PDA

View Full Version : Question Lei Tai???

mjw
07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Is Lei Tai the same thing as San Shou or what is it or the difference?

Thanks in advance

omarthefish
07-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Not the same.

Technically a leitai is a type of arena. Traditionally it's a raised platform that you fight on. Sometimes it is used to refer to a rule set in that rather than building an actual raised platform to fight on, people will score a match, generally a sanda/sanshou match, as if it was on an actual leitai. That's where the confusion is.

In a traditional leitai fight, getting pushed off the stage meant that you lost. Nowadays it tends to be either just extra points, more than a throw even, or something like 3 times off the stage and you lose.

mjw
07-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Gotcha what is the typical size of the lei tai??

omarthefish
07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't think there's a standard size.

The old traditional leitai would be like the same kind of stage where people perform plays or Chinese opera or whatever. Nowadays, I see them in all sizes. I don't think there's a standard. Not sure though.

lkfmdc
07-27-2011, 10:30 AM
IWUF official size is 8 meters by 8 meters but I have seen all sorts of variations

bawang
07-27-2011, 10:32 AM
lei tai is a ringless stage, not a rule

traditional rules range from leather protectors and referee to no rules, wrestling only to eveyrthing allowed

originally a drum was used because chinese soldiers were conditioned to go berzerk on cue of drum beats

omarthefish
07-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Traditionally that's true but, for example, the fights I had earlier this year were called "leitai" even though there was no stage. They just taped it on the ground and scored it so that being pushed out of the ring was considered equivalent to being pushed off the leitai. That was in Tianjing. So while I basically agree with you on that, the term still gets used pretty loosely.

bawang
07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
on the ground is called sha chang "killing field"

your tianjian friends use it loosely because they are uppity big city people (they have the gay)

David Jamieson
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
...so much coffee out of a small nose like mine can only be carried out once a day!

SPJ
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
lei tai is a ringless stage, not a rule

correct.

it just means raised stage.

:)

lkfmdc
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
on the ground is called "killing field"

I prefer "killing floor"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4j4ipISBGE&feature=related

mooyingmantis
07-27-2011, 12:43 PM
The leitai we use in my school is a 6' x 6' raised wooden platform covered with thin interlocking mats.

I chose a platform this small to force my students to master in-fighting and discourage running around.

My students are required to wear a mouthpiece, groin protection, headgear, fingerless gloves and shin/instep pads.

mjw
08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
For the event it's 24x24 ft for kuoshu Lei Tai as they call it......

SPJ
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
yes it can be a square or a circle.

:)