PDA

View Full Version : Still Swollen

qeySuS
01-25-2001, 03:28 PM
Ok i had almost forgot about this until last night at practice when i did some punching to a pretty hard bag without gloves. And then i posted it on the official forum so i decided to see if anyone can help.

I had this incident a few years back when i had been into MA for only a few months. I was really ****ed of about something (cannot remeber what doesnt really matter now) But i hit a wall (concrete) pretty hard. And it hurt (stupid yes).

Well ok so i did it and it hurt, 10 minutes later it started swelling and swelling fast. After an hour i was pretty scared because my whole hand now looked like a ball (literally it was huge), i went to the doctor, he took some X-Rays and the good news was that it wasnt broken, he told me the swelling would just go away with time and so it did of course. But this has left me with one big middle knuckle that is still to this day a bit sore when i punch without protection, i used to put Jow on it every other day and it hasnt helped a lot (but it has helped a bit).

Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong and what could be done??

Free thinkers are dangerous.

Brian_CA
01-28-2001, 09:51 AM
You may have bruised a tendon, ligament or bone. I would have to take a look to actual tell. Is the forearm hurting also? Does the pain stop at the wrist?

I would ice it and not do any punching on that hand for a least 6 months. Let the injury heal fully and have patience because it may take up a year to fully heal. Use Jow and White Flower oil if you can get it. Massage it out as much as possible. If you can find an affordable one go to an Applied Kinesologist. The may be a little more helpful then a traditional doctor.

Hope this helps.

Brian Monnier
San Francisco, CA

"Hard exertion and extreme relaxation are the keys to the kingdom of health"

qeySuS
01-28-2001, 05:36 PM
the pain stays in the knuckle, does'nt even reach to the wrist.

Brian_CA
01-29-2001, 09:47 AM
Sounds like strained ligament and/or the jammed knuckle. Ice it often and begin to massage it out. Stay off the heavy bag and punching with that hand for at least six months. Go to a qualifed Doctor and ask him what you can do for a jammed knuckle. Make sure to get plenty of protein in your diet. The only thing that will make that area strong again in proper nutrition, intention and patience. Modify your training to towards healing your body for a while. Good luck, you will learn a great deal in the process.

Brian Monnier
San Francisco, CA

qeySuS
01-29-2001, 10:45 AM
Cool thanks, i'll go to the clinic 2 meters from my house in a few days and check it out.

Goktimus Prime
01-30-2001, 10:48 AM
I'm about half a kilometre away from my nearest medical centre, and it's a kilometre and half to my nearest 24hr med centre (which is the one I usually go to).

Anyway, I don't know why you've waited so long to seek medical advice if you're within spitting distance from a clinic. ;P

In the meantime, I'd recommend NOT punching with that hand. As for the ice thing.. well... you might want to talk to a doctor first, because depending on the nature of the injury, you might actually need to apply HEAT to it. Again, see a doc.

"Wit is educated insolence." - Aristotle (284-322 BC)

qeySuS
01-30-2001, 05:45 PM
well the reason i've waited is twofold.

1) After the original impact i went to a doctor he X-Rayed it and did a few tests and informed me that this was nothing to be worried about, the swelling would go away soon.

2) Im a lazy S.O.B.

I still havent gone to the clinic btw i'm really lazy with a lot of things (like cleaning my room) :P

02-01-2001, 05:22 AM
It sounds as though you may have a cyst growth due to the initial injury. I've accumilated a couple myself from Escrima training. Sometimes just barely nicking the knuckle can be very painful. Fortunately, mine have dissipated within a year. The doctor I inquired about my own injuries had them himself and amusingly called them "bible bumps." (In the past, large heavy bibles were dropped on the afflicted area in hope to burst the pesky cyst.)
If this is your case, the cyst can be very permenant or very temporary. There are simple surgical procedures for the enduring cysts, but give it time to try to heal naturally. Of course, to reinterate what everyone else has told you- GO SEE A DOCTOR!
Later- Sproutkick

qeySuS
02-01-2001, 07:12 PM
Well i like sproutkicks idea the best. I did notice a little pouch on the knuckle one night, well i noticed it because it popped :P And well now it's not there anymore, and why havent i been to the doctor yet ?

cause im a lazy SOB. But now i've got 2 reasons, my elbow is killing me and i cant snap with it, so i'm going soon (plus i just got paid so i can pay the medical bill).