PDA

View Full Version : Any snake or leopard stylists on the forum?

SevenStar
10-31-2001, 09:03 PM
Just searching for good info on these styles.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Fu-Pow
10-31-2001, 10:36 PM
I know that both CLF and Hung Ga include these animals.

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

SevenStar
11-01-2001, 12:29 AM
I'm looking for info on the complete systems, not the forms, if that's what you're referring to. I don't even know if there is a complete leopard system...

where have you been, man? I haven't seen you in a while. And where did you get that moving lion pic you used to use in your sig?

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Kung Lek
11-01-2001, 02:03 AM
There are fragments :)

She Kuen sets exist inmany styles both northern and southern.

Pao Kuen sets exist in 5 animals style, four lower tigers, within tiger sets, within Hung Gar sets one finds "leopard" spirit. Also many other styles include these spirits.

Snake develops chi, coling power and pin point striking amongst other things ;), leopard develops speed and small area striking and also has other aspects.

In the end, you move like a dragon anyway :D
Dragon has the flavours of all the animals, no matter where the dragon comes from.

In Siu Lam Kungfu, the Tiger is the Beginning and the Dragon is the end. But they both exist through and through in spirit and practice.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

eightfist
11-03-2001, 08:43 PM
There are complete styles of each of these animals although they are rare and hard to find, I learned a portion of each from one of my past masters... although I did not finish. As well like everyone has said already there are portions of the systems in other styles, like tiger claw and dragon.
I am not sure what kind of info you want, and from my limited experience what I can tell you about the basics of the leopard I learned is a VERY low to the ground system involving a lot of grappling type maneuvers. Basically the leopard likes to jump its prey and drop it to the ground, where the low stance of the practitioner is used to fight a prone opponent while still remaining standing. Of course there is more to it than that but that is the basics.
The snake system I learned was very much like the wu dan mountain snake form and other similar snake forms that deal with soft power and vibrations of the body, it is bascially a very tricky and FAST system when used. The basic axiom I was taught was that it is a invisible system..."The enemy should fall without ever seeing your hands". That is kind of the gist of that systems basic level, if you would like to talk more feel free to email me at: eightfist@hotmail.com
What style do you practice? and where? I am interested in learning about all kinds of Kung Fu.

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know"

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know"

Daniel Madar
11-04-2001, 12:00 AM
Liang Shou Yu's daughters both learned the Omei Snake style from their Grandfather, I think.

One teaches in Canada and the other teaches in VA.

Helen has a video for sale on martial arts mart.

That's all I know, anything else would be groundless opinion.

Oh, and for Ralek...

One of the new characters in Dead or Alive 3 will do snake style.

Merciless is Mercy.

HokLung
11-04-2001, 03:26 AM
The Black Dragon System I practice & teach contains these two subsyles and six others. The leopard concentrates on speed and level changes. The leopard's nocturnal hunting is conveyed by hidden attacks & feints. Since the snake itself has no limbs to block with, evasion is it's primary concern although the human practitioner uses hands to stick, intercept and slip into an opponent's gate. Chi development is also greatly emphasized when this sub-style is being studied.