GlennR
07-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi All
Id just be interested in everyones fav non-WC MAist

Fire away!

GlennR

anerlich
07-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Genki Sudo back when he was fighting. These days, probably GSP.

YouKnowWho
07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
I like

- Longfist for foundation,
- Prey Mantis for speed,
- Baji for power, and
- SC for lock and throw.

GlennR
07-20-2011, 06:51 PM
I like

- Longfist for foundation,
- Prey Mantis for speed,
- Baji for power, and
- SC for lock and throw.

Hey YKW... i meant person, not style

YouKnowWho
07-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Hey YKW... i meant person, not style

Sorry for my bad Chinglish. :o

Live or dead?

Dantien
07-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Dan Inosanto, Anderson Silva

GlennR
07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry for my bad Chinglish. :o

Live or dead?

How about one of each

HumbleWCGuy
07-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Randy Couture-He's Captain America and I think that he exemplifies a lot of what a WC fighter should strive to.

Anderson Silva- He is a true martial artist. He finds value in every system rather than criticize. He is a true MMAist.

YouKnowWho
07-20-2011, 07:19 PM
How about one of each

Dead:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5370/changyoung.jpg

Alived: David C. K. Lin

Phil Redmond
07-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Anyone who fights. ;)

GlennR
07-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Anyone who fights. ;)

Awwww come on Phil, you must have a hero or 2 ;)

Wu Wei Wu
07-20-2011, 09:22 PM
1) Bruce Lee
2) BJ Penn
3) Steve Morris

lance
07-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi All

Fire away!

GlennR

Chiu Chi Ling Sifu

Lee Siu Hung

Jerry Poteet

Ted Wong

WC1277
07-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Any bareknuckle boxer. I give them mad props, and if they're even half way decent at it, they are truly the arch nemesis of wing chun IMO

Vajramusti
07-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Gama

Bob Fitzimmons, Sugar Ray Robinson, Tyson(in his prime)

Deng(shuai chao)

Chen Xiao Wang

Gene Labelle

Gato(the Cat) Jimenez(street)
-------------------------------------------
I met 4 of them.

joy chaudhuri

TenTigers
07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Batman.

trubblman
07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Liborio G Heyrosa and Masahiko Kimura

TenTigers
07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
in actuality, Jack Dempsey.
Has anyone here read his book? Very insightful. One would think he studied WCK...

Grumblegeezer
07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
in actuality, Jack Dempsey.
Has anyone here read his book? Very insightful. One would think he studied WCK...

Yep. Dempsey is a good choice, as are a lot of the others mentioned.

Now, for weapons usage, how 'bout old Tatang Ilustrisimo?

TenTigers
07-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Chris Sayoc. I find that the Sayoc Kali knife techniques connect seamlessly with WCK.

couch
07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Micky Ward...

...because of the battles he had with Gatti.

GlennR
07-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Great call on Ilutrismo, havent heard him mentioned in years

GlennR
07-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Gama

Bob Fitzimmons, Sugar Ray Robinson, Tyson(in his prime)

Deng(shuai chao)

Chen Xiao Wang

Gene Labelle

Gato(the Cat) Jimenez(street)
-------------------------------------------
I met 4 of them.

joy chaudhuri

Which 4 did you meet Joy?

GlennR
07-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi All

Fire away!

GlennR

I'll put mine in now.

Im a boxing fan, so im biased, but mine is Bernard Hopkins.

Its probably got to do with his age (he's 46 like me) but to accomplish what he has done at his age is astounding.

And his ethos is simple, technique (he really is a throwback to the great boxers of the past), clean living and hard work......

Vajramusti
07-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Which 4 did you meet Joy?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Glenn- Gama was old when I met him in undivided India in Kolkata when he was there visiting a
wrestling pit.. He was one of the greats in wrestling. I have seen some great college wrestling back in Oklahoma days including Danny Hodges the ex Olympian lightheavy. I am an old timer- Oklahoma in the 50s was THE state for growing wrestlers.

Fairtex used to have a MT training center here in the valley and I used to go watch the training there.

Tyson used to live and work out in this valley(Phoenix metro)(Ali-I met him too- he trained in Arizona for one fight and lived here for a while after he retired-he raises money for the Barrow's neurological institute- Sugar Ray Leonard trained here too several times-I met him and attended two of his training sessions one in Tucson and one in Mesa.. I also got and have misplaced his autograph- when he came for Ed Too Tall Jones's (Dallas football player) disastrous
boxing match in Las Cruces, New mexico). Howard Cosell briefly lost his wig when people were throwing things towards the ring when they called the match a draw(or no contest?) when Jones was clearly knocked out by Yaqui Menses who was atleast 40 pounds lighter.

I have met Dempsey too in 1952 when he had a a restaurant in Manhattan. Gene Tunney's analysis of boxing is better. Fitzimmon's corksrew punch was superb- put Gentleman Jim Corbett down with it. No one however can touch Robinson.

In boxing history. Your boxing choice of the Philadelphian Bernard Hopkins is good- his putting Oscar de la Hoya down witha liver shot
was amazing..
Cat Jimenez was an amazing street fighter (and gambler)till he got stabbed with an ice pick into his liver- he survived but was not the same afterwards... I used to roam Oklahoma City streets with him.

I have met Chen Xiao Wang the standard bearer of Chen style taiji about 8 times over the years and took lessons from him during his US visits.He is the real McCoy- not the waving hands taichi in the parks variety
I am fascinated by martial motion..
I love all that but wing chun is my real life game.

Joy chaudhuri

nasmedicine
07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Tony Jaa (i think is showmanship is superb) :)
Mark Dacascos also!

JamesC
07-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Joy, i'm jealous that you got to meet the Great Gama. That's awesome.

GlennR
07-22-2011, 06:29 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[QUOTE]Hi Glenn- Gama was old when I met him in undivided India in Kolkata when he was there visiting a
wrestling pit.. He was one of the greats in wrestling. I have seen some great college wrestling back in Oklahoma days including Danny Hodges the ex Olympian lightheavy. I am an old timer- Oklahoma in the 50s was THE state for growing wrestlers.

Just did a search on Gama as i didnt know of him.... amazing

I have met Dempsey too in 1952 when he had a a restaurant in Manhattan. Gene Tunney's analysis of boxing is better. Fitzimmon's corksrew punch was superb- put Gentleman Jim Corbett down with it. No one however can touch Robinson.

You do get boxing Joy, Tunney was better than Dempsey IMO but just didnt have that mystique that Dempsey had... he handily beat him

In boxing history. Your boxing choice of the Philadelphian Bernard Hopkins is good- his putting Oscar de la Hoya down witha liver shot
was amazing..

True, but id rate his 2 fights against Pascal as his finest moments.... though dismantling Pavlik and Tarver was great as well

I have met Chen Xiao Wang the standard bearer of Chen style taiji about 8 times over the years and took lessons from him during his US visits.He is the real McCoy- not the waving hands taichi in the parks variety
I am fascinated by martial motion..
I love all that but wing chun is my real life game.

Im jealous Joy... thanks for sharing all that

GlennR

Phil Redmond
07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd have to say Ng Wai Hong of Fu Jow Pai. He was my first Gung Fu Sifu
http://www.fujowpai.com/waihong.html

Vajramusti
07-24-2011, 11:30 AM
I'd have to say Ng Wai Hong of Fu Jow Pai. He was my first Gung Fu Sifu
http://www.fujowpai.com/waihong.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Phil- I know that you also trained kick boxing with Zab Judah's father. I saw the HBO presentation last night of the Amir KHan and Zab Judah match. Zab Judah is a south paw and has a powerful left as well as a good right jab and hook--but he really couldn't get inside . The reach difference was huge.
He finally was counted out with a below the belt blow by Khan- which should not have counted.
The Klitschko(sp?) brothers were also kick boxers at one time.

joy chaudhuri

Phil Redmond
08-06-2011, 02:27 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Phil- I know that you also trained kick boxing with Zab Judah's father. I saw the HBO presentation last night of the Amir KHan and Zab Judah match. Zab Judah is a south paw and has a powerful left as well as a good right jab and hook--but he really couldn't get inside . The reach difference was huge.
He finally was counted out with a below the belt blow by Khan- which should not have counted.
The Klitschko(sp?) brothers were also kick boxers at one time.

joy chaudhuri
Yes, I did train with Yoel Judah. I also trained with "Little" John Davis, and Ralph Mitchell of Southern Praying Mantis for some of my fights. I'll be looking to see Zab's fights. There were many black Israelites that trained martial arts in Brooklyn. Of course Yoel was one of them. I also had the pleasure of training with two senior Eagle Claw students of Leung Shum http://www.yingjowpai.com/ http://www.kungfutoday.com/masterscrima_masterscrimasinstructors_leungshum.ph p
who were from the black Israelite camp. I was doing Wing Chun at the time with Duncan Leung. Johnny Lee was my classmate. http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/photos.asp 1st column, 4th row in the white shirt. I was also friends with his brother Benson Lee who I encouraged to fight since in the 70s Kung Fu people were not respected in the full contact arena.Sifu Ralph Mitchell was also an inspiration for me. First of all at the time he was one of only two black men allowed into NYC's Hung Mun (Chinese Freemasons). As far as I know I was the 3rd. I watched Sifu Mitchell in a full contact event where they used headgear with plastic face guards. He was getting cheated on points because he was a gung fu guy.So to prove that he was hitting his opponent he cracked his opponent's face guard. He was the talk of the NYC gung fu scene after that.
Sifu Joy, you brought back many memories. Some of which are too unbelievable to post as I know you have some as well. Please excuse typos/syntax/grammar. I'm really tired now but had to respond. :)

Vajramusti
08-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your post Phil. That looks like Dennis Brown a kung fu old timer- second to the left from you- looking at the picture. Could be wrong?

Joy Chaudhuri

Phil Redmond
08-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your post Phil. That looks like Dennis Brown a kung fu old timer- second to the left from you- looking at the picture. Could be wrong?

Joy Chaudhuri
Yes, that is Dennis Brown. Southern Mantis Ralph Mitchell is also there. He helped me train for my first full contact fight.

aussie1981
08-08-2011, 05:27 AM
Chuck Norris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

mjw
08-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Fedor & Pacquio (spelled it wrong I know)