PDA

View Full Version : Why I like Bruce Lee

MightyB
07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
1. He popularized the idea of pragmatic Kung Fu practice (popularized, not created).
2. He believed in consistent hard sparring.
3. He pushed refinement of basic movements over accumulation of techniques.
4. He advocated strength training and conditioning as necessary for a martial artist.

MightyB
07-19-2011, 09:45 AM
5. Also - he advocated using what works regardless of where it comes from.
6. He pushed developing a "fighters" mindset.
7. If TCM artists say forms are a display of jing - you could look at how he moved in his movies and say the man had jing.

MasterKiller
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
8. He stole almost every quote he's famous for from someone else.

brothernumber9
07-19-2011, 10:43 AM
except, "That island. On the beach. We can take this boat?"

Punch.HeadButt
07-19-2011, 10:45 AM
9. The look on his face after he kicks the board in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4TXz-buqzU

SimonM
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Well you know the saying:

Mediocrity borrows, genius steals.

By the way, true story, I am the originator of that saying. :D

David Jamieson
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
1. He popularized the idea of pragmatic Kung Fu practice (popularized, not created).
4. He advocated strength training and conditioning as necessary for a martial artist.

1. ok, but that goes to David Carradine too (unfortunately)
2. Maybe he believed in it, but he didn't do it
3. I totally disagree with that. he jumped all over the place with styles and used outrageously non usable moves in his movies.
4. Doesn't everyone?

5. Also - he advocated using what works regardless of where it comes from.
6. He pushed developing a "fighters" mindset.
7. If TCM artists say forms are a display of jing - you could look at how he moved in his movies and say the man had jing.

5. He did this after he failed to use what he had with any effect in a real situation. (read the WJM affair and how Bruce was stunned that his delusion of taking someone out in 30 seconds was not doable.)

6. He said a lot of things he didn't do. Many here advocate, push and train for a fighters mindset more than BL ever did.

7. He was also a professional competitive dancer. So yeah, he could move.

8. He stole almost every quote he's famous for from someone else. QFT

Well you know the saying:

Mediocrity borrows, genius steals.

By the way, true story, I am the originator of that saying. :D No you're not, that was George Bernard Shaw!!!

j'accuse! :p

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 11:12 AM
I liked BL because he did something that we all take for granted NOW.
Told the TCMA community where to shove it.
Was he over hyped? Sure, who the **** isn't?
Was he as good a fighter as everyone made him out to be? No, no one ever is.
Was he good enough to leave his mark on the likes of Norris, Lewis, Inosanto and others?
yes, he was.

SimonM
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
No you're not, that was George Bernard Shaw!!!

j'accuse! :p

P'shaw :cool:

David Jamieson
07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I liked BL because he did something that we all take for granted NOW.
Told the TCMA community where to shove it. he was also ill mannered and arrogant. His telling the tcma community to shove it was nothing more than a temper tantrum from my point of view.

Was he over hyped? Sure, who the **** isn't? Ali? Frasier? Foreman? I dunno...real fighters? lol

Was he as good a fighter as everyone made him out to be? No, no one ever is. He was never really in any sanctioned fight was he? Nope. He smacked around a 16 year old kid on the set of ETD...and that's about it except for teh secretive WJM match.

Was he good enough to leave his mark on the likes of Norris, Lewis, Inosanto and others?
yes, he was. Those guys wouldn't have the careers they do without Bruce Not a single one of them.
They would never say a bad thing about Bruce ever for that fact alone.

I liked Bruce because he was strong willed and made Kung Fu movies that made sense to the western mind.

Shaw brothers flicks were almost always these particularly weird films with little inthe way of congruence or good writing etc.

so, the fact that Bruce made Kung Fu movies with a beginning, middle and an end means that he knew how to tell a story.

That's why I like him, because that's what he really did! :)

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
he was also ill mannered and arrogant. His telling the tcma community to shove it was nothing more than a temper tantrum from my point of view.

Ali? Frasier? Foreman? I dunno...real fighters? lol

He was never really in any sanctioned fight was he? Nope. He smacked around a 16 year old kid on the set of ETD...and that's about it except for teh secretive WJM match.
Those guys wouldn't have the careers they do without Bruce Not a single one of them.
They would never say a bad thing about Bruce ever for that fact alone.

I liked Bruce because he was strong willed and made Kung Fu movies that made sense to the western mind.

Shaw brothers flicks were almost always these particularly weird films with little inthe way of congruence or good writing etc.

so, the fact that Bruce made Kung Fu movies with a beginning, middle and an end means that he knew how to tell a story.

That's why I like him, because that's what he really did! :)

His attitutde was typical of the TCMA of his era and before, he just gave it to THEM instead of taking it.
All famous fighters are over hyped, that is just part of the whole "fighter mystique".
Joe Lewis wouldn't have had a career without Lee?
Don't know what you are talking about there and Chuck made his own career, far surpassing ANYTHING Lee would have dreamed f having.
Inosanto is his own Man.

Lets be real here, before BL, you didn't hear about cross training and mixing MA and taking only what is useful, etc, etc.
Read any of the books and articles from the 60'a and 70's and you won't read that.

bawang
07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
if you guys speak to normal people once in a while, you would realize america sees bruce lee as a weirdo and a joke. a bizzare freakshow.

he is the epitome of cantonese passive aggresiveness and cantonese napoleon complex.

i really wished instead of cantonese immigrants in the 1800s they brought 6 foot 200 pound hui muslims. they no one would mess around with chinese today.

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
if you guys speak to normal people once in a while, you would realize america sees bruce lee as a weirdo and a joke. a bizzare freakshow.

You say that as if it was a bad thing.

bawang
07-19-2011, 11:54 AM
all the real martial artists in the kung fu film industry filled the role of bad guys and side kicks, because they looked strong and honest.

bruce lee also restarted the omega male fantasy.

goju
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM

was that more a case of people just thinking he came up with them himself ?

bawang
07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
bruce lee is not my hero. my hero is general qijiguang, who had to fight in the mongol assault of beijing at the age of 17 on the day of his martial examination.

my hero is the hongwu emperor, who was born without a name and was a beggar monk.

my hero is general he liangcheng, who beheaded soldiers for laughing out loud or staring at the ground.

their testicles over 5 cm in diameter. bruce lee only one testicle and 1cm in diameter.

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
bruce lee is not my hero. my hero is general qijiguang, who had to fight in the mongol assault of beijing at the age of 17 on the day of his martial examination.

my hero is the hongwu emperor, who was born without a name and was a beggar monk.

my hero is general he liangcheng, who beheaded soldiers for laughing out loud or staring at the ground.

their testicles over 5 cm in diameter. bruce lee only one testicle and 1cm in diameter.

Well, can't argue with that logic !
Testicle size for the win !!

bawang
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM
bruce lee was the omega males wet dream. thats why he got so popular.

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 12:13 PM
bruce lee was the omega males wet dream. thats why he got so popular.

I thought it was his understated acting ability.

Brule
07-19-2011, 12:18 PM

I thought your hero was David Ross. Make up your mind already.

bawang
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
i admire heroes. i venerate david ross.

david ross is not a mere hero, he is a living treasure. to call him a hero would be an insult.

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
i admire heroes. i venerate david ross.

david ross is not a mere hero, he is a living treasure. to call him a hero would be an insult.

I don't think you are cool enough to venerate David Ross (TM).
Did you fill out the proper paperwork and was it approved?

bawang
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
i take cardio kickboxing lessons, but tell my friends i train muay thai. is that cool enough?

Northwind
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Lets be real here, before BL, you didn't hear about cross training and mixing MA and taking only what is useful, etc, etc.

True. He big time advocated the idea "Use what is useful, get rid of what is not."
Didn't like forms, classical stances, etc. And these ideas became famous for a group.

The extremely unfortunate thing about all this is that what did not become popular was the other side to those ideas...Do all that AFTER you have a foundation under you, and an understanding of what those classical styles are giving you...

It's like the lazy taoist wanna-be cr@p you hear: Do nothing, Go with the flow...Yeah man, get all hippy on the pot-couch bro - you taoist immortal you.

Puhlease...

Don't get me wrong though - my bedroom walls were covered with lil dragon posters when I was a kid too.

David Jamieson
07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
btw and fwiw [ALT] + 0153 creates ™

:-D

Norris was unknown. Nobody has Karate careers except for karate club owners. If he had not gotten into movies with Bruce, he would still be unknown.

Lewis? Small group that would know that circuit of FC karate and kick boxing. Not really well known outside of pretty limited martial arts circles.

Inosanto would definitely not enjoy the success he has without Lee. not one second of it.

When people talk about the larpers, the fakers and the problems in traditional chinese martial arts.... well Lee is one of the principles of creating that chaos and perpetuating the classical mess he claimed to hate.

Seriously! BL is to blame for a huge percentage of pyjama larpers. :p

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
i take cardio kickboxing lessons, but tell my friends i train muay thai. is that cool enough?

Your membership biker shorts in mauve are i n the mail.

sanjuro_ronin
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
True. He big time advocated the idea "Use what is useful, get rid of what is not."
Didn't like forms, classical stances, etc. And these ideas became famous for a group.

The extremely unfortunate thing about all this is that what did not become popular was the other side to those ideas...Do all that AFTER you have a foundation under you, and an understanding of what those classical styles are giving you...

It's like the lazy taoist wanna-be cr@p you hear: Do nothing, Go with the flow...Yeah man, get all hippy on the pot-couch bro - you taoist immortal you.

Puhlease...

Don't get me wrong though - my bedroom walls were covered with lil dragon posters when I was a kid too.

I was never a fan as a kid, I just liked his books and thought they made sense.
First movie of his I saw I was already a BB, lol !

You are quite correct that:

SPJ
07-19-2011, 12:37 PM

I like general Qi, too. around the same time, there was also general yu.

as far male balls go;

some eunich had good kung fu, too, or ultimate kung fu.

:D

sanjuro_ronin
When people talk about the larpers, the fakers and the problems in traditional chinese martial arts.... well Lee is one of the principles of creating that chaos and perpetuating the classical mess he claimed to hate.

Quite correct, that is very true.

Jimbo
except, "That island. On the beach. We can take this boat?"

BL actually got that from one of the stories in the life of Tsukahara Bokuden, a 16th-century swordsman in Japan. The story involved a challenge, an island on Lake Biwa, and Tsukahara saying, "This is my No-Sword School."

MightyB
07-19-2011, 01:19 PM

That's like blaming Jesus for the Republican Party.

Seriously - like I said - he popularized the idea of pragmatic kung fu - he didn't create it, but it's amazing how few and far between it is with pragmatic martial artists. Even today - with all of the evidence that's out there that definitely proves that cross training in proven techniques is the only way to be effective - you still have the obstinate camps claiming otherwise.

Like it or not - BLŪ sparked a martial revolution and the philosophies that he popularized still ring true.

Iron_Eagle_76
07-20-2011, 07:42 AM
btw and fwiw [ALT] + 0153 creates ™

:-D

Norris was unknown. Nobody has Karate careers except for karate club owners. If he had not gotten into movies with Bruce, he would still be unknown.

Lewis? Small group that would know that circuit of FC karate and kick boxing. Not really well known outside of pretty limited martial arts circles.

Inosanto would definitely not enjoy the success he has without Lee. not one second of it.

Unfortunately there are always people who need a hero, a mythical figure, or some unattachment to reality to boost their own self-esteem or self worth up. The thing is, as stated previously Bruce advocated cross training, basics, full contact sparring, grappling, ect. Unfortunately the ones you talk about who boost him up as a hero are the ones who didn't listen to any of his ideologies on martial arts.

You can hate on Bruce Lee all you want to, but martial arts would not be what it is today without his influence.

SPJ
07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I only like his role as kato, I did not like his other movies.

things I like about him:

I have a cousin about his body built.

1. BL did all the conditioning methods of the body known to men at the time

such as jump rope, push up

2. determination to train harder or pushing over the limits

eventually, killed him. even thou his cause of death is still a myth.

my cousin did all the jump ropes, pushup etc etc

--

BL was fast, but powerful or not, I do not know.

the willpower to do better, sort of like olympic spirits

----

in short, he was fast and he was determined.

there is an old saying that if you are fast, all of your defects/weakness are covered/masked. or "fastness will make up for defects/weakness".

my cousin was strong, but he was never fast despite of doing what BL was doing.

--

springness and such are somehow genetics

--

well olympic coaches would know more

--

bawang
07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
bolo should have been the main star in enter the dragon

Iron_Eagle_76
07-20-2011, 11:20 AM
bolo should have been the main star in enter the dragon

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss205/Kilbar_Dask/BoloMot.jpg

Northwind
07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
There's nothing quite like Bolo in that dam van movie where he's in the ring and grinning like a maniac, slinging his arms up and down to move the crowd. It's righteous crazy good love.

bawang
07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
i think after so many years, the shame of bruce lee has finally been wiped away. now kung fu is dead in america, martial arts has a bright future.

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10959/bolo2.jpg

Yep. now I'm gonna beat you silly.

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
When you jack-ff with your left hand, it feels like someone else is doing it !
http://76.img.v4.skyrock.com/766/smub/pics/49045209.jpg

Northwind
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.triggerreactionmovie.com/info.swf

wenshu
07-20-2011, 01:01 PM
http://76.img.v4.skyrock.com/766/smub/pics/49045209.jpg
"Ever sit on your hand until it gets numb and then masturbate with it?
I call it 'The Stranger'."

I like Bruce Lee because of his efforts to bring attention to male eating and body dysmorphic disorders.

JamesC
07-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Is it just me or does Bolo have the largest surface area for pecs ever? His boobs reach his belly button...

PalmStriker
07-20-2011, 06:54 PM
That's like blaming Jesus for the Republican Party.

Seriously - like I said - he popularized the idea of pragmatic kung fu - he didn't create it, but it's amazing how few and far between it is with pragmatic martial artists. Even today - with all of the evidence that's out there that definitely proves that cross training in proven techniques is the only way to be effective - you still have the obstinate camps claiming otherwise.

Like it or not - BLŪ sparked a martial revolution and the philosophies that he popularized still ring true. So TRUE! :) Bruce Lee is TCMA UNCHAINED. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoS67-IL7IU&feature=related

TopCrusader
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow, couldnt get past the first page till the typical posts started coming in. Im dissapointed in some of you guys, show some respect on the anniversary of the man's death for goodness sake!

SPJ
07-21-2011, 08:45 PM
I saw bruce lee as child star in hong kong flicks.

so he was not a new face for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYpfDbsMDMk&feature=related

we waited for an hour to see the first episode of green hornet to be aired in taiwan.

I was like 6 year old.

growing up in a military/police families.

me like police story, such as hawaii 5 o.

I also like to watch "rat patrol" and "combat" around late 1960s.

I mean gun is very much important. h2h is only a side show or close combat without weapon.

2 scout jeeps intercepted dietrich convoy all the time (rat patrol).

sanders once jumped on a tiger (panzer) and held on (combat).

I also watched western boxing a lot.

I did not like fake japanese wrestling.

my point is that BL was not high on the list.

---

SPJ
07-21-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0qQGS4fXSY

combat

I watched every single episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZcbifYqpGc

rat patrol

I watched all the seasons.

:cool:

SPJ
07-21-2011, 08:51 PM
my point is that combat

involves weapons and vehicles.

not just punches and kicks only.

--

:)

lance
07-22-2011, 02:02 AM

Well , people can talk stink about him all they like , but he did influence people all over the world . You saw that movie How Bruce Lee changed the world ? To me it ' s true . He may have stolen quotes from people , but he put those quotes into action , how many people can talk about it , but really don ' t do it at all ? Sure he was arrogant , some people call him ****y , but he was the real thing . When he was alive how many martial artist could do better than him ? He gave Sammo Hung & Jacky Chan , Chuck Norris and other people a chance to have super stardom in the movie business .

What took other martial artist many years of practice , and experience , it took bruce a short period of time to get better in whatever art he was really doing .
All the martial arts techniques he learned he experiment it to see what really worked for him . And throw away what did ' nt work for him . He was very logical as a person look at his books , and read about him and unless you really read about him you would ' nt have an idea of what kind of a person he was . He was ****y and arrogant , but he was like that for a reason , he knew what he was talking about .

The funny thing is after he passed away , people think that they could kick his ass , just like some other martial artist would say . It ' s easy to talk bad about a person when they don ' t exist , but try talking bad about them when they ' re around you ? Big trouble it ' s either you can beat the man or not . And he did develop a unique martial art based on what he researched about combat fighting . He took what worked for him from traditional martial arts and put in his personal art . I could go on and on , but you people already about him anyway .
Eventhough I was to hate him like some people do , he ' s still the greatest , even the filipino boxer Manny Paciao was influenced by Bruce Lee , maybe
that ' s why he ' s so good . But I like the guy anyway , he ' s the man of his words . He could do what other martial artist can ' t do . So that ' s why he ' s the greatest .

Lokhopkuen
07-22-2011, 03:35 AM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/55297/bruce-lee-o.gif

MightyB
07-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Wow, couldnt get past the first page till the typical posts started coming in. Im dissapointed in some of you guys, show some respect on the anniversary of the man's death for goodness sake!

You were the only person to catch that (great reason to start a tribute thread about BLŪ in July) ... that fact went over everyone else's head - even Gene's! :eek:

David Jamieson
07-22-2011, 05:53 AM
You were the only person to catch that (great reason to start a tribute thread about BLŪ in July) ... that fact went over everyone else's head - even Gene's! :eek:

Well, I can't name hardly any pokemons either. :p

Besides, I was getting ready to celebrate Marshall McCluhan and the first moon landing. :mad:

SPJ
07-22-2011, 06:48 AM
yes, on july 20, 1969 "eagle has landed".

I watched live on black and white tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4

--

sadly, space shuttle 30 year career also ended/landed this month 2011.

neil armstrong is hero to me

BL eeeh--

--

;)

SPJ
07-22-2011, 06:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0qQGS4fXSY

combat

I watched every single episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZcbifYqpGc

rat patrol

I watched all the seasons.

:cool:

my point is that

a soldier is a hero to me

an police officer is a hero to me

and they all know combat first hand.

BL is a movie star.

people may like his role on tv or in a movie.

in real life

---

;)