PDA

View Full Version : which branch of hung gar?

wiz cool c
07-28-2011, 11:23 PM
which branch of hung gar does this tiger crane for come from? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcANYDDOv78

once ronin
07-29-2011, 01:08 AM
I saw this form in Guangzhou, the school had a strong foundation in Hop Gar.

I remember Siu Ting Fun"s wife doing this version. At the time she didnt do Bak Mei.

wiz cool c
07-29-2011, 01:17 AM
yes i learned the same version here in shenzhen close to guangzhuo,i can't get a clear answer on what branch it is from.

unyma
07-29-2011, 05:58 AM
That's a very nice version of Tiger Crane, quite a few of the crane techniques are identical to those in some of the Hop Gar forms I practice.

TenTigers
07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
that is a contemprary wu-shu version of Tiger Crane, based on Lam Sai-Wing Fu Hok Seurng Ying Kuen, but modified. It was actually used as the compulsory Nam Kuen (Nanquan) form before the later hybrids were created. -all flash, no cash.
Poor focus, hyperextended arms, exaggerated movements, improper structure.

Looks cool, though...

lkfmdc
07-29-2011, 11:07 AM
this was the standardized form that the first wave of contemporary wushu was using. As such, it is more interested in appearance than substance.

CLFNole
07-29-2011, 12:06 PM
You can even see a part or two that looks like CLF towards the end. Definately a wushu look to it but not as drastic as some of the other wushu sets. The feel and flow just seems weird for hung kuen.

wiz cool c
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
that is a contemprary wu-shu version of Tiger Crane, based on Lam Sai-Wing Fu Hok Seurng Ying Kuen, but modified. It was actually used as the compulsory Nam Kuen (Nanquan) form before the later hybrids were created. -all flash, no cash.
Poor focus, hyperextended arms, exaggerated movements, improper structure.

Looks cool, though...

thanks ten tigers very useful information, i have to disagree with some people about this form is fluff and no substance, if it was based on Lam Sai-Wing Fu Hok Seurng Ying Kuen and the original reason for creating wushu was to unify kung fu and give people a standard version of the set,then the original techniques are in there,with slightly or no change.

when i practice this routine like the guy you can see in the video we aren't dancing feel strong as a f@#$. And i have no doubt that i could poke an eye out or rip someone's face up with this stuff. in fact i just had a small altercation the other day and used a technique and body movement principle i learned from this form,worked very well.

i think people get too caught up with the mysticism and names and don't train hard enough. you think if in real life the guy from this video who is obviously in great shape and training very hard,was to have a fight with another traditional hung gar guy that the traditional guy would have any upper hand at all?

HungKuenH
07-30-2011, 03:10 AM
you can see that this form is basicially fu hok but its just the moves...the guy looks ripped and strong but it doesnt mean he can fight. I have lived for 3 months in Hangzhou and trained with the zheijiang wushu team(1991)..each of those provincial teams have always someone like the guy in the video..the nan quan guy...i tell you this while they all were pretty much athletic and could jump etc..they were all more or less performers and not fighters...its just the sanda guys that can fight..that was my observation in 1991...many traditional kung fu schools nowadays may train only their forms and sparring sets but there are also enough schools that practice the techniques and do a lot of lin gung and sparring..

you think if in real life the guy from this video who is obviously in great shape and training very hard,was to have a fight with another traditional hung gar guy that the traditional guy would have any upper hand at all?

yes ,if the traditional hung gar guy trains properly Id say yes..again this guy may look in shape etc,but Im almost sure he never punched anything,or sparred,...etc. he just know how to perform and looks in shape...i seen them train for 3 months..
he still probably beats the average guy though...

unyma
07-30-2011, 05:16 AM
He does the form well, that's pretty much all you can tell from seeing this video. Don't we all agree that forms are a catalog of techniques not a means of fighting? I would hope that no one thinks they are going to use these moves in exactly this sequence in exactly these postures in a fight, but that doesn't mean you can't use them at all.

This guy could be a good fighter but here he's demonstrating a specific set of moves in a very particular way.

wiz cool c
07-30-2011, 05:40 AM
i have been doing martial arts for 30 years,i don't need anyone telling me i can't use what i learn because it isn't this linage or that bla bla bla,in order to fight you need to hit pads spar and all that,and to develop power you must do more then forms, no secret adjustment here and exhale here is making any difference in a fight,so yap yap yap away

i got the answer i needed thanks ten tigers

TenTigers
07-30-2011, 06:25 AM
if it was based on Lam Sai-Wing Fu Hok Seurng Ying Kuen and the original reason for creating wushu was to unify kung fu and give people a standard version of the set,then the original techniques are in there,with slightly or no change.

I can say without speculation, (as I have trained extensively in the Lam Sai-Wing forms as well as the Tang Fung line), that the techniques have been changed much, much more than slightly.
In order for them to be more aesthetically pleasing and exciting, they have been highly exaggerated, over extended, elbows hyper extended, (which means that he probably has never hit anything, or anyone much) footwork, angles, I can go on and one, but this form is a xerox of a xerox, and is strictly for performance.

Sure, you can draw techniques from it. A punch, is after all still a punch. But to have the correct body structure, alignments, and usage would take knowledge in the traditional system, not a choreographed performance set.

Remember this-when the PRC Gov't. decided to bring back Martial Arts, they removed all the combative techniques and mixed it with Opera and acrobatics, for dynamic performance and athleticism, because all revolutions against the Chinese Government were basically started by Martial Artists.

wiz cool c
07-30-2011, 07:38 AM
there is not a single hyper extended elbo in the form i learned and my master in china teaches me all the applications,so i disagree. what is boils down to is can you use it. as i said i use an application from the form the other day .

and yeah i remeber your teacher big fat italian guy out in long island

TenTigers
07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
there is not a single hyper extended elbo in the form i learned and my master in china teaches me all the applications,so i disagree. what is boils down to is can you use it. as i said i use an application from the form the other day .

and yeah i remeber your teacher big fat italian guy out in long island

ok..
one, grow up.
two- I was referring to the clip you posted. I have no idea how your teacher personally trains.
three- yes, one of my many teachers may have been overweight. But his skill and knowledge is of a high level. So..what's your point?

PM
07-30-2011, 09:50 AM
TT has posted very accurate description of the clip above, from a Lam Saiwing lineage point of view i 100% agree.