PDA

View Full Version : exercise chi ..how?

KJoker
02-07-2001, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know any breathing techniques to train or build your chi?
I was told that for beginner level..well here's the step.

1. Inhale - keep the air on the chest, not stomach
2. count to 10
3. exhale
4. repeat

After awhile, you will feel as if you're falling backwards. (any truth to this?) :confused:
When you get to a pretty high level and you practice punches or pushes...people who are standing several feet away could feel the force.
I know that you're not suppose to do the breathing exercise for too long or drink water after the exercise because it could damage internal organs.

any advice on breathing exercise?
Thanks.

danny from miami
02-07-2001, 06:10 PM
...i always thought you should breath into you into your stomach, not your chest

joedoe
02-08-2001, 08:50 AM
Never been taught to breathe into the chest, always been into the stomach.

Some exercises require you to breathe into the stomach, then push it into the chest, then expell, but I have never been taught to breathe straight into the chest.

I guess if you do that enough, you may pass out and hence the falling backwards ;-).

sblano
02-09-2001, 09:41 PM
It all depends on what you want to occomplish .If you what to work on chi development you have to breath with your belly also if you want to lower your center of gravity .Chest breathing is used for technique were you want to be more light on your feet therefore lifting your center of gravity This is a good way to practice your flying kicks. good luck. ;)

Braden
02-10-2001, 02:24 AM
I strongly recommend against the above described training method. If you're interested in internal development, find an instructor.

GLW
02-10-2001, 02:35 AM
The eeling of falling backwards and such...is called hyperventiliation or oxygen deprivation ...either way you go, it is not a good thing the way this person describes it.

Qi Gong practice from what you think up on your own will be, at best, fruitless, at worst, very bad for your health.

The holding of breath is not recommended for most Qi Gong methods and the only methods I have encountered which advocate holding the breath do so in advanced levels...never as a beginner exercise.

The best ways to do Qi gong involve natural methods. Holding the breath is NOT natural and does not flow.

prana
02-11-2001, 07:59 AM
My experience in Qi Gong is quite different to those mentioned here. My first encounter was when I was introduced to the so called healer god "Wang Lau Sien Se"..(pardon the spelling).
It was a feeling of numbness rushing throughout my arms and then my body causing it to shake and move.

After many years of training and discovery and having learnt Chan, I have found that Qi can be discovered in the body my many methods. I approached the method derived from the old school of Buddhism to my Martial Arts Grandmaster. He simply says "slow but clean !"

In summary, Qi is everywhere and one. It can be discovered if your attention is focussed, without craving and without aversion.
I now know there exists many ways of understanding and improving on one's Qi. My grandmaster would make us do exercise that better allow the meridian paths to flow. Whilst the strongest flow of Qi I have ever felt is undenyably form sitting crosslegged in meditation and equanimity to thoughts, until the subside. All of a sudden... BANG!

I hope you find your method that works for you...

KJoker
02-11-2001, 06:13 PM
Abandit,
>>I guess if you do that enough, you may pass out and hence the falling backwards ;-). << lol, agree to that.

sblano,

that is cool. thanks for the info. That is a new information for me. I didn't know that.

Braden,

A good idea. I think I will. But there's no one in my school that teaches that. I'm learning wushu, so we do forms. ^_^ Probably when I'm older and I can start learning Qi gong.

And thanks guys for the tips. I'll probably stick to Wushu first. Get my level higher.

:)

"Welcome to my room. When will you be leaving?" -- Garfield
"Don't worry. Be stupid!" -- Odie

Godzilla
02-12-2001, 08:04 PM
Sit or lay with your hands on your belly.
One above the navel, one below.
Breathe deeply thru your nose into your hands.
Feel your belly swell.
Breathe out thru your mouth with perched, tight, lips slowly.

You can vary this technique and place your hands where you feel comfortable.

Clear your mind when you breathe. This is hard! Think only of the air entering and leaving your body.

Or, try counting to 10. First breath is One, second breath is Two, etc. If you think of anything other than those numbers (oh, I forgot to do this at work, or hope she likes me or I am hungry), start from One again. Bet you wont get far at first but keep trying. Do this for about 5 or 10 minutes in the morning or at night (or both). After much practice, you will begin to feel more relaxed throughout the entire day.

Enjoy!
Godzilla