PDA

View Full Version : And he's not even Praying Mantis

-N-
07-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Ran across this while random netsurfing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUcQMCLHGc

Fast forward to 3:35.

This is what Sup Say Lo tries to teach people. But not many can do it that way.

TaichiMantis
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Looks very mantis! nice

EarthDragon
07-26-2011, 01:36 PM
well, lets say it uses mantis principles, but looked more like hand to hand - minus mantis flavor.

iunojupiter
07-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Not to derail the thread, but what is "mantis flavor"? Is it the principles and spirit of the mantis, or the look? I've always felt that a style's flavor is the principles and spirit behind it, not so much the wrote technique and look of the style.

But that's me.

Cheers,
Josh

MightyB
07-26-2011, 02:00 PM
it's the shin stomp - notice the shin stomp - no one pays attention to the shin stomp...

shin stomp - ;)

TaichiMantis
07-26-2011, 02:14 PM
it's the shin stomp - notice the shin stomp - no one pays attention to the shin stomp...

shin stomp - ;)

Lol! yep, that's mantis flava! But I too think more in principles...;)

MightyB
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
did you see how he describes "covering up" to close the distance? I've been borrowing a lot from CMD and have adopted that style of cover. Still getting used to it, but (in my experience) it seems to protect me pretty well while buying time for me to figure out my opponent's rhythm so I can pull off a spontaneous, unrehearsed ou lou tsai and all kinds of other crazy mantis fun.

TaichiMantis
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
"buying time" is key in my fight survival strategies...:D

mooyingmantis
07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
-N-,

Good find! That knee strike followed by the coiling elbow is commonly found in Mantis forms.

-N-
07-26-2011, 06:32 PM

shin stomp - ;)

Haha, I thought you'd appreciate that.

-N-
07-26-2011, 06:35 PM
did you see how he describes "covering up" to close the distance? I've been borrowing a lot from CMD and have adopted that style of cover. Still getting used to it, but (in my experience) it seems to protect me pretty well while buying time for me to figure out my opponent's rhythm so I can pull off a spontaneous, unrehearsed ou lou tsai and all kinds of other crazy mantis fun.

At those ranges and speeds, you're already up in his face and crashing his body. You get to impose your rhythm on him, instead of trying to figure out his lead :)

-N-
07-26-2011, 06:37 PM
well, lets say it uses mantis principles, but looked more like hand to hand - minus mantis flavor.

Mantis ideas and aggressiveness.

-N-
07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
did you see how he describes "covering up" to close the distance? I've been borrowing a lot from CMD and have adopted that style of cover.

That cover basically belongs to the same category as the tiou jeong, the palm flipping into long/short guard. Typically seen with cat stance as in line 5 of Sup Say Lo.

We consider tiou jeong as classical stylized, and the other as close range variant of modern practical.

His application of that method is advanced in that he applies the defensive aspect of the tiou simultaneously with his low attack, instead of sequentially.

EarthDragon
07-27-2011, 06:59 AM
junojupiter,
for me the "flavor" of a style means that you can see the characteristics of i.e (an animal) and its mimiced in the movemements and can be clealry seen when performing them.

So in principle and or in sprit could tomato soup be confused with chicken soup? sure could as they are both soups however the flavor or look would obviously tell them apart. hope that helps

mooyingmantis
07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
junojupiter,
for me the "flavor" of a style means that you can see the characteristics of i.e (an animal) and its mimicked in the movements and can be clearly seen when performing them.

So in principle and or in spirit could tomato soup be confused with chicken soup? sure could as they are both soups however the flavor or look would obviously tell them apart. hope that helps

Agrees with the big guy! :D

MightyB
07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
junojupiter,
for me the "flavor" of a style means that you can see the characteristics of i.e (an animal) and its mimiced in the movemements and can be clealry seen when performing them.

Then my wife's clearly a Mantis master since she routinely chews my head off. :D

iunojupiter
07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Earth, Mooying,
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

Still buds, right?
:D

Cheers!
Josh

EarthDragon
07-27-2011, 09:09 PM
LOL mighty B if thats the case we are all mantises!

juno,
always buds my brother, if we all agreed this world would be a boring place.

mooyingmantis
07-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Earth, Mooying,
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

Still buds, right?
:D

Cheers!
Josh

LOL! Mantis is big enough for each of our opinions! :)

I consider the "look" or "flavor" to be the flesh of the style. The outward appearance that causes beginners to say, "Hey, that dude's doing mantis!"

The principles and mechanics are the skeleton of the style. It is what makes the style work. These are recognized by the peeps that know what to look for in the style and are not just dazzled by the outward appearance.

EarthDragon
07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
well said mooying

DBAC
08-02-2011, 09:29 PM
It is easy to find mantis principles in many things, but it is much harder to find something that is also void of contradictions to those principles.

EarthDragon
08-03-2011, 05:52 AM
can you explain that DBAC

Michael Dasargo
08-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I believe he is saying that we see what we want to see.

When I look at fighting, I see fighting principles.

When I look at styles, I see context.

M.