PDA

View Full Version : Old style "village" Hung Kuen? What forms are these?

LaterthanNever
07-29-2011, 05:34 PM
I could do w/out the music in the background(unless noone watching this hears it and it's just my computer acting zonko).

Anyway..

The man in this video is the late Grandmaster Lao Kim(parts remind me of GGFFK, whereas others remind me of Lau Ga Kuen).

Does anyone know what Hung Kuen sets these are? Thanks to whomever posted them. Resolution makes it hard to decipher, but intesting moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQKpO9cAC4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_3FOtXOtc

HungKuenH
08-12-2011, 02:36 AM
i cant watch the videos in germany because of music rights..would love to see them..

heres another one of Lao kim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1trPgnXXy3s

i know he taught a village style of hung kuen,he was famous in the 70s in chinatown manila,philippines....

Mulong
08-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Sadly Village Hung looks like every other style supposedly taught in Taishan/Toisaan/ 台 山; actually, one of those lu looks similar one that I do in fojiaquan.

lkfmdc
08-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Just watching the videos, this is historically from a period between original very short stance short fits hung fist and the later famous 'tiger and crane" Wong Fei Hung Ga style

There are a couple of opinions why "Hung" as a name is attached to so many lineages, but the quick story is, there was a lot of short hand kung fu in Guangdong, Guangxi (and even Fukien) that later adopted more "long hand"

By the time of Wong Fei Hung, the long hand, and not just the hand but the footwork and kicks, had so influenced it we got entirely different systems

bawang
08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
zhejiang tiger crane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAHGgct2zac

lkfmdc
08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
for some reason I always think of wen zhou as Fukien but it isn't it's in zhejiang

sanjuro_ronin
08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
For some there is a difference between Hung Kuen and Hung Ga.
Some view Hung Ga as a more family oriented system based almost exclusively on the teachings of WFH.
They view HK as the original system before it was modified by WFH.
Not sure how much there is to that and don't really care all the much to be honest.
But I do notice that the HK I do from my lineage in Macao doesn't always "add up" the the WFH lineages.

lkfmdc
08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
It's more to make life easier, you call WFH version hung Ga and all the other assorted styles hung Kyuhn

not much that it matters

yeshe
08-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I learned some of this style back in mid eighties from a teacher in Long Island.There was a picture of Lao Kim in the school .Those sets look real familiar.

taai gihk yahn
08-12-2011, 05:55 PM
It's more to make life easier, you call WFH version hung Ga and all the other assorted styles hung Kyuhn

not much that it matters

Bik Da.

what's that? three of them already?

ok then;

Bik Fu.

BIK FUUUUUU!!!

LaterthanNever
08-13-2011, 06:31 PM
"Bik Da.

Bik Fu."

Tai Gik Yaahn..so are those the names of sets? (in the videos that is). Is Bik Da and Bik Fu the names of forms?

Ye She..did you learn those sets from the instructor?

As for the other replies..Thank you..but to reiterate please:

Does anyone know the names of the forms? It's somewhat hard for me to decipher because the resolution is old 8MM film.

lkfmdc
08-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Taai Gihk is referring to an inside joke

I know the Long Island instructor referred to, he really ripped tons of people off with piles of bull crap

lkfmdc
08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I studied "hung fist" (older style) with both CTS and later for a short period of time with a guy called "iron head" (he was a chi kung guy who did all the hard chi kung tricks)

"iron head"'s version of Hung Kyuhn was very old style, very narrow stances, very short hand techniques, short sets that were confined to a very close area

HOWEVER, the sets were often not "set" as much as "concept" - ie he got the point where it wasn't "what is next" but rather "what do you want to be next" - not the typical kung fu that most people are used to

lkfmdc
08-13-2011, 07:22 PM
decided to start a new thread with something you might all be interested in

yeshe
08-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Taai Gihk is referring to an inside joke

I know the Long Island instructor referred to, he really ripped tons of people off with piles of bull crap

yeah boy do I know 4 years worth
that said,
I always thought the fella was teaching us to do the forms wrong, like too staccato or choppy
now there is the GM playing the forms just like I loined em all the way back then .
BTW I never learned anthing there I could actully fight with.
oh the folly of youth............
as for the names of the forms........dont nkow the names of those forms
there was sip de kune (sap ji) lien wa kune (combination form) a form called dragon tiger and salute kwan yin form there were more ........but ***etabaatit
ancient hstry!

AJM
09-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Looks like he was mixing forms from Ha Say Fu.

Ao Qin
09-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi all,

This is the Hung Gar curriculum I used to practice in the mid 1980's (not including weapons) - called "Foo Hok Pai" (Village Hung Gar mixed with Toisan Short Hand CLF);

Chut Sing (Den Choys / pow choys, etc.)
Luk Hop Kuen (same as above but longer)
(Siu) Jong Da Kuen
Moi Fah Kuen (Plum Flower Fist)
Gum Gong Kuen (Gold & Steel Fist)
Gung Ji Kuen ("I Beam")
Joy Lohan Kuen (Drunken Monk Fist)
Fah Kuen
Ching Lung (Green Dragon)
Woo Dip Jeung (Butterfly Palms)
Ng Ying Kuen (5 Animal Fist)
Oom (Ng) Long (5th Brother Fist) - the most advanced form
+ the core HG sets of course, minus Iron Thread

There were also many CLF sets from both BSCLF and our Village style under Master Wong Cheun Yip. And other HG sets I don't remember...

Brings back many fond (and not so fond) memories!

Ao Qin
09-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Forgot Lau Gar too - beautiful set! But Ng (Oom) Long Kuen and Ching Lung were the most powerful forms I've ever seen in the "Foo Hok Pai" system of my lineage.

I'm wondering if Chan Tai Shan also taught these sets, as there are at least three people in NA teaching his Art (the three Master Chans) under Master Wong Cheun Yip?

Cheers - kevin

R
09-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Can you clarify why you connect sifu to the Chan Tai San lineage Kevin?? I knew that they knew each other but I never got the impression that these two sifus were connected other than they were from the same region.

Thanks,

R