PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of you: why and how

SPJ
07-19-2011, 08:17 AM
over time, we change or modify or "improve" whatever we are doing/practicing.

what trigger these changes?

your personal experiences?

why?

and how?

:)

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Experience pretty much is the catalyst for me.
Over the centuries (LOL) experience in training and competition and real world has dictated to ME, WHAT I train, HOW I train and WHEN I train.

My training is NOT the same it was 30 years ago, or 20 or 10.
The core is stil the same because I believe in training to our strengths WHILE NOT neglecting our weaknesses ( we are only as good as our weakest link).
Over the millenium ( LOL) I have found what I do best, what I am most natural at and I build from there and around there.
I don't add anymore, I "chip away" at what I no longer need.

SPJ
07-19-2011, 08:25 AM
I started learning shuai jiao and tan tui in kids hood.

in high school, I learned mantis. at the time, there were many kuo shu clubs in Taiwan. They almost all were teaching mantis.

I found the handwork and footwork are kind of too busy or too many variants for me. I was in my teen.

I asked my teachers for something easier or not so busy to do.

to have a good structure, and developing more whole body power. I was introduced ba Ji. I had to stand in low stances for long time. and practice body kao with bags.

to have a speedy or snappy and crispy moves, I was introduced tong bei, you swing your arms fast and faster. in order to do more and more fast moves, I practice relaxation drills all over the body, especially the shoulder and chest/back

--

after a while, I love ba ji and tong bei too much.

even thou I love mantis, too.

but I just practice or do more ba ji and tong bei ever since.

--

in mantis, you have to practice to have a strong forearm and grips/hooks.

--

David Jamieson
07-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Direct experience was my motivation to modify, adapt and drop that which I deemed useless from my training regimen.

MightyB
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I've simplified and have become more "martial".

A loss in a San Shou match triggered the change.

While respecting the traditional - I looked at what I was doing and found areas that needed improvement... the biggest being I needed an atmosphere that provided consistent skilled sparring partners.

I looked at several sources for influence: I took up Judo and looked into and continue to look into what I think are best practices. Mainly it's fitness and simplified / structured defense and offense. Currently I like the basic Crazy Monkey defense and have started incorporating their drills into what I do.

Lately I've been getting back to TCMA and will eventually get back into regular TCMA practice. If it's possible, I'd like to learn Chen Tai Chi and Shuai Jiao.

donjitsu2
07-19-2011, 09:05 AM
I used to arrest shoplifters for a living.

Most people you detain do not resist and they come back pretty easily. About once or twice a month you'll get someone who will resist. Once every two - three months you'll get someone who just wants a fight.

I figured that this was enough "real world experience" for me, so I avoided competition.

Well, the economy hit the sh1tter and I ended up working with other martial artists (doing their strength and conditioning programs) and creating a blog to make money.

Fun stuff, but no real sense of urgency to train and no exposure to the psychological stressors of fighting.

Eventually I ended up signing up for a Toughman competition. Which was a huge eye opener.

I ended up being paired with a pretty good amateur level boxer. He and I went toe-to-toe in what was the most physically demanding fight of my life. I realized that arresting crack/meth-heads is easy when compared to fighting someone who knows what they're doing!

I also experienced a tremendous amount of psychological stress (nervousness/fear, adrenaline, ect...) - which I think is one of the most important things any fighter can experience. You need to be able to deal with that form of stress just as much (if not more) as any physical stressor related to a fight.

I'm still focused on self-defense, but I now consider full contact competition to be a main component of my training. This has definitely re-shaped my overall approach.

Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

Ray Pina
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Introduced to MA at 4 with Isshin-Ryu karate.... love at first sight

In college saw Wing Chun and liked the trapping. A few years after graduation started Kung Fu (WIng Chun, Hung Gar main focus)

A small group within the school trained with the teacher's brother. Joined that group and started sparring.

A 40-year old came and beat us all and said he studied with Master Bong (Bond) Chan. I was impressed. He was older, slower, weaker, ect. but beat us quick. In one engagement.

Found master Chan and trained with him for a few years exclusively.

Wanted to fight but had no sparring partners: Began going to public Throwdowns.

God a big head, entered competition and got owned.

Now train BJJ 3 days a week religiously (my new favorite) and work in striking 2 days a week (sometimes 3) with a group of MMAers producing sanctioned winners... met them through losing a 3 round decision to one of their fighters.

Don't want to fight anymore but am too young to quit and I enjoy it. So now the difficulty is just staying motivated to get to the gym. BJJ is easy.... I still have a lot to learn and by missing class people get ahead of you, catch you in tricks you missed out on. Boxing is something I like to do just to stay fit, not grow weary of punches to the head and check that I'm on the right path.

Ray Pina
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Eventually I ended up signing up for a Toughman competition. Which was a huge eye opener.

I ended up being paired with a pretty good amateur level boxer. He and I went toe-to-toe in what was the most physically demanding fight of my life. I realized that arresting crack/meth-heads is easy when compared to fighting someone who knows what they're doing!

I also experienced a tremendous amount of psychological stress (nervousness/fear, adrenaline, ect...) - which I think is one of the most important things any fighter can experience. You need to be able to deal with that form of stress just as much (if not more) as any physical stressor related to a fight.

I'm still focused on self-defense, but I now consider full contact competition to be a main component of my training. This has definitely re-shaped my overall approach.

Good stuff. ..........

kungfublow
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Well I have to say I started out 7 years ago as a larper. I'll admitt it and yes I am ashamed.

I got into Kung fu because of movies. I liked what I saw and wanted to do the same. What I didn't understand at the time was this was all garbage. Everything I saw in movies was totally unrealistic and would never happen in real life. I had never been in a fight in my life so I didn't know that. I just assumed what I saw on the t.v could be reproduced with enough training and time. Of course it didn't take long for this image of kung fu to be smashed.

I started out in wing chun because it looked like something I could easily start out with. I had never done a martial art before and I just liked what I saw in clips. I wasn't there too long before I realized that fighting is not like it is on t.v. I actually started to like Kung fu more because of this. I also realized pretty early on that I would never be a ring fighter. I don't have the mind for it. I've felt bad everytime I've hurt someone even though it's the goal. Sparring is so much fun and I enjoy it totally. I just don't like hurting someone which is odd I know for a martial artist. Maybe I"m just too nice I don't know. So I train hard to be a fighter although I don't really want to be one. I just enjoy the training for it.

Wing chun worked out perfect for me however I realized that it didn't have all the answers the further I went into the system. That pretty much made me take up JJJ which I thought would help fill in some of the blanks that WC left. It's only been a year but I feel it has. Now I just train both and try to spar and learn as much as possible from both systems. I'm sure once I've sucked up all the info that these systems have to offer I'll move on. I guess I'm more of a student of martial arts rather than a fighter. I like it that way. But don't kid yourself I can still fight. It just isn't my focus and I don't look at everything through a fighters eyes. I just like learning and don't care really about what works and doesn't. Sure I'll test everything and sometimes things just don't work. Doesn't mean I'm not happy to know the technique. It just means I wouldn't use it if my life depended on it. I've got my go to bag of tricks for that. The rest is just nice to know.

Any hoo that's my story. For what it's worth. I have to say that it humbles me everytime I hear how long some of you guys have been training. My 7 years looks like nothing compared to most of you guys. Just goes to show there is no end to learning Martial arts. Good to know because I don't want it to end anytime soon.

Frost
07-20-2011, 12:03 PM
I've simplified and have become more "martial".

A loss in a San Shou match triggered the change.

While respecting the traditional - I looked at what I was doing and found areas that needed improvement... the biggest being I needed an atmosphere that provided consistent skilled sparring partners.

I looked at several sources for influence: I took up Judo and looked into and continue to look into what I think are best practices. Mainly it's fitness and simplified / structured defense and offense. Currently I like the basic Crazy Monkey defense and have started incorporating their drills into what I do.

Lately I've been getting back to TCMA and will eventually get back into regular TCMA practice. If it's possible, I'd like to learn Chen Tai Chi and Shuai Jiao.

lol crazy monkey is fun isnt it :)

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
lol crazy monkey is fun isnt it :)

Rodney's stuff is top notch.

Frost
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Rodney's stuff is top notch.

i learned it from karl....to say he and rodney didnt get on is...well karl called his version the inteligent monkey lol

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2011, 12:07 PM
i learned it from karl....to say he and rodney didnt get on is...well karl called his version the inteligent monkey lol

Ego, MA breeds it doesn't it?
LOL !
The only downside of CM is that far too many guys forget they have to look out for body shots, LOL !

Frost
07-20-2011, 12:09 PM
spent a total of almost 20 years in TMA, well over 10 in TCMA, sparred and competed both semi contact and no gloved traditional, thought the UFC was full of untrained fighters who looked sloppy..... then went to a grappling open mat found my coach and never looked back i lucky enough to find one of the best gyms in europe on my door step

STill keep in touch with my CLF and Hakka teacher and want to train with him again soon, but its all time and money

Frost
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
LOL !
The only downside of CM is that far too many guys forget they have to look out for body shots, LOL !

karl is lovely.... the few times i have met him he has been great....but i can guess how his personality and rodneys clashed big time lol every one wants to be top dog...and i would never ever want to get on his wrong side (i dont want to know what happened to those guys that attacked him with knifes)

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2011, 12:15 PM
karl is lovely.... the few times i have met him he has been great....but i can guess how his personality and rodneys clashed big time lol every one wants to be top dog...and i would never ever want to get on his wrong side (i dont want to know what happened to those guys that attacked him with knifes)

Only seen Karl in his DVDs and Rodney too.
Both remind me of football hooligans.
:D

Frost
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Only seen Karl in his DVDs and Rodney too.
Both remind me of football hooligans.
:D

Karl, well yes you are right, his ex rosey was so different really nice and educated...karl well yes i could imagine him at old trafford starting and finishing the fight :)

although hes known for his grappling these days his boxing is really good, trained with a guy who used to life in the kronk gym i believe

Ray Pina
07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I've felt bad everytime I've hurt someone even though it's the goal. Sparring is so much fun and I enjoy it totally. I just don't like hurting someone which is odd I know for a martial artist. Maybe I"m just too nice I don't know. So I train hard to be a fighter although I don't really want to be one. I just enjoy the training for it. .

I really respect this!

I feel the same way too. I don't mind making someone feel a little pain to make then quit, but I don't want to hurt anyone. I've stopped my attacks before someone tapped or a ref broke because I just didn't feel right about it..... and you're right, that attitude doesn't belong in the cage or ring. Because there are people who don't mind hurting someone bad. That's their goal simply to achieve their ends.

HumbleWCGuy
07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
I really respect this!

I feel the same way too. I don't mind making someone feel a little pain to make then quit, but I don't want to hurt anyone. I've stopped my attacks before someone tapped or a ref broke because I just didn't feel right about it..... and you're right, that attitude doesn't belong in the cage or ring. Because there are people who don't mind hurting someone bad. That's their goal simply to achieve their ends.

I've always said that unless it's for real money, live to fight another day and allow others the same courtesy.

Jimbo
07-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Over the past several years, I've realized I have to respect my body more. Before my 40s, I never had any injuries that were chronic beyond a few months. And they always completely healed up. But the body changes, even though when I was young, I was arrogant enough to believe I'd always be able to train like a 20 or 30-something.

And now I have many more interests and concerns in my life than only MA. Since MA is not my main focus anymore, I have become much pickier about what I'll spend my time practicing.

Throughout my MA life, starting in the 1970s, I was always open to learning something if I thought it would be beneficial to me. It isn't about collecting "a little of this, a little of that," or being a MA collector of any type. It's about gaining knowledge and experience that will help you develop on your path. Judo, karate( Kenpo, Shi to ryu, Tang Soo Do/TKD), kickboxing, CMA (Tanglang Quan, Lung Ying, CLF). More recently, I took a year of BJJ. Oftentimes, you can gain a lot of insight into what you're already doing by experiencing a different perspective. I consider myself a CLF practitioner, but since we are the sum of our experiences, my own interpretation of it is obviously colored by mine. Have I "arrived" yet at the place where I'm satisfied with where I'm at? No. I'm not sure I'll ever be completely satisfied. It's a continual, evolving process. And that is as it should be.

Dragonzbane76
07-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Throughout my MA life, starting in the 1970s, I was always open to learning something if I thought it would be beneficial to me. It isn't about collecting "a little of this, a little of that," or being a MA collector of any type. It's about gaining knowledge and experience that will help you develop on your path. Judo, karate( Kenpo, Shi to ryu, Tang Soo Do/TKD), kickboxing, CMA (Tanglang Quan, Lung Ying, CLF). More recently, I took a year of BJJ. Oftentimes, you can gain a lot of insight into what you're already doing by experiencing a different perspective. I consider myself a CLF practitioner, but since we are the sum of our experiences, my own interpretation of it is obviously colored by mine. Have I "arrived" yet at the place where I'm satisfied with where I'm at? No. I'm not sure I'll ever be completely satisfied. It's a continual, evolving process. And that is as it should be. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

great post.

YouKnowWho
07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
When I was young, I liked to go to Karate or TKD schools (there were no MMA gym back then) to watch their classes. At the end of the class, I would then approcah to a student and asked if he would be interest to spar with me when he had some free time. I could accumulate my experence very fast that way. I was very lucky to have a professonal MT guy who had a Say Hi oriental grocery store next door of my school. Everyday after my class, he would come over and I had good time to spar with him. I have always believed that the best way to develop combat skill is to get involve with people from different styles. After those days. the word "style" no longer has any meaning to me.

David Jamieson
07-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I think that's all part of the process of developing kung fu in everything.

ShenZhi
07-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow!
Shock?
Really?
Ok......
I realize that most people here are male.

Males afraid of the world.
Males afraid of being labeled as inferior.
Males who don't practice the heart of the arts.

I see here egos.
I see here an editor trying and retrying to patch his "sails."
Don't you know that magazines are fossils?

I see here that ****phobic values rule.
I see here that ****sexuality is a joke.
I see here that most of you fight because you have no clue.

MMA is and will be known later as a hoax.
TCMA go for the eyes.....with eyeballs in hand....optic nerves twitching....
how many headlocks are you going to do?

Ninjitsu is yesterday....Stephen LOL Hayes.....and Bruce ****ing Lee...
look at your classical mess now.

If you don't understand.....only don't know 10, 000 times.
Stop taking money.
Understand?

Iron_Eagle_76
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Facts: a) First post b) My forum name is a bad made up name from a short story I'm writing...so don't sweat it c) I'm a spiritual person who believes in the unseen, but I still think Jon Stewart is god *smiles* d. I only profess no rank, no school, no lineage, and no teacher...no teacher but me.
-----
I began my martial experience with a typical TKD tournament school. In my instructor's school, we did wall stretches, kicks, line drills until each of us felt like puking.

This shock changed me.
It ate at my habitual karma that a culture of Dr. Pepper and Twinkees had started. I become very flashy with kicks--this built an ego. I stopped eating garbage.

In our tournament school, we practiced the splits (sides and frontal). I learned that I could do the splits all the way to the ground in either. This built more ego, but also a good foundation for life-fitness. My instructor hated his results that came alive in me. He was a prime egoist. This is shock number two. Martial arts instructors are far from being perfect angels or bodhisattvas. Some are purely masters of finance-do.

When I was a yellow belt, I got in a fight with a friend over a girl. I was a believer: Front stance, left down block, tight fist ****ed at ribcage. I gave a loud "keeyaaiii," and mowed forward, striking my opponent with my punch.

He toppled.

But like in a bad Hollywood film, my antagonist stood back up.
He flew at me with rage, tripped me from my stance to the funky, dirty ground, and slapped a headlock on me. This wasn't in any of my TKD forms.

Because I was bigger, stronger, I pryed out of it, straddled him, and began to pummel his face with quick, untutored strikes. Where was the glory of forms practice?

My forms meant little to nothing--Shock three.

Shock four: Strength can be a good thing.

I saw that my training was mere sports training.
After I obtained first dan, I left the school, looking for something that would rock me hard.

And high school faded, just background noise.

College introduced me to shock number five: my Yang Tai Chi/Hop Gar sifu.
I was allowed to train with his Tai Chi class in his home, but not what I wanted at the time. I wanted the good stuff, stuff I saw in David Chin's book via Staples.

We burned standing meditation. My legs turned to jello, and I had thought I was strong; my arms quaked like a new born's; I once thought I was powerful. I learned that I understood nothing about standing.

Shock six was being allowed to train in his small, HG style class. The Yang training taught me that shivering and quaking in a stance was good. But the pain train had only begun. I was introduced to a twenty minute horse drill that would introduce me to new hilarious levels of discomfort and pain. Two hundred wrist twists; fifty spear hands; fifty crane claws to the front, slow, until your knuckles cracked into a grip; fifty at the sides until your arms became spaghetti. Five hundred waist twists meant we were ending the horse warm up.

I always looked forward to cool down...leaving the horse stance twenty to twenty five minutes later for tendon stretches, for the comfortable position of the full splits.

My ego melted, and I began learning about humility. Or so I like to think.

Shock seven was training with my teacher's Zen master.

I learned that I didn't really know how to sit properly, for more than nine hours at a time that is; I learned that I was really just a sock puppet made by my culture, that the small-I I had learned to become, was just culture...not reality. The universe, the world itself could open and swallow me and it would not make one bit of difference.

"What can you do," the Zen master asked me when I told him this mind-chatter of mine.

I was speechless.
I had no answer.

Shock eight was my realization at forty: I too will die one day. Maybe now, maybe tomorrow, maybe when I turn seventy.

Again...what can I do? This is my true life koan.

Thank you for reading.
Thank you for sharing.

I have a similiar experience every Sat night when the bartender calls last call!!

SPJ
07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Facts: a) First post b) My forum name is a bad made up name from a short story I'm writing...so don't sweat it c) I'm a spiritual person who believes in the unseen, but I still think Jon Stewart is god *smiles* d. I only profess no rank, no school, no lineage, and no teacher...no teacher but me.
-----
I began my martial experience with a typical TKD tournament school. In my instructor's school, we did wall stretches, kicks, line drills until each of us felt like puking.

This shock changed me.
It ate at my habitual karma that a culture of Dr. Pepper and Twinkees had started. I become very flashy with kicks--this built an ego. I stopped eating garbage.

In our tournament school, we practiced the splits (sides and frontal). I learned that I could do the splits all the way to the ground in either. This built more ego, but also a good foundation for life-fitness. My instructor hated his results that came alive in me. He was a prime egoist. This is shock number two. Martial arts instructors are far from being perfect angels or bodhisattvas. Some are purely masters of finance-do.

When I was a yellow belt, I got in a fight with a friend over a girl. I was a believer: Front stance, left down block, tight fist ****ed at ribcage. I gave a loud "keeyaaiii," and mowed forward, striking my opponent with my punch.

He toppled.

He flew at me with rage, tripped me from my stance to the funky, dirty ground, and slapped a headlock on me. This wasn't in any of my TKD forms.

Because I was bigger, stronger, I pryed out of it, straddled him, and began to pummel his face with quick, untutored strikes. Where was the glory of forms practice?

After I obtained first dan, I left the school, looking for something that would rock me hard.

I was allowed to train with his Tai Chi class in his home, but not what I wanted at the time. I wanted the good stuff, stuff I saw in David Chin's book via Staples.

We burned standing meditation. My legs turned to jello, and I had thought I was strong; my arms quaked like a new born's; I once thought I was powerful. I learned that I understood nothing about standing.

Shock six was being allowed to train in his small, HG style class. The Yang training taught me that shivering and quaking in a stance was good. But the pain train had only begun. I was introduced to a twenty minute horse drill that would introduce me to new hilarious levels of discomfort and pain. Two hundred wrist twists; fifty spear hands; fifty crane claws to the front, slow, until your knuckles cracked into a grip; fifty at the sides until your arms became spaghetti. Five hundred waist twists meant we were ending the horse warm up.

I always looked forward to cool down...leaving the horse stance twenty to twenty five minutes later for tendon stretches, for the comfortable position of the full splits.

I learned that I didn't really know how to sit properly, for more than nine hours at a time that is; I learned that I was really just a sock puppet made by my culture, that the small-I I had learned to become, was just culture...not reality. The universe, the world itself could open and swallow me and it would not make one bit of difference.

"What can you do," the Zen master asked me when I told him this mind-chatter of mine.

I was speechless.
I had no answer.

Shock eight was my realization at forty: I too will die one day. Maybe now, maybe tomorrow, maybe when I turn seventy.

Thank you for reading.
Thank you for sharing.

yes. your shock 8 or jolt 8 is real

we can get another one at 50

another at 60

---

pass 100 Y.O.

there are many >100 Y.O. in france, may be red wine every nite.

:cool:

bawang
07-21-2011, 11:07 AM
i train kung fu because i feel empty inside.

in north american it is not allowed to own a ego. they are protected species. you are not make sense, man.

ShenZhi
07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
"yes. your shock 8 or jolt 8 is real

we can get another one at 50

another at 60"

---

Thank you for teaching me.

David Jamieson
07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Karl, well yes you are right, his ex rosey was so different really nice and educated...karl well yes i could imagine him at old trafford starting and finishing the fight :)

although hes known for his grappling these days his boxing is really good, trained with a guy who used to life in the kronk gym i believe

They still train together it seems. I friended Rodney up on FB a while back. I like his offerings as well. Anyway, just saying that he was just saying that he recently had a session with Karl.

Rodney's stuff really makes sense and I like the real defensive qualities of his stuff.
I like that he doesn't put everything down to one or two things an dthat he visits all kinds of tiny ideas that are large.

Probably one of the better trainers out there today.

David Jamieson
07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
i train kung fu because i feel empty inside.

in north american it is not allowed to own a ego. they are protected species. you are not make sense, man.

only bald ego.

golden ego is ok.

David Jamieson
07-21-2011, 12:43 PM
-----

This shock changed me.

He toppled.

I was speechless.
I had no answer.

Thank you for reading.
Thank you for sharing.

Ha!

Best post today! Thanks for writing it, thanks for sharing. :)

ShenZhi
07-21-2011, 01:07 PM
To: David Jamieson--

No problem!
Thanks to all for the hospitality.

Taixuquan99
07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Started as a kid who liked kung fu movies, took a summer of tae kwon do classes at fifteen from a guy who, I would later realize, was one of the nicest, most conscientious teachers I have met. I don't even know why I stopped going, just trailed off, but I practiced all the kicks I learned over the next few years.

At seventeen, a friend got me in to Chung Moo Quan. In that era, most of the chung moo quan guys who trained that silliness hard were looking for an order of warriors, and that group trained hard, but were taught to be authoritarian jerks, as is always the goal when driving all your students to becoming instructors. That said, I am in contact with a good number of other former members who have moved on to better things, and we all have done a good job on becoming decent folk, well, I'm marginally indecent, but not congressional in my indecency.

At my early/mid twenties, studied longfist under the teacher who I think had the best priorities of any of the teachers I've had. Never badmouthed any school, worked hard to teach right. However, I was moving around a lot at the time, so I only learned basic longfist, but I kept training some good aspects of it over the years.

In my late twenties, started six elbows. Skip.

In my thirties, started six elbows and general fight training under another teacher, learned taixuquan, focused on that, focused on usage.

Done some ground stuff, have been studying some katori, just like martial arts.

Main philosophy:

Don't exoticise it

Entrain and observe before theorizing

Remember why you did it in the first place. I didn't join martial arts because I wanted to absorb someone else's prejudices, because I wanted to say my way of push hands is best, my way of striking or throwing is best, to be special because I'm General Tso's student, etc. I joined because I enjoy it and enjoy developing solid skill at it.

SPJ
07-21-2011, 02:08 PM
When I was young, I liked to go to Karate or TKD schools (there were no MMA gym back then) to watch their classes. At the end of the class, I would then approcah to a student and asked if he would be interest to spar with me when he had some free time. I could accumulate my experence very fast that way. I was very lucky to have a professonal MT guy who had a Say Hi oriental grocery store next door of my school. Everyday after my class, he would come over and I had good time to spar with him. I have always believed that the best way to develop combat skill is to get involve with people from different styles. After those days. the word "style" no longer has any meaning to me.

we are only limited by our openess.

open door policy is always better.

however, it is progressive or in stages in terms of styles vs styleless

1. in the beginning, we learn "specialized" training from each style.

2. in the middle, we integrate or assimilate, we take and keep what we want or more comfortable with and drop the rest.

3. in the end, there are no more styles, there is only you.

---