PDA

View Full Version : Sore muscles...some help please=)?

SilentShadow
01-30-2001, 09:36 AM
I've been taking Kung Fu for about 3 months now, and my sifu likes to put an emphasis on conditioning. Now don't get me wrong, I know that training my muscles is a nescessary part of kung fu, but I'm always sore for the next 2 days after class. Is there anything I can do to ease my pain, or do I just have to deal with it=)?

"The way lays claim to no merit, therefore merit never deserts it." - Lao Tzu

Goktimus Prime
01-30-2001, 10:36 AM
Have you told your instructor about this?

Because you really should not be pushed too far beyond your physical limits. As I already explained in the "DUTY OF CARE" thread, you will actually gain maximum benefit if you are gradually conditioned. If your instructor is pushing you too far to the point that you are sustaining injury (which is actually illegal - although injuries will always happen in a contact activity like martial arts, you're <u>not</u> allowed to intentionally place students in a situation which would place them in excessive risk of sustaining injury - because this is a form of neglect). Even if it's just soreness, you ought to report this to your instructor, because your physical welfare in his class is his responsibility (legally defined as "Duty of Care"). Your instructor should know what action to take.

Everybody feels sore at first, but three months is a pretty long time (unless you've been sporadic in your training).

Also, I recommend seeing your doctor. Extended periods of soreness may be symptoms of internal injuries -- I'm obviously not going to make an online diagnosis on you, so go see your doctor.

In the meantime, go to your pharmacist and buy yourself some kind of ketoprofen gel (such as Orudis) which you simply massage onto your sore areas about three to four times a day. Again, please consult your pharmacist or doctor for professional medical advice.

"Wit is educated insolence." - Aristotle (284-322 BC)

SilentShadow
01-31-2001, 05:50 AM
First of all, thanks for the response. I definetly will go see my doctor, because I had a car accident not too long ago. I opted not to go to the hospital, because the only pain that I had was a scrape on my knee.
Oh, and does twice a week qualify as sporadic?

Brian_CA
01-31-2001, 07:05 AM
How did you get hurt? Have you let the instructor know that you have injuries? It may just be lactic acid built up in the muscles. So stretch lightly and gently. Massage may help. Consult a good doctor and get plently of protien in your diet. Also drink a lot of water during the course of the day. At least 2-3 liters over the day. Spread out the consumtion over a 8 hour period.

Hope this helps

Brian Monnier
San Francisco, CA

Mr. Nemo
01-31-2001, 07:15 AM
This might sound weird, and it might be bad advice, but...

It may be your diet. When I added more protein and less carbohydrate to my diet, I stopped having soreness problems the next day - the difference was dramatic.

But don't take my word for it - these guys are right, see a doctor. Better safe than sorry.

Robinf
01-31-2001, 04:41 PM
STRETCH--after your workout, fully and completely. Also, stretch in the shower afterwards.

And, check your diet. You might not be getting enough fat and/or protein. You don't want to over do it on these, but you do need enough to help your body.

Robin

SilentShadow
02-01-2001, 05:36 AM
Seeing as cheeseburgers are the main staple in my diet, I doubt that it's a lack of protein=). But I never stretch after class or working out, so I'll give it a shot.....And on that same topic, can anyone reccomend a good stretch for my abs?

Robinf
02-01-2001, 04:18 PM
Lying on the floor on your back, stretch your arms above your head and stretch your feet straight out. Also, iron bridge helps out--the stretch not the technique, feet flat on the floor (I suggest you start lying on your back), put your hands near or under your shoulder with your palms facing away from you and push up (so your body makes a bridge).

To stretch the obliques, standing up, arms stretched toward the ceiling then lean to one side as much as you can (keeping your shoulders square to the front)--you should feel a stretch in your side.

Piece of advice about your diet--cut down on the cheese and put more romain lettuce and tomato on your burger.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

joedoe
02-08-2001, 01:13 AM
I've also found a soaking in a hot bath or shower after training helps. As previously mentioned, stretching while doing this also helps.

neptunesfall
02-20-2001, 10:51 AM
try working out the next morning, first thing. you may be sore when you first wake up, but a second work out, even if it is a lighter work out, will loosen your muscles and warm them up. and you will have practiced your stances and techniques yet again!
as mentioned before, nutrition plays an important part in training. try adding a multivitamin to your diet - it will provide you with potassium, magnesium and calcium, which all help eliminate muscle soreness.
if you don't like pills, try a small (maybe 4 oz) glass of milk, a tablespoon of peanut butter and bananna an hour or so before bedtime. they will provide you with the potassium, magnesium and calcium and also L-tryptophan, an amino acid which promotes restful sleep and aids in muscle recovery.
another source of L-tryptophan is turkey.
chicken also provides you with L-ornithine and L-arginine, 2 more amino acids which will help wih muscle recovery and healing.

02-20-2001, 03:20 PM
you know sh!t abandit.what kind of b*llsh!t is that.duh hot shower/cold shower sounds kinky. is that what you do with toothless tiger in the drainage department?you p**f!

5star praying mantis

joedoe
02-20-2001, 10:52 PM
This is the last time I will respond to you in a serious thread. You aren't worth responding to.

I will continue to humiliate you in the other threads that you and your friends set up especially for it, but leave the serious threads alone. Please don't infect the rest of the forum with your drivel.

dunbarj01
02-21-2001, 03:58 AM
Hey,

I find shiatsu quite good for easing up muscle ache especially if it's quite strong. For muscles that don't loosen up, my chiropractor used acupuncture to release some muscles on the side of leg that had been tense for weeks. I found this to work well.

02-21-2001, 04:23 AM
how does putting needles into yer noggins help out tension.where's proof and mechanism here. how does that work?yor just full of cr@p.shiatsu is just a nicer way of saying massage parlor hand job.probably what ya need to git yer limpy d!ck up.stop preaching this b*llsh!t untl ya can proof it all.

5star praying mantis

dunbarj01
02-21-2001, 08:18 AM
Ginger in the fresh form or as powder might also help. Just found an article discussing the anti-inflammatory properties of this plant. Also, alcoholic extracts of Echinacea root offer pain relief. Not sure how available the latter is outside of the pharmaceutical industry.

TigerFork
02-21-2001, 03:15 PM
Ginger is a great anti inflammatory.
not sure Echinacea will provide much relief for muscle aches though (unless there was an infectious process or lymphatic disorder involved)

Wild yam can help muscle spasm, jamaican dogwood can help reduce pain.
perhaps an appropriate ginseng may help eg. siberian ginseng (more energy and endurance, better recovery) don't over use these herbs though .

dunbarj01
02-22-2001, 12:13 AM
Hey Tigerfork,

The info I have states the active of echinacea is isobutylamide. Also there is the essential oil of capsicum which acts as an analgesic on the skin.

Cheers

deadlypower
03-04-2001, 04:49 AM
Have you ever considered suing;;;;;;;; you can get a free consultation with the suing expert on this matter,GOKTIMUS PRIME.

power

Fu-Pow
03-17-2001, 11:32 PM
I seem to have the same problem when working out, especially if I have a real intense extended workout. Actually, it is strange but I'm actually sorer the 2nd day after I work out.

I've heard a few good suggestions: massage, hot baths, stretching, light workouts, in addition I'd say B vitamins and plenty of water.

The biochemistry of soreness is caused by a build up of lactic acid in the muscle tissue when the muscle cells flip over to anaerobic respiration. When your muscles cells do this is dictated by how cardiovascularly fit you are and how much oxygen you can get to your muscle tissue.
The only way for this lactic acid to dissapate is for it to make its way back to the liver where it is converted back to sugar by an enzyme called lactate (lactic acid) dehydrogenase.
Anthing that helps promote this process is helpful ie gets things moving eg water, massage, working out, etc. .
Also, whatever you do, do not drink alchohol if you are sore or had a really intense work out. In addition to dehydrating you, alcohol is converted to lactic acid by the liver (the enzyme works both ways). The sluggishness associated with a hangover is caused by this lactic acid build up. My own experience has been much sorer muscles after working out and consuming alcohol.

Fu-Pow

Insynergy
03-23-2001, 10:51 AM
I've found the best all round are warm/hot baths with essential oils (not sure which are best, I generally use lavender, marjoram and/or rosemary). Accompanied by self-massage of the bits in question whilst soaking. Followed by light activity the next morning. I find that passive stretching feels good whilst you are doing it, but I don't find it has much lasting effect on the soreness, as opposed to dynamic stretching or simply a light work out.
Just started capoeira yesterday. The backs of my thighs, butt, and lower back feel like they are tied in knots :) Can only be a good thing, means they're not strong enough *yet* :

Mr. Nemo
03-23-2001, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about sleep. I start to get sore more easily the morning after a workout if I don't get enough sleep.