, however, it's believed that only some 2,000 canines were consumed at participating restaurants.

The Yulin government has long denied any involvement in organizing the event, yet it insists that it cannot put an end to the activity because China doesn't outlaw eating dog meat. Experts in the letter urged the government to step in, or else face a potential link to a rabies outbreak, according to Xinhua.

"Transporting and butchering so many dogs, if they haven't had the rabies vaccine, will pose a certain risk to those who do the job," the letter said.

Furthermore, the experts pointed to food safety concerns due to unclear sourcing of the dogs. Citing their own investigations, animal welfare groups claim that most of the dogs consumed during the event are strays and pets as well as dogs stolen or poisoned, in Yulin or from other parts of the country.

Certainly enough, just two months ago in Zhejiang, 17 men pled guilty to trading in tons of toxic dog meat which ended up on dinner plates at restaurants. Between 2012 and 2013, the men killed 95 dogs in Ningbo city by poisoning them with cyanide or by shooting them with anesthetic needles.

The Yulin government denies any such risks and says that safety checks have been put in place regulating shipments of dogs that come into the city. Loopholes in the system, however, were acknowledged.

The local government agreed that for now, it would condemn and strictly prohibit public displays of killing during the festival, after last June's event saw vendors trying to extort money from animal lovers by cruelly swinging dogs around by their necks in a taunting display.

PalmStriker
10-23-2014, 02:33 PM
In 10th Century China the Han had humans (including children) on the menu that you could order as long as you could pay for it. *Referred to as 2-legged lamb. In India, out in the countryside there are people who depend on catching grain-fed rats as their main source of food for survival. Breeding/stealing dogs and cats for eating is inexcusable in this day and age.

PalmStriker
10-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Now I'm wondering what other cultures still eat dogs. I know Koreans do. Anyone else know? Mexicans are known for eating dogs.

Kellen Bassette
10-23-2014, 03:10 PM
In some cities in Isaan (north east region of Thailand) they eat dogs. Apparently they come to other provinces to collect them as well.
Thais from other areas can be pretty critical of this...

Also, as Palm Striker was mentioning...rats...apparently the rats from the fields are clean, but rats from a house are dirty and not eaten.

GeneChing
06-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Look: Dog butchers prepare their quarry for Yulin Festival, outraging activists (http://shanghaiist.com/2014/06/12/yulin-dog-meat-festival-activists-outraged.php)

yulin1.jpg (http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/benjamincost/yulin1.jpg)

As the annual Yulin dog meat festival approaches, so does the annual backlash from China's dog-lovers. It's estimated that 10,000 dogs will be slaughtered this year, and activists are doing everything they can to inspire a ban on 'chowing on Chow Chow' - some for the narrow-minded reason of "I like them therefore it's immoral to eat them" (but it's okay to eat other more endangered species), and smarter activists because the festival is suspected of sourcing kidnapped pets and diseased strays.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/benjamincost/yulin2.jpg

IB Times reports:

Ahead of this year's event, due to take place on 21 June, activists across the globe are calling for a halt to the event, with over $20,000 (£11,900) raised by one campaign to help rescue dogs and track those illegally capturing and killing the animals.

However, activists including celebrities, lawyers and food safety experts are calling for an end to the practice. Chinese pop stars Chen Kuna and Yang Mi have supported campaigns against the festival on China's sina Weibo.

An animal rights lawyer in Beijing said that official claims that all dogs are bred by local dog farmers is false. An Xiang said according to research there are no such farms and that all dogs are abducted from the streets.

Authorities state that if this is the case, butchers risk contracting rabies while consumers risk consuming tainted, even highly poisonous meat. This past year officials have busted several clandestine rings involved in poisoning and abducting both pets and strays for food.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/benjamincost/yulin3.jpg

Even still, it's unlikely that the Yulin government will implement a ban anytime soon as many locals have rallied to defend the ancient summer solstice tradition. Said the Yulin deputy mayor last year, "changing the dietary habits of millions of citizens takes time." So in the meantime it looks like they'll be turning wiener dogs into Wienerschnitzel, especially if only 20 activists turn out for this year's event, like they did last year.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/benjamincost/yulin4.jpg
Anti-dog meat demonstrators in Dalian protest the Yulin Festival

According to archaeological findings, dogs have been raised by Chinese for food since 10,000 B.C (it might've even been their first purpose!), and continue to be in several Asian countries. Unfortunately, it seems more and more are turning from using designated food dogs to abducting Lassie to satisfy their canine cravings.

[Pics via Xinhuanet.com]

Contact the author of this article or email tips@shanghaiist.com with further questions, comments or tips.
By Benjamin Cost in Food on Jun 12, 2014 6:00 PM

Consuming tainted, even highly poisonous meat is an issue no matter what species it may be.

MarathonTmatt
06-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Now I'm wondering what other cultures still eat dogs. I know Koreans do. Anyone else know?

Some of the North American Native cultures ate dog (yes there was a breed or two of dog in N. America and more breeds were introduced during/ after colonial times) during an important time of the year (similar concept as the Chinese eating dog to celebrate the solstice... for a very special occasion.)

There is a significance why a special dog (s) was specially chosen... perhaps their fur coat was white, for instance. White was a significant color that meant something.

Of course, this is from an old tradition and is looking into the past. Its rare that this would still happen in certain communities. For the most part, it doesn't happen anymore. But once in a while you might hear a Native person joke about this subject.

For the record, it is taboo in certain cultures to eat animals that most Americans take for granted. In India alot of people do not eat cows. Jewish people do not eat pigs. Also, western people usually do not eat any of the organs of the animal, which is where all the good nutrients are (beef tendon, chicken hearts, etc.) which is very curious. Only the "meat" is processed for the consumption of the mass population. I say, they are feeding us junk.

Also, in the modern world, animal rights activists may have a point about how the dogs are treated. Times have changed. I have no problem going into the bush, hunting an animal for it's pelt, such as a beaver or skunk, and tanning it's hide, and making a pouch out of the animal, so long as this animal is not endangered in anyway and the animal "presents" itself to me. However, I would never go out and buy a fur coat or fur clothing at a retail store- the animals there are penned all day and the treatment is just horrible. In fact, I would say, boycott such places.

David Jamieson
06-12-2015, 06:21 AM
In ww2, pretty much all European cultures ate dog meat. It has since become a thing of the past.
There are African cultures and of course most notably Asian cultures that still do it. Particularly Mainland China and Korea, which actually has a specific breed of dog that is bred for it's meat.

the idea that one culture should dictate the dietary habits of another is entirely absurd as far as I'm concerned. Like anything else, if there is to be change, it will be from within. :)

curenado
06-12-2015, 11:03 AM
No!
I'd eat likes of you before a dog! Eat the trog, keep the dog grasshopper! The latter your friend, the former turns regardless of your aid or favor.
One of those threads it's obligatory.....I always thought monkey eaters beneath the level of an animal too.

bawang
06-15-2015, 01:00 PM
In 10th Century China the Han had humans (including children) on the menu that you could order as long as you could pay for it. *Referred to as 2-legged lamb. In India, out in the countryside there are people who depend on catching grain-fed rats as their main source of food for survival. Breeding/stealing dogs and cats for eating is inexcusable in this day and age.

i eat ur mama poosy

fried dog leg taste pretty good

curenado
06-15-2015, 02:51 PM
That's one thing you won't have to worry about. Ain't nobody plating up you!

David Jamieson
06-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I don't know how much of the protest is just spouting propaganda from offense in some attempt to ridicule Chinese people.

Ricky Gervais and Paris Hilton tweets are everywhere.

I bet they've never been and have never documented this event. The whole campaign here in the west seems like poorly veiled racism to me. As in "Look at all the backwards Chinese eating dogs, those savages" etc etc.

I think people have lost a sense of plurality or relativism in cultural practices. Their bigotry knows no bounds. What is the difference between killing an animal and eating it and killing another animal and eating it? Nothing. You're still killing animals and eating them.

dog lovers... well, I don't think people are "dog lovers". Mostly, they're just bigots who like to think themselves superior because of their sanitized lifestyle.

Oh, and I don't think there is such a thing as a humane killing when it comes to eating. When it is a suffering en of life situation, that is the only time a killing is humane. The rest of the time, it's self interest.

Just saying.

curenado
06-19-2015, 01:51 AM
I don't know how much of the protest is just spouting propaganda from offense in some attempt to ridicule Chinese people.

Ricky Gervais and Paris Hilton tweets are everywhere.

I bet they've never been and have never documented this event. The whole campaign here in the west seems like poorly veiled racism to me. As in "Look at all the backwards Chinese eating dogs, those savages" etc etc.

I think people have lost a sense of plurality or relativism in cultural practices. Their bigotry knows no bounds. What is the difference between killing an animal and eating it and killing another animal and eating it? Nothing. You're still killing animals and eating them.

dog lovers... well, I don't think people are "dog lovers". Mostly, they're just bigots who like to think themselves superior because of their sanitized lifestyle.

Oh, and I don't think there is such a thing as a humane killing when it comes to eating. When it is a suffering en of life situation, that is the only time a killing is humane. The rest of the time, it's self interest.

Just saying.

All that to champion a disgusting practice that revIles people and try to hide it behind a really ***goty diatribe about racism? Give me a break pffft!

David Jamieson
06-19-2015, 05:33 AM
All that to champion a disgusting practice that revIles people and try to hide it behind a really ***goty diatribe about racism? Give me a break pffft!

Do you eat meat?

Mor Sao
06-19-2015, 06:49 AM
I eat everything.

Anyone who looks down their nose at dog or cat but gobbles down cow, chicken, fish etc is nothing but a hypocrite that should be called such.

Food is food.

Animals are not people and even though they might be cute. If I am hungry I will eat them and not blink an eye.

David Jamieson
06-19-2015, 08:44 AM
I eat everything.

Anyone who looks down their nose at dog or cat but gobbles down cow, chicken, fish etc is nothing but a hypocrite that should be called such.

Food is food.

Animals are not people and even though they might be cute. If I am hungry I will eat them and not blink an eye.

Indeed. This is the point I was getting at.
We cannot judge one culture based on our standards.

bawang
06-19-2015, 10:33 AM
dogs and cats are carnivores so eating them give u neutral karma. they are also bad people from previous life so ur carrying out ddharma. pig and cows never hurt living animals so eating them give u negative karma

that china dog festival village must be close to teleporting to another dimension wit the karma they collecting

Lucas
06-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Eating dog in Vietnam is still common

GeneChing
09-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Strange how the number 400 comes up twice here.

Shanghai shelter struggles to help dogs rescued from Yulin festival (http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20150901000003&cid=1103&MainCatID=0&utm_content=buffer2415e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer)
Staff Reporter 2015-09-01 09:12 (GMT+8)

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/newsphoto/2015-09-01/450/C621N0111H_B54_2014%E8%B3%87%E6%96%99%E7%85%A7%E7% 89%87_N71_copy1.JPG
A stand selling dog meat at last year's Lychee and Dog Meat Festival in Yulin, June 21, 2014. (File photo/Xinhua)

Animal rights activists may count a qualified victory in managing to save dogs from slaughter at the annual dog meat festival in southern China by buying them on site, but the escape of the "Yulin dogs" to a shelter in Shanghai has not guaranteed their survival, reports the Chinese-language Reference News.

The controversial Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, held annually in late June in South China's Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, has begun in recent years to draw international attention and criticism as an estimated 10,000 dogs are slaughtered for food during the event. This year, one animal protection shelter in Shanghai that has been sheltering "Yulin dogs" saw the arrival of nearly 1,400 dogs otherwise destined for slaughter that had been purchased by well-meaning activists.

The dogs were shipped on a 35-hour journey before arriving at the shelter and joining the 400 dogs rescued from last year's festival, according to Hong Kong's Sing Pao.

Life at the shelter is rough for the animals, however, Reference News reported, and one of the shelter's volunteers says dogs have been dying every day since their arrival. The shelter speculates that the confined conditions of the journey from Yulin enabled the easy spread of canine distemper, one of the leading causes of death among canines.

Some dogs were already dead by the time they arrived, crushed in the tight confines, said one of the volunteers. "A considerable number were killed by distemper...and some have managed to find homes," another added.

After a little over two months since the new arrivals, only 400 dogs remain at the shelter, the report said.

When the issue was at the forefront of the nation's attention in July, the shelter was showered in funds and aid with dozens of volunteers, veterinarians and food coming in from all over the country, said Chang Fan, one of the shelter's volunteers. Now that the attention has died down, however, the shelter has only three regular volunteers and struggles to make ends meet from donations. The dogs' future thus still remains unclear despite their rescue, the report said.

Jimbo
09-01-2015, 03:54 PM
We cannot judge one culture based on our standards.

Very true.

There is evidence that some animals commonly accepted as food sources are as smart as dogs...in particular, pet pigs. It's said that pigs can be smarter, and more "empathetic" than dogs, and even chimps. Yet no one in the U.S. (except maybe vegans) ever *****es about people killing pigs and eating bacon, ham, or pork chops.

I personally don't eat beef, pork, and I wouldn't eat dog, but I do eat poultry. And I wouldn't pass judgment on someone who eats those things. People get really self-righteous about dogs, yet don't consider that in some places, like India (or certain places within India) people wouldn't even consider killing a cow.

boxerbilly
09-03-2015, 12:51 PM
This thread made me bail out the forum. I admit, I was offended. I understand cultural differences, etc. Still, I had issues.

Goats and Sheep were probably the first domesticated animals. Primarily for food. Cats and dogs later, almost universally not as food. But for their protection and attributes when it came to other things that assisted our survival. Essentially we helped each others species stay alive and potentially thrive. That said, all areas probably had to eat them at one time or another.

That is all I have to say on this subject. Enjoy your meat.

GeneChing
09-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Survival of Rescued 'Yulin Dogs' in Question (http://en.yibada.com/articles/59664/20150902/survival-rescued-yulin-dogs-question.htm)
Vanna Emia | Sep 02, 2015 09:25 PM EDT

http://images.en.yibada.com/data/images/full/39545/of-the-1-400-dogs-rescued-from-the-clutches-of-the-lychee-and-dog-meat-festival-only-400-dogs-remain-at-the-shelter.jpg?w=685
Of the 1,400 dogs rescued from the clutches of the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, only 400 dogs remain at the shelter. (Photo : Reuters)

Animal rights activists from China and other parts of the globe rejoiced when a great number of K9s were rescued from slaughter for the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival. However, it seems as if the “Yulin dogs” are up for another trial in their lives.

The dogs were purchased by well-meaning activists to save them from mass slaughter and consumption.

According to a report made by Chinese-language Reference News, the survival of the "Yulin dogs" in a Shanghai shelter is not guaranteed. One volunteer said that life is rough for the dogs, and quite a number have already died since their arrival.

For their part, the shelter speculates that the confined conditions the dogs endured during their 35-hour journey from Yulin to Shanghai may have allowed the easy spread of canine distemper, a leading cause of death for canines.

"A considerable number were killed by distemper . . . and some have managed to find homes," said one volunteer.

Another individual added that some dogs were already dead when they arrived in the shelter.

The shelter was flooded with donations in kind when the issue of the dog meat festival came to the attention of most Chinese people back in July. Many also turned up to volunteer, including veterinarians.

However, as the media frenzy surrounding the controversial festival has died down, the shelter is now manned by only three regular volunteers who struggle with limited resources, mostly from donations.

Of the 1,400 dogs rescued from the clutches of the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival, only 400 dogs remain at the shelter.

This thread made me bail out the forum. I admit, I was offended.
srsly? of all the offensive threads here, this was the one? :confused:

boxerbilly
09-03-2015, 04:07 PM
I don't offend easily. Most of the stuff you guys go on about is pretty weak in my opinion. But, I love cats and dogs. What can I say? I'm a softy.

GeneChing
09-08-2015, 12:09 PM
But, I love cats and dogs. All the more reason you should know what's up with this, bb. I love cats and dogs too. I have eaten dog a long time ago in China, the folly of my youth. I don't eat land meat anymore at all.

That being said, maybe you should just block this thread if it offends you, bb. I don't have that luxury, but you do.

This one has some particularly harsh imagery for dog lovers.

Woman stabs herself in leg after animal activists block truck carrying 200 dogs (http://shanghaiist.com/2015/09/08/woman-stabs-self-leg-animal-activists-block-truck-carrying-200-dogs.php)

http://shanghaiist.com/upload/2015/09/dog-truck-stabmain.jpg

A dramatic scene ensued at a highway toll station in Xi'an yesterday morning when a group of animal protection activists stopped a truck carrying over 200 dogs, prompting the driver's wife to stab herself in the thigh in protest.

The truck was blocked by more than 60 volunteers from the Xi'an Small Animal Protection Association, who called in officials from the Yanta District Quarantine Station for Animals, according to CCTV News.

When the truck driver failed to produce a government-issued sanitation certificate to transport the dogs, the officials demanded to have the animals temporarily detained.

As the roadside confrontation escalated, the driver's wife became emotional, took out a kitchen knife and stabbed herself in the leg.

http://shanghaiist.com/upload/2015/09/dog-truck-stab.jpg

Police arrived at the scene along with an ambulance and the woman was taken to the hospital with her husband.

The dogs were transferred to a shelter belonging to the association after animal quarantine officials confirmed that they had been illegally transported.

http://shanghaiist.com/upload/2015/09/dog-truck-stab3.jpg

Officials have tightened the regulation of shipments of dogs being sold to restaurants and festivals such as the mass summer gathering in Yulin following expert warnings that the long-distance transport of strays can spread diseases.

“We are just delivering the goods, we’ve been blocked here since 2:00 a.m. and they kept calling us dog rustlers, it’s unbearable," the driver said.

http://shanghaiist.com/upload/2015/09/dog-truck-stab5.jpg

In other animal activist news, a volunteer group in Shenyang, Liaoning has accused a middle-aged woman of cheating residents out of money meant for a sick dog she'd been "parading around the streets".

The stray had reportedly been disfigured by acid months ago and adopted by the woman.

"The dog's eyelids were so severely mutilated that it can't even close its eyes. It has been five months since this fraud adopted the dog, and she has done nothing to treat it," one activist said in a Global Times report.

"We wanted to take the dog away, but [its adopter] refused and threatened us by biting her own wrist," another volunteer said.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/katienelson/woman-dog-disfigured.jpg

No animal-welfare laws currently exist in China, but this hasn't stopped homegrown activists across the country from taking action.

Dozens of pet lovers showed up at the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival in Guangxi this past summer to purchase dogs doomed to be slaughtered and eaten. Last year, activists in Wuhan blocked off a truck carrying over 2,800 cats headed to Guangxi to be sold for meat.

[Images via CCTV // Sina]

GeneChing
09-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Sorry bb. Hope you've bailed out of following this thread by now.

Pair detained for poisoning dogs to sell for meat in Shanghai (http://shanghaiist.com/2015/09/09/pair_detained_for_poisoning_dogs_to.php)

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/katienelson/dog-thievesmain.jpg

Two men suspected of poisoning dogs then selling the meat to restaurants were arrested in Shanghai's Songjiang district
The suspects, Li and Zhou, killed the dogs using poison darts and bones tainted with cyanide, Shanghai Daily reports.
According to police, they drove through the streets and threw the cyanide-laced bones at the dogs. Once the animal chewed on the bone, it would fall over dead and the men would pack it up in their van. It's believed that they used this method to kill at least five dogs from June to early July, selling some of the carcasses to markets for meat.
The pair also used a crossbow and poison darts to kill six dogs in late July. It's unclear whether the animals poisoned were strays or pets.
Li and Zhou now face charges of selling toxic food, although there are no reports of people becoming ill from eating the meat.
Sadly, such cases have been seen before. In December, it was reported that dog thieves in Hebei province killed up to eight dogs a day roaming the streets armed with poisoned darts. Months before, 17 men in Zhejiang pled guilty to trading in tons of toxic dog meat that ended up being sold to restaurants and eaten.
While animal protection laws may not exist in China, dog-nappers can still face legal trouble if they are found to have distributed potentially poisoned meat. Still, some choose to hand down punishment in their own way. In an infamous case from Guilin last April, two men caught stealing dogs to sell for meat were brutally beaten by a mob of villagers.
[Image via]

boxerbilly
09-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Sorry bb. Hope you've bailed out of following this thread by now.

No need to apologize Bossman. It is what it is. I get it.

GeneChing
01-25-2016, 09:55 AM
...or perhaps they fuel?

Western tourists fuelling demand for 'abhorrent' dog meat trade in Southeast Asia, activists say (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/western-tourists-fuelling-demand-for-abhorrent-dog-meat-trade-in-southeast-asia-activists-say-a6829176.html)
Some of the animals are boiled alive because of a belief it tenderises the meat
Lizzie Dearden @lizziedearden Saturday 23 January 2016

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/06/08/13/yulin-8.jpg
Caged dogs sit on the side of Renminzhong Road, waiting to be transferred to a slaughterhouse in a narrow alley AP/Humane Society International

Western tourists are funding “abhorrent cruelty" in the dog meat trade that sees family pets stolen, skinned and boiled alive, activists say.

The Soi Dog Foundation, which campaigns against the practice in Vietnam, China and South Korea, said what would be a waning tradition is being fuelled by foreign consumers.

John Dalley, the charity’s co-founder and vice president, told ABC News that the animals are clubbed to death “if they are lucky” but others are strung up and skinned, burned or boiled alive.

“The cruelty is abhorrent. There is literally no method to the slaughter, it's almost madness,” he said.

“What we are seeing more and more of is tour guides in Vietnam, pushing Western tourists to try dog meat, because it is a cultural thing.

“Tourists are not realising what the dog has gone through and also the danger they are putting themselves in - the health issues are real.”

Rabies has been found in dog meat, although it cannot transmit the disease to humans, and it has also been linked to outbreaks of cholera.

An estimated five million dogs are eaten in Vietnam every year and 2.5 million in the Korean Peninsula, while activists believe 70 per cent of those are stolen pets.

Celebrities including Ricky Gervais and Dame Judi Dench have appeared in a campaign video by the Soi Dog Foundation to raise awareness of the horrific trade.

Warning: Some viewers may find scenes in this video distressing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gerA3kWXEz4

“I didn’t know that these innocent creatures are crammed into cages so brutally that their bones almost break, so tightly that they can’t move,” Dame Judi said.

“They’re trapped like this for the smuggled journey, which can take days.”

Footage filmed by activists shows dogs being thrown into cages where they are left starving and crying, before being stacked on to lorries for transport.

Many are crushed or suffocated on the journey, while others starve or die of thirst.

Some abattoirs boil the dogs alive because of the belief that the adrenaline released during pain tenderises the meat.

Authorities are cracking down on the trade in dogs for meat and skin in Thailand, which is often linked to organised gangs exporting to Vietnam and China.

All meat is treated harshly. Cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys...we just relate to dogs better.

GeneChing
02-25-2016, 11:14 AM
This is the epitome of a bad employee. I can't imagine there are that many wild corgis in China. What an idiot. :mad:

Chinese factory worker cooks and eats employer’s ‘wild’ corgi (http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/1915101/chinese-factory-worker-cooks-and-eats-employers-wild-corgi)
PUBLISHED : Sunday, 21 February, 2016, 8:54pm
UPDATED : Monday, 22 February, 2016, 12:28am
Gloria Chan gloria.chan@scmp.com

http://cdn4.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/486x302/public/images/methode/2016/02/21/4b9bcc9e-d898-11e5-855c-84ae337d929d_1280x720.jpg?itok=WlwR3rOn
A Pembroke Welsh Corgi. The animal at the centre of the dispute was worth US$1,840, according to The Mirror newspaper. Photo: AFP

A factory worker in eastern China has been charged with theft and released on bail after killing and eating his employer’s corgi because he thought it was “wild”, a Beijing newspaper reported.

The man, surnamed Zhang, found the corgi in the public toilets at the factory grounds in Xuzhou, Jiangsu province, on February 13, according to The Mirror.

Thinking it was a wild dog, Zhang beat it to death with a wooden stick, then took the dog's body to his staff quarters that night. He and his two roommates shaved and skinned the dog, then cooked and ate it the next day.

The dog was worth an estimated 12,000 yuan (US$1,840 or HK$14,300).

They did not know that the dog was their employer’s pet until the factory owner, surnamed Wang, put up a notice about the missing animal the next day, offering a reward of 8,000 yuan for any information about it.
http://www.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/236w/public/images/methode/2016/02/21/137daf04-d888-11e5-855c-84ae337d929d_236x.jpg?itok=XTr4pMPF
The “missing” poster the owner put up. Photo: SCMP pictures

Wang received a phone call from a factory worker saying that he saw Zhang beating a dog on the night it went missing. Wang visited Zhang’s quarters where he found the floor covered with dog fur and a knife with fur stuck to it.

“I thought it was a wild dog, I did not know it was so precious,” Zhang was quoted as saying. He and his roommates offered to pay Wang for his loss, but Wang refused and took the three men to the police station.

Zhang was charged with theft and released on bail. The other two men were fired by Wang.

According to Wang, he bought the corgi as a month-old puppy for his daughter in May last year.

Ronald Arjune
03-03-2016, 08:55 PM
A long time ago (+/-1980 when I was 17) as I was leaving Canal street in Manhattan's China town I saw meat in the window of a store and I was hurt. I went in the store and asked the inhabitant if they had dog meat in dismay not knowing that dogs would suffer a consequence of saying that. How can dogs ever forgive me? Man's best friend are dogs and eating dog meat shows you have no honor for yourself and man and I can see it in your misbehavior around me. When I was 8 or 9 I threw a dog in the latrine in Guyana and my sister Ann got someone to retrieve the dog. This is why we may have endured complex situations in the past and currently (like war and broken cars). I think they manipulated my soul to make me do that.

Time ratio 17:02 ∆ Force forgotten 03-03-1963 dogs

GeneChing
04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
A hashtag to support.

Thousands of dogs killed for Chinese dog meat festival (http://www.aww.com.au/latest-news/news-stories/thousands-of-dogs-killed-for-chinese-dog-meat-festival-26354)
Animal rights activists globally shun this shocking festival #stopyulin.
Apr 5, 20162

http://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/AWW/2016/04/05/26354/yulin-Main.jpg?width=1174&height=&mode=crop&anchor=topcenter&quality=75

Gruesome images have surfaced of hundreds of terrified dogs being slaughtered, skinned, and cooked in China for the annual Yulin Dog Meat Festival.

A reported ten thousand cats and dogs will be slaughtered over the Summer solstice, reports The Sun.

The festival has been condemned by animal welfare groups globally, yet every year the same images rock the world, and every year animal rights activists beg the Chinese Government to stop this barbaric act on man’s best friend.

Chinese authorities have guaranteed that the tradition of eating dog meat would only be observed during the festival in June, however an animal rights activist group claim that over 300 dogs and cats are killed for eating every day in Yulin.

Many of the animals are wearing collars which indicated that they are domestic pets that have been stolen for trade.

“The dogs and cats I saw were visibly traumatised, their spirits broken from their terrifying ordeal,´said Dr Peter Li, HIS’s China Policy Specialist.

“It's hard to imagine their mental suffering, watching other dogs being killed, disembowelled and dismembered in front of them. It was like a scene from a nightmare that will haunt me forever.

“It shocked me to see how close these awful scenes are to local schools, with a high risk of young children being exposed to sounds and sights of extreme animal suffering.

“And it is apparent from the volume of dogs, and animals wearing pet collars, that Yulin remains a hub for dog and cat theft.”

http://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/aww/2016/04/05/1459814044590_GettyImages-477522418.jpg?width=1174&height=&mode=crop&anchor=topcenter&quality=75

It is believed that between 10 and 20 million dogs are killed for consumption annually in China, a practice that The World Trade Organisation confirms is linked to cholera and rabies.

Humane Society International are leading the campaign to #StopYulin. The online petition can be signed at here.
The petition will be submitted to Chinese officials in June.

highlypotion
04-30-2016, 01:14 AM
Nope and I'm not planning to taste one.

GeneChing
06-08-2016, 09:09 AM
He means 'summer solstice' :rolleyes:

As Yulin Dog Meat Festival Ramps Up, So Do Protests in China and Abroad (https://thenanfang.com/protests-yulin-dog-meat-festival-china-abroad/)
The winter solstice is on June 22

Charles Liu, June 8, 2016 5:41pm

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/jilin-protest-yulin-dog-meat-festival-01.jpg

As the summer solstice on June 21 draws near, so does the Yulin Dog Meat Festival. With two weeks left to go, the annual Guangxi festival is drawing protests from animal welfare activists both inside China and abroad.

Although located at the opposite end of the country, Jilin hosted a public demonstration against the Yulin Dog Meat Festival. Some 100 protesters gathered in the city’s People’s Square and stood behind the message, “Jilin protests the Yulin Dog Meat Festival”.

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/jilin-protest-yulin-dog-meat-festival-03.jpg

Meanwhile, protesters outside the country targeted Chinese Embassies in London, New York, and Dublin (shown above) last week in order to pressure the Chinese government into stopping the Yulin Dog Meat Festival.

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/jilin-protest-yulin-dog-meat-festival-04.jpeg

Hundreds of protesters including celebrity Carrie Fisher and Labor Party MP Rob Flello were on hand in London when a petition with 11 million signatures was delivered to the embassy (shown above).

International attention against the Yulin Dog Meat Festival came to prominence last year with a number of online campaigns. A Twitter hasthag “#StopYulin2015” received some 250,000 retweets, while a Change.org petition received 200,000 signatures. However, much of the international attention last year made Chinese netizens reject any criticism because it was coming from abroad.

Unfortunately, last year’s efforts to rescue dogs from being slaughtered for the Yulin Dog Meat Festival haven’t been successful. Despite the fortune spent to buy their freedom, only 440 out of the 1,381 rescued dogs had survived as of last September. Many of the rescued dogs had succumbed to illnesses. Dog rescuers said support and money to care for the dogs had dried up in the months following the festival.

Source: 365 Jilin, HuffPo, Humane Society International, UTV, Global Times
Photos: 365 Jilin, HuffPo, UTV, Global Times

GeneChing
06-21-2016, 11:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbwbD8JcJgY

GeneChing
03-13-2017, 09:35 AM
I was trying to think up something analogous for another race, just for comparison, but everything came up so offensive, that I'll just post this without that.

China demands German retailer apologize to the Chinese people for 'Save a dog, eat a Chinese' shirts (http://shanghaiist.com/2017/03/13/save_a_dog_eat_a_chinese_apology.php)
BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS ON MAR 13, 2017 5:00 PM

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/save_a_dog.jpg

The Chinese Embassy in Berlin has demanded an apology from the German online retailer that was caught last week selling offensive shirts on its site.
Spreadshirt.com allows users to create their own T-shirt designs and then sell them on its online platform. Recently, two of its users decided to take advantage of this creative freedom to create a pair of controversial designs, reading: "Save a dog, eat a Chinese" and "Save a shark, eat a Chinese." The racist designs made international news, causing a horde of angry netizens to descend upon the German company's social media pages.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/save_a_dog2.jpg
http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/save_a_dog3.jpg

Apparently, the Chinese government were also not fans of the designers' work. The Chinese Embassy in Berlin has demanded that Spreadshirt.com remove all associated products from its site, offer appropriate explanations and make an apology to the Chinese people. The embassy has even gone so far as to issue a complaint to the German government, demanding that Germany "tighten regulations to avoid the risk of hurting the feelings of the people's of the two countries."
An editorial published by the Global Times over the weekend tried to link the t-shirt controversy to a "disturbing pattern" of double standards when it comes to racism against Chinese that it claims is partly supported by "biased coverage" from Western media:

The company initially argued that the expressions are meant to be humorous not racist. How could these obvious racist and offensive remarks be allowed to appear on a product? Is Spreadshirt.com too numb about the boundary of racial discrimination or could it be that it just doesn't care about how the Chinese people would feel when the company touts racist slur as creative design?
From time to time, similar incidents have occurred in Western countries, but it is often dismissed as slip of the tongue, a careless joke or even considered as freedom of expression. It is unimaginable that anyone or any company could display racist remarks without worrying about the backlash. Put it another way, will anyone take anti-Semitic expression as humorous or creative in Germany?
"Spreadshirt.com is now notorious in the eyes of Chinese people. Those who intend to engage with China should know where the bottom line is," the editorial ends.
While a Spreadshirt.com spokesperson did say that the controversial T-shirt design were meant to be humorous and not racist, and stated that they would not be pulled from the site, the designs have in fact disappeared from the platform. Meanwhile, its not clear what kind of regulations could be put in place to prevent this from happening again. Spreadshirt.com likely does not have the manpower to content check each of its user's t-shirt designs.
Additionally, similar t-shirt designs have been spotted up for sale at various online shopping sites, including Zazzle and Amazon. The Chinese Embassy in Washington has yet to seek out an apology from either of these companies.

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/save_a_dog5.jpg
http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/save_a_dog6.jpg

Cataphract
03-13-2017, 10:39 AM
In Germany eating people is a sign of affection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBvwcH4XX6U

But Chinese officials throwing a fit over deplorable but ultimately silly user content and demanding new laws? Nonsense. Why don't they even try to sue with the existing laws? Maybe fallout from admitting Ai Weiwei.

Esvol
08-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Oh no!! I hope this never happens. and if it happens, I do not want to know about it:(

highlypotion
05-14-2018, 12:56 PM
A big NO for me. But I have some friends in the Philippines who eat dogs. They love it especially when their drinking beers.

GeneChing
07-18-2018, 08:02 AM
There's an embedded vid if you follow the link.

KIM BASINGER & PRISCILLA PRESLEY
DEAD SERIOUS
Protesting Korea's Dog Meat Trade (http://www.tmz.com/2018/07/17/kim-basinger-priscilla-presley-dead-dogs-protest-meat-trade-korea/)
7/17/2018 3:08 PM PDT
Kim Basinger and Priscilla Presley Use Dead Dogs to Protest Korea's Dog Meat Trade

Kim Basinger held a photo of dead dogs skinned and hanging on hooks to protest the dog meat trade in Korea, but Priscilla Presley took it a step further ... by holding an actual dead canine.

We talked to Kim at the protest, which went down in L.A. Tuesday at the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea, and she says the demonstration is about speaking out against what's wrong ... and killing dogs is definitely wrong.

She admits the dog meat trade has been part of Korean culture, especially with the older generation in S. Korea ... but she thinks it's time for a change.

https://images.tmz.com/2018/07/17/071718-dog-protest-primary-1.jpg

The protest itself got very graphic. Basinger and many others from the group Last Chance for Animals held signs with disturbing images reading "Stop Dog Meat" ... while Presley and a few other women looked to be holding dead animals.

Other celebs at the protest included Donna D'Errico and EG Daily and Basinger's boyfriend, Mitch Stone. There were also 2 more protests in D.C. and Seoul.

The poor dead dogs were reportedly recently euthanized and provided by a local L.A. vet for "shock factor."

It definitely did the trick.

boxerbilly
07-18-2018, 09:17 AM
I disagree 99%.

GeneChing
04-17-2019, 08:47 AM
This isn't as bad as most Busted MMA fighters and fights (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52219-Busted-MMA-fighters-and-fights) entires...and Koreans eat dogs (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61165-Anyone-here-ever-eat-dog) too. How come they seldom get called out on it? Koreans run a surprising amount of Japanese and Chinese restaurants in the U.S.

Ryan General·April 15, 2019·4 min read
MMA Fighter Blasted For Racist Video Mocking Random Japanese People as Dog Eaters (https://nextshark.com/daron-cruickshank-racist-video-japanese-dog/)
'Just a joke, relax.'

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/fghter.jpg

Mixed martial arts fighter Daron Cruickshank is being called out for mocking random Japanese people with the dog-eating stereotype in a video posted on his Instagram.

Cruickshank, who earns a living in Asia, is employed by RIZIN Fighting Federation, a Japanese MMA company.

In his controversial clip, re-uploaded by MMA apparel label Dynasty Clothing on its Facebook page, showed the MMA fighter inside a pet store which he dubbed a “Japanese meat market.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhs68yQLfWw

Referring to a group of Asians in his video, Cruickshank noted that they are “checking out what they’re gonna eat for dinner.”
“Yummy huh? Yummy?” he asked while laughing at the clueless onlookers.

Cruickshank then posted a link of the clip on Twitter, writing, “Ok, I recently learned that it’s not the Japanese that eat dog. It’s the Chinese… #funnyvideos #funnymemes…”

https://nextshark-vxdsockgvw3ki.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/grow2.jpg

Responding to early criticisms from fans and fellow MMA fighters on social media, he brushed it off as “just a joke,” advising everyone to “relax.”

The joke, of course, is that they must be looking to eat the dogs because they are Asians.

Finding nothing funny about the whole thing, Dynasty Clothing berated Cruickshank for his juvenile stunt.

“Posting anti-Asian ‘jokes’ to mock Asians while ironically being employed by Asian companies and while fighting/working in Asia is moronic, shameful, and wrong.”

“For the record, if you travel anywhere in the world, different people from many different cultures including within Europe and Scandinavia also consume different animals such as dogs, cats, horses, whales, cows, seals, maggots, etc. – yet you won’t hear a single word about this in the media,” the post read.

“Just because western media loves to highlight what small groups of people in Asia like to consume, doesn’t mean all Asians consume the same thing,” it added.

The brand further noted how individuals like Cruickshank “contribute to the perpetuation of harmful stereotypes against Asians worldwide with his fanbase / online which should have no place in martial arts or the world.”

The post, which tagged ONE Championship owner Victor Cui and chairman Chatri Sityodtong, reminded Cruickshank how his career depended on the culture he is making fun of.

“Himself a practitioner of Asian martial arts, while employed by Asian MMA companies such as RIZIN Fighting Federation – Daron has forgotten that without Asian people or culture – he wouldn’t even have a career in the first place.”

Cruickshank has since deleted the video but has yet to apologize for his actions.

Featured image via YouTube/daron cruickshank and Facebook/DynastyClothingStore

Jimbo
04-17-2019, 10:10 AM
This guy c0ckshank is an idiot. "Duuhhhh...I recently learned it's not the Japanese that eat dog. Duuhhh."

How does this doofus even have a fan base at all, LOL.

GeneChing
12-27-2019, 08:34 AM
I remember Leno threatening to deport Jet Li because Li wouldn't teach him any wushu moves. Li said Leno was too old and tried to show him some Tai Chi.

Asian American Advocacy Group Calls on NBC to Sever Ties With Jay Leno (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/asian-american-advocacy-group-calls-nbc-sever-ties-jay-leno-1262741)
5:39 PM PST 12/13/2019 by Sharareh Drury

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/landscape_928x523/2019/12/jay_leno.jpg
Paul Morigi/Getty Images
Jay Leno

MANAA's founding president Guy Aoki said in a statement that the late night host has "been an unrepentant repeat offender and still has a bizarre fixation with Asians eating dogs."
Media Action Network for Asian Americans is calling on NBC to end its business ties with Jay Leno.

In a statement about the former Tonight Show host, the organization references Leno's August appearance on America's Got Talent and a racially insensitive joke he made regarding Koreans eating dog meat. While the joke was cut from the variety show's broadcast, it was included in a report about Gabrielle Union's outcry over the show's problematic workplace culture during production of season 14 (The Hollywood Reporter confirmed the joke was uttered). Union was dismissed after one season on the NBC show alongside fellow freshman judge Julianne Hough.

MANAA's founding president Guy Aoki shared in a statement that the organization is asking for "NBC to end its business relationship" with Leno, as CNBC has also aired several seasons of Jay Leno's Garage.

NBC declined to comment.

"Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) has been well aware of Leno's habit of making these jokes about 'man's best friend,'" Aoki said in the statement. "Over a 10-year period, we and other members of the Asian Pacific American Media Coalition (which has met with the networks since 1999/2000 to push for better inclusion and depiction of Asian Americans) met and corresponded with NBC executives about this. Then-NBC executive vice president of diversity Paula Madison also had a confrontation with the then-Tonight Show host, but the matter only got resolved after the APAMC's second attempt to go after Leno's advertisers in 2012."

The statement adds that despite multiple meetings with NBC executives, including "admonishment from a high-ranking NBC executive and two advertiser campaigns," Leno has "been an unrepentant repeat offender and still has a bizarre fixation with Asians eating dogs."

Aoki explained the significance of these jokes, revisiting a 2012 letter to The Tonight Show advertisers.

"Many Americans are unable to distinguish between persons of Korean heritage living in North Korea, South Korea or the U.S., or between Asians and Asian Americans generally," Aoki had written in 2012. "Therefore, when Mr. Leno jokes about North Koreans and the consumption of dogs and cats, he perpetuates a persistent belief held by many Americans that Asian Americans and Korean Americans are perpetual foreigners who bring their objectionable dining habits to the U.S. We are not accepted as real Americans; rather, we are subjected to ridicule, disdain and abuse, which has resulted in a rise in racial profiling and hate crimes against Asians, Asian Americans and immigrants."

SHARAREH DRURY
sharareh.drury@thr.com
shararehdrury

GeneChing
02-25-2020, 08:49 AM
China Bans Trade, Consumption of Wild Animals Due to Coronavirus (https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-24/china-bans-trade-consumption-of-wild-animals-due-to-coronavirus)
Feb. 24, 2020, at 8:58 p.m.
U.S. News & World Report

https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/15d240c/2147483647/thumbnail/970x647/quality/85/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%2Fb6%2F17 06d32361357ed2eef75655e7c7b0%2Ftag%3Areuters.com%2 C2020%3Anewsml_LYNXNPEG1O04U%3A22020-02-25T021529Z_2_LYNXNPEG1O04U_RTROPTP_3_CHINA-HEALTH-WILDLIFE.JPG
FILE PHOTO: Butchered dogs are displayed for sale at a stall inside a meat market during the local dog meat festival in Yulin, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China June 21, 2018. REUTERS/Tyrone SiuREUTERS

HONG KONG (REUTERS) - China's top legislature said it will immediately ban the trade and consumption of wild animals, in a fast-track decision it says will allow the country to win the battle against the coronavirus outbreak.

The announcement, made late on Monday according to the official Xinhua News Agency, comes after an initial suspension of the trade and consumption of wildlife in January.

Scientists suspect, but have not proven, that the new coronavirus passed to humans from animals. The disease has now killed almost 2,700 people in China and spread to countries around the globe.

Some of the earliest infections were found in people who had exposure to a wildlife market in Hubei's provincial capital Wuhan, where bats, snakes, civets and other animals were sold.

"There has been a growing concern among people over the consumption of wild animals and the hidden dangers it brings to public health security since the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak," said Zhang Tiewei, a spokesman for the top legislature's Legislative Affairs Commission.

Zhang said it was both urgent and necessary for the decision to be made at the "critical moment for the epidemic prevention and control".

The decision, made by the National People's Congress, stipulates the illegal consumption and trade of wildlife will be "severely punished" as will be hunting, trading or transporting wild animals for the purpose of consumption.

The use of wild animals for non-edible purposes, including scientific research, medical use and display, will be subject to strict examination, approval and quarantine inspection.

Prior to the announcement, traders legally selling donkey, dog, deer, crocodile and other meat told Reuters they planned to get back to business as soon as the markets reopen.

Many academics, environmentalists and residents in China have joined international conservation groups in calling for a permanent ban. Online debate within China has also heavily favored a permanent ban.

(Reporting by Farah Master; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

THREADS
COVID-19 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71666-Coronavirus-(COVID-19)-Wuhan-Pneumonia)
Anyone here ever eat dog? (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61165-Anyone-here-ever-eat-dog)

GeneChing
01-14-2024, 12:37 PM
South Korea passes law banning dog meat trade (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67920167)
9th January 2024, 02:56 PST

By Jean Mackenzie, Jake Kwon and Hosu Lee
in Seoul

The slaughter and sale of dogs for their meat is to become illegal in South Korea after MPs backed a new law.
The legislation, set to come into force by 2027, aims to end the centuries-old practice of humans eating dog meat.
Dog meat stew, called "boshintang", is considered a delicacy among some older South Koreans, but the meat has fallen out of favour with diners and is no longer popular with young people.
Under the new law the consumption of dog meat itself will not be illegal.
According to a Gallup poll last year, only 8% of people said they had tried dog meat in the past 12 months, down from 27% in 2015. Fewer than a fifth of those polled said they supported the consumption of the meat.
Lee Chae-yeon, a 22-year-old student, said the ban was necessary to promote animal rights. "More people have pets today," she told the BBC in Seoul. "Dogs are like family now and it's not nice to eat our family."
The new law focuses on the dog meat trade - those convicted of butchering dogs face up to three years in prison, while people found guilty of raising dogs for meat or selling dog meat could serve a maximum of two years.
Farmers and restaurant owners have three years to find alternative sources of employment and income before the legislation comes into force.
According to government statistics, South Korea had around 1,600 dog meat restaurants and 1,150 dog farms in 2023, all of which will now have to submit a plan to phase out their businesses to their local authorities.
The government has promised to fully support dog meat farmers, butchers and restaurant owners, whose businesses will be forced to close, though the details of what compensation will be offered have yet to be worked through.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/800/cpsprodpb/03BB/production/_132255900_gettyimages-1252130182.jpg.webpGetty Images
Current President Yoon Suk Yeol and his wife own six dogs and have called for a ban on dog meat
On Tuesday lunchtime in Seoul, down an alleyway with several dog meat restaurants, a handful of older people were tucking into the stew and the generational divide was stark.
Kim Seon-ho, 86, was disappointed by the ban. "We've eaten this since the Middle Ages. Why stop us from eating our traditional food?" he said. "If you ban dog meat then you should ban beef."
Previous governments, dating back to the 1980s, have pledged to ban dog meat, but failed to make progress. Current President Yoon Suk Yeol and First Lady Kim Keon Hee are known animal lovers - they have six dogs, and Ms Kim has called for the practice of eating dogs to end.
Animal rights groups, which have long been pushing for the ban, praised the outcome of Tuesday's vote.
Jung Ah Chae, the executive director of the Humane Society in Korea, said she was surprised to see the ban in her lifetime. "While my heart breaks for all the millions of dogs for whom this change has come too late, I am overjoyed that South Korea can now close this miserable chapter in our history and embrace a dog friendly future," she said.
Dog meat farmers had campaigned against the ban. They argued that, given the declining popularity among young people, the practice should be allowed to die out naturally over time. Many farmers and restaurateurs are elderly and said it would be difficult for them to switch livelihoods so late in life.
One dog farmer, Joo Yeong-bong, told the BBC the industry was in despair.
"In 10 years, the industry would have disappeared. We're in our 60s and 70s and now we have no choice but to lose our livelihoods," he said, adding that this was "an infringement of people's freedom to eat what they like".
One dog meat restaurant owner in her 60s, Mrs Kim, told the BBC she was frustrated by the ban, and blamed it on the rise in the number of people in South Korea having pets.
"Young people these days don't get married, so they think of pets as family, but food is food. We should accept dog meat but raise and slaughter them in a hygienic environment," she said.
"Other countries like China and Vietnam eat dogs, so why are we banning it?"
Sure, blame it on the pets...:rolleyes:

bawang
01-15-2024, 02:16 AM
so far I think most cases of eating dog in big cities here are socially related, since dogs are a luxury item.

GeneChing
01-15-2024, 09:55 AM
Dogs work as shepherds and guards at farms and such all around the world, so I wouldn't say they are luxuries. But still, farmers eat almost all their animals, right? So I think I understand where you're coming from on this, bawang.