PDA

View Full Version : Should you wear gloves when pushing a heavy punching bag back with your knuckles?

phantom
02-11-2001, 05:08 PM
I already know that you should both wrap your hands and wear golves when punching the heavy bag. But does this rule also apply if I wanted to merely push the bag back with my knuckles? Thank you for any advice that you can give me on this topic.

premier
02-11-2001, 07:36 PM
well. anyway. gloves and wraps are a good way to protect your hands when your hands hasn't got used to pounding the bag. If you push the bag, there's no need to wear gloves. you can use something to support your wrists, if you're going to push the bag hard. but if the pushing exercise is supposed to condition your wrists, don't use anything. it wouldn't be too effective.

phantom
02-11-2001, 11:00 PM
Thanks, premier. I was told that pushing the bag is a good way to develop inch power.

joedoe
02-12-2001, 12:52 AM
If you are not making hard contact with the bag then I wouldn't worry. The only thing you need to worry about is possible cuts on the knuckles - this sometimes happens just from friction.

qeySuS
02-12-2001, 04:43 AM
well any kind of contact with a bag can result in a burn wound (i think that's what you call it :)

If you slip of the bag while pushing and such, so i'd recommend just handwraps (that should be enough).

Free thinkers are dangerous.

phantom
02-12-2001, 06:58 PM
But should I apply dit da jow on my hands right before and after doing this? I am sorry that I forgot to ask this before.

joedoe
02-13-2001, 04:24 AM
It couldn't hurt.

JWTAYLOR
02-14-2001, 12:54 AM
The only way it could hurt is if you have a cut or friction burn. Remember, most DDJ is very bad for any kind of open wound.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

meltdawn
02-14-2001, 05:25 PM
I personally don't use gloves.

Initially it is painful. Yes, a poor bag surface can cause injury and so can improper striking. I have learned that I needed to hit without protection to strengthen my hands and wrists, develop coordination, and work on other techniques that cannot be performed with gloves. Gloves can prevent the fist from being as tight as neccessary to the average practitioner, which does not help to develop a strong fist. I spend about 5 -10 minutes of bag work every other day, supplementing other "impact" conditioning exercises.

Always focus on your strike, use your whole body, think and breathe. Stop if you feel discomfort or pain.

Shake your hands vigorously and then apply jow before working out. Apply it after to your palms and wrists, but never use jow on open cuts.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

premier
02-15-2001, 12:43 AM
Yeah. I do the heavy workout with gloves and some lighter workout without any gloves, but sometimes I go full power too.

The point is: How do you think you'll be able to hit someone in the head, if your hands can't even handle punching the bag?

02-25-2001, 07:41 PM
I get a rash if I don't use gloves. all they are is thin leather.

Kune
03-02-2001, 01:57 AM
Umm... you train how you fight. If you train with gloves on, you will never know what it will be like to actually strike with your hands. Train too much with gloves, you get used to striking as such, when come to striking with your bare fist, you will break your hand. So ya.. train how you intend to fight. But to do this, you will need special jows and stuff ;) Dont want to develop athritis and stuff. But of course, all kungfu systems should have their own conditioning jows.. right? hehe